Vapman

caseball2051

I don't think this is true for this vape. Think about it. The vapor is made by conduction before the vents? Blocking the vents in the center section means more airflow under the same conditions through the 3 tubes (which takes more heat from vapor production). Actually slightly reducing production......

However extra cold air is no longer allowed to enter, which DILUTES the vapor normally, so the vapor delivered to the MP while it's hotter without it (not a good thing?) it's more concentrated because it's no longer being diluted?

While I think guys should experiment here (either with deft finger location or tape), consider the maker takes the trouble to drill those precise holes for a reason?

OF

Youre probably right that it's more of a dilution effect that gives the denser hits. But I don't think I'm wrong either. I'm having a hard time finding the right words this morning.

Experimenting and testing with blocking the holes definitely can give you some variables to play with to help customize the experience a little. I imagine they're there to give us these variables.

I find that when I'm doing things how i like my unit gives off a pleasant whistle that lets me know im locked in on my perfect draw speed. This is with sometimes 1 or 2 holes closed.

Last edited:

OF

Yes it is. Heat is conducted to the weed both by conduction and by air through the 3 small tubes which is heated as it passes through.

Actually VM using convection has been discussed at length, and while popular found to be a VM myth?

Vapman his own self eventually confirmed it makes vapor by conduction. Any warming of the incoming air does not produce more vapor as the temperature is too low to do so. At best it can lessen the heat 'stolen' by the air. But slow draws, only as fast as the vapor can be produced produces the densest possible vapor, everything else is dilution. As they say, 'once you water your Scotch, all you can ever have is Scotch and water'?

You need enough heat flow to 'sweep' the vapor out, lest it condense again on a slightly cooler spot (or fall back into the load to be recycled) and never making it to your waiting lips.

Like everything else in life: a compromise?

Experimenting and testing with blocking the holes definitely can give you some variables to play with to help customize the experience a little. I imagine they're there to give us these variables.

I find that when I'm doing things how i like my unit gives off a pleasant whistle that lets me know im locked in on my perfect draw speed. This is with sometimes 1 or 2 holes closed.

Agreed, delivered vapor character definitely changes (of guys wouldn't do it more than once.....). And since we're different it's going to appeal to some and not others. And there's the 'new experience' aspect here? New stuff is fun. usually.

I too enjoy the 'audio feedback' of some vapes (not all have it?). Iolite and several 'vape pens' come to mind. Funny how some that show this (I'm thinking of the Solo I used recently) I don't take advantage of? Perhaps long experience? Maybe I'm just too busy tipping the stem to control the production/delivery effects.....

Regards to all.

OF

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I still use a rubber o-ring to block the holes. When I use the VM outside in the colder temps without blocking the holes it draws in too much cold air. The o-ring does a great and is easily removed. Plus I can roll it back and forth with a fingertip when needed , using it like a carb .

OF

Where would I find silicon tubing if I were to not shop online

Not getting it on line limits you a LOT. Perhaps your LHS carries it as 'whips' for some vape brands?

Medical supply places carry it (I once had one very near) as do the places that sell/service/sell parts for RVs. You need to pay attention to temperature ratings. Like that found in typical hardware stores otherwise good tube is not useful (and often hardened with hardeners that render them 'non medical grade'.

Scientific supply places (in many/most cities) are also possibles, although I've never bought it there (but have other things).

If you're in a big, modern city, it should be fairly easy. It goes from there to impossible, depending?

If you want to block the holes neatly, and yet make it easy to reverse, here's another idea that should be available most anywhere. Get a roll of the Teflon tape plumbers use on threaded pipe fittings. Very thin, and cheap if you look around a bit. Wrap a couple of turns around the holes, pulling enough to get it to 'bite in', cut it and wrap normal tape ('Scotch', masking, duct, medical, etc) over it to hold it in place (the Teflon has no adhesive....). The Teflon seals the holes (and will take the heat fine), the normal tape keeps it in place but can easily be stripped off later?

I think that Amazon idea runs afoul of the 'no online' requirement?

Like the old joke, "What weighs 40 pounds, has four legs and a long nose, runs in packs, howls at the moon and is made of concrete?". It's a coyote, of course, I put the concrete part in to make it hard.......

OF

Whissmu

I still use a rubber o-ring to block the holes. When I use the VM outside in the colder temps without blocking the holes it draws in too much cold air. The o-ring does a great and is easily removed. Plus I can roll it back and forth with a fingertip when needed , using it like a carb .

interesting .... I could show a picture with the vapman and the o-ring ?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

caseball2051

Anyone ever own the basic or classic version without the mica shield and the upgraded version with the mica shield?

I'm using my vapman often enough that I'm considering purchasing the upgraded unit.

I actually enjoy my basic and burning the wood as I got used to the device was a cool experience.

VAS, and all that.....you know!

OF

Anyone ever own the basic or classic version without the mica shield and the upgraded version with the mica shield?

I'm using my vapman often enough that I'm considering purchasing the upgraded unit.

I have both styles, although I bought them in the other order. Classic Pear first, then Basic, followed by my Classic Walnut. The first gets the most use, I guess I don't like the burning wood smell confusing me? I use the Basic when it's on loan. The Walnut lives in a 'go kit' which I take with me rather than the egg. And for 'special occasions' of course.

If you're getting lots of use from your Basic now I say go for it and see which you like/use most?

OF

204Markie

All preference, but I personally dont like the mica. It makes it harder to clean imo and the char gives character where the flaky mica is like dandruff lol. It's all personal taste.

Maybe I don't like the mica because it was my first one that took a lot of abuse before I got my second that is well taken care of since I now how to use the unit without fault now. Maybe I'll get another complete vapman but I'm not sure what wood to get. @vapman is there any "exotic" woods you can send to Canada? If not I'll probably get a Walnut to go with the Yew.

I feel like my Yew is going to get lot of use this Christmas ;) my version of the yew log aha!

As always 420 in the 204

204Markie

I have no exp with the classic/non mica- so I was not going to weigh in here- but just wanted to mention I have never had a flaking issue with my vapman.

Mine started to flake because I got mine wet by mistake while cleaning it. This was before I found out that the magic eraser and iso was the best method for me. So maybe the second time around would be better for me. Like they say 3rd times a charm?

Vapeur Rogue

Est. 2013- Never Lookin' Back
Mine started to flake because I got mine wet by mistake while cleaning it. This was before I found out that the magic eraser and iso was the best method for me. So maybe the second time around would be better for me. Like they say 3rd times a charm?

Ah- I recall earlier in this thread discussion of some of the Mica ones flaking- thx for the magic eraser tip- I was using light iso on a q-tip exclusively.

204Markie

So please don't judge me but this is me having a raw session before breakfast with my yew Vapman. I've had it for about a year and while there is some charr it isn't visually off putting. I hope you enjoy and as always

420 in the 204!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qz5EUDsrHdkNh4RGA

@vapman would you be able to confirm if my use was how you intended it to be?

PS: you nee to click the video after clicking the link to hear the sound. Like I said it was a raw session so there was no music and I'm in pajamas.

OF

Have anyone tried shielding his classic Vapman with a thin SS or Titanium foil ? It is pretty easy to work with and imagine will works as good as the mica :).

IIRC this was discussed a while back, but nobody actually tried it because we decided insulation was necessary in addition to flame resistance. Mica is an excellent insulator 'across the layers'. It's often used for electrical insulators, heat and electron flow resistance very often go together. Glass is another example of this.

It is very soft, subject to 'flaking damage' which impacts how it can be treated as a tool. Be gentle and it is an excellent choice. And traditional. But it does take care.

I suggest the ideal would be a heat shield like on a space capsule or Nuke RV. Only not sacrificial like some are. Like the tile material from the Space Shuttle, a ceramic 'machined green' (before final firing). Amazing stuff, I once saw a demo with a glowing orange cube maybe 2 inches on a side from the furnace dropped into a bucket of water with a great hiss, that quickly stopped. The fellow reached into the bucket and pulled it out with his fingers, still glowing! The surface was cold (no boiling) and yet just below it was incandescent and no cracking happened. Seriously tough stuff.

Put a layer of that on there and I'd say you have a shield you can count on.

OF

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
So please don't judge me...

@vapman would you be able to confirm if my use was how you intended it to be?

I'm not judging...

But... if you make this face after hitting it... I'm thinking you did something right!

Screenshot-20181204-180416-Photos.jpg

:lol::lmao::lol:

204Markie

Do you guys use the tip of the flame or do you guys splash the flame on the wok? I've been starting to splash the flame to get a larger area covered rather than focusing the hottest point on one area and I've been having good results with better cooked wok of herbs.

Also are we calling it a wok or a pan, crucible or bowl? Bowl is my default but it looks like a wok to me.

OF

Also are we calling it a wok or a pan, crucible or bowl? Bowl is my default but it looks like a wok to me.

Out of habit I move the flame around heating the pan 'from all sides' like you would if you were preheating it to solder or braze it, avoiding 'hot spots'. Probably not necessary?

I call it 'pan' since as I recall that's what René (the maker) translated his name for it into English as? I figure since he invented it........

OF

204Markie

So my dynavap omni Xl came in and I'm on day 4. Even with the click I find that the placement of the flame and angle makes it harder to get the results that I want. I feel like for dry herbs I'm less likely to burn with my vapman then the dynavap.

Where as the dyna is better with concentrates I feel that the vapman has the edge on herb. Too different units but performance wise they are both top tier in my eyes. And my cap took my IQ's spot in my rotation and I switch between my vapman and dynavap.

I also need to pick up some o rings for my carbs to play with. I may try some vape cotton under the concentrate screen and see how that improves?

204Markie

Update: vape cotton works great for dabs in the Vapman. I much prefer it over the concentrate screen. There is no clean up as the reclaim is in the cotton instead of the pan. So I can quickly change from herb to dab.

I just wrap up the concentrate in the cotton then place in the pan. Use it how I'd normally do so. Great result!!

As always 420 in the 204

Top Bottom