VaporGenie

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I have had something similar when I ate a pizza fresh out the oven and burned the roof of my mouth on the molten cheese. Not a nice experience and not one I would like to repeat through vaping!

J.R.R.Tokin',
Got my coil :)
b0867bfe.jpg

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
darkrom said:
Since I got this vape I can't tell if it is a coincidence or not but I have nasty spots on the roof of my mouth similar to the kind you'd expect from eating food that is way too hot, but with a nasty butane taste. I am pretty heavily grossed out and discouraged by this. Since I have anxiety and I hate the taste and feeling of shortness of breath from huffing butane, I'm not sure this is a vape I should keep. It works really well as a portable though. I can't help wondering if the "different" feeling highs have anything to do with the taste of butane and shortness of breath :uhoh: I know I am rather picky and sensitive to this stuff, but it is real for sure and not a figment of my anxiety lol.

Sound like you're getting it way to hot man, I had the same thing when I first started using a Vapo Bowl. You need much more distance to the flame. When using a torch keep the tip of the flame at least an inch away from the ceramic filter, the flow of hot air in front of it will do just fine. It would be easier to practice with a glass bong so you can see when vapor starts to flow & you can take the heat source away immediately at that point.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Hmmm darkrom, that isn't good news. I should be getting my coil in the post on Monday and had high hopes. What you've just posted sounds like excessive heat either coming from the metal or hot vapours scorching your mouth. Have you been hitting it through water or 'raw'?

Raw only. No water pipes. This thing would function much better as a water piece for sure. I'm sure it works fine for other stuff, but apparently I am just more sensitive to chemicals and what not. It works well, it is just not for me at all.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
darkrom said:
Since I got this vape I can't tell if it is a coincidence or not but I have nasty spots on the roof of my mouth similar to the kind you'd expect from eating food that is way too hot, but with a nasty butane taste. I am pretty heavily grossed out and discouraged by this. Since I have anxiety and I hate the taste and feeling of shortness of breath from huffing butane, I'm not sure this is a vape I should keep. It works really well as a portable though. I can't help wondering if the "different" feeling highs have anything to do with the taste of butane and shortness of breath :uhoh: I know I am rather picky and sensitive to this stuff, but it is real for sure and not a figment of my anxiety lol.

Sound like you're getting it way to hot man, I had the same thing when I first started using a Vapo Bowl. You need much more distance to the flame. When using a torch keep the tip of the flame at least an inch away from the ceramic filter, the flow of hot air in front of it will do just fine. It would be easier to practice with a glass bong so you can see when vapor starts to flow & you can take the heat source away immediately at that point.

Maybe, but either way the butane flavor and smell (and shortness of breath) is enough to make me throw in the towel. The thing is looking at my herb it is not super dark or anything. I just should have stuck with my MFLB and patiently waited for a new portable. I'm really looking for a good one to take snowboarding lol. I might just keep trying out random portables here and there. This is a good effective portable, but those fumes are too much for my sensitive anxious body haha. I refuse to shit on this vape because it works as advertised and well, but I simply don't like it.

darkrom,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I am so sorry that this vape isnt for you what it is can be for a handful of us :/ The good thing about it is you didnt spend a couple hundred more than you did to find out that it isnt the right vape (for you)

Like was stated before, you might find more enjoyment out of it in conjunction with a water piece. But then again like you stated - there goes the portability factor.

Good luck in finding your perfect portable!

AGBeer,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Fair enough Darkrom.

If was gonna say try a J-hook with a Vapocane if you want to get rid of the tane taste, but since you said snowboarding that's probably not such a good idea :lol:

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah I've had my issue where people don't like how I review vapes I'm unhappy with (solo LOL) but this vape is exactly what I expected and it is clear that I am the issue, not the vape. I personally know happy vapor genie users who have used nothing but bics. It works and it works well. I just prefer a different flavor and am super sensitive to butane (which is possible because I could taste it in my iolite when others can't as much). I have nothing bad to say about the vapor genie coil because at only $37 shipped I don't feel ripped off. It was worth the shot. I'd rather use my cleaner tasting but less hard hitting MFLB for now and find someone else to give my coil a good home haha.

darkrom,

Autotune

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
I have had something similar when I ate a pizza fresh out the oven and burned the roof of my mouth on the molten cheese. Not a nice experience and not one I would like to repeat through vaping!
*smacks forehead*

Sorry, of course. I was thinking hot as in spicy.

Did I mention how well the VG has been working for me? ;)

Autotune,

darkrom

Great Scott!
biojuggernaut said:
how about the vapman darkrom? I have been looking at one myself.

I'm kinda anti-lighter based vapes if I am going to be THIS sensitive to butane lol.

darkrom,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
The vapman is totally different. Check it out before being anti anything :2c: zero potential for butane inhalation. There are others too- like the Lotus.

WatTyler,

darkrom

Great Scott!
WatTyler said:
The vapman is totally different. Check it out before being anti anything :2c: zero potential for butane inhalation. There are others too- like the Lotus.

I remember the old vapman videos. Guess I need to rewatch them haha. I'll check it out, but I may be sticking to my MFLB and underdog for a while for now. The underdog is really all I need at home (with the aqua vape) but the portable market I'm always willing to change it up as long as I have my MFLB (old faithful) for a backup.

darkrom,

collegerower

I got my vapor coil in the post today, but I don't have anything to use it with. Need to find a contact over here in australia...

I will report on performance as soon as I find some herb. The construction of this thing is pretty nifty. I look forward to seeing how it does.

collegerower,

Bipola

Got a second VG in the mail today after getting my first one in August. This one is for a friend but I guess it's a newer model than I got a few months back as its design is a little different, like the ceramic filter looks like it's deeper into the top piece and the inside of the top piece is octagonal rather than round like my first one was, also the hole of the mouthpiece is way bigger. My one is black which I thought looked cool but I think the oak one looks better, if I ever buy a second one for myself I'll probably get an oak one as I like the style alot more, not that it really matters, the black one gets me high and that's the main thing :)

Haven't smoked once since I first vaped back in August.. I kinda feel like a bong every now and then but vaping just makes more sense, I can do it in my lounge room without any windows open or anything and the high is generally way more euphoric and less initial anxiety than I'd get from smoking.

Bipola,

Soulhunter

Love my hand made VG, i have been using it for two years as my portable vape, and i like it alot :)
But i think it is about time to get me a batery powerd portable now. I am a litle conserned about the butane inhaled.
But with that said, i think VG is the best vaporizer for hash, just pop two screans with litle air between and u dont get partikles in your moth after "opening" the hash with the pokerthingie :)

Soulhunter,

Egzoset

Banned
Somewhat in the manner of Bipola, i played Santa-Clauss two days ago by acquiring a wooden VaporGenie for someone i appreciate. I was offered a couple rolls of Bee Line hemp wick which i did buy too but once back from my little shopping trip i realised that this form of heat is just plain combustion... Before this wax wick the salesman showed me a piezo-electric torch, i never got to choose a butane piezo-electric lighter as recommended on the manufacturer's web site.

Perhaps this sort of detail should be emphasized and written in bold characters on the packaging itself if that's not the case already (i didn't wear my glasses), to help the potential clients as much as the salesmen as well!...

:peace:

Egzoset,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Just received my VG Coil - woop!

Love the design. It's got a great weight and feel. Going to have to look at the disassembly vid on Youtube. I can only work out how to divide it into 2 bits and on the vid I'm sure he got it down to about 6 components. Guess I can get adept at that tonight as I'm at work tonight, so won't get to test it till tomorrow - can't wait.

Will post a review once I've bashed it up a little :)

J.R.R.Tokin',

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
So I've had a good go with my VG Coil and here's my take. I had never used a lighter based vape before.

Firstly the design of it is great. It's got a decent weight to it and is nice to hold. I had a look at the disassembly vid on youtube and followed it step by step. The engineering is great and it all fits together in such an innovative way. I had to take it apart and put it back together again a bunch of times because I found the design so pleasing and fluid in the way it fitted.

So, since I started vaping all of smoking paraphernalia has been stashed - so no lighter! Have a tin in the bed room with all of my bits from burning, but lady was asleep. So, found a bic, loaded the Coil and spent 10 minutes sucking hot air and feeling a little disappointed. I knew from reading that I was best off with a jet flamed lighter, but thought I would still get decent results with a normal flame.

Anyways, throwing caution to the wind I snuck into the bedroom and retrieved the retired tin - thankfully not waking sleeping beauty. Luckily I had a decent jet flame and a bottle of gas. The results were instant. 3-4 seconds with the jet flame and I was getting nice cloudy vape hits.

The taste of the first few bowls was a bit metallic but that mellowed a bit after a bit of use. This thing can really produce a lot of vapor in one hit. This does mean that a bowl wont last too long, but sometimes quick and heavy medication is called for.

So now it was into refinement of technique mode. I was super worried about combusting and making my unit taste bad so I started a bit cautiously at first pulling for only about 3 seconds, after I found I could go for longer 5-6 seconds. I found that I was getting best results keeping the tip of the visable flame about an inch from the bat opening. Then as I was pulling (medium strength pull) I would circle the flame in a tiny movement (imagine tracing a nipple of your favourite centrefold).

I was using a course grind as the mesh is quite loose. I found the best way to load was to screw out the bowl section (using the mouth piece end) till it was flush with the opening, load and then screw down. I was checking the herb as I went along and found an even browning and no need to stir- this is probably due to the 'nipple' movement.

All-in-all I am really happy with this nifty bit of engineering. I don't think it will get daily use but there's definitely a place for it in my routine. I really cant wait for my first piece of glass to be delivered and try this out in that, then it might get daily use.

This has definitely got me interested in trying out other lighter vapes, maybe something like the Gnome next - hmmm.

If your thinking of getting one of these I really recommend getting a decent jet flame lighter and before you use it for the first time watch the vid and get to know the unit and how it's bits fit.

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Good luck with that. He doesn't seem to know how to find this thread or simply doesn't care enough to post here. Perhaps you have better luck emailing him directly.

OhTheAgony,

Egzoset

Banned
Hello there!

OhTheAgony said:
Perhaps you have better luck emailing him directly.

You read my thoughts, that's what i've done right after i finished posting my previous message: i invited Dan to participate and i hope he'll pass by since i've bought a wooden VG pipe for a dear friend...

:peace:

Egzoset,
Top Bottom