very nice inexpensive wood pipes, dugouts and one hitters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
momofthegoons said:
Ed, I showed the two tubes I got from you to a good friend of mine who also has a Zap. He has wished for one for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in stock in the next month or so. The new wood you have coming sounds very cool.

I'm curious; which woods turn out the smoothest and polish up the best? I've noticed the Cocobolo tube I have is much smoother than the myrtle. Are some of the new woods you have coming also like that?
The Myrtle you got is definitely softer wood than the Cocobolo and does not shine nearly as well as the Coco. The new woods I have coming are gonna be the finest the world has to offer. The Amboyna and the Afzelia are the rarest woods of the world. They are dense and have a tight grain, they finish well and polish even finer. The Buck Eye is a soft wood like the Myrtle, it finishes better the the Myr. and has so many different colors in it. The Amboyna and Afzelia are both Asian are only sold by the lb. where most lumber is sold by the bdf. its gonna be a little more pricey than my others but when you see em, you will know why. Just you wait, these new pieces will make for a great gift!

What are you thoughts and experiences with those tubes now after you have spent some time with them? How bout gunky build up with in the wood, do you have any? How bout cleaning, hows all that going? Please share all your feelings!

Ed's TnT,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I've enjoyed the tubes very much. I haven't had to clean them yet, although I think after last night the stem tip on my cocbolo, which has gotten the most use, is ready. A quick iso soak and it will be good as new. There has been no need to clean the wooden tube itself. Personally, I'm not too concerned about reclaiming resin from these tubes. I don't use them exclusively, so there's plenty elsewhere to harvest. So, in this respect, it's nice that the stem tips are removable for cleaning.

Not only are these tubes nice to look at, the draw is great. IMO, these tubes would be perfect for a noob to the log vapes. Often, draw can be an issue when the stem has been packed too tightly. These tubes allow for more draw so the perfect stem pack isn't as critical.

momofthegoons,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
momofthegoons said:
I've enjoyed the tubes very much. I haven't had to clean them yet, although I think after last night the stem tip on my cocbolo, which has gotten the most use, is ready. A quick iso soak and it will be good as new. There has been no need to clean the wooden tube itself. Personally, I'm not too concerned about reclaiming resin from these tubes. I don't use them exclusively, so there's plenty elsewhere to harvest. So, in this respect, it's nice that the stem tips are removable for cleaning.

Not only are these tubes nice to look at, the draw is great. IMO, these tubes would be perfect for a noob to the log vapes. Often, draw can be an issue when the stem has been packed too tightly. These tubes allow for more draw so the perfect stem pack isn't as critical.
Good deal, I am really glad you addressed the draw of them. I am a heavy hitter myself, I have stated it many times, I like a full heavy charge of vapor, guess cause I am so used to smoke. The inside diameter is a little larger than the normal tubes, just for that reason of being able to draw larger clouds. Thank you for stating your findings!

I should have those exotics this week, the Amboyna is gonna have some live edge which will be interesting to see. Have only seen the live edge in pics and such, my pieces I work are always clean and blocked out. Got a super sweet piece of Red Mallee Burl from Australia that has the whole outer side being live edge. The eyes protrude about a 1/2" or more away from it and are very sharp, will actually prick you if you grab it to hard.

Thanks for the post and your feedback Mom.

Ed's TnT,

stinkmeaner

Afzelia is expensive, just a quick search revealed that a 6" X 6" X 11" chunk goes for $247, that is a lot of greenbacks for some wood, good thing your products are relatively small because you were building tables or something then you would be serving a very plush clientele. The regular wood doesn't seem that outrageous because they make flooring from it but I guess the trees don't produce that much burl.

stinkmeaner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Yes the Afzelia is very expensive just as the Amboyna is. There is a guy that makes Amboyna rocking chairs that go for as much as $35K, he is a true craftsman that does amazing work. You can check him out here http://sarasotarockers.com/amboynaburl.htm I think you will be really dig his work. I will take some pics of the pieces just so you will have an idea of is to come this next week. I have a few choice pieces of Afzelia put back right now that are packed full of bright eyes and two tone that is gorgeous.

My guy actually goes home to Laos every few months or so to gather it and pkg it to send to where he lives now in Cali, he says it grows on the trees that have fallen many many years ago in the forests and is truely an adventure exploring thru the dense woods to find it and recover it.

Ed's TnT,

Beezleb

Glad I stopped in. I have always of heard of these artist who work with the super expensive extremely rare woods and its great to see one. Amazing work.

Beezleb,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
How bout it Beezleb, glad you stopped by as well, hope to put you in one of my TnT one day if you like.

I am working with a guy at Treating Yourself Mag. that said him and his wife were shopping for high priced cabinets for their home and ran across some made from Amboyna, he told her they were way outa their budget, and thought it was funny I sent him a couple pieces for a review not long after they saw em.

Ed's TnT,

Beezleb

I really like your regular boxes. I will pick one up when you get the big one in stock. Also, have you considered looking into carrying kief/shaker boxes. With all your wooden stuff and great wood it just seems like a perfect fit but just a thought.

Beezleb,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I Should have some of the bigger boxes in soon, gotta place an order in a week or so for some other things just wanna get it all at once. I have never seen any kief/shaker boxes in person, just glanced at em a time or two online, not really sure how they would do. I do know of a guy out in Cali that hand makes some really sweet ones that would go well with my line but just dont know of their popularity. Can you give me some info B?

Ed's TnT,

stinkmeaner

Wow those rocking chairs are expensive, even the ebony version is like 6 grand which tells me that he is simply charging too much. They are nice and all but one thing to consider is that people have been making similar chairs for hundreds if not thousands of years and now with commercial production furniture dominating the market a guy like that can get away with charging an outrageous amount of cash for something that would have been a normal chair no more than a hundred years ago.

Similar case in point is the business of straight razors and knifes, you now have to pay thousands of dollars for a handmade knife that was just a normal practice not long ago. One example are American straight razor makers, most of these guys have only been making razors for a few years and they are charging like $1,500 a piece, then you can Heribert Wacker which has 50 years of experience and still charges around $300. Your prices Ed are reasonable but it seems most American craftsmen are greedy, handmade or not.

This brings me to an idea, I bet you (Ed) could make a great shaving brush and DE razor handle with equipment you already have.
This one is made of Afzelia:

stinkmeaner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I must agree Stink, some people charge way to much for these woods, I have seen small ink pens turned from Amboyna go for as much as a couple hundred, its outrageous. My guy is the most reasonable dealer I have seen for these various woods, he does not try to rip anyone off nor does he ever have bad wood, his is exceptional and is the only one that has this super high grade of figured pieces. His pieces are very rare and if your lucky enough to get one of his you know why. These woods I feel are becoming increasingly harder to find and the price for these are just gonna go higher and higher. I have been working these for a few years now and have seen the demand go as with the prices. I have even been buying up as much of it as I can just to have some in the future.

Your idea for some sweet shaving tools is a good one, just gotta find the time to have a little fun turning those out, time for fun right now is something that is mostly spent with my kids watching them ride MX or playing ball.

I do have a big stick of Ebony on the way as well as the others.

Ed's TnT,

stinkmeaner

I was referring more of the craftsman rather than the price of the woods, I think some American craftsman have a motto "Price it high and they will buy" due to the materialistic nature of our country. It seems to get things made in America you have to pay such enormous premiums. This is no reflection on you because your prices are great and about the same as some places charge for Chinese made equivalents.

Question for you Ed, what kind of lathe do you use? I wanted to upgrade my mini lathe to a larger American lathe and looked at the Robust lathe, these guys are a start up company with no history and make there lathes from sheet metal and tubing rather than cast iron and they have priced there lathes as high as companies that have been around for ages. There lathes are not even that innovative, I wish wood lathe companies would look towards metal lathes for inspiration and develop a sliding carriage like this lathe I want you look at.

Check this one out http://www.lignolathe.com/en/technical_description/index.htm To see the innovation compared to a regular lathe you really have to flip through the pages and sections, it does spiral routing, fluting, copy turning, and more from one basic attachment that they call the combi carriage.

stinkmeaner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Stink I use a Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" Bench-Top Wood Lathe, its a small one and for the small work that I do it works great. It has handled all I have put through it and continues to work well. I have a couple machines from Grizzly and gotta say that they are who I look to first when looking for great wood working tools and machines. I would like to get a larger one when I have the room for it. I would like to spin some really large pieces one day.

The Lathe you linked to is a very nice one indeed and and should do everything you could want. For all the work the Ligno will do, it has got to be the shit!

Ed's TnT,

Beezleb

Ed's TnT said:
I Should have some of the bigger boxes in soon, gotta place an order in a week or so for some other things just wanna get it all at once. I have never seen any kief/shaker boxes in person, just glanced at em a time or two online, not really sure how they would do. I do know of a guy out in Cali that hand makes some really sweet ones that would go well with my line but just dont know of their popularity. Can you give me some info B?
I emailed you.

Beezleb,

stinkmeaner

What caught my attention of the Ligno is at the design work and decorating work you can do with it, but then I saw the price of 6,000-7,000 Euros and I attention started wavering. I have what looks to be the same lathe but branded Jet with variable speed and I can't fault it, picked it up from craigslist not too long ago and it is nice and sturdy. I just do it as a hobby but I would like to do some bigger stuff to that is why I was looking at lathes, some of the Youtube videos are insane with people turning what looks to be whole trees on their lathes.

Have you ever tried to stabilize your wood? I thought about trying to stabilize a pen.

stinkmeaner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
stinkmeaner said:
Have you ever tried to stabilize your wood? I thought about trying to stabilize a pen.
I am a naturalist when it comes to my wood, I dont like to add anything to it that Mother Nature didnt give it to start with. I have had people email me wanting me to put their names and initials and such in the wood, I wont do it, I like my pieces to speak for themselves, they are finished sanded, sealed, and buffed to perfection but are always just as Mother Nature intended them. Engraving and all that is cool on some stuff and cool for others to do it, just not me.

I feel that for some work like turning pens, stabilizing wood, would be a good idea, you can definitely get colors in the wood that dont come naturally.

8k Euro is a hella price for something that will do all that. I am sure its worth every bit.

B, I got your email and am gonna do some research and see what I come up with. I do some ad linking with bcboxes, so I need to look into them and their products more. What I have seen just glancing at their work is nice.

Ed's TnT,

stinkmeaner

Yeah I didn't mean for pipes and such considering that the stabilizing products are probably toxic if heated and inhaled. I was going to try it on a pen with the CA method hardener.

stinkmeaner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I figured you meant for the pens, pls let me know how it goes for you. I live in a rural part of MS. so there really isnt anyone around that is into turning that I know of or anything else that I am. Its hard to find a descent sak round here. JeffP is talking about Chemdawg and diesel, people down here have never heard of such an animal.

Ed's TnT,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hey Ed, we may have nice strains like Chemdawg with complimentary delivery, but you have a backyard!

jeffp,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Speaking of complimentary delivery....... huh.........!

Hahahaha thats funny, I do have a big back yard, it is nice, my boys have hella room to move around and get stupid!

Ed's TnT,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I just got a big chunk of two tone Asian Amboyna Burl, its hard to see from the wide sides how the eyes go all the way from the heartwood through to the golden sap wood. Its gonna be alota fun cutting it up and working it.
1-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Ed's TnT,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
It finishes and polishes like marble. Two tone like this piece with eyes like this is very rare, this piece is a one of a kind.

Ed's TnT,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
momofthegoons said:
reece, I would still recommend twisting those tips after each use and cleaning them often. I had gotten lazy and left the tip in my Cocobolo tube without cleaning it. Didn't even think about it until a conversation with Rick. Checked it and sure enough, it was completely stuck. Heating the stem didn't budge it. I had to use pliers to get it out and pretty much trashed the tip. So, my feeling is, better safe than sorry. Doesn't take much effort to give it a little twist once it cools down and saves the angst of a stuck one. Didn't have this problem with my Tooties because I'm constantly cleaning them. I love the look of clean glass stems. But with the wood stem, I wasn't as "aware" since you can't see the resin build up.

Mom I got this quote over at the MZ thread, hope you stop by here to see this, is the tip trashed or is it the insert? I am sure you have extra inserts if that is the problem, if you dont I could get you one out if you like, sure hope it not the tip in the tube? Holla back if I can help.

Ed's TnT,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom