VaporGenie

Empherio

Arbiter of the Arbitrary
I got the bat a couple of months ago and I've since put it away because of the reasons Charlie states. The fucker gets too hot to hold and it is mos def not stealthy to be hitting it with a flame for 30 sec or more (while wearing oven mitts), so forget car vaping. I'm new to vapery so this was a bitter disappointment.

I've since gotten an mflb, which certainly does address my stealth concerns, but doesn't seem to give me the effects I desire and juggling batts is likewise a pain. Today I broke out my old covered wooden pipe and got right baked, confirming that my herbage is proper, but still bringing me down cause I don't want to combust that shit anymore.

Iolite and Vapir NO2 are expensive and my research indicates they aren't more effective than the mflb anyway, so what do I do? Unfortunately, a nice home unit is not possible due to kidz, spouse, and suchlike.

BTW- this site is awesome.

Mod note: If you're asking for other vape suggestions, then you're off topic. This is the Genie thread.

Empherio,
Empherio said:
I got the bat a couple of months ago and I've since put it away because of the reasons Charlie states. The fucker gets too hot to hold and it is mos def not stealthy to be hitting it with a flame for 30 sec or more (while wearing oven mitts), so forget car vaping. I'm new to vapery so this was a bitter disappointment.

I've since gotten an mflb, which certainly does address my stealth concerns, but doesn't seem to give me the effects I desire and juggling batts is likewise a pain. Today I broke out my old covered wooden pipe and got right baked, confirming that my herbage is proper, but still bringing me down cause I don't want to combust that shit anymore.

Iolite and Vapir NO2 are expensive and my research indicates they aren't more effective than the mflb anyway, so what do I do? Unfortunately, a nice home unit is not possible due to kidz, spouse, and suchlike.

BTW- this site is awesome.

Mod note: If you're asking for other vape suggestions, then you're off topic. This is the Genie thread.

Another dissatisfied VG bat owner. Who knew? And welcome to the board

Maybe try different battery brands with the mflb? Its suposed to effect its performance quite a bit.

caseball2051 said:
does the bat require the same learning curve as the classic model? is it easier to use? harder?

Harder, hotter, madder, crappier.

I really like my VG classic, honestly. Clouds of vapor, boom, fast. But the VG bat was a real disappointment - the design is supposed to be improved in a month or so, so wait if you want it.

charliedontsurf,

jswayze

I've read at least have the pages in here, sad, i know, but finally decided to post, because i realized its a current topic still.
I've been severely dissapointed from buying the VG Bat. I got it like 5 months ago, but didnt really use it past the first week, because it is so dang hot!! it is unbearably hot, as many have said before me. You only get maybe 2-3 hoots (fillling your lungs completely) before its way too dam hot to hold, let alone have touching your lips.
The guy at hemp city gave me some hemp string to wrap around it, i just never ended up doing it... i guess i should be complaining yet. I've only been trying to use it the last couple days, because i moved and have to be more sneaky with my smoking...
I'm excited for this talked about replacement piece, because I feel like i wasted my $90 Canadian dollars on this piece.

jswayze,

Foster

jswayze said:
I've read at least have the pages in here, sad, i know, but finally decided to post, because i realized its a current topic still.
I've been severely dissapointed from buying the VG Bat. I got it like 5 months ago, but didnt really use it past the first week, because it is so dang hot!! it is unbearably hot, as many have said before me. You only get maybe 2-3 hoots (fillling your lungs completely) before its way too dam hot to hold, let alone have touching your lips.
The guy at hemp city gave me some hemp string to wrap around it, i just never ended up doing it... i guess i should be complaining yet. I've only been trying to use it the last couple days, because i moved and have to be more sneaky with my smoking...
I'm excited for this talked about replacement piece, because I feel like i wasted my $90 Canadian dollars on this piece.

I only bought the VG bat because i wanted a durable vape. I have to agree: I am not satisfied with my bat. I didn't use it for the first month after i bought it, but now since i am back at college, I am forced to use it as my sole medicating utensil.

To anyone who is thinking about buying a VG Bat: Don't do it. Buy another VG product. The bat is just not well designed or well thought out. I wish i bought a hand carved or classic VG.

Note: The VG site says that the Bat will be available for purchase in early November. Maybe they are making some much needed changes to it.

Foster,
hate to bump it but we have multiple first and low posters coming out to bitch about the inferior product they purchased. The VG bat seems to suck for me and most everyone else.

charliedontsurf,

momatik

So guys I just got some really gnarly hash out of my vapor genie and I just wanted to share how I was able to do it.

Now anyone who has cleaned a VG before knows there's a bunch of the more dry resin that is stuck to the metal bowl, and comes out after you somewhat displace it. So i just take my tweezers, and run it all over the metal part just to break that sticky build up it has formed over time to the metal.

Then I turn it upside down and smack it right down on whatever surface you'd like to put your hash on. I'm using a note card.

Once you get all the hash you can get that you can see, it's time to get the really good stuff. I used a clean pair of tweezers, and put it on the sides of the wood and rotated in a circular motion about the bowl.

image197.jpg

Now after you've rotated it a few times, carefully pull the tweezers out, and hope you don't lose any of that sticky resin that should be now stuck to the tweezers. I had to use a razor blade to get it off the tweezers.

You'll see this stuff is far more sticky than the dry hash condensed on the metal. Be sure to scrape right where the wood and metal bowl meet. There is a small ridge there that had a bunch of goodness that I had missed before.

Be patient! It's worth the effort.

momatik,

gb902

Vaporog
Anyone knows if the handcarved VG (and the bat) have a larger bowl than the classic? Or it's only deeper?

gb902,

chucku

Charles Urbane
gb902 said:
Anyone knows if the handcarved VG (and the bat) have a larger bowl than the classic? Or it's only deeper?

I have the handcarved and the bat (no classic), the bat seems to have a 2x bowl vs the handcarved.

chucku,

gb902

Vaporog
chucku said:
gb902 said:

I have the handcarved and the bat (no classic), the bat seems to have a 2x bowl vs the handcarved.

What??? They officially said that the bat has the same bowl size as the handcarved, deeper than the classic, but they don't say anything about the real size so I don't know what to expect if I buy a classic one (now I go tthe bat). But I never though that the bat would have even a 2x bowl than the handcarved!!

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
you can change the size of the bowl by moving the metal clip thing that holds the screens. You can make it go much lower than the classic. Or you can bring it up closer to the top thus reducing the size of the bowl. so you can actually adjust how much the bowl holds on the bat.

DevoTheStrange,

gb902

Vaporog
Nice method, but I am wondering if the VG bat has the same bowl size as the old classic (except the depth), it would be anyway too big, in fact the bat has a giant bowl, not only deep but really wide.
A thin bowl has a great advantage, it concentrates all the heat on a smaller quantity of material, so the vapor/air ratio is bigger.
Now I would to buy a new colored model, but I am worried if it won't work good with just a pinch of herb, as I usually do (not with my bat).

gb902,
DevoTheStrange said:
you can change the size of the bowl by moving the metal clip thing that holds the screens. You can make it go much lower than the classic. Or you can bring it up closer to the top thus reducing the size of the bowl. so you can actually adjust how much the bowl holds on the bat.

I always assumed that the metal clip thingy was permanently attached. Awesome call on that.

It moves super easy in my bat but appears to be attached in my VG classic. Do it just wedged in and just needs some strongarming?

charliedontsurf,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
mine fits in lose. I just grab the cross bar part with a pair of tweezers and just screw it into place where I want it by rotating it. It is also how I remove it. Just pulling on it or pushing it will change the shape and make it less likely to be screwed in or out.

gb902 said:
Nice method, but I am wondering if the VG bat has the same bowl size as the old classic (except the depth), it would be anyway too big, in fact the bat has a giant bowl, not only deep but really wide.
A thin bowl has a great advantage, it concentrates all the heat on a smaller quantity of material, so the vapor/air ratio is bigger.
Now I would to buy a new colored model, but I am worried if it won't work good with just a pinch of herb, as I usually do (not with my bat).

the bowls are the same width. 1/2 standard threading common to metal pipes used for smoking and the likes. You can make the bowl thinner width wise by placing in a shim. You can either do this with a thick piece of metal tubing that can fit inside or by taking a stainless steel nut (for a bolt) and grinding the angles off so the outer edge is round and it fits inside. Someone here on FC made one I cannot remember who at the moment.

DevoTheStrange,

danalee48

charliedontsurf said:
It moves super easy in my bat but appears to be attached in my VG classic. Do it just wedged in and just needs some strongarming?

It is not attached! I have successfully taken mine out, but it just took a pair of needle-nose pliers and a bit of wiggling around. :)

danalee48,
Mmm, just got the shim out in my VG classic, it was way down at the bottom off the threads. Time to experiment with some extracts. :brow:

Has anyone tried raising the shim way up in the bat and seeing if it helped remedy it's crippling design flaws?

charliedontsurf,

gb902

Vaporog
DevoTheStrange said:
mine fits in lose. I just grab the cross bar part with a pair of tweezers and just screw it into place where I want it by rotating it. It is also how I remove it. Just pulling on it or pushing it will change the shape and make it less likely to be screwed in or out.

gb902 said:

the bowls are the same width. 1/2 standard threading common to metal pipes used for smoking and the likes. You can make the bowl thinner width wise by placing in a shim. You can either do this with a thick piece of metal tubing that can fit inside or by taking a stainless steel nut (for a bolt) and grinding the angles off so the outer edge is round and it fits inside. Someone here on FC made one I cannot remember who at the moment.

It was me!!! :lol:
I was just desperated by the performance, but the first attempt wasn't so good (the metal piece falls off).
However, I just ordered a VG classic colored (black), due to the poor performance of the bat, but now I am a bit disappointed, because yesterday I have tried a new technique with the bat, that worked very well even with a smaller flame than usual. I was amazed, and felt like a waste of money to order another VG.
Now I am very happy, I would love to have more good portable vapes and collect them.

And for those who are very disappointed with their bat, here is my technique:
I just inhaled slower than usual, and kept the flame a bit more inside the hole (not too inside, or it will touch the filter). For the first seconds you don't feel anything, it's absolutely normal. But a little after, I can feel the heat (not too hot), at this point it's easy to regulate the flame distance/ inhaling speed to control the hit and the temperature. And it didn't get hot, just warm!!! It requires just a little more patience.

I am finally at the end of my long learning curve, and I can feel the satisfaction!;)

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
charliedontsurf said:
Mmm, just got the shim out in my VG classic, it was way down at the bottom off the threads. Time to experiment with some extracts. :brow:

Has anyone tried raising the shim way up in the bat and seeing if it helped remedy it's crippling design flaws?

A week after i got my bat I moved my screen holder up to just below the threading on the top piece. this allows for me to use smaller bowls and I have not really had any problems with either the bat getting too hot, nor do I combust my bowl.
Never had to worry about the herb in bowl falling down, I have always pressed my herb against the screen and it stays there, especially after the first hit.
Alot of the heat issues I noticed was also do due to my draw speed. After a while I figured out how to avoid high heat. I tend to start slow and when I feel the vapor start I increase the speed with which i draw, If it tried to do this with the VGClassic I would get a really tiny hit so it is almost counterintuitive. I remove the flame a few seconds after the vapor starts but continue to inhale until my lungs are full. This extra time inhaling without the flame helps keep the VG from getting too hot. I also tend to hold the vape inside my closed hand to sap some of the heat away from the bat between hits.
My bat gets warm, but never too hot to hold or use against the lips.
Like i said... once I figured out how to use this thing, I enjoy it more than i ever did with my Handcarved VG. I rarely ever combust with this thing, something I did alot with my original VG. When i first got my bat it would get as hot as hell... now not so much. If you try to use the bat the same way as the classic set up it is going to get extremely hot. The same rules do not apply.
I just think the learning curve on the bat is not that hard if you forget everything you learned with the original VG set up. After using the Bat for a while I almost always combust a bowl in a normal VG.

DevoTheStrange,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
Did anyone get the replacement top for the bat? If so how is it? I am thinking about calling in to see if I can get one if it really is better.

lesvape,

Rin101

gb902 said:
It was me!!! :lol:
I was just desperated by the performance, but the first attempt wasn't so good (the metal piece falls off).
However, I just ordered a VG classic colored (black), due to the poor performance of the bat, but now I am a bit disappointed, because yesterday I have tried a new technique with the bat, that worked very well even with a smaller flame than usual. I was amazed, and felt like a waste of money to order another VG.
Now I am very happy, I would love to have more good portable vapes and collect them.

And for those who are very disappointed with their bat, here is my technique:
I just inhaled slower than usual, and kept the flame a bit more inside the hole (not too inside, or it will touch the filter). For the first seconds you don't feel anything, it's absolutely normal. But a little after, I can feel the heat (not too hot), at this point it's easy to regulate the flame distance/ inhaling speed to control the hit and the temperature. And it didn't get hot, just warm!!! It requires just a little more patience.

I am finally at the end of my long learning curve, and I can feel the satisfaction!;)

I'm glad you finally got it working! I don't have a bat myself, but a friend of mine went through the same learning curve that you did..for the first couple weeks he was disappointed, then finally sent me a text message letting me know how excited he was that it finally worked :)

Another thing: a few months ago (sometime early in 2010) the Classic VaporGenie was re-modeled with a deeper bowl..the bowl is now as deep as the handcarved VG (unless they have deepened the bowl in the handcarved, which I haven't ordered in a year). This is old news but it seemed relevant for this page since a lot of people were asking about how deep the bowl is.

Peace

Rin101,

gb902

Vaporog
Rin101 said:
I'm glad you finally got it working! I don't have a bat myself, but a friend of mine went through the same learning curve that you did..for the first couple weeks he was disappointed, then finally sent me a text message letting me know how excited he was that it finally worked :)

Another thing: a few months ago (sometime early in 2010) the Classic VaporGenie was re-modeled with a deeper bowl..the bowl is now as deep as the handcarved VG (unless they have deepened the bowl in the handcarved, which I haven't ordered in a year). This is old news but it seemed relevant for this page since a lot of people were asking about how deep the bowl is.

Peace

When I asked them for more infos, they didn't said anything about that...
However I'd like to buy one a few months ago, since I use small quantities and a small bowl is a must for me. As I said, the bat has a giant bowl, not very suitable for a vaporizer (where one of the purposes is to cut down the consume by half or so), but instead for a smoking pipe.
For this reason, when you tilt it, the herb often falls from the screen and you inhale only hot air.
For this reason I would to buy a classic VG, because I have ever heard that it has a smaller bowl.
Now I am a bit disappointed regarding the new re-modeling, they could let the people choose from different sizes/models instead of changing definitely the design.

gb902,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I often get past the herb falling down from the screen in the bat by moving the screen closer to the threading from the top filter and pressing my herb against the screen tightly. Once you take that first hit it should cement itself into place. Herb falling down has not been a problem for me once i started doing this. I put in the equivalent of one PD stem into my bowl.
the bowl on the bat is only as big as you want it to be. You can adjust the depth on it. Just because the chamber is deeper does not mean it has to be a deep bowl.

DevoTheStrange,

Pattern

lesvape said:
Did anyone get the replacement top for the bat? If so how is it? I am thinking about calling in to see if I can get one if it really is better.

"In October 2010 we substantially improved the VaporGenie Bat pipes so that they do not become hot with use. We added a stainless steel insert that provides internal thermal insulation. This greatly reduces the tendency of the bat pipes to become hot. It also improves the vaporizing performance because more heat goes into the bowl and your tobacco. So, the bat pipe will only become warm with use; it will not become uncomfortably hot. All the bat pipes now have this improved design. We have applied for a patent on the improvement." coming early novemer.

I'm excited for this. Also the site says they're coming out with an all stainless steel version first week of November.
I've heard it's safe but would anyone know how it might affect taste compared to the anodized aluminum.

Pattern,
Pattern said:
lesvape said:

"In October 2010 we substantially improved the VaporGenie Bat pipes so that they do not become hot with use. We added a stainless steel insert that provides internal thermal insulation. This greatly reduces the tendency of the bat pipes to become hot. It also improves the vaporizing performance because more heat goes into the bowl and your tobacco. So, the bat pipe will only become warm with use; it will not become uncomfortably hot. All the bat pipes now have this improved design. We have applied for a patent on the improvement." coming early novemer.

I'm excited for this. Also the site says they're coming out with an all stainless steel version late October.
I've heard it's safe but would anyone know how it might affect taste compared to the anodized aluminum.

Thank you for posting this, I just emailed them about getting a replacement top. They mentioned they were willing to send me one when they were ready when I originally complained to them about how hot the bat gets. Now we'll see if that means they expect a check.

Edit: Their response was brief but ideal - a new topper is in the mail. I'll post a review the instant I've gotten a chance to run it through its paces. Thanks Vaporgenie!

charliedontsurf,
lesvape said:
You think if I send them an email they will send another top to me?

Do me a favor: wait a day or two before you do so they get a chance to mail mine before they get upset that I started an avalanche of requests.

It's not like your request isn't reasonable. Did you buy direct from VG? I did. I had a history of communication with them expressing my discontentment with the bat, and they'd previously offered. I also offered to mail my old filter to them in the mail in exchange - they didn't want it. Be polite and careful about it, and you'll get one. At the least they'll probably sell you a new one at a discounted price. You may want to mention you're a forum member, which gives them incentive to treat you well.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom