Volcano Vaporizer is it worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
I considered the volcano but it seems more like a party vape and i perfer vaping in smaller groups. Also my cats ruthlessly attack balloons on sight and i figured they'd do my volcano bags the same way.

YoGranMazPimp,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw
I just purchasesd an SSV Da Buddha Vaporizer and I love it! It was the perfect choice. I shared it with a couple of friends of mine this weekend and they will be purchasing one soon. This thing is perfect for 1 to 4 people. No balloons. Very simple to operate. Not to mention that it is $400 cheaper than the Volcano!! Thanks to everyone who helped me make this great choice for vaping!!!

typeUBOBHUSKER,

weedemon

enthusiast
glad you are enjoying it. so you bought a DBV (a da budda)? the ssv part stands for silver sufer vape which is a different vape :p both are made my 7th floor. and very similar!

either way it sound like you are tickled pink with it. so im glad you are enjoying it!

weedemon,
Thanks for the clarification weedemon. Yes, it is a DBV. It was listed on Ebay under SSV but thank goodness, it turned out to be perfect for me.

typeUBOBHUSKER,

JustOnCloud9

Ate the Kumo Kumo no mi
IMO if you have the kind of pockets to drop money like that and don't mind doing it, then it is totally worth it. I have a friend who owns one, it has gotten me quite baked. I remember my new years eve of 2010 and we must have vaped around an 2 - 3 ounces (I brought some SOUR Diesel:)) with around 15-30 people coming and going in our mini gathering just on the volcano. I don't think there is a better party vape out there. However its apples and oranges when comparing to other vapes. Since I am not the wealthiest person around and I value other things in a vape other than being the life of the party, I would not buy it.

JustOnCloud9,

nucleo

Yeah the volcano is worth it's price. But then again, so is a Ferrari. The question you should be asking yourself is, is it worth spending so much on a vaporizer if you do not plan to make the most out of it. Are you willing to buy it just because people are saying it's the best? You may well be buying it and end up using it just like any other vaporizer on the market... The whole point of owning a volcano is to master it, only then will you be able to turn around and understand what you are able to do with it, you aren't able to with other vaps. And at that point, you will be able to compare and rejoice knowing how better off you are. A lot of people just buy a vaporizer because it's known to be a healthier alternative than smoking. But the truth is.... there is more to it than that... believe me.. much more..

nucleo,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
I was able to pick up a used Digital one off ebay, for a more reasonable price. A year later and I still am finding new tricks this thing can do.
It was my second vape, and it eventually pulled me completely away from combustion. Can't put a price on that.
Also my fridge is filled with giant green cookies, and I have many extra jars of vaped product just lying around. Anyone do anything else but bake with leftovers?

Ratm22,

darkrom

Great Scott!
After having the HA for a day now I'd say right away no it is not worth the money, but it is still a kickass vape. The price is simply too damn high. If I could get a volcano for $200 I would but anything more seems like you are just buying the brand TBH.

darkrom,

headdoctor

Discussion of the Volcano inevitably shifts from its attributes to its cost. It seems impossible to have a conversation about the device that is not framed by its price. But as others have pointed out, cost may be easy to identify but "value" is much harder to pin down. I certainly agree that the Cano is expensive and of course many can't afford it, but it also has strengths that are worth acknowledging, its price notwithstanding. For the right user, it may have terrific value. So we might ask, *cost aside,* how does it compare to other vapes? Or we might ask, over ten years of use, how does its value compare to other vapes? I spent a few very happy months researching all the possibilities and, in the end, got the Volcano. I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted something simple and effective, easy to use and with room to grow--something that *worked*--something durable and something that warmed up fairly quickly. The Volcano has no learning curve, no fussing, no tricky bowls, no easily broken parts. There are almost no issues with the thing. I also didn't want something that looked like a bong or had small glass parts (hence I didn't go for Da Buddha, SSV, etc, though they look excellent). Plus, the Cano has a great resale value. I'm willing to believe that other vapes are great, and of course others have different uses. I'm not knocking any other vape or saying that the Volcano is right for everyone. But the Volcano works really, really well.

headdoctor,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think more people are turned off by the lack of versatility of the 'cano, than the pricepoint imo. If you are a "bag only" person, and have the means to comfortable afford it, then it is the best of the best for that category. I don't think many would argue that point.

Headdoctor brings up very valid points here that I absolutely agree with. I don't care for bags myself, so even though I can afford to buy one, I choose not to.

I think the Volcano is great at what it does, but gets less love than it should here on FC because other delivery methods are more popular these days.
:2c:

Stu,

luchiano

Stu, the volcano is actually more versatile than other vaporizers being that it's a bag system with proper temperature stability and it goes high in temperature. With all these variables you can have all the qualities of the herb in one bag meaning you can have all the taste of the essential oils without burning them due to proper temperature stability, and you can have a high amount of thc, and beta-carophylene(cb2 receptors) because it goes high in temperature. You do this by starting a session with a low temperature to release the essential oils without burning them, then stop the fan from filling the bag and raise the temperature a few degrees and continue to fill the bag again. Do this until you get to 410f-420f,430f so you can get all of the thc and some of the beta-carophylene and finish filling the bag. Doing this will insure you have everything evenly distributed in bag and with each inhale which is great for parties where you want everyone to have an equal distribution of the vapor. I can't think of any vaporizer that does this so easily. It's the closest thing to hitting a joint. The mflb can do it but you have to know how do certain techniques and even then it's not the same but don't get me wrong the mflb is the shit. Once I get my money together I'm getting that digital for these reasons.

luchiano,
Reactions: Ratm22

darkrom

Great Scott!
Stu, the volcano is actually more versatile than other vaporizers being that it's a bag system with proper temperature stability and it goes high in temperature. With all these variables you can have all the qualities of the herb in one bag meaning you can have all the taste of the essential oils without burning them due to proper temperature stability, and you can have a high amount of thc, and beta-carophylene(cb2 receptors) because it goes high in temperature. You do this by starting a session with a low temperature to release the essential oils without burning them, then stop the fan from filling the bag and raise the temperature a few degrees and continue to fill the bag again. Do this until you get to 410f-420f,430f so you can get all of the thc and some of the beta-carophylene and finish filling the bag. Doing this will insure you have everything evenly distributed in bag and with each inhale which is great for parties where you want everyone to have an equal distribution of the vapor. I can't think of any vaporizer that does this so easily. It's the closest thing to hitting a joint. The mflb can do it but you have to know how do certain techniques and even then it's not the same but don't get me wrong the mflb is the shit. Once I get my money together I'm getting that digital for these reasons.

I believe stu was talking about the lack of direct draw, no stems, no whips etc...JUST bags. For someone buying the volcano this should be the obvious drawback besides the price point, but I will say this...I don't know a single person who says the volcano isn't a good bag blower. There are just many bag blowers out there now for 1/3 of the price or less in some cases, and they can actually do direct draw as well, which has the added benefit of silence from lack of a pump.

darkrom,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
What they said.

It's pretty much consensus around most daily users that direct draw / whip vapes are preferred over bags. Bags are great for party or multi-person setting. But most people here are looking for the best vape for them, not for all their buddies.

And while the Volcano is an amazing vape, and has lasted and kept up for years. There are some other bag blowers with newer technology biting at its heels (Oracle)

MarcellusWiley,

max

Out to lunch
... the volcano is actually more versatile than other vaporizers being that it's a bag system with proper temperature stability and it goes high in temperature.
Going up to the verge of combustion is far from unique, and quite a few will go higher, not that that's a plus IMO. And temp stability is also neither unique nor does it = versatility.

max,

luchiano

I believe stu was talking about the lack of direct draw, no stems, no whips etc...JUST bags. For someone buying the volcano this should be the obvious drawback besides the price point, but I will say this...I don't know a single person who says the volcano isn't a good bag blower. There are just many bag blowers out there now for 1/3 of the price or less in some cases, and they can actually do direct draw as well, which has the added benefit of silence from lack of a pump.

I get what he was saying but I'm saying there is no need for direct draw once you do the method I explained. Also, all the other bag vaporizers either don't go that high in temperature or aren't stable in temperature.

luchiano,

luchiano

Going up to the verge of combustion is far from unique, and quite a few will go higher, not that that's a plus IMO. And temp stability is also neither unique nor does it = versatility.

You didn't get what I was trying to explain. It's not just that it goes high in temperature it's that it's an accurate temperature at the time the hot air hits the herb. All the others aren't accurate and you have to figure out yourself what is best which is cool for an approximate number and not needing to know true temperature so you can not burn anything and retain everything you vaped.The volcano may go close to combustion temperatures but it doesn't combust anything whereas other vaporizer do combust the herb if you set it too high and this due to not being accurate and stable in temperature settings.

I can't think of another bag system that is accurate in temperature stability and goes high enough to release enough of the thc and beta-carophylene in one bag using the method I described without getting to hot and not staying within a certain temperature besides the volcano. It's important to know what temperature your air is in order to make sure you vaping the substances you want within the plant and not burn anything. Burning can be done even at low temperatures when your dealing with essential oils so the temperature needs to be stable and when you go higher and want to extract the thc and the beta-carophylene to finish the bag you want the temperature to be stable so the thc doesn't degrade into cbn from the excess hot air and the beta-carophylene get's released without burning the plant fibers because it boils near the plant fibers point of combustion.

luchiano,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I get what he was saying but I'm saying there is no need for direct draw once you do the method I explained. Also, all the other bag vaporizers either don't go that high in temperature or aren't stable in temperature.
Can you define "need"? No need for someone who only likes bags? That, my friend is a very small minority around here.

I don't think you understood my post, but I don't know how to re-state it any clearer than I already have. :horse:

Stu,

luchiano

Stu, you are right. Let me restate I think there is a need for whips when you want to vape at certain temperatures to vape certain substances without a lot of air dilution which bags would give for substances vaped at lower temperatures and the bowl isn't full or using hash/oil. So I agree whips are still needed to experience vaporizing at another end of the spectrum. Both bags and whips should be part of your arsenal to experience all the ways vaporizing can be experienced as long as you have good techniques and knowledge to use them to their fullest.

BTW, when I use the word "need", I mean to have the "need" to experience all of the herb at it's fullest which certain vaporizers and techniques will give you once you find one's which are well built and give accurate and stable temperatures and use them at their best with good techniques. Too many vaporizers don't accomplish this which doesn't allow you to experience herb at it's fullest which is why a lot of people don't like vaporizing and choose to smoke because when you smoke something like a joint you are releasing low temperature substances as well as higher compounds all at once which give a quick and powerful hit. Unfortunately it isn't the best way to experience this but using a vaporizer that is well built is better and using a bag with the stop and go technique can also be even better because the bag acts as a lung and holds all the non degraded vapor and allows you to take small tokes as you would with a joint. Only the MLFB can come close to this but there are times when you may want just the taste of the herb with some canabinoids like cbd, cbn and some thc or just some essential oils by themselves and this where whips come in because they allow you to experience these substances without a lot of air dilution and you can take small tokes which is something nothing else can do besides vaporizers. So it's all on how you feel at the time.

luchiano,

headdoctor

Aside: Yes, the Volcano is great for sharing with friends, but I'm don't understand why folks say that it's not a good solo vape. I use mine by myself all the time. I suppose if you want to get only a small, single hit it's not ideal, but it's not complicated to fill a bag half way, which (for me) is two inhalations. No fuss, no muss.

headdoctor,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Aside: Yes, the Volcano is great for sharing with friends, but I'm don't understand why folks say that it's not a good solo vape. I use mine by myself all the time. I suppose if you want to get only a small, single hit it's not ideal, but it's not complicated to fill a bag half way, which (for me) is two inhalations. No fuss, no muss.

It's not the "complication factor" for solo use honestly. Most people on this forum want HUGE vapor clouds and the ability to get them through water filtration. The volcano is easy to use and can do a number of things but when it comes to bags vs directly inhaling the vapor, its no question that bags are more "wasteful" in the respect that a lot of vapor gets condensed onto the bags.

Most people just find it easier as a solo user to get a vape that works in many versatile ways (mainly with their water pipes/bubblers though) and at many different temperature settings.

Now the volcano CAN do these things, but at 450 to 600 dollars. (used to new approx.)

My EQ can do all the same things (and more) and I really can't imagine getting any better bag vapor through a volcano...and it costs around 150 dollars.

But when it comes down to it. Most people that buy vapes that can blow bags and direct draw/whip will end up using the latter for solo use. You just can't get the huge satisfying lung busting hits from the bags IMO. (which is what more people are looking for than not...look at the VapeXhale Cloud thread)

MarcellusWiley,
Reactions: Stu

headdoctor

In response to Marcellus Wiley's good post: I've used whips and actually prefer bags for my purposes. Also, after nearly 35 years of combustion and (now) vaping, I'm actually not looking for huge lung busting hits and in some ways don't really understand the appeal, though I'm sure I would have back in the day. Anyway, the point I really wanted to make is that discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the Volcano as a vaporizer always seems to circle back to its cost, which can be misleading and beside the point. It can be misleading because the original price must be measured against other factors, especially durability, but really anything that one *values* in a vaporizer; and it's beside the point for those who can afford it but have questions about how well the thing works. More generally, there's an inconsistency out here (and I'm NOT talking about your response, which seems entirely reasonable): on the one hand, there's a kind of mantra that there's no "best" vaporizer, no vaporizer that's right for everyone, etc; but then on the other hand people denigrate the Volcano for being too expensive (or too limited, etc). It really seems to me that the Underdog is awesome at what it does, the EQ at what it does, and the Volcano has a pretty impressive track record at what it does. As for the Cloud, undoubtedly part of its value right now is the thrill of the Next Big Thing and the pleasure of being part of community's moment; and who can put a price on that?

headdoctor,
Reactions: Ratm22

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I consider the Volcano a newbie vape. It's what you see smokers on other forums recommending to people who want to get into vaporizing, most likely because it's the only vape they've heard of. All that stuff about temperatures and different compounds, etc - do any experienced vaporists really care about this? I thought I did when I got my herbalaire, but the novelty wears off quickly and I eventually found myself keeping the temperature dial maxed out anyway.

The thing with bags is that I ended up feeling like some kind of junkie, sucking stuff out of a bag. There's just something a bit weird about it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. Also the whole process makes noise, with the pump and the noise of the bags themselves. Really doesn't suit my quiet lifestyle. After getting a log vape, the whole bag thing just seems like some overcomplicated contraption that feels unnatural and lacks style. I get just as good results with my log vape but with far less fuss.

hazy,
Reactions: Stu
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom