farscaper

Why not use ss mesh? I use it to vape concentrates all the time. 325 mesh or higher. Fold it over into a ribbon and roll it up so it looks like a flat firehose, place into bowl so its flat and looks like an electric oven burner. And u only need to buy it once. No moisture, no offgass.

John Lewus

Why not use ss mesh? I use it to vape concentrates all the time. 325 mesh or higher. Fold it over into a ribbon and roll it up so it looks like a flat firehose, place into bowl so its flat and looks like an electric oven burner. And u only need to buy it once. No moisture, no offgass.

How hard is that to clean? Is that a tighter mesh than a cloud ELB because the cloud elb's leak if you just drop concentrate in.

farscaper

Cant say, I dont have a cloud... But I learned this trick from an ecig friend. They use it as wick. If u google ecig ss wick you will see how to roll it up.

Now, I know what the screen ur talking about looks like and Iwill simplify the issue in 2 words

Capilary action.

Basically a screen is a screen... Til you roll it up. Then all the little holes start to form little pockets or capilaries. The larger the mesh # the finer the weave. I would assume the elb screen is around 300

Edit: cleaning is easy. Soak in iso or everclear and you will never have to replace it... You can torch clean, but I suggest aginst it.

farscaper

Basically that. Only instead of a square use a very loooooong piece. I even double it by folding it along the legnth once. Then roll it up. you will have to play with it a bit, but once its right its the last one you ever need. Provided you DO NOT OXIDIZE THE SCREEN. Just clean with iso or everclear. ;)

farscaper,
Reactions: t-dub

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
that's a good idea about the ss coil,

can i ask why you don't want to oxidize the screen?

vaporonly,

farscaper

Only because it will degrade it. The ecig fellas need to oxidize to prevent hot spots. Keep in mind that they wrap kanthal wire around it as an atomizer. So they dont want the wick to conduct electricity. We dont give two hoots about that! So all oxidization will do is sour the flavor a touch and prematurly age the wick. However it is a good idea to clean it before first use.

I also install a second screen in my stem cause it accelerates the acumulation of vapor residue (wand hash) to the point that I can vape a screen of hash every couple days if I use the same vape the 4 or 6 times a day I vape.

Always nice! B-)

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I switched back to using my Filter Flask with w/ my GTV prototype as the strain I have needs higher roasting temperatures. The vapor was a little harsh even after being filtered through water. The FF has a 10mm mouthpiece tube on the end of the silicone tube so I just replaced it with a 10mm glass tube containing a cotton filter. The harshness went away. The cotton filter made all the difference. I continued to use the filter for a while until the air was totally restricted and I had to replace it. The strange thing is that the cotton had hardly turned golden color like it normally does when it is closer to the screen. I didn't think there was anything in the cotton, but it kept giving hit after hit when roasted. The cotton wasn't all dark brown after roasting like it normally would be.
Will have to do some more experimenting.

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Only because it will degrade it. The ecig fellas need to oxidize to prevent hot spots. Keep in mind that they wrap kanthal wire around it as an atomizer. So they dont want the wick to conduct electricity. We dont give two hoots about that! So all oxidization will do is sour the flavor a touch and prematurly age the wick. However it is a good idea to clean it before first use.

I also install a second screen in my stem cause it accelerates the acumulation of vapor residue (wand hash) to the point that I can vape a screen of hash every couple days if I use the same vape the 4 or 6 times a day I vape.

Always nice! B-)
any pics of your SS wick, this sounds amazing thank you!!!!

BLAZING OG,

farscaper

I will take some. I have a couple variations that work well. I have been inserting my wick into the mouth piece to keep particles out,of my mouth and/or water piece.

Neat thing is it acts like a wand hash sponge. Just push it out with a stick when clogged, plop it in the bowl and vape that again! I vape my screen every other to eveey 3 days. Basically getting a free hash buzz that often and my mouthpiece remains spick n span.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Wow, love this thread. I've been using wick in either my wong with my Hi or in the solo. I actually entwine my wick strips with weed. I love doing this when I have an old cart that needs to be replaced. The remaining wick with some fresh flowers fuck's me up good every time.

farscaper

Dude u could basically just twist up a bit and dunk it in molton oil. Then ur ready to go regardless of the vape you choose. Im actually a lil suprised it not more common than the use of cotton. But I guess that stent of fiddling with rebuildable ecig junk paid off a little ehy?

