Vapman

M0J0

I am a leaf on the wind ~ watch how I soar...
who uses convection vapes on a regular?? i'm trying to get to the bottom of this! i'm asking questions about the flavor quality coming from a davinci IQ. every answer people seem to give is 'the flavor is great for a conduction vape'.

Crafty is hybrid convection/conduction. Vapman is pure conduction. Vapman retains the initial terpenes better than Crafty in my opinion. Crafty however maintains great flavor throughout the entire session, while Vapman leaves the rest up to your desires.... but, 'great for a conduction vape'... convection snobs!

I remember asking the question vapman vs. Lotus, i believe the response was that the lotus wins in flavor, but not in discretion. Can't remember.

I just want to know if convection is really that much nicer tasting, convection enthusiasts also claim the effects are also nicer!

Any experienced vaporist can clear this up for me??

@vapman have you ever considered creating a convection style vapman??
Maybe @Mr Mellish can give us some input as he has several convection vapes.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
So my vapman performance has been sub par recently.

I was feeling sessions were less effective but wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or less effective compared to other newer vapes.

Anyway, the other night after 4 bowls in succession and I can still think................................................ I realise somethings up...

So the penny drops and I realise that the only thing i have never cleaned on this thing are the tiny intake tubes, and sure enough on close inspection all three look blocked.

So i dug around and found some old guitar strings and threw them in my bag, but hey, I get to rehearsal and find there was no need, I find two ready to go on the floor, cut to size with the little brass 'handle' ready to go...Thank you lazy guitarists who are too lazy to pick up after themselves...

A quick heat and poke and we are back in business!

Even though air comes in a bit through the sides of the pan (i assume), it's amazing how much those tubes being blocked degrades performance.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Today is my first FC anniversary!

Your comment made me look into my emails and I found out that today is my Vapmaniversary!
And this morning I received a text from my cousin's boyfrend who I recently introduced to the Vapman saying thanks for having "changed his life", so there's one more of us!

I remember asking the question vapman vs. Lotus, i believe the response was that the lotus wins in flavor, but not in discretion. Can't remember.

I own and regularly use both and I can agree, Lotus flavor is better, both dry and trough water but the Vapman is way more discrete and portable. Personally I use my Vapman outdoor and at home for concentrates (through water) or for morning low temperature dry sessions with the station (with a dedicated Vapman that has never seen a torch in its life) while I prefer the Lotus for bubbler hits or regular dry use with the glass jhook if at home or the aluminum pipe if at a friend's place. I think the two really completes each other and I'll be also ordering a Vapcap soon to see how it works. Butane power!
Anyway I also think convection vapes has a better flavor (the best tasting unit I have tried is the Herborizer that's an all glass convection desktop vape) but conduction is way more practical to implement into a portable design.

If I ever should make an electronic portable vaporizer

I don't think it's possible to make anything really new with the current technology in this field. Any new unit I see is basically just the same 2-3 concepts/designs repeated over time with better runtimes and bluetooth support added or something like that.

OF

I don't think it's possible to make anything really new with the current technology in this field. Any new unit I see is basically just the same 2-3 concepts/designs repeated over time with better runtimes and bluetooth support added or something like that.

While I understand (and to some extent agree with you) I don't think all hope is lost. Competition has caused a lot of very talented effort to be expended in the quest for the better mousetrap (or vape in this case), I think useful improvements are being made all the time.

One of my personal interests is the class of compact heated chamber vapes where air comes in the bottom and out the top of a cylinder about 3/8 inch in diameter and half an inch tall who's walls are heated to a temperature controlled by the processor. Like DiVinci, various FlowerMate models, and so on. Over the past few years we've seen a movement away from metal chambers with open heaters wrapped around them to ceramic chambers, through changes to foils as opposed to wires for heaters, to depositing the heater on the core and sealing the lot up. Along the lines, costs went down and quality/reliability went up because of these improvements (encouraging and allowing more progress).

It continues on. A few days ago I got a new Linx Gaia to test out. A very slick 'update' on something like the FM Mini Pro. Internal battery, nice display of temperature and battery charge (better than FM IMO), very nice packaging. It, like the FMs, uses a glass stem with only the threads on the MP being metal in contact with the vapor since THE CHAMBER IS GLASS. It has the heater deposited on the outside (you can look at it 'snake' down the sides) with 3 tiny vent holes drilled in the bottom. They are paying the time penalty for slow transmission through the glass of course, it's a sipper by nature, but it's not much more than the current state of the art ceramics I think. It heats up faster than any other I have in that class, but vapor density lags some (more if you're not careful to keep a modest pack on the load to keep the conduction going there).

In one step we now have glass chambers and heaters deposited directly on them? Not a quantum leap, but IMO very useful progress. VM, neat as it is, is also improving before our eyes. Not just with fancy woods or even now the classic/basic thing. More like the mica then SS heat ring to protect the mid section. Or the much anticipated GonG compatible VM.

Now that more states have legalized recreational use we can expect a flush of Venture Capital to further drive the eternal quest......or at least hope it will? While that means looking for new and better ways (to make money in the end of course......) with a 'breakthrough' it also funds refinement efforts on what already works well. Again driven by the profit motive, but we all benefit as consumers with every new option in the marketplace. Exciting times, we're walking into tall cotton for sure.

And in all that stands the humble VM, an island of sorts. Highly evolved, a true 'classic'.......in the classical sense. Our little secret.

OF

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a Classic. Is it worth getting the Vapman torch? This will be my first butane vape. I was looking at the Lotus and VapCap, but I think the Lotus would be too much for my wife to fuss with, and I’ve been afraid to get a VapCap due to talk of its milkshakesque tight draw. Then I decided to take a closer look at the Vapman and it looks like just about exactly what I want, free flowing and I can heat it for my wife. Also, where do most people get butane?

Edit: Do the torches smell when you use them?

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a Classic. Is it worth getting the Vapman torch? This will be my first butane vape. I was looking at the Lotus and VapCap, but I think the Lotus would be too much for my wife to fuss with, and I’ve been afraid to get a VapCap due to talk of its milkshakesque tight draw. Then I decided to take a closer look at the Vapman and it looks like just about exactly what I want, free flowing and I can heat it for my wife. Also, where do most people get butane?

Edit: Do the torches smell when you use them?

I believe it's worth getting the torch. It works very well and is quite reliable. There is a faint smell after using the torch but it dissipates in a few minutes. I get the Calibri butane at a liquor store.

Check out our friend @M0J0 at www.infinityvm.com. He has reduced prices.

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
There is a faint smell after using the torch but it dissipates in a few minutes.

Hmmm. It’s funny, I’ve been doing research on the three vapes I mentioned for a week solid, but it wasn’t till I posted here that I thought about the possible smell of butane lighters. That may be a major obstacle to achieving the much coveted WAF (Wife Approval Factor).

Mr Mellish

Hmmm. It’s funny, I’ve been doing research on the three vapes I mentioned for a week solid, but it wasn’t till I posted here that I thought about the possible smell of butane lighters. That may be a major obstacle to achieving the much coveted WAF (Wife Approval Factor).

If your wife is on-board, the smell of the butane probably isn't relevant. In my case, the WAF will NEVER happen. She once entered the room almost immediately after a butane session and wondered what that "hot" smell was. As I said, the smell is not strong and dissipates quickly. It just smells like someone has been using a lighter. (I know there is an argument that butane has no odor but I can tell you from first hand experience that it leaves some sort of temporary but noticeable "essence.")

vapman

Manufacturer

I agree 100% on this, electronic vaporizers are all using more or less the same technologies, they mainly differ in materials and display of temperature.
I am not thinking of new technologies, that is not necessary anyway as we have great technologies for heating and controlling the temperature.
I am thinking of a new principle applying existing technologies! Any kid would understand the new principle I am thinking of but turning the simple idea in to reality is another thing. What I'm thinking of is not way-out nor is it outrageous but no one has thought about it up to now, I'm at least not aware of it. Of course I am not revealing more about it, in case it won't be me realizing it, someone else will do it some time in the future for sure.
Lately I went to the same technical college which helped me on the development of the vapman heating station. I asked them if they would help me on the basic research for the new project, the college is much better equipped for research jobs than I am in my workshop, especially in the electric and electronic field. Unfortunately I walked into the wrong person, he did not like the idea of developing a vaporizer at the college, even he agreed that my idea is good and feasible. It wouldn't be me if I would give up now, it is just a momentarily setback, the idea won't go out of my head. How could it?;)

To be continued.....:)

vapman

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
Not a quantum leap, but IMO very useful progress.

I agree with you, I think we need to wait for a new generetion of batteries to really see a big leap forward but there is still room to improve "old" tech.

Now that more states have legalized recreational use we can expect a flush of Venture Capital to further drive the eternal quest......or at least hope it will?

Personally I welcome the big flow of money coming into the industry, at least for conscious and informed consumers as we are it just means more and better products to choose from.

Also, where do most people get butane?

