Volcanic Rock Vapor Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

duh

Awhile back I bought a Vapor Genie knock off in Venice Beach that works off the concept of a pumice stone or volcanic rock. They have become really popular here in LA. However, once I got home and had 1 drag, I did some R&D and stopped using it.

It's obvious they just drop all the parts in vats of lead paint, regardless of whether the part is part of air intake. Not to get too gross, but some of it vaped off on just 1 session. So - is there any way to rid this thing of the poisons back to just the aluminum body?

Anyone else come across these types of pipes?

Right now, I have the portable department solved but this could be a backup scenario I was hoping...

duh,

captainhits

Retailer
Just get one that dosent have the miniscule drop of excess paint inside. I have the 14mm gong attachment and can confidently say I have not found a safer, simpler or better hitting vaporizer on the market. HANDS DOWN. I've owned a PD (overcooked herb and spot charred, car adapter=undercooked), hotbox, volcano (what a joke), and tried the ssv. All either way too complicated and/or bullshit hits! Yeah the ssv can give good hits if you don't mind setting up a science project before taking your hit, and don't mind your sweet hit flowing through PLASTIC TUBING! NO THANKS! I'm a purist and prefer a straight shot and without plastics to distort the flavor. If you draw through a plastic tube 'dry' (no herb) you can taste plastic. So obviously it will have a less pure flavor.

If I haden't found the Vaporbuddy gong, Id be smoking right now. That's what turned me out. None of the other vapes gave me the pureness of flavor. And it was $40. All the other expensive vapes IMO are garbage. Show me one that's as simple and effective as the Vaporbuddy and ill pay $1000 at the drop of a hat. The only vape I'm considering is the VHW if it ever gets out of the beta mode and gets a gong attachment.

captainhits,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Invest in the Vaporgenie, I went back and had a bowl last night after 4 days of hammering my new SSV.

It blew thick CLOUDS, best $55 I spent.

Show me one that's as simple and effective as the Vaporbuddy and ill pay $1000 at the drop of a hat. The only vape I'm considering is the VHW if it ever gets out of the beta mode and gets a gong attachment.
Why not just get the VHW + water tool for $300? It's not standard GonG joints but it's still glass.

Checkout the Herborizer, there's definitely some solid support behind these units.

Chubba,

captainhits

Retailer
Chubba said:
Invest in the Vaporgenie, I went back and had a bowl last night after 4 days of hammering my new SSV.

It blew thick CLOUDS, best $55 I spent.

Show me one that's as simple and effective as the Vaporbuddy and ill pay $1000 at the drop of a hat. The only vape I'm considering is the VHW if it ever gets out of the beta mode and gets a gong attachment.
Why not just get the VHW + water tool for $300? It's not standard GonG joints but it's still glass.

Checkout the Herborizer, there's definitely some solid support behind these units.
I have the vaporgenie and it blows chunks. First they dont make a bong attachment. Second, the hits tastes horrendous and harsh (IMO). I use it as a last resort on the road only. Plus I don't care what the manufacturer says trying to hype theirs over the VB. The quality of the VG is mediocre at best.

I want a VHW but they are simply not up to par yet. Just a few days ago stonemonkey announced that they figured out why the glass heaters were cracking on cool down...

Will check the herborizer out... thanks

captainhits,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I've had no problems with my Genie.

Gives big clouds, smooth/clean vapor with no scorching.

It's not an everyday vape for me, I wouldn't want to subject my lungs to either butane or burning wick daily.

I know what you mean about tasting plastic off the SSV whip but IMO it still tastes cleaner then the VG hits (which taste 100x better then smoking). All the tubing is approved safe, mine barely even raises a few degrees in temperature RIGHT where it attaches to the whip.

I DEFINITELY want to move to a 100% glass setup. I wonder if someone will create a 100% glass airway, no contact with any material bar glass... mmm tasty.