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Dude, I feel like a douche but I have to say I do not know what that is... :disgust:

idiot_zps1b30db8e.jpg

farscaper

Re Buildable Atomizer. my buddy had a phenix that he would smear bho on the ss wick. Then vape it with his vamo ecig. LoL I was just trying to sound cool using ecig lingo

farscaper,
Reactions: mvapes

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
I will take some. I have a couple variations that work well. I have been inserting my wick into the mouth piece to keep particles out,of my mouth and/or water piece.

Neat thing is it acts like a wand hash sponge. Just push it out with a stick when clogged, plop it in the bowl and vape that again! I vape my screen every other to eveey 3 days. Basically getting a free hash buzz that often and my mouthpiece remains spick n span.
your the man!!!!!!:rockon:

BLAZING OG,
Reactions: mvapes

farscaper

Apologies if this becomes incoherent. I took the pictures earlier... oh and i just vaped.
I will start off with the least restrictive screen. this is more for those that are trying to prevent particulates from passing through the mouthpiece more than it is for those looking for a wick to vape oil off (that will some shortly):brow:. Keep in mind that the accumulation of particulates on the filter is accelerated by being closer to the "bowl" and is decreased by moving it closer to the "mouthpiece". This one note has been consistent regardless of what the "filter" is made of be it cotton or stainless steel screen.

Basically this is just a standard pipe screen that has been carefully domed and turned into a hollow ball. I did not close this one ans that allows air to pass into the center of the ball, but the hole that is left is rather small as compared to the surface area of screen around it, then I flattened it slightly making more of a disc. This set up makes for in my opinion, the best "filter". especially after a vape session or two and it gets seasoned. I realize that i should have taken a picture of the used screen clean, but your an imaginative bunch and I included a kinda "how to" picture illustrating it... you can figure it out :science:

Excuse the dirty silicone. i need to replace.
1A002_zps693a0a82.jpg

The end that "I" put towards my mouth or the "exit" end of tube:
1A009_zps615546e0.jpg

End towards the "Bowl" end, as you can see it is much dirtier:
1A008_zps8f995e9e.jpg

Continuing on to something a little more concentrate ready,

Below you can the three variations of screens or wicks or whatever we wanna refer to them as. the one in the middle is an errly :rofl: variation so keep in mind its just there to show the thought process... or something. Never the less its flaw was that i folded it over too many times and it didn't release the oil as much as it absorbed it. the one on the left simply wont hold any concentrate unless it is "primed" so it really fails in this category too. which leads us to the right side. It is about the best way to make a concentrate wick. It is a little to restrictive to work as a filter in the mouthpiece, but that exact fact is what helps it as a concentrate vape wick. it allows the screen to retain the heat as you pull through it and causes the vape.
1A007_zpsb9cb1e99.jpg

So, the how too. See the difference between regular pipe screen and high wire count SS screen? this one on the left is a 325 mesh i think. It verges on metal textile so its very pliable. This wick im making was constructed from mesh that i wadded up and crushed with pliers and stuffed in a gong joint to make a DIY vapor genie (yea it works BTW :science:) you can see in later pic the oxidization on the screen (color change) and yes that kinda fowls the taste a bit :2c: :puke: <---- exaggeration

:wave: Moving on people, this is the size compare:
1A001_zps79d6d6ca.jpg

So we take a mans finger length piece of screen (very precise measurements:freak:) because this is a variable that will differ from vape to vape bowl to bowl.
1A003_zpsa83930d0.jpg

Then fold it in half. I found that if you run it across an edge, much like the edge of a table, it will literally coil itself for you. all you have to do is tighten it up.

1A004_zps6e82d24e.jpg

1A005_zps5f4dbc8d.jpg

1A010_zpsc5c78a62.jpg

Finally i put it in place as a filter, but as stated before, not so good. its just to restrictive, but if u drop a blob of ur choice concentrate in the bowl. melts right in, vapes off. your session is dictated by the amount of oil u load and how big your wick is. Note that this will open up while its still virgin and un primed. after some use it will retain some shape, but i think for the most effective wick set up you need to have it fit in the bowl fairly tightly. but that is something you must figure out for your setup.

Hey, I actually followed through on my picture promise :tup:

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Did I make er count? Hell yea daddy-o

Edit: I just realized thats basically a stainless steel health stone. Balls!
Apologies if this becomes incoherent. I took the pictures earlier... oh and i just vaped.
I will start off with the least restrictive screen. this is more for those that are trying to prevent particulates from passing through the mouthpiece more than it is for those looking for a wick to vape oil off (that will some shortly):brow:. Keep in mind that the accumulation of particulates on the filter is accelerated by being closer to the "bowl" and is decreased by moving it closer to the "mouthpiece". This one note has been consistent regardless of what the "filter" is made of be it cotton or stainless steel screen.

Basically this is just a standard pipe screen that has been carefully domed and turned into a hollow ball. I did not close this one ans that allows air to pass into the center of the ball, but the hole that is left is rather small as compared to the surface area of screen around it, then I flattened it slightly making more of a disc. This set up makes for in my opinion, the best "filter". especially after a vape session or two and it gets seasoned. I realize that i should have taken a picture of the used screen clean, but your an imaginative bunch and I included a kinda "how to" picture illustrating it... you can figure it out :science:

Excuse the dirty silicone. i need to replace.
1A002_zps693a0a82.jpg

The end that "I" put towards my mouth or the "exit" end of tube:
1A009_zps615546e0.jpg

End towards the "Bowl" end, as you can see it is much dirtier:
1A008_zps8f995e9e.jpg

Continuing on to something a little more concentrate ready,

Below you can the three variations of screens or wicks or whatever we wanna refer to them as. the one in the middle is an errly :rofl: variation so keep in mind its just there to show the thought process... or something. Never the less its flaw was that i folded it over too many times and it didn't release the oil as much as it absorbed it. the one on the left simply wont hold any concentrate unless it is "primed" so it really fails in this category too. which leads us to the right side. It is about the best way to make a concentrate wick. It is a little to restrictive to work as a filter in the mouthpiece, but that exact fact is what helps it as a concentrate vape wick. it allows the screen to retain the heat as you pull through it and causes the vape.
1A007_zpsb9cb1e99.jpg

So, the how too. See the difference between regular pipe screen and high wire count SS screen? this one on the left is a 325 mesh i think. It verges on metal textile so its very pliable. This wick im making was constructed from mesh that i wadded up and crushed with pliers and stuffed in a gong joint to make a DIY vapor genie (yea it works BTW :science:) you can see in later pic the oxidization on the screen (color change) and yes that kinda fowls the taste a bit :2c: :puke: <---- exaggeration

:wave: Moving on people, this is the size compare:
1A001_zps79d6d6ca.jpg

So we take a mans finger length piece of screen (very precise measurements:freak:) because this is a variable that will differ from vape to vape bowl to bowl.
1A003_zpsa83930d0.jpg

Then fold it in half. I found that if you run it across an edge, much like the edge of a table, it will literally coil itself for you. all you have to do is tighten it up.

1A004_zps6e82d24e.jpg

1A005_zps5f4dbc8d.jpg

1A010_zpsc5c78a62.jpg

Finally i put it in place as a filter, but as stated before, not so good. its just to restrictive, but if u drop a blob of ur choice concentrate in the bowl. melts right in, vapes off. your session is dictated by the amount of oil u load and how big your wick is. Note that this will open up while its still virgin and un primed. after some use it will retain some shape, but i think for the most effective wick set up you need to have it fit in the bowl fairly tightly. but that is something you must figure out for your setup.

Hey, I actually followed through on my picture promise :tup:
WOW, Thank you, You really outdid yourself!!!!!!:clap::rockon::bowdown:

Very cool, ordering some SS mesh screen, and following step by step!!!!

Thanks a Million:bigleaf:

BLAZING OG,
Reactions: farscaper

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have found a method for loading the cotton filter into the mouthpiece tube that makes a big difference and allows for very good air flow. Start with a piece of fluffy cotton about 2 or 3 inches long and fold it in half. Insert the cotton into the glass tube by pushing on the fold part of the cotton with a rounded or flat end tool so that the cotton is pulled from the front rather than being pushed from behind. This will allow the cotton filter to remain open and not add much drag. It helps if the glass has a bit of oil on it to hold the cotton fibers.
The tube on the right was the mouthpiece for my filter flask so the vapor had already been filtered through water. That is why there is no dark particulate mater on top. Just very potent honey.
My lungs have been so much happier since I started using a cotton filter. Always a smooth hit.
The large surface area of the cotton allows it to create massive clouds from the oil when roasted. Only tiny oil particles are formed, so it is very smooth.

cottonfilter.jpg

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Alan did you load that tube on the right or is that buildup?

Yum

The tube on the right is from buildup. I let it go way to long as I wanted to show the contrast. It was difficult to roast as I couldn't get good air flow through all the oil. It just dripped pure oil into the mouthpiece tube until the cotton would allow enough air though it for roasting. Every other day or so the cotton filter should be replaced / roasted. It will depend upon the strain being roasted. I also filter the roasted cotton through a cotton filter.

Top Bottom