The more refined ones are usually sold by tobacconists/cigar shops but after trying various brands I just settled on the big cheap cans at a local chinese shop. It's probably reducing the lifespan of my torches a bit but they're going to stop working regardless of what I put inside them so I don't really care for butane quality.

I am not thinking of new technologies, that is not necessary anyway as we have great technologies for heating and controlling the temperature.
I am thinking of a new principle applying existing technologies! Any kid would understand the new principle I am thinking of but turning the simple idea in to reality is another thing. What I'm thinking of is not way-out nor is it outrageous but no one has thought about it up to now, I'm at least not aware of it.

And now I'm really curious.

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
Alright I did it! I just kind of casually mentioned I was getting a new vape while we were hitting the Nano and she didn’t bat an eye. I told her all about butane vapes and my research and her eyes glazed over, as they always do when I prattle on about vapes, but still no eye batting. In fact, fortunately for me, there was no batting of any sort. Not a sausage. I’m in. Now off to figure out the torch situation. I’ll peruse the thread, but this all seems hit or miss.

It's probably reducing the lifespan of my torches a bit but they're going to stop working regardless of what I put inside them

So the only reason to use the more refined stuff is to prolong the lifespan of the $3 lighter I buy. Interesting. I live in an extremely rural area with very few options so it’s either Ronson or I need to buy online I think.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
So the only reason to use the more refined stuff is to prolong the lifespan of the $3 lighter I buy. Interesting. I live in an extremely rural area with very few options so it’s either Ronson or I need to buy online I think.

I'd say buy a bunch of cheap torches from aliexpress and go with the Ronson. Never had a torch last for more than some months.

vapor.man

I already had this one (http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320) before I bought my first vapman and found out that it works too. Later I found this lighter (http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-with-clear-tank-1455). I have it in my outdoor vapman bag because its the smallest one and doesn't have a cap to protect the nozzle which could get loose during transport. I really can't say that one of these works better, But I already broke 2 cheap lighters. So if you don't buy the vapman lighter maybe get 2 or 3 of the cheap ones.
Most of the time I use vapman with the station. Otherwise at home or at friends I take one of my vapman lighters. When out and about I take a cheap lighter because I don't wanna loose or break the orignal one.

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I've been using the same torch for over three years. found it on amazon for approx $20, looks like it a culinary torch but smaller. those cheap torches all broke after less than 10 uses, usually still full of butane...

Gourmet

Anybody legoing his vapman loses his warranty instantly, especially when done on a Sunday!
Phuu, fortunately it doesn't concern Playmobiling, so I get my kicks on a wild testdrive with my new powerfull Vapman-slicer prototype! :rofl:

Vroooooommmmm....!
CBMjcTW.gif

(and yes, it got a M0J0 on board);)

1nQ4whL.jpg

rtDkiBt.jpg

ytYKSxU.jpg

pWBMejt.jpg

2qyzzkQ.jpg

Fwkhice.jpg

(And pssst, don't say René that the mechanic is an old Legohead):D

Last edited:

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
I got the torch that comes with the Vapman and haven't had a single problem in the last 3-4 years.

I've been using the same torch for over three years.

Wow I would never expect a torch lasting so long!
Do you use premium/refined butane? Do you do all the manteinance things?

found it on amazon for approx $20, looks like it a culinary torch but smaller.

Do you have a link or can you tell me the model?

Yep they are good, big tank and quite long lasting. Usually the first thing to break is the button.
I like the Honest torches because of the big plastic ring around the valve that you can easily turn with your fingernails or almost anything. At the moment I'm using the one you posted at home and the honest outdoor as it is smaller and because of the ease of adjustment.

sku_165541_3.jpg

Chandler

Torontovaporizer Thanks giving sale debacle.....

For anyone really interested i figured PM me and i could show you the exact details to my correspondence with Torontovaporizer. i'm pleased with the outcome and won't hesitate to do business with them in the future so i didn't want to come across as or be accused of 'bashing' them.

I placed my order Oct.9th. Received 2 Vapman classics on Nov.17th... took a min. but was worth the wait.
A friend who had ordered 3 basic units was ready to go to war with them over the issue, especially after they had accepted her funds and sent an invoice followed by shipping information. I let her deal with them and waited for the outcome before i dealt with them.

when i dealt with them, they offered an upgrade to the classic for $20. they offered my friend a 10$ upgrade with the promise of free gifts. i let them know that i know how they dealt with my friend and that it was disrespect that they would offer me a returning customer anything less than someone who didn't plan and doesn't ever plan to do business with them again.

They responded promptly and agreed to the $10 upgrade. i also wanted a zeus temple dehumidor box which retails for $49 which they discounted to $35.

in the end i got two pearwood Vapman Classics for $62 CAD thats approximately $47 USD.
My original walnut Vapman classic cost me $144 after taxes, so to get two more for less than that original one was an incredible steal.

The inconvenience was annoying, as the word suggests, but patience (my end) and honor (on their end) allowed for a mutually beneficial, amicable ending. I have no ill will towards torontovaporizer.ca
My friend however, this was one of those situations that solidified her opposition to buying online. She will never order from them again. i tried to impress upon here that she was just awarded 3 great vaporizers for $30 more than i paid for 1!!!.... she doesnt care. lol

I think TVape made a huge honest mistake which for some damaged their credibility, but from my experience corresponding with them will lead to peaceful solutions!

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Alright I did it! I just kind of casually mentioned I was getting a new vape while we were hitting the Nano and she didn’t bat an eye. I told her all about butane vapes and my research and her eyes glazed over, as they always do when I prattle on about vapes, but still no eye batting. In fact, fortunately for me, there was no batting of any sort. Not a sausage. I’m in. Now off to figure out the torch situation. I’ll peruse the thread, but this all seems hit or miss.

I'm with you, I can Suss out Vector or more refined tane if I peruse head shops around me but hit or miss and just easier to buy Ronson at hardware store. That said I have an honest torch that came with Lotus and it's cheap and works 2 years running. Also have a Bernzomatic big torch for concentrates. Both I use Ronson and actually all my lighters still work other than the one I got with my Sticky Brick (Eagle I think) but I fucked it up at the ignition area and had nothing to do with the tane.

I've been using my VM a lot lately. Forgot how awesome it was. Finally got good technique down! And finally tried through water. Enjoyable!

5 sec blasts for me with my honest on the higher end. 2 of those at the top when I start with a Brief pause between. A nice ramp up of flavor and clouds through the session.

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
So finally my shorter water tool adapter arrived:

u4qjFVR.jpg

u4qjFVR.jpg

WMuaMIT.jpg

KK6suTW.jpg

It also fits a 18mm joint like the regular mouthpiece fits the 14mm:

fs6jEjJ.jpg

so @vapman I think you can tinker a bit with the angles and have an universal wood on glass adapter that fits both the sizes.

I wanted to try it and decided to do it with some concentrates so I pressed this:

O8KBmag.jpg

into this:

wedhUAB.jpg

rfBf6xE.jpg

qd7Ysvc.jpg

NKitrRp.jpg

and with the help of the station I melted it on a concentrate screen

nIfUOJX.gif

zFyylDW.jpg

L03y6zz.gif

And it's gone!

MjcuwZV.jpg

Without the three hole on the midsection the draw is pretty restricted but the vapor produced is very dense.
Great job René, I'll try it with some flowers soon.

OF

I'm with you, I can Suss out Vector or more refined tane if I peruse head shops around me but hit or miss and just easier to buy Ronson at hardware store. That said I have an honest torch that came with Lotus and it's cheap and works 2 years running.
It would certainly be easier for me to just use Ronson, and cheaper I reckon.

Why I think there's a definite advantage to pure Butane in some cases (like say Iolites), consider that the lighters we use come from a country with some extremely crude Butane and do just fine? They are designed to use it, and really can't 'take advantage' of the higher purity anyway.

If you insist, very pure gas can be bought in a couple of places you don't think of normally. Gourmet shops carry it for use in cooking and snooty Cigar shops carry it for the guys lighting $20 stogies with $300 lighters.

My advice is to get a couple of these lighters ( $3 each shipped....):

http://www.tinydeal.com/refillable-jet-1300-butane-lighter-with-tank-p-2570.html
http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.WDIJ80_W0YM

Delivery can be slow from China of course, but I suggest ordering one or two from each vendor. Even on the cheapest fuel you can find they (collectively) should last longer than the VM. Tough little guys, I have used them for years and have yet to break one or have one fail. Including the one that spent the winter on a patio table by mistake. I had to evict the spider than moved in, but it still had gas and worked fine when blown out when I found it come Spring.

By them, and local cheap fuel and you'll more than break even on the cost of a single can of Vector? And with Vector you'll still have to buy the lighter.......

OF

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
^^^ I've had really good luck with these torches too. I bought a bunch and only opened two, they're what i've used daily for the last couple of years and still going strong... but also haven't had a problem with the vapman torch yet although I only use it for a few sessions a week.

I do use iolite butane because I picked up a case few years ago for less than $40, not sure what quality it is but it's been working well for me.

Top Bottom