Chubba,

lwien

captainhits said:
I've owned a PD (overcooked herb and spot charred
That happened to me also. Sent it back to Tom and he found that it had a resistor that was out of spec. He fixed it, sent it back, and now, no overcooking or spot charring.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
lwien said:
captainhits said:
I've owned a PD (overcooked herb and spot charred
That happened to me also. Sent it back to Tom and he found that it had a resistor that was out of spec. He fixed it, sent it back, and now, no overcooking or spot charring.
Me too, received it back with an A ok on all parts. Thuroughly tested it again and sent it back for a refund. Pictures speak for themselves. The spot charred pics is using the wall wart. The green pic is using the car adapter. The side by side pics show the two compared...the spotting is less defined only because I spun the tube a bit. The last 3 pics are for good measure. :razz:

captainhits,

lwien

Yeah, but it's still brown. Isn't dark brown what we're after for fully vaped weed? I wouldn't call that charring. With mine, the charring was black with a bit of white ash. I would say that yours looks pretty normal.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
If this topic is as stated 'VAPOR BUDDY' it should be in the model specific Vaporizer Discussion, not here imo....and it's also mistitled/misrepresented with 'volcanic rock' as the filter is ceramic, not volcanic rock.

captainhits,

captainhits

Retailer
lwien said:
Yeah, but it's still brown. I wouldn't call that charring. With mine, the charring was black with a bit of white ash. I would say that yours looks pretty normal.
I don't think there's any question about the hotspots and the undercooking...according to one of the foremost experts on this forum (unnamed unless he chooses to say) "From what you're telling me, and the pics show it, you do have a problem. That's a serious 'hot spot', and it sounds like you have a real problem with the car adapter too."

captainhits,

lwien

Yeah, I get that spot too after the first hit. But after about 3 to 4 hits, when I empty the bowl, it is pretty evenly vaped with no black charring at all.

I think a lot of it has to do with how hard you hit it. I don't know about you, but I take a FULL lung full with a slow draw on every hit, so things do get a bit toasty, but I wouldn't say that it's overcooked, but rather well vaped.

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
captainhits that definitely doesn't look acceptable.

That's the sort of results I would get if I never rotated or stirred my SSV or if I held the lighter completely stationary using the VG.

I read the entire 100 page thread (my PD is coming in the mail atm), everyone seemed to agree the PD perfectly and evenly cooked the entire bowl, that was the major plus in the design... the tiny bowl that required no stirring or special technique to get an even cook.

Something doesn't add up.

Chubba,

lwien

Chubba said:
captainhits that definitely doesn't look acceptable.

That's the sort of results I would get if I never rotated or stirred my SSV or if I held the lighter completely stationary using the VG.

I read the entire 100 page thread (my PD is coming in the mail atm), everyone seemed to agree the PD perfectly and evenly cooked the entire bowl, that was the major plus in the design... the tiny bowl that required no stirring or special technique to get an even cook.

Something doesn't add up.
Chubba, it tends to look like that after the first hit, but when you reinsert the stem for subsequent hits, you never put it in the exact same spot, so eventually, you DO get an evenly cooked bowl.

lwien,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
captainhits said:
I have the 14mm gong attachment and can confidently say I have not found a safer, simpler or better hitting vaporizer on the market.
You've got some work to do to convince me that this thing is the safest vaporizer on the market.

Also, captainhits...how many hits did that PD bowl get before the pics were taken?

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Yep, Vaporbuddy's have been tested to have unsafe levels of toxic lead paint inside the bowls. Maybe some are ok. Is it worth the risk? Especially when there are far better vapes out there?

How captainhits can "confidently say I have not found a safer, simpler or better hitting vaporizer on the market. HANDS DOWN". is beyond me.

Well, to go on and say that the PD, SSV, Volcano and VG are all trash would point to user error. I can tell just by the pics he posted that those PD bowls are packed way too tightly.

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
^^that's where I was going. The third and fifth pic look like what I get after one hit. By the time I'm done with three or four hits the whole thing is an even brown. And I have no idea how he got the bowl packed nice and level that far down into the tube. My tubes are always level at the top or just below as my finger tamps it in a little. I fear captainhits may have missed out on some good times due to user error.

stickstones,

lwien

vtac said:
Well, to go on and say that the PD, SSV, Volcano and VG are all trash would point to user error.
Some of the most well reviewed and respected vapes on the market by sooooo many people, that I find it impossible to believe that they're all trash from the review of one person.

And yeah, I totally agree with stickstones above (see post #14).

lwien,

The_Algebraist

stickstones said:
I fear captainhits may have missed out on some good times due to user error.
Hm, is this more of a technique issue? The herb looks like step 1 in the 3 to 4 phase PD hittin' process... I have also ended up with a nice and evenly cooked bowl at the end as well. Additionally, I thought that user error was the final diagnosis on this situation?

