VaporGenie

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Got my coil yesterday and gave it a run. It's a little different to hit than the original VG. I can hit the original like a champ, but the same method didn't impress me with the coil. Went back to the original to make sure...huge clouds.

Anyone who has both care to share insight? I'll play with it and figure it out, but if you've got some tips, bring 'em on!

It did get hot enough to where I wouldn't want to reload it or put it in my pocket, so maybe I was hitting it for too long.

stickstones,

OF

stickstones said:
Got my coil yesterday and gave it a run. It's a little different to hit than the original VG. I can hit the original like a champ, but the same method didn't impress me with the coil. Went back to the original to make sure...huge clouds.

Anyone who has both care to share insight? I'll play with it and figure it out, but if you've got some tips, bring 'em on!

It did get hot enough to where I wouldn't want to reload it or put it in my pocket, so maybe I was hitting it for too long.

I had the same experience with mine, but it's been so long that I don't recall the exact details. It involved (on suggestion from another poster) moving the 'heating filter' within the package. I think backwards? Easy enough to do the way it all threads together. I also recall no joy with 'candle flame' lighters but good results with a small torch style, scary as it is to aim it at your nose.

Great in a water pipe, BTW.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I actually found more success with the SS coil VG and a micro torch. Unlike the original VG, using a flint/piezo (orange flame) you are going to soot the holy hell out of your top piece.

The cool thing about the SS coil is its a bit more 'noob friendly' as you can suck much harder/normally than the OG VG requires. (You can be a bit more loose with your teq) Not to mention, dropping my SS VG into the downstem of a bong = heaven and nostalgic bong smoking days :D

AGBeer,

collegerower

Yeah I got my coil about 2 months ago, and while I dont know exactly what I am doing differently I am able to get pretty good clouds from it. Took me a few bowls to figure out though.

Right now it is my only vape (moved to Australia and picked it up cause it was the cheapest option) and I must say I miss my others. It might not all be the VG coils fault because it is also having to use a flame based vape that I find unpleasant. Using the coil outside is a drag because you have to worry about wind ect. But again, thats because of the flame, not the VG coil. I have also had a few bowls open in my pocket when I walk around. Nothing more disappointing than looking forward to using the coil later, and spilling your load in your pocket before you enjoy. It sucks picking out lint from your weed... Sometimes I get a bit too hot and almost get combustion. I am sure that is user error though. Also sometimes the inner coil that sticks out of the mouthpiece gets a big hot after a few big tokes. My girlfriend says it bothers her quite a bit, where as I usually put my lips on the larger outer coil.

I think OF is on to something with moving the filter backwards. I have had a bit of a time figuring out the best way to set the level of the herb in relation to the filter. As close as you can get the two seems to be the best imo. You can screw the little inner coil on the end of the mouthpiece to help push up the screen towards the filter. I have found that to help.

Also because the filter is so far back in the vape I find that I am able to put quite a bit of flame down towards the filter. This helps it get warmer back by the filter.

All in all I find the coil a good affordable vape, but not one I would keep in my collection back in the States.

collegerower,

OF

collegerower said:
I think OF is on to something with moving the filter backwards. I have had a bit of a time figuring out the best way to set the level of the herb in relation to the filter. As close as you can get the two seems to be the best imo. You can screw the little inner coil on the end of the mouthpiece to help push up the screen towards the filter. I have found that to help.

Also because the filter is so far back in the vape I find that I am able to put quite a bit of flame down towards the filter. This helps it get warmer back by the filter.

All in all I find the coil a good affordable vape, but not one I would keep in my collection back in the States.

Hey, don't blame me, some other fool suggested it, it just worked for me too. I agree with the idea of getting the heat down on the filter, and find a small 'torch type' lighter best. If you can get past waving it around and pointing it at your nose.

BTW, one night I had some fun with the tube from a roll of paper towels. After closing the end off with paper and tape, I punched a round hole in the side near the closed end and stuck the small end of the coil in making a strange pipe that actually worked pretty well. By the time I sorted it out, I was in no shape to press on with science. The coil went to the water pipe for the next test, the tube into the trash.

If I were looking at an extended stay from the mother ship, I think this unit would be my choice. Not the easiest to use by a wide margin but it is 'rock simple' and practically indestructible. Given fire and herb it should deliver the goods in the 'worst case' conditions of living in the wilds of Sidney without factory support.

Best wishes,

OF

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks guys...I'll give it some more work over the next few weeks. I still haven't pulled it completely apart or emptied my used bowl yet. I did get some bits passing through...I guess stirring the bowl in this unit is different than in the classic!

stickstones,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Today I decided to make a little travel case for my MFLB. Got 2 hard camera cases to try it with. One was too small so I adopted it for my VG Coil....I was pretty happy with the result.

02022012063.jpg

J.R.R.Tokin',

stickstones

Vapor concierge
My second try at the coil was unsuccessful. I get very little vapor and a really hot pipe. I know some of you guys like it better than the original. Any suggestions?

stickstones,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Let me try and help.

Loading: Using a medium fine grind I find is best. Not as fine as the MFLB. Only fill the 'cup' up about 3/4. When you put the top section back on give it 2 quick twist to make it screw in a bit more securely and to bring the filter down a bit closer to the herb.

Lighting: Micro torch or jet flame lighter, ditch the BIC if that's what your using. When hitting the tip of the flame corola (? the ghost flame) should be level with the opening, not inside. Your draw speed is very important. I think your probably pulling too fast and thus cooling the air too much. Try a softer pull, not too soft, just try in degrees softer than your doing. You should get visible vapor on the second pull, the first is warming-up the area around the herb.

Edit: Don't forget to move the flame around in a very small circle to get an even browning.

But really the Coil shines with a bong, it's great straight but with water it sings :ko:

Just did all this while writing and this was from a nug out the jar, not even too dry.

Give it a bash and see. Good luck.

J.R.R.Tokin',

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks JRR!

I have been using the bic, so I will give the torch a try. Do you aim the torch so that it is pointing into the coil, or run it across the front of it in a perpendicular fashion? (I do the perpendicular thing with the classic.)

I previously moved the filter closer to the herb than when it was shipped to me. Do you recommend this?

Thanks again...I will give it another go tonight!

stickstones,
stickstones said:
Thanks JRR!

I have been using the bic, so I will give the torch a try. Do you aim the torch so that it is pointing into the coil, or run it across the front of it in a perpendicular fashion? (I do the perpendicular thing with the classic.)

I previously moved the filter closer to the herb than when it was shipped to me. Do you recommend this?

I wouldn't recommend messing with it at all. The made it that way for a reason.

VapeNStone,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
stickstones said:
Thanks JRR!

I point it directly in, you can see in the pic before the light I'm using with it. There is no need to move the filter as the screw-able nature of the Coil's components allow you to screw the top onto the bottom section, which lowers the filter anyway. I only screw it about 1 complete turn and find that sufficient.

Good luck and let me know how you go. If you still have trouble I'll shoot you a vid.

J.R.R.Tokin',

caseball2051

wnet back and forth between this and the launchbox a few years ago for my first vape.

I went the launchbox route.

But i finally just ordered one from puffitup. (great customer service by the way)

cantwait to share a review. Im exctied. this is my first lighter based vape.

caseball2051,

SD_haze

Vaporgenie is having a special sale on the coil vapes!
link

The original is a whopping 50% off ($20)

And they have a new design with 24% thicker coils for $5 less than the original coil ($35)

And that's all with free shipping to U.S.A. as always.

(I ordered myself another, they're awesome backup vapes!)

SD_haze,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Is the thicker wire supposedly better? And if so, why?

That is a very good price.

Stu,

SD_haze

Stu said:
Is the thicker wire supposedly better? And if so, why?

That is a very good price.

"The two coil VGs are the exactly the same, the only difference being the diameter of the wire that they are made from."

Its probably a tad more durable but it would also be a tad heavier.

However I'd wager you could slam the original coil on concrete and it'd be pretty unscathed.
I suppose sometimes it is nicer to use something that feels more "substantial"

SD_haze,
Wow, for 20 bucks the Coil is a backup vape everyone should buy, it's definitely worth that scratch in my opinion. Those looking for a way to vaporize out of bongs and other GonG apparatus can find an inexpensive solution in it as well.

I guess thicker wire would take longer to get uncomfortably hot, and also bending and spilling bowls might be more difficult. Besides that...

Wish they'd run a special on the glass bat VG, they look like a cool little unit.

charliedontsurf,

mephisto

Funny you should mention, CDS. I just ordered the glass bat. After owning the metal, the sherlock,
and the aluminum bat (sucked), I just had to try the glass bat. Will report back as soon as it gets here.

mephisto,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Wow. $20 for the VG coil. Seriously, as some one that has one I would recommend this to any one at that price. It's great for sticking in a bong or using alone. Takes a little getting used to but once you have the hand of it it's easy - use a torch lighter though.

J.R.R.Tokin',
mephisto said:
Funny you should mention, CDS. I just ordered the glass bat. After owning the metal, the sherlock,
and the aluminum bat (sucked), I just had to try the glass bat. Will report back as soon as it gets here.

Nice! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Iirc there's one review from a trusted member buried in previous posts, I'm pretty sure they were happy. The idea of a glass VG being miniaturized is very cool to me.

charliedontsurf,

caseball2051

just got my VG classic in the mail.

the folks over at puffitup are a pleasure to do business with. This little niche of ours (vaporizers and paraphenalia) has been great so far. All of the distributors and companies should give lessons to mainstream businesses on service.

anyways, the VG is alot smaller than i expected. puffitup inluded a lighter and acrylic grinder which was nice.
Im hoping to get to give it a run tonight but im not sure if ill get around to it. tomorrow will certainly be a good experiment session though.

ill update for everyone. I know this is one of the older units available, but its tried and true! Im hopin i can concur that with the previois posts in thisthread!

caseball2051,

hogleg

I ordered a $20 coil and an aluminum pipe from VG yesterday this will be my first coil and a dozen or so genies total. I keep a few on hand

hogleg,

caseball2051

Ive had my vg classic for two sessions so far and i allll I have tosay is holy shit. Its size and usage took me off guard. What a great device

caseball2051,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
agreed. i keep coming back to this thing. just went out for a two bowl session and got way out blazed!

once you get the technique down, it is hard to beat for heavy hits.

one of the best hits ive ever had to this day, and dont ask me why, was a vg top on a brass bowl in a plastic bong...fuckin spectacular!

I read the entire thread on and off over a week. A lot of good information, a lot of pretty VG pictures.
My girlfriend owns a walnut handcarved VG, and bought the coil last week when they went on sale.
The walnut VG is absolute quality. I love that I can get about 9 smooth drags from each bowl, about half are thick clouds. I usually just load the bowl with two tiny scoops out of the grinder with a guitar pick.

Now the SS COIL!! I wasn't too sure about this thing when I received it. I thought it was awfully flimsy looking and feeling, plus I couldn't get it to vape small amounts of herb. I went out one night and when I came home my girlfriend had disassembled the coil a bit out of curiosity (I forgot to ever mention what it was or that I ordered one). When I put it back together I moved the inner coil containing the ceramic filter closer to the bowl. Now I think it works much better. I use a regular clipper lighter with both VGs

The only flaw I feel is the inner coil mouthpiece sticks out too far and gets hot, that part is not insulated, and sometimes it gets bong residue stuck to it when I use it with glass. I'm wanting to snip that part off, I wouldn't mind it being a tad shorter. What do you guys think about this idea?

TheOrionProject,
Top Bottom