Buildozer

Baked & Fried
i set up so i could use less hemp fiber in the vapor path than before.. and i put it further away from the heat than i had it before.. there is less restriction, and it doesn't strip as much off my hits.. and i like it now.. especially for dry rips.. before, it was too close to the heat to help cool the vapor down.. i think? and there was at least 2x more hemp in there. but now it helps cool it a lot more.. i'm glad i kept trying.

John Lewus

I finally got my hemp fiber. I use a cloud with a hydracirc and my first time trying that was an utter failure as I sucked the hemp right into the tube. I found a screen the perfect size and my thin wad of hemp fiber fit perfectly. I used it for a week and had friends over and went through somewhere between 3o and 40 3/4 loosely filled ELB's in my cloud. It made a really nice thick and dark red sticky residue on the hemp fiber. I did not weigh it but it felt about 1/4th of a gram because its weight was similar to a quarter of oil I bought before. I believe this is the same or very similar to the red sublimate that people get from the sublimator. I got the same thing but from the cloud through convection only heating.

I happen to own two hydracirc's but one has a very slight chip in the base and has vertical slits vs 45 degree angle slits of my flawless one. The angled slit hydracirc has the screen and hemp fiber for filtration. Using the same ELB's I did side by side comparisons of the fiber vs no fiber. I could tell a slight difference in smoothness with the hemp fiber. There was slightly less harshness to the hemp fiber filtered hits. Given that it is like comparing TV's side by side... once you take it home you probably won't know.

The best part was last night when I vaped that hemp fiber bad boy. I got an entire nights session of some clean oil hits (no butane) just from the reclaim. I then used it for half of tonight's session. I even had some buildup already on the new hemp fiber from filtering those hits!!

The only concern I had was that I probably did 25 or 30 hits at high temp from that ELB with the hemp fiber and by the end the fiber was charred and extremely brittle. I hope nothing too bad is going into my lungs. I do have less flem in the mornings but still have if I overdo it. I am a sensitive guy :cry: Low temp vaping for me and small hits.

EDIT: I should also mention that I had none of that dusty buildup on the inner tube of my hydracirc in that hard to reach part. I only get a very thin hazy film that simply green or PBW easily handles.

EDIT2: This feels like a win win win for me. 1. Smoother hit 2. Awesome, easy, simple, smooth reclaim 3. Cleaner glass

Last edited:

farscaper

So it seems that the users using hemp fiber like that better then cotton and those users also dont seem to report the reduction in overall potency... Could be that it wasnt something they concerned about. But It seems that its less absorbent like and more screen like. Whereas the cotton is very absorbent....?

Wish I could try some, but funds are extremely limited.

farscaper,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@John Lewus

If you have the same hemp fiber I have, then you are either hitting it more than I and/or hitting it at hotter temps. My fiber comes out looking and feeling almost the same, just a little less soft. But I don't get as much out of it as you do. I tend to use it at the same temp first, then when the vapor fades I turn it up a bit and stop after that fades. But I haven't yet pushed it up to oil temps. The lack of change in the fiber is what I like the most. I would need to think about it some more before using it to the extreme that you are. Glad you are liking it...your EDIT2 sums it up perfectly for me.

Do you have the dry tube to use with the Cloud? I never use hemp with a HT, because the hemp filter is redundant in a water filtered system. Also, what other vapes do you have that you can vape the fiber in?

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
So it seems that the users using hemp fiber like that better then cotton and those users also dont seem to report the reduction in overall potency... Could be that it wasnt something they concerned about. But It seems that its less absorbent like and more screen like. Whereas the cotton is very absorbent....?

Wish I could try some, but funds are extremely limited.
i like it better.. it does a good job filtering small particles, and keeps the glass more clean.. but the hemp fiber seems to be more effected by heat than the cotton, IMO.. but i do use it pretty hot when i cash out.. it's not an issue, to me anyway.. it just cant be recycled as much.. the cotton does seem to trap more.. but you still get it back later :ko:.

AdmiralAlpacha

@John Lewus
I never use hemp with a HT, because the hemp filter is redundant in a water filtered system.

I disagree, I can tell a huge difference between just my water piece, and my water piece + cotton, infact I think the cotton alone makes a bigger difference than just water alone.