Another user reported scorching, to the forum. He had his PD only hours... He did not go to the mfg first. Turns out that user error and protruding material from the bowl caused his problems, along with possible draw speed issues, yet he condemned the crossbar, resistor and a few other items as the cause of his woes. After learning to load the bowl properly has reported (to me) that he likes the PD. The same user also came to the forum reporting he had a problem with the car adapter. After testing the car adapter in our facility we have found nothing wrong. The fuse is good, the wire is good, the plug is good. Only conclusion again is impatience and user error.
If a refund were issued in this case it would fall more in line with a seller honoring a 'satisfaction guaranteed' as opposed to 'faulty unit', no? Just out of curiosity, why so many posts casting the PD (and the SSV, Volcano and VG???!!!!) in a negative light? I think we get the point in this particular situation.

The_Algebraist,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Duh, could you explain a bit more about what makes you refer to this unit as the 'volcanic rock vapor buddy' (is that name on the packaging/from memory, could it be the volcanic rock somethingelse or the standard vapor buddy?)--it seems futile to further discuss this until we are certain about what the unit described by Duh as the "Volcanic Rock Vapor Buddy" really is.Captainhits, I am glad that you are happy with the Vapor buddy (and that the need for you estimate how much heat to apply to the heating element and the use of a butane-gas-powered flame to heat it do not bother you).

Captainhits, I find myself baffled at the descriptions of how difficult other units are (when that is the main factor that keeps me from being interested in the flame powered units).

Everyone has the right to their own opinions, but you will never hear me stating that the "Vapor Buddy is crap" as fact (even though I worry about any company that would release any vaporizers with paint in the Vaporpath and feel that the effort needed to ensure that enough/not too much heat is applied is just too much for me to deal with when relaxing for a vape, despite the unit's cost).

Captainhits, Could you please explain what the Vapor Buddy has to offer that may make it worthwhile to look for one that does not have paint in the vapor path instead of getting one of the many other flame powered vaporizers?

Thank you to all who contribute (hope this helps).

Progress,

duh

It took me awhile to find the thread had moved. I had some real good chuckles! Captainhits, thanks for stirring up the pot! :)

Progress, I have seen the Vapor Genie and this is not it - there was no label or package. The top of the lid looks like the top of the MTV Movie Award popcorn - its a rock cluster. The rock gets visibly hot. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and put them in this thread.

duh,

captainhits

Retailer
stickstones said:
captainhits said:
I have the 14mm gong attachment and can confidently say I have not found a safer, simpler or better hitting vaporizer on the market.
You've got some work to do to convince me that this thing is the safest vaporizer on the market.

Also, captainhits...how many hits did that PD bowl get before the pics were taken?
Well its really just a small piece of metal with a ceramic filter. The distance the vapor travels through it is about an inch. The only contention is the tiny speck of paint that some had on the inside. Easily removed if found. In regards to the hits its just a matter of proper positioning of the lighter and a bit of technique and they are as thick as the herb can provide.

The PD bowl was hit 1-2 times in those pics. The side by side pick having turned the tube a bit causing a slightly less defined spotting.

captainhits,

captainhits

Retailer
vtac said:
Yep, Vaporbuddy's have been tested to have unsafe levels of toxic lead paint inside the bowls. Maybe some are ok. Is it worth the risk? Especially when there are far better vapes out there?

How captainhits can "confidently say I have not found a safer, simpler or better hitting vaporizer on the market. HANDS DOWN". is beyond me.

Well, to go on and say that the PD, SSV, Volcano and VG are all trash would point to user error. I can tell just by the pics he posted that those PD bowls are packed way too tightly.
If you find one with a speck of paint inside it can (and should) be cleaned off.
To correct, about the others Ive tried I said they were either too complicated or bs, quite different conclusions.

In regards to packing, to quote myself from my post on the PD thread:

captainhits said:
lol, I loaded the thing probably 200 times and I've got full functioning senses :D. It was loaded all 2 different ways possible. All with the same results.
Again i'm open to finding a better vape just haven't yet. I'm presently reading the Herborizer forum and becoming very interested in it.

captainhits,

captainhits

Retailer
stickstones said:
^^that's where I was going. The third and fifth pic look like what I get after one hit. By the time I'm done with three or four hits the whole thing is an even brown. And I have no idea how he got the bowl packed nice and level that far down into the tube. My tubes are always level at the top or just below as my finger tamps it in a little. I fear captainhits may have missed out on some good times due to user error.
sorry to be redundant but...

captainhits said:
lol, I loaded the thing probably 200 times and I've got full functioning senses :D. It was loaded all 2 different ways possible. All with the same results.

captainhits,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom