Vapman

Schotzele

Relaxing
Thank you Gourmet!

I've had my VM sleeping on the shelf with in my collection for a few years as I usually use a VG or a MFLB.

I rediscovered it a few days ago and must admit that I underrated its performances ...

It's actually an excellent portable vaporizer for single user and I feel like starting a new collection inside my collection (21 VG's, 5 MFLB's, 1 Muad-dib. 2 SSV's that I rarely use even if they are excellent, 1 Volcano I never use as it's too much hassle, 1 old Herbalaire I never use, and 2 P-D's that I use occasionnally).

It's very beautiful, has nice design, is sustainable, and does its job very well. Tabletop vaporizers work well but I never use them, I prefer the portable ones.

I'll get some sandpaper and wait for the washer to arrive... hope I will manage it ;)

Has anyone already done this at home? ;)

OF

Has anyone already done this at home? ;)

Yes. It's a common technique, very easy to do. Lay a sheet of medium/fine paper (say 240 grit) on a flat surface then put the wood piece flat on top and move it over the paper (not the other way around). Avoid straight lines or circles for best results, a 'figure 8 pattern' being traditional.

You end up with a smooth, flat surface sanded from 'all directions'. Square and flat. Sand until you have a flat a little bigger than the metal ring is where it contacts the wood. Remember, the metal screen should not be tight, it should 'float a bit' so it can align with the pan and seal well. Notice how the two screws are 'loose on the metal' before you take it apart to sand the wood.

OF

Schotzele

Relaxing
Thank you OF for those precious tips!

I'll keep you updated.

It might take a few weeks as cheap screwdrivers I ordered from China need to come too.

And I will enrich my VM with an ebony mouthpice soon as I don't like the plastic one.

BTW the same stems/mouthpieces can be used both on VG, MFLB and VM.

The MFLB dart stem fits well on the VM and gives it an odd but cool look :tup:

The Beagle

Bubbles & Bags
I made this one according to the measurement table, the cone goes from 11mm to 14.5mm (14mm adapter). This means it could be used for quite a large range of diameters, lets say from 12mm to 14.5mm.
Of course it is possible to make the cone individually to the exact size of any particular counter part.

My bad René,
I posted the full size joint table but the majority of water pipes female joints are made according to the mid size measurements.
Here it is:

UfcZDB4.png

I'm sending you a message to have one made for me.

usw

Hello everyone, I'm still enjoying my vapman after more than a year. I was wondering though if there was any hope for an alternative model with a larger material chamber ? :D

usw,
Reactions: Gregori

Chandler

@VegNVape Nice photo! is your vapman without a ss ring in the midsection? how long has your vapman been in use??

on another note, i said 'Fuck Combustion' in March. about 8 months ago(damn time flies)! the last few months i began tracking my consumption habits. Previously, while smoking i consumed at a minimum, 7g's a week. lately my weekly consumption is 3.5g's or less. its crazy because i know i have way more sessions now than when i smoked, so i did the math.
if vapman holds .07 (so as not to exagerate) 1g/.07g's=14sesh's. safe to say i vape approx. 15 sessions off 1g (with Vapman of course). therefore:
15sessionsx3.5g's=52.5 total sessions
52.5/7=7.5sessions/day
(feel free to correct me if my math is off)

i definately dont vapman 7 times a day, but some days i do. i guess the averages average things out. some days i might do 10+ sessions, everyday is different, every strain is different. The efficiency of vapman still amazes me. the efficiency of vaping in general astounds me. These gains through efficiency more than make up for and justify all of our VAS!

within my equation i'm neglecting the use of my Crafty, which would account for at least 10 of those sessions weekly and has more than double the bowl size, however i go weeks without using crafty, soley using vapman....

Yall know how it is, these vape ideas in our minds that none of our 'combusting'/herbfree friends wanna hear about. I'm glad i have this outlet to share these thoughts amongst people who 'might' care and share similar perspective...

Lastly, i'm on the verge of resolving my issue with Torontovaporizer. i Figured i'd wait until the matter was concluded before i post the entire ordeal. I'll update yall on that situation real soon.

Bless

Last edited:

OF

y, especially when done on a Sunday!

Is that local time or GMT? Or maybe "UTC plus 1" as is standard in the land of it's birth?

How 'Coordinated Universal Time' ended up UTC not CUT remains another question I guess.......

Dicey question on official time zones though, if there's going to be added penalty for such sacrilege on the Sabbath (and I think we all agree there should be......) it's important I think to define the details up front?

Depends a bit on if you take a local, global or cosmic view of things I guess?

OF

Chandler

who uses convection vapes on a regular?? i'm trying to get to the bottom of this! i'm asking questions about the flavor quality coming from a davinci IQ. every answer people seem to give is 'the flavor is great for a conduction vape'.

Crafty is hybrid convection/conduction. Vapman is pure conduction. Vapman retains the initial terpenes better than Crafty in my opinion. Crafty however maintains great flavor throughout the entire session, while Vapman leaves the rest up to your desires.... but, 'great for a conduction vape'... convection snobs!

I remember asking the question vapman vs. Lotus, i believe the response was that the lotus wins in flavor, but not in discretion. Can't remember.

I just want to know if convection is really that much nicer tasting, convection enthusiasts also claim the effects are also nicer!

Any experienced vaporist can clear this up for me??

@vapman have you ever considered creating a convection style vapman??

StonerSloth

cui bono?
who uses convection vapes on a regular?? i'm trying to get to the bottom of this! i'm asking questions about the flavor quality coming from a davinci IQ. every answer people seem to give is 'the flavor is great for a conduction vape'.

Crafty is hybrid convection/conduction. Vapman is pure conduction. Vapman retains the initial terpenes better than Crafty in my opinion. Crafty however maintains great flavor throughout the entire session, while Vapman leaves the rest up to your desires.... but, 'great for a conduction vape'... convection snobs!

I remember asking the question vapman vs. Lotus, i believe the response was that the lotus wins in flavor, but not in discretion. Can't remember.

I just want to know if convection is really that much nicer tasting, convection enthusiasts also claim the effects are also nicer!

Any experienced vaporist can clear this up for me??

I will take a stab at this one (with caution..........)

I use primarily convection vapes - mostly Underdogs - but I also very much enjoy my vapman as well as my hybrids like Air/Solo etc.

I think that vapman is the best tasting conduction vape I've used without a doubt. (No experience with the IQ unfortunately - I opted for the FW4 instead...)

I think the infamous bad "conduction taste" comes from the hot chamber walls baking your material between hits. I think that the vapman tastes better than most conduction vapes because it cools down between hits (as you draw on it) and the heat is only really coming from one direction. The shape of the chamber makes a big difference.

Chandler

I think the infamous bad "conduction taste" comes from the hot chamber walls baking your material between hits. I think that the vapman tastes better than most conduction vapes because it cools down between hits (as you draw on it) and the heat is only really coming from one direction. The shape of the chamber makes a big difference.

Thank you, i wasn't thinking the matter through properly. This makes perfect sense. without taking a draw, a 5 to 10 min. session in my crafty, or Air, would still cook all the material till its waste, whereas a pure convection vape would still have material worth vaping after being heated for the same amount of time...

so with vapman, the material cools much after taking a draw opposed to a continued bake and won't continue heating at a high rate until we apply more heat... Awesome. So conduction essentially wastes flower as it continues to cook between draws. So i guess Vapman wins the conduction race because we manually control the degree of heat and the length of time heat is applied, giving great tasting vapor till the end. Very interesting... So this knowledge/understanding is what births convection snobs? lol

i feel kind of stupid i couldn't see this for myself. As a flavor chaser i'm even more interested in tasting convection vapor!!
Because i'm still impressed by the efficiency of vaping, i never once considered vaping via conduction as a 'waste' of material. i still don't. Multiple options allow for various intriguing innovations.
i do think everyone here would help fund a kickstarter for a convection type Vapman though!! No?

Last edited:

OF

So conduction essentially wastes flower as it continues to cook between draws. So i guess Vapman wins the conduction race because we manually control the degree of heat and the length of time heat is applied, giving great tasting vapor till the end.

i do think everyone here would help fund a kickstarter for a convection type Vapman though!! No?

While flavor takes a beating, I wouldn't say it wastes the medicinal value necessarily. Some conduction vapes, like say Ascent show this. In that case, since Ascent can be kept relatively clean easily, taste is also excellent. IMO you're only going to get clean taste in a clean vape. Keeping most conduction vapes really clean is a problem I think.

I know it's popular to think so, but the more I think about it the more I'm convincing myself there really is no such thing as a 'conduction/convection hybrid'. Thermodynamics says you get one or the other. You need heat (calories, not degrees) to make vapor. This heat has to flow into the load somehow (remember 'heat flows from hot to cold'). Since the air leaves at vaping temperature it it's what's carrying the heat in (convection) it has to be hotter to start with. From a practical sense, much hotter. Consider how hot VG's heat exchanger gets, or the fact that Thermovape's T1 and Cera thermal cores are 'glowing hot' (about 1500F). Air the temperature of the walls isn't going to do any work from a Thermodynamics POV.

That same argument, 'the source has to be much hotter' also applies to the idea that VM works by Radiation. You can only transfer calories (do work) if the source is much hotter than the target. Such a much higher temperature would cause combustion in conduction. I don't think there's significant overlap between conduction and either convection or radiation, FWIW.

While I think I understand what drives the 'convection VM' idea, be sure you use someone else's money would be my advice. Another factor to keep in mind is convection, by it's nature, is very inefficient with heat usage compared conduction. All the energy used to raise the air to vaping temperature is a straight loss for openers. The shape of the VM pan, thicker in the center, thin at the edges, also plays an important role in how the heat is stored and used. VM is a fun thing from a heat POV in that we have to store all the energy we'll use for the upcoming hit before hand. I'm not saying convection is a bad idea, VG is basically that I think, it's just that VM is neater IMO.

OF

vapman

Manufacturer

The very first vaporizer I made was a pure convection desktop vaporizer.

Because of the following, I am not even thinking of making a portable convection vaporizer:

Another factor to keep in mind is convection, by it's nature, is very inefficient with heat usage compared conduction. All the energy used to raise the air to vaping temperature is a straight loss for openers.

As @OF states, convection uses the multiple of energy compared to conduction and is therefore, at least for me, no option for a portable unit. Check out the portable convection vaporizers and how they have to be cooled down with cooling finns! Some use silicone protections to prevent lips getting burned. All this requires very high battery consumption and all the issues which go with that.

If I ever should make an electronic portable vaporizer, it will definitely be conduction only! There is also something else I would change. This "something else", I will not reveal now but I am thinking and working on it.;)

Most important is not to burn the contents, regardless if it is conduction or convection, burned is burned and not good in any ways!

vapman

Chandler

The very first vaporizer I made was a pure convection desktop vaporizer.
Interesting! How was the end result? did that ever hit the market or was that more of a prototype? did you have a name for that device? pictures? :brow:

If I ever should make an electronic portable vaporizer, it will definitely be conduction only! There is also something else I would change. This "something else", I will not reveal now but I am thinking and working on it.;)

Awesome :clap:. Much appreciated. this is why i ramble on, to keep the discussion and these ideas going. Its also great to hear a little History! I understand what your saying though. Basically, Conduction is great, highly efficient and effective... indeed, i'm sure we're all now interested in this 'something else'!!.... With this conversation my VAS has been momentarily quenched.

VM is a fun thing from a heat POV in that we have to store all the energy we'll use for the upcoming hit before hand. I'm not saying convection is a bad idea, VG is basically that I think, it's just that VM is neater IMO.
Thanks for your input. i Agree totally with you!

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
@VegNVape Nice photo! is your vapman without a ss ring in the midsection? how long has your vapman been in use??
:tup:

Hey man, my soulful little V'man has seen regular use, accompanied me on many trips, and has been pretty well partied over the past couple of years or so. And no, I don't have a protective SS washer in the mid-section.

Poor thing is actually looking pretty battle scarred right now with it's heavily oiled mid-section, bent sprung retaining arms, and missing screw. Plus, to top it all off he's only ever been cleaned a handful of times :disgust:

. . . . Yet still he rocks hard :rockon:

(Not that I'm encouraging or advocating Vapman abuse or neglect of any kind - but he can certainly rough it out when the going gets tough!)

So er yeah, shamefully, I really do need to perform a little VMTLC over here!
Anybody legoing his vapman loses his warranty instantly, especially when done on a Sunday!
:rofl:
Oh bugger! Whatever will I do without my Vapman warranty?! Now I'll be totally up shit creek without a paddle when the battery dies or the electronics go wonky! :rant:

Y'know, I always did think that this was all just a bit too good to be true!

:razz:

Philosophy of a Vapman: I vap therefore I am.

MuchLove
:peace:

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
The difference between conduction and convection always reminds me of Dr Seuss's Sneetches. One type believing that they are better than the other. In fact , they are both great, or not, depending on the device itself. I've had wonderful success with both as have most others on FC. As far as preference, I do usually prefer convection for reasons that are personal to me and may be different for someone else. Flavor is the one lasting memory of my transition to vaping almost eight years ago, however, you only get one or two flavor hits per load. Many of the conduction vapes can more easily result in a charred / combusted taste which I have lost my tolerance for and that is why is lean towards convection. even the Vapman can combust if you are not carful and yet I often marvel at its fantastic flavor and cool vapor despite its short vapor path...

If I'm not mistaken, Rene posted some photos somewhere in this thread of his convection desktop. It was remarkably similar or the prototype of the Aromed ( my favorite ).
and how about that teaser: " something" in the works. can't wait to find out !!

Top Bottom