Vaporizer for elderly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsfan

Everyone has been extremely helpful... I wasn't expecting such a great response!

She has very bad arthritis and her hands do shake. That is one of the main symptoms that MJ helps. I looked at Vito's info page and it sounds like that guy deserves some kind of medal for everything he has gone through and everything he knows. I'll email him as well.

Right now I am leaning towards both an HA and a UD. Then she can try both and I'll just keep whichever one she doesn't use. Then everyone is happy :-)

SD_haze

Everyone has been extremely helpful... I wasn't expecting such a great response!

She has very bad arthritis and her hands do shake. That is one of the main symptoms that MJ helps. I looked at Vito's info page and it sounds like that guy deserves some kind of medal for everything he has gone through and everything he knows. I'll email him as well.

Right now I am leaning towards both an HA and a UD. Then she can try both and I'll just keep whichever one she doesn't use. Then everyone is happy :-)

I can see 1 issue with the underdog & arthritis.

Unlike the rockzap and other log vapes, the "stem" (the mouthpiece and the bowl) is made with a silicon tube and a screen just pushed in there. The rockzap's screen (in comparison) is securely fit in with a retaining ring so that it can never come out if you poke at it.

The underdog however, you can just push it out. This is a nice feature for people who like to mod & play around with different stem setups, but she probably wants something that is always good to go without messing around too much.

BUT definitely still think getting both and let her try is the best choice. You could always make her a bunch of pre-made stems at once so that would kind of solve that issue.

Vitolo

Vaporist
My Grandmother has ..........
Does anyone have any insight into what would be best for an elderly woman?

Thanks!
I work with a dozen seniors (MMJ Patients) .. most over 80 and with poor manual dexterity.
I thank momofthegoons for her confidence and recommendation.
I would not mind talking with your granny at all.. to "feel her out", and get and idea of her needs.
PM me, we can talk on phone or Skype or just email.
On skype, I am able to demonstrate the handling, dismantling , and parts changeout of each model... as I observe the way the person moves their hands at keyboard etc.
If you think speaking with me would benefit you or Granny.. I am here to help~

djonkoman

I can see 1 issue with the underdog & arthritis.

Unlike the rockzap and other log vapes, the "stem" (the mouthpiece and the bowl) is made with a silicon tube and a screen just pushed in there. The rockzap's screen (in comparison) is securely fit in with a retaining ring so that it can never come out if you poke at it.

The underdog however, you can just push it out. This is a nice feature for people who like to mod & play around with different stem setups, but she probably wants something that is always good to go without messing around too much.

BUT definitely still think getting both and let her try is the best choice. You could always make her a bunch of pre-made stems at once so that would kind of solve that issue.
in my experience the screen in the silicone stem is pretty solid/steady in there, the first time I wanted to remove the screen to clean it I actually had a hard time getting it loose and out of there(untill I discovered my present technique, wich is first pushing in the stem at that place to push/bend the screen together so there's room, then push it out toward the mouthend)
the screens in my silicone underdogstems have never come out or moved while that was not my attention. I can wack them at the closet next to me to get stuck bits out without dislodging the screen.
glass stem is another story, if the thinner silicone from the glass stem is in use for a while it becomes a bit looser and the glass part can slide out

poking also has never been a problem, altough it maybe could of you are poking very roughly

djonkoman,

dsfan

She saw the Vapir NO2 on TV and like the idea of using something like that. So I'm currently researching that one as well. There are so many choices...

dsfan,
Reactions: Vitolo

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
i work in a nursing home with the elderly everyday to aid those with Alzheimer's/Dementia on a daily basis and have always thought that a log vape/a bag blowing vaporizer would be perfect for them. a log vape is very simple to use and can provide a warmth like my UD does that some may find therapeutic. however, a bag blowing vape would also be a very good choice since, again, it is very simple to use. having both would most likely be the best route just to cover the bases you would like.

i've always hoped that MMJ would be passed and i would begin to see more vaporizers in my work since they would provide such great benefits.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I know of quite a few elderly patients with an NO2.
It is all self contained.. no stem to load or hold, and only one hand needed!
I know of a couple that love Zaps also.. but for those with limited dexterity the NO2 is a plus.

Vitolo,

dsfan

I need to put this to bed and make a purchase. I've researched this for hours and there are so many choices, it is hard to find the right fit. The no2 looks perfect for her, but I have a reservation about safety... I read the no2 thread and I know about the water soaking, don't try to burn out the smell, etc. I'm still concerned that she may end up inhaling plastic or other chemicals. I'm also not sure how respected the company is, do they even care about safety (or just money)? The rockZap sounds like it could be a good fit as well, but it isn't as flexible (not portable, cannot dial in the temperature easily).

