Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I think the only issue would be solubility of cannabinoids in ethanol... I don't know what the numbers are for it and I don't know how much the cotton has... It won't happen for a little while anyways, but I assume something in the 40% would be fine? I know tincture recipes call for highest proof possible with Bacardi 151 being the minimum.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Morty

John Lewus

I'll try asking for that next time I am in a liquor store. I don't drink that much anymore now that I found a healthier habit :)

I think the only issue would be solubility of cannabinoids in ethanol... I don't know what the numbers are for it and I don't know how much the cotton has... It won't happen for a little while anyways, but I assume something in the 40% would be fine? I know tincture recipes call for highest proof possible with Bacardi 151 being the minimum.

I would be soaking hemp fiber in alcohol so no clue on how long you have to soak.

If you're planning to drink it then I don't see why you need really high proof. You're not planning to evaporate it.

I *think* I need a high proof to get the waxy buildup on the hemp fiber to dissolve off. I don't plan to eat any hemb fibers if I can avoid it. I've never done this before so I have no idea the best way to get the honey out of the beehive :rofl:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Enchantre - Glad to hear you had success soaking it in everclear. The fiber filtration has really changed my vapor experience for the better.

@John Lewus - Great solution for your HT. Are you roasting the dirty hemp filter in your ELB?

@Quetzalcoatl - Try cutting a square of coffee filter paper large enough to wrap the cotton filter and then dip and squeeze into the alcohol. That should prevent any fibers from getting into your solution and you won't have too much filter paper to soak up the solution. Maybe one shot glass for clean alcohol and then squeeze it into another shot glass. Transfer the alcohol from one shot glass to the other by using the hemp / paper filter as a sponge. I would personally just roast that cotton but I hope the solution works for you.

John Lewus

Great solution for your HT. Are you roasting the dirty hemp filter in your ELB?

I have but I have to get it thicker to get more concentrated hits. I want to try making a medible or tincture out of it. I need to find some high proof alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Lewus

OK guys wish me luck. I have about 6 hemp filters with 3 to 4 weeks of buildup that I am experimenting with alcohol extraction on. I never made a tincture before but I think it is similar. I found some 190 proof grain alcohol at the store and I am letting most of of it evaporate off. I'll ease into it first :)

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Ahhh you're making hash, I thought you were going to drink it in kinda a golden dragon kinda deal . . . :ko:

t-dub,
Reactions: Morty

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
John, that alcohol is gonna burn, and this stuff is likely not to taste so good, so if you make it syrupy you might find yourself with a tongue and throat coated with some vile burning stuff that won't go away immediately. I would get it down the hatch quickly and follow it with water/milk and something fatty and cool like yogurt.

Quetzalcoatl

Alcohol doesn't have much of a problem absorbing though a little help couldn't hurt. I agree with chasing it though. Let us know how it works :)

John Lewus

OK I am back to report back. I kept spilling small amounts here and there and probably lost 30% of what I started with. I am impressed at how well I could just squeeze out all of the honey colored alcohol. I only used about 1/4th of a shot glass if even that for everything. T-dub and I must think the same way because I drank some whole milk before each chug. I did only half the amount and waited 30 min for the other 1/2. It really was not that much alcohol but it did burn a bit like I expected.

I got pretty medicated last night. No pain and not a care in the world. I think it was a bit much because I woke up and am feeling super relaxed right now. I need to read up on medibles and cooking techniques to see if there are other things I can try out because this seems like a great way to reclaim.

John Lewus

OK guys I have been doing some more experimenting. I started with a fresh wad of hemp fiber and weighed it. I then vaped over the last week 29 1/2 filled ELB's of varying strains using my glass piece to hold the hemp fiber. Here are some observations.

1. I started off at 0.06 grams and after 29 ELB's it weighed 0.21 grams. Did I just get 0.15 grams of oil reclaim for free?
2. The hits actually felt smoother for me as the hemp fiber got more clogged. I am super sensitive though.
3. After a certain point (~20 ELB's) the oil would start to leak upwards onto the glass and soak out of the hemp fiber. There is only so much you can really capture in this thing.
4. There is a slight added restriction when pulling from the cloud which caused me to have to pull a bit harder. It was not uncomfortable but if you are a medical patient that already has a hard time pulling this will make it 10% harder but the smoothness is worth it :)

Before

oroF19S.jpg

29 ELB's and the weight increased by 0.15grams.

w4QwZvb.jpg

You can see there is still some oil on the end of my glass piece that holds the hemp fiber. There is probably a bit more reclaim on this still yet. I will dip this in some hot whole milk for a chocolate relaxing evening... and clean glass :)

0v0UA19.jpg

John Lewus

If you vape the reclaim off the Hemp fiber, can you weigh it again when it's dry?? Just for kicks..
Cool data, it's always interesting to have some numbers.:tup:

This sounds like an excellent plan for today. Now the question is do I vape at a high temp or moderate temp? Either way it tends to really burn the hemp fiber.

John Lewus,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
This sounds like an excellent plan for today. Now the question is do I vape at a high temp or moderate temp? Either way it tends to really burn the hemp fiber.
I would just use the temperature that you usually do when vaping the hemp fiber.. Keep the routine normal, I would say.

John Lewus

I would just use the temperature that you usually do when vaping the hemp fiber.. Keep the routine normal, I would say.

I treat this like a dab. I turned it up to 2pm on the cloud dial. My normal temp is 10am for flowers. I have blown 8 massive cloud already. I feel great still an hour away.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I treat this like a dab. I turned it up to 2pm on the cloud dial. My normal temp is 10am for flowers. I have blown 8 massive cloud already. I feel great still an hour away.
Nice! How much does that hemp fiber weigh.. It sure gets a lot smaller looking after cashing it out.. especially at the higher temperatures or longer heat exposure, IMO... Do you usually vape your hemp fiber at 2 on the dial?

John Lewus

14 clouds in now. Whew. Hard to type right after. I'll weigh it at the end.

The cool thing is the oil is building backup quick on the new hemp filter with the extract from the old hemp filter. The stem is getting a a super thick and clean honey extract on the end. I am recycling the recycled and will soon recycle that and that will get reclaimed. I am really maximizing my herb. About the only thing wasted now is what I breathe out and my glass stays pristine.

Edit: 15 and still massive smokey hits. I am normally low temp so I am not used to this.

Edit edit: I just realized my neck does not really hurt now. WIN! :rockon:

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

I decided to wash some of the cotton with some 99% ISO and strain it, followed by a low temperature heat purge (est ~70f) and then a higher 95f purge. The oil, once I scraped it up, was a dark amber, and sappy but it wasn't runny. See-through, too... It was enough to get a handful of dabs. The taste was surprisingly not bad for what it is. I was vaping low temps for this cotton, feels really sativa with a good body buzz. Best of all... it's free :D I didn't take pictures, sorry. I will next time. This was an excellent idea :nod:

John Lewus

OK here is another update. I spent most of yesterday evening vaping away the hemp fiber. The first few hits at 2 oclock were incredibly thick hits that were more than my sensitive lungs can handle. They were a bit harsher too. After about the 5th hit it tasted just like a clean cloud dab that I had done in the past. I don't know why those firsts few hits were harsher. The sticky waxy buildup in the hemp fiber has some dark dark brown/black stuff in there as well. It is the same stuff that builds up on your glass right where the vapor first hits and is not the golden honey you get further down your stem. That stuff builds up in the hemp fiber as well. I believe my first 5 high temp dab like hits on the cloud was vaping some of this stuff off. I hope there is nothing in the hemp fiber itself that would be vaping off. I will try vaping some hemp fiber at high temp by itself to see what happens to it. I should note that the hemb fiber is now extremely brittle and disintegrates when run.

So I started off with 0.06g of hemp fiber that after 29 ELB's the weight grew to 0.21g. I then vaped that hemp ball and got about 15 massive clouds out of it before I noticed them starting to thin out. I got maybe 10 more hits out of it that got thinner and thinner each time. By hit 25 I was still getting wispy hits so I quit. I then got 4 more hits with NO FREAKING ELB!!! It was just from whatever small amount of oil that leaked from the ELB into the cloud joint. I have a special cloud. It makes clouds with no ELB :) It is a magic cloud that grew from a seed that fell from my money tree growing out back. :)

I then weighed the final and it came back in at 0.06g which is where this all started. It was noticeably more burnt but I believe that is just the darker reclaim crud that is the leftover. I wish I knew what this was. I also don't believe I fully vaped off the 0.21g because there was slightly more honey on my glass. It was not that too much more honey but definitely noticeable. It does not really matter because I have an almost perfectly closed system so that honey will get used at some point and not cleaned off through a daily PBW or SG soak.

Here are some pics of the final hemp ball. Look at my posts above to see where this all started.

I started at 0.06 grams. Vaped 29 ELB's. Hemp ball went to 0.21 grams. I vaped that for half a day and am now back to 0.06 grams.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the most important thing about this for me. My neck pain went away!!! I am going to save these balls for when I need the pain relief the most. I thought there would be more THC in this buildup that is not supposed to help on pain as much as CBD but whatever it is the oil seems to work better for me and this is free reclaim!

BbDTgXu.jpg

O99lT1i.jpg

4NZcg3T.jpg

I took this one with a flash. I should use a better camera than my cell phone.

t1zwgbv.jpg

Top Bottom