The more filtration the better for me

I haven't tried hemp yet however

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I still can't believe there isn't a Canadian vendor/supplier/manufacturer for this hemp product :shrug:

John Lewus

@stickstones

I had let the oil buildup on my hemp a lot more than you do and I ran my cloud at max temp to extract. Normally I am a low temp vapor guy but for oils the higher temps don't affect me too badly. I vaped through my hemp/oil ELB about 30 pulls total before I completely exhausted it. I have sensitive lungs so can't do the lung busting 1 ELB clearing type action. It takes me 5 hits to clear a 3/4 loosely filled ELB. The first one is almost all taste. Second and third are the fairly big ones. The fourth is more wispy but still big for my lungs. I then stir and break up the dried out herb and get one more big massive hit (for me). So if I get 5 hits out of a 3/4 filled ELB, then 30 hits out of my oil soaked Hemp fiber is pretty good and should allow people who have clouds to extrapolate what their usage is. I estimate it took me ~35 session to get that oil soaked hemp buildup. Next time I am going to write down what I am doing so I can better measure it.

So ~35 to 40 ELB's to buildup the oil and running it through 30 pulls at high temp left the hemp fiber brittle and black. It kind of fell apart on me and was very brittle. I want to point out one thing. When I use my Hydratube or cloud buddy with no filter I get this dark black specs of dust that slowly buildup right where the air hits first. However, in the other parts of my cloud buddy where the air changes direction I was getting a nice honey color oil. The stuff at the base of my Cloud buddy was more black and possibly very dark red whereas further downstream after the air changed direction I get a honey color. I wonder what the difference is between the two as far as CBD's and THC goes. I point this out because it is the darker stuff that really built up on the hemp fiber but I think the combined color gives it a deep red.

Anyways... What value is a post if it does not have pics? Enjoy :tup:

Pic of my cloud buddy that I let buildup form on last month. The part on the right is where the black specs of whatever buildup on . The air then flows from right to left and down the bottom You can see in the middle that more of a honey builds up there whereas the spot where the air hits first is much blacker.

wkfqe8.jpg

This is what my hemp fiber looked like after ~35 to ~40 total ELB's of usage. It kind of felt like a melted piece of gum in the hemp fiber. It was extremely sticky and a bit pliable.
vpc0i9.jpg

Here is a side by side. On the left I have degummed hemb fiber that has not been used. In the middle is the fiber I was using after maybe 25 pulls of the oil soaked hemp pictured above. I am recycling the recycled!! On the far right is that hemp fiber you see above after about 30 pulls through the ELB. It got very brittle and broke apart.
28s66h1.jpg

Someone earlier mentioned they had issues keeping the Hemp fiber in place in their Hydratube. This is how I do it and it works amazing. I leave the screen in there and soak my hydratube each night in a solution of Simply Green and do a thorough rinse the next morning. I always have clean glass. Don't forget to remove your hemp fiber when doing this.
rj4m77.jpg

Here is the new hemp fiber I am building up. This one has about 20 ELBs of usage or maybe a bit less.
doo19k.png

Whew this was a longer post than I intended. Here is what I have learned from this experience.

1. There is fairly significant amount of waste people lose by what is leftover in the ABV that was not extracted along with what is deposited on your glass as you do extract. Using the hemp fiber I never got Vape poo but just a more cloudy water. I estimate I was able to get 10% more by using the hemp fiber. This is loosely based on the fact I went about 10 days of usage before I got a free day of oil out of it.
2. The hemp fiber does get brittle when exposed to heat as much as I pushed it. I don't know if this is good or bad. The oil certainly felt smooth when I did it.
3. I will definitely use cotton or hemp for filtering going forward. I hope in this thread we can come to a consensus on which one is safer to use.

John Lewus

I could use some advice folks. I have another wad of hemp with oil buildup. Now I could vape that for 4 or 5 sessions but I want to make a medible. I have coconut oil, chocolate, protein powder, and whole milk. I am thinking to heat a couple table spoons of coconut oil and put that wax ball of hemp in there but I am not sure if it would completely break apart and separate the oil from the fiber and allow me to pour into a high fat protein shake. How could I separate these fibers out? I thought maybe strain in boiling hot water and make an herbal tea instead and maybe add coconut oil to that. I might have one of those metal spoon strainers for holding loose tea. That is a possibility. Which way would you go? I don't want to waste a good week of buildup.

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I toyed w/ that idea too.. But I usually end up vaping it off before I save enough to make it worth it.. hah

Maybe, soak it in a shot of strong alcohol, and put it in an empty tea bag to keep it together? Then wring it out.. Seems cool to me. You could save a bunch of them and make a tincture one day. Whatever you do, good luck.. I hope it works out.

John Lewus

Would a shot of vodka be good enough? I've never done a tincture. Could I soak in vodka and chug the shot?

John Lewus,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
ya it will work.. it's just that stronger alcohol will be able to absorb/hold more cannabinoids.. just wring it out good and maybe check to see how the hemp fiber is looking after.. to see if you got it all.

i have never done this exactly, but it seems straight forward enough.

Last edited:

John Lewus

@John Lewus, did you ever decide how to go about your medible? I'm curious how it turned out.

I decided to just smoke it. That turned out reasonably well. I think the medible would be better but I need to think about this more. I am thinking to use a small shot glass, coconut oil, and then heat up the oil over a flame and use toothpicks to separate out the oil from the hemp as best as possible. I could add some sugar and chocolate syrup for a shot of medible. I am racking my brain out trying to think of how best to do this. It takes me almost a week to get enough of one built up to test out.

John Lewus,
Reactions: Buildozer

John Lewus

Now that we have Cotton and Hemp fiber to use as a filter has anyone thought of charcoal? I was looking at this and thought it might be interesting to use with a Hydratube. I would have to go the other way female to male to make it work but I wonder how its performance for vapor would be. I am considering this anyways just as a way to hold the hemp because putting it in the Hydratube is kind of a pain because each night I soak the Hydratube so each day I end up taking it out and putting it back in again.

18-8-mm-straight-carbon-filter-built-in-screen-25-8f62.JPG

John Lewus,

farscaper

I wouldnt try reclaiming off coal filter, I used them for smoking a couple of times and wow what a diffrence, but as far as medible goes, I found it most effective to just shoot some everclear ala oil. Drop that hemp wad in a shot of ec, let set for leeching, then pour through a screen and drink. Its already decarbed from vaping and the alcohol makes a decent vehical for the actives. The coconut oil will be a lil messy and risk loss.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@John Lewus

I think the solution for you going forward will be to change the filter a lot. I change it when it gets a couple of shades darker than clean. Yesterday I took some of this hemp (which had been used for no more than 15 elb's, probably more like ten) and loaded a PNPro bullet. That thing hit me hard on level 2. I came back later for a nightcap with at at 4 and got seconds. The fibers filters get potent quickly. Be careful with that glob of yours...it will fuck you up!

I follow Alan's advise...make the filter thin and change it often!

John Lewus

@stickstones

I like the buildup so I can get really medicated. My plan was to build these up and find a way to make medibles so on the days I am just feeling like crap it will help me more. Bacardi 151 with one of these seems like one possible solution but I don't really want to drink alcohol. I am building one up now to try using coconut oil and melt it in a big spoon and *hope* I can extract out the resin from the fibers. Somehow I don't feel this will work.

John Lewus,

HSIHP

Has anyone tried using cotton as a spacer in the Pax? I've been afraid of using steel wool (probably just in my head) but after using cotton in both the Solo and Pro, I wondered if the would be any problem with the Pax oven.

HSIHP,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
my lhs owner said he and his friends use the spacer from the volcano in their pax's. I don't have a pax, but have used cotton in the Ascent, Solo and Pinnacle without issue. I'm pretty sure the ignition point of cotton is well above what we are doing. Give it a shot.

HSIHP

my lhs owner said he and his friends use the spacer from the volcano in their pax's. I don't have a pax, but have used cotton in the Ascent, Solo and Pinnacle without issue. I'm pretty sure the ignition point of cotton is well above what we are doing. Give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply, sticks. I actually ended up at my LHS and bought some pipe screens that are doing wonders. I'll end up trying the cotton sooner or later though.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Glad to see other getting good results from using the cotton/hemp filters.

I have started to use the hemp fiber a little differently with concentrates. I was just wrapping the concentrate in the fiber to roast it. The material had to melt and then soak into the fiber. It wasn't always easy to get good results. I have now started dissolving the concentrate in a bit of ethanol and then soaking up the solution into the hemp fiber. I use the same amount of fiber I would use for a filter in my mouthpiece tube. The fiber is now evenly saturated with the oil and I just wait for the ethanol to evaporate. The fiber becomes rigid, but not too sticky. Getting all the oil out from my ethanol extractor has always been a challenge. I should be able to just use hemp fiber to soak it up. I can have a bunch of pre-loaded hemp fiber discs. Much easier than dealing with the oil. Time to fire up the extractor again.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Interesting idea, Alan. I have an unrelenting thought about using pre-loaded hemp filled concentrate discs that can be loaded into a portable device on the go. Using ethanol or a similar solvent seems like it could be a useful medium to aid in this process.

Time to fire up the extractor again.

Fire it up! :rockon:

:peace:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm starting to get a nice collection of soaked hemp filters. They are perfect for portables, plus then there is no weed in it if I get stopped. I can totally see a rotation that has flowers at home and hemp with oil on the road.

The great thing about changing your filter often is you quickly get a pile of hemp to use!

Top Bottom