I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the morning. I guess I can always ask for a refund if needed. Does anyone know if gotvape is reputable and if they are an authorized seller for the NO2?

dsfan,

Vitolo

Vaporist
PuffitUp Is where I would go. They are the ones likely to help with a refund if you have trouble.
They also have a reputation more favorable than does Gotvape, according to the number of comparisons put forth here and on other forums.

pyloric

I need to put this to bed and make a purchase. I've researched this for hours and there are so many choices, it is hard to find the right fit. The no2 looks perfect for her, but I have a reservation about safety... I read the no2 thread and I know about the water soaking, don't try to burn out the smell, etc. I'm still concerned that she may end up inhaling plastic or other chemicals. I'm also not sure how respected the company is, do they even care about safety (or just money)? The rockZap sounds like it could be a good fit as well, but it isn't as flexible (not portable, cannot dial in the temperature easily).

I'm going to sleep on it and decide in the morning. I guess I can always ask for a refund if needed. Does anyone know if gotvape is reputable and if they are an authorized seller for the NO2?

~Sorry about the above blank. I'm just finding out how to operate a reply. simply wanted to say that you are a wonderful grandson and I am touched by your compassion. Thanks from all us grannys

Mod note: Just hit the edit button and you can revise your post up to 6 hours from the original post.

dsfan

~Sorry about the above blank. I'm just finding out how to operate a reply. simply wanted to say that you are a wonderful grandson and I am touched by your compassion. Thanks from all us grannys

That is very kind of you. She helped raise me and has done a lot more for me than I can possibly do for her. I just want to see her safe and healthy.

Best wishes!

dsfan,
Reactions: pyloric

dsfan

So today I went ahead and bought the no2. For the price I wish I could feel a little more comfortable about the safety, but I'm hopeful it will be fine. I will probably purchase a log vape as well (down the road).

I thought it might be helpful to others if I summarized my thought process and why I chose the no2. There is only so much you can learn over the course of a week.... These remarks may be off base, but they are the opinion I have formed through my research.

Vapes considered:

• HA, Extreme-Q - Both of these seemed like a good fit. I do know someone with an extreme q and it does work nice. The reasons I did not go for one of these is because she said she did not like the idea of using a bag, and because they are more complex and possibly less efficient. They sound like great vapes, but not for this situation. The extreme-q is also more fragile due to glass parts.
  • Buddha, SSV, etc - These sound great, but just too much vape for our needs.
  • Solo - This one sounds so promising but I was worried about a few things. The early models had loose stems which could fall out (and possibly burn). It sounds like they have fixed this issue in most of the new models, but it is still a concern. The other issue is that it sounds like the draw is a little bit more restricted. Lastly, it sounded like they may not have the greatest customer service. I may consider one of these down the road.
  • MFLB - I've used one. It is great for what it is - a very small stealthy vape. However, it has a bigger learning curve. It also seems to depend on quality of herb (dryness, etc), the grind, battery strength etc. It just didnt seem right.
  • Log Vapes - These are my second choice. The only reason I did not get one was because it is not quite as portable and does not have temperature control (unless you use a variable voltage supply).
  • Finally the Vapir NO2. This one is a good fit on paper. Biggest concerns are that it has a lot of plastic, and I am hoping that the hot air path does not contain anything harmful. I emailed Vapir with some questions and they were quick to respond. My only real concern here is safety and I plan to inspect it very carefully. Assuming I feel it is safe upon inspection, I think it will be a good fit.
I feel very welcomed here and I thank everyone for their help!

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I can't fault you for your thorough research, dsfan. I think you have served your grandmother proud by diligently researching this topic.

I've never tried the NO2 myself, but I sure hope it works out well for her.

Good luck to you. :tup:

:peace:

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
glad you did the research here and found one that you think is suitable for your grandmother. please let us know how she feels about it! i would love to hear her opinion.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Glad you made your choice and I hope she enjoys the NO2. While some of them have odour issues, if you purchased it from a reputable dealer you should have no problems getting it replaced if the one you get turns out to be smelly.

If she relies on a vapourizer, she needs two because you never want to be without should one fail. If you do go for a backup, you should reconsider rejecting the HA because it uses balloons, since it functions quite well with a whip.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Vitolo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom