Vapman

Mr Mellish

Forgive me Vapman-iacs for I have sinned. It has been many months since my last VM session. It just hasn't been feasible to get the torch out for some time and the FW3 and Herc are so quick and quiet.

Well, over the last two nights I've had opportunities to dust off my trusty VM and remember what a pleasure it is to use with concentrates. Very good taste and nice cool vapor. The effects were sublime.

End of confession.

The bummer was that it had been stored with a small dab of wax loaded and the heat in the hiding place for my egg must be greater than I thought. Wax managed to dissolve and ooze out and cake on the bottom of the VM and on the mica. It was a tiny dab but that was enough. The wood is now clean but I'm not sure if I should do anything with the mica.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
. . . . Ah it's so easy to get caught up in a vape-rut.

But I am pleased to see that you have resurfaced triumphantly @Mr Mellish :)

It was a tiny dab but that was enough. The wood is now clean but I'm not sure if I should do anything with the mica.
If it is not really impeding function, and you can cope with it, I say leave it be. Messing with mica in anyway is never a good idea imo :worms:

:peace:

Or compared with an oil-rig? Honestly, I can't say, because I don't smoke. ;-)

Dabbing properly is vaporization, don't be scared! I do need to get some sieves though...

I'm going to try a screen like you posted, haven't tried that before!
About how long does a typical session last for an experienced torch user? How quickly can you get through a session?
I can make a pan last 5-6 nice puffs or 2 BIG ones, granted when I go for 2 hit extraction I use around 1/2-3/4 pan. You can stretch it out more if you like or even load tiny one hits. Of the butane vapes I own the vapman is the easiest to get to do exactly what I want. Months in and I've still only combusted once, not to say I haven't made some verrrry dark avb that didn't make it to the stash.

Its versatility in this manner is what has me so enamoured.

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Everybody says it, but I must nevertheless always cough like a horse. ;-) It's simply too dense smoke for me. And another difficulty is that heating the nail and finding the right temperature needs a lot of experience.

For that, I find it easier with the vapman. ;-)
Sounds like you dab on a nail red hot, right after heat up?
...if so...low temp. Dabs are probably your thing...

So do the (pipe) screens help with concentrates in the vapman?

Seren

Away with the fairies
Just took my little fella for a trip up north, & we both had a very nice time indeed..... ;)

I just love how easy it is to take the vapman away with me. I usually just fill a lighter or two, depending on how long my trip will last, and voila - all sorted!​

But most of all, even after having a vapman in my life for a few years now, I'm still totally blown away by how lifted this little guy can get me on so little. I guess I'm still loving the vapman magic (and always will)!​

:peace: :leaf: :peace:

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I took my pax on a dog walk last night. It's hard to hold a leash and a Vapman with a lighter all at the same time. its not that I don't like my Pax, it serves it purpose from time to time, but when I compare it to vapman its always disappointing. tonight it's all vapman all night. happy friday !

OF

I took my pax on a dog walk last night. It's hard to hold a leash and a Vapman with a lighter all at the same time.

Agreed, holding a leash can command a LOT of attention sometimes.

Sinclue (dog walking fool he is.....) passed on a great recommendation from Randy at PIU for such duty, the Summit. Darn near ideal IMO. You might want to check it out? You load the bowl (under the magnetic cover) and put it in your pocket. When you want a hit, push the button and it buzzes confirmation, no noise just vibration like a cell phone. That automatically starts the heating (which is VERY fast). When at temperature it buzzes twice to let you know it's time for a hit. Pressing the button after the hit (or just letting it time out.....90 seconds?) and it shuts off, ready for the next hit on demand.

Very discrete, never takes more than a minute start to finish and never needs a second hand (or even one hand except for the actual hit....).

I love mine for 'grab a hit quick while doing other stuff' and I don't even own a dog.........

OF

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

Sinclue (dog walking fool he is.....) passed on a great recommendation from Randy at PIU for such duty, the Summit. Darn near ideal IMO. You might want to check it out? You load the bowl (under the magnetic cover) and put it in your pocket. When you want a hit, push the button and it buzzes confirmation, no noise just vibration like a cell phone. That automatically starts the heating (which is VERY fast). When at temperature it buzzes twice to let you know it's time for a hit. Pressing the button after the hit (or just letting it time out.....90 seconds?) and it shuts off, ready for the next hit on demand.

Very discrete, never takes more than a minute start to finish and never needs a second hand (or even one hand except for the actual hit....).

I love mine for 'grab a hit quick while doing other stuff' and I don't even own a dog.........

OF
I'm intrigued by the solar charger but PIU doesn't have any specs. Do you have one or know any specs on that? Tia :wave:

OF

I'm intrigued by the solar charger but PIU doesn't have any specs. Do you have one or know any specs on that? Tia :wave:

Not that one, but the idea is common enough. I have a couple I've picked up over time, at least one from Amazon like:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... power bank&qid=1457710530&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... power bank&qid=1457710530&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... power bank&qid=1457710530&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

Great for filed use (depending on need of course) but better as a "power bank" than "solar power" I think. The panel is too small for many/most uses really. It's numbers, as it so often is. You need about .72 Ah to recharge Summit at say 4 Volts, about 3 Wh.

"Standard Sunlight" is 1000 Watts to the square meter (good sun, but not ideal, a good estimate IMO). Ballpark numbers are say 20% for conversion, so we can get 200 Watts to the square meter. So a 10 cm square (100 sq cm) would give us two, about what those guys have? So you'll need a couple hours of 'good sun' to charge the Summit once? You can get about five hours of 'full sun equivalent' if you track the sun (move the panel to keep it square on to full sun), so you can get maybe two recharges on a good day? Or maybe one if you simply leave it in a sunny window? IMO not all that practical. Power banks make more sense.

The 100 Watt panel and battery that runs the fans in the greenhouse is 2 by 4 feet for instance. At a fixed angle it's collecting about 200 Wh per day right now without moving it. Based on that you'd need about .33 sq ft of panel, (200/3)/2*4), to charge once a day.

No way around it, heat needs power to happen. If done electrically that means lots of Watts.

OF

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Not that one, but the idea is common enough. I have a couple I've picked up over time, at least one from Amazon like:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XVO5S2W?keywords=solar power bank&qid=1457710530&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZEFK72?keywords=solar power bank&qid=1457710530&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0126L5KAA?keywords=solar power bank&qid=1457710530&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

Great for filed use (depending on need of course) but better as a "power bank" than "solar power" I think. The panel is too small for many/most uses really. It's numbers, as it so often is. You need about .72 Ah to recharge Summit at say 4 Volts, about 3 Wh.

"Standard Sunlight" is 1000 Watts to the square meter (good sun, but not ideal, a good estimate IMO). Ballpark numbers are say 20% for conversion, so we can get 200 Watts to the square meter. So a 10 cm square (100 sq cm) would give us two, about what those guys have? So you'll need a couple hours of 'good sun' to charge the Summit once? You can get about five hours of 'full sun equivalent' if you track the sun (move the panel to keep it square on to full sun), so you can get maybe two recharges on a good day? Or maybe one if you simply leave it in a sunny window? IMO not all that practical. Power banks make more sense.

The 100 Watt panel and battery that runs the fans in the greenhouse is 2 by 4 feet for instance. At a fixed angle it's collecting about 200 Wh per day right now without moving it. Based on that you'd need about .33 sq ft of panel, (200/3)/2*4), to charge once a day.

No way around it, heat needs power to happen. If done electrically that means lots of Watts.

OF
I knew you'd be the perfect person to ask, thanks @OF

OF

Have you ever thought about useing a Vapman and a magnifying glass? Thats about as solar as you can get!

Yep, it's been kicked around a couple of times, like here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/page-179#post-846328
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/page-179#post-846447
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/page-179#post-846461

I poked around with it some, the lens I got works fine but is dangerously bright in operation. Come Spring I'll probably dig the stuff out and try again. I think the idea of heating a mass over time and putting the VM on it is the key. With a shutter of some sort (probably on the input, once concentrated it's tough to stop).

I still think, in the end, a reflector might be a better solution than a lens.

I think no less a sage than our very on Natural Farmer has it right:
A solar Vapman would be the tits!!! :tup::tup::tup:

OF

VapeKnight

Day Tripper

OF
If I wasn't optimistic that my grasshopper will arrive soon I might look into the summit. I'll give it another week or two seeing as my pre order date was 12/2014 and they are shipping 01/2015 units. they must be waiting for parts for plain Ti hoppers. with any luck it won't smell as much as the pax either. the last time I encountered a neighbor on a walk they retreated back to their house thinking they smelled a skunk :rofl:

birdbraineater

Yep, it's been kicked around a couple of times, like here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/page-179#post-846328
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/page-179#post-846447
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/page-179#post-846461

I poked around with it some, the lens I got works fine but is dangerously bright in operation. Come Spring I'll probably dig the stuff out and try again. I think the idea of heating a mass over time and putting the VM on it is the key. With a shutter of some sort (probably on the input, once concentrated it's tough to stop).

I still think, in the end, a reflector might be a better solution than a lens.

I think no less a sage than our very on Natural Farmer has it right:

OF
I hadn't thought about 'bright in operation' . Perhaps the Vapcap, with it's tell tale clicking sound would be the ticket? Then, of course, one wouldn't have to stare at the bright.

Last edited:

OF

I hadn't thought about 'bright in operation' . Perhaps the Vapcap, with it's tell tale clicking sound would be the ticket? Then, of course, one wouldn't have to stare at the bright.

Depending on how you rig it I guess, but IMO the right way is to make sure it can't happen in the first place. Either with a shutter or by completely enclosing the 'bright part'. The last idea I had on it called for a metal block to heat (rather than the vape directly) and you would draw heat from that. In the Vapcap case that could be a simple cradle to rest the cap in (and turn), Air/Solo would have a recess like the cup and seal in their respective ovens, VM would use a post like the Heating Station does (although at a higher temperature I'd think) and so on. I'm thinking a thermocouple on the heat block could be used to control a motor to open and close the shutter before or after the lens to regulate temperature.

Such a scheme keeps the bright light inside the unit in operation. Some sort of crude sight could use shadows to aim it at the sun, say a simple tube? I thinking of putting a 1/4-20 threaded socket on the bottom so you can put it on a camera tripod........

For sure 'aiming by eye' like you were roasting ants in the garden isn't a good scheme.

A project for sunny days, right now we're enjoying very much welcome rain here. We're about 20% over averages for rainfall, reservoir levels and snow pack yet the drought restrictions on agricultural water and fines for overusing domestic water continue.

OF

birdbraineater

Depending on how you rig it I guess, but IMO the right way is to make sure it can't happen in the first place. Either with a shutter or by completely enclosing the 'bright part'. The last idea I had on it called for a metal block to heat (rather than the vape directly) and you would draw heat from that. In the Vapcap case that could be a simple cradle to rest the cap in (and turn), Air/Solo would have a recess like the cup and seal in their respective ovens, VM would use a post like the Heating Station does (although at a higher temperature I'd think) and so on. I'm thinking a thermocouple on the heat block could be used to control a motor to open and close the shutter before or after the lens to regulate temperature.

Such a scheme keeps the bright light inside the unit in operation. Some sort of crude sight could use shadows to aim it at the sun, say a simple tube? I thinking of putting a 1/4-20 threaded socket on the bottom so you can put it on a camera tripod........

For sure 'aiming by eye' like you were roasting ants in the garden isn't a good scheme.

A project for sunny days, right now we're enjoying very much welcome rain here. We're about 20% over averages for rainfall, reservoir levels and snow pack yet the drought restrictions on agricultural water and fines for overusing domestic water continue.

OF
Haha!! we may be getting away from the portability of the Vapcap, Vaponic, VapMan Vapor Genie etc.

ReifierReefer

I recently watched a survival show where they used the mirrored concave surface that houses the bulb in flashlights to ignite a small amount of dried brush that was wadded up and shoved where the bulb would have been. By pointing that flashlight component at the sun the reflected and focused beams of light sent the brush up in flames pretty quickly. I wonder how well this concept could transfer to heating the vapman?

Top Bottom