Discontinued VapeXhale Cloud

vape4life

Banned for life
Does anyone else's cloud have a kind of burning smell to it when you get up close? I've noticed this on my unit for at least a month and never really paid attention before. I have a ticking model with flared bamboo that slides a little up and down. After 5 months of use I pushed the bamboo from the bottom up and noticed a really dark brown ring that looked like rust on both the inside and outside. I think it is just residue that hardened and built up over time. I spent an hour carefully cleaning with qtips dipped in Iso and using some scraping tools. I got it nearly perfect but it still smells. It kind of is similar to a curling iron. When I pulled the bamboo up I could see more clearly inside the Cloud and the white wrapping around the bamboo is turned black in one spot as if it were burned. Do other people have clouds with a slight curling iron burn smell to it? I don't want to be breathing in burning material if that is what is happening to me.

I know exactly what you are talking about. IMO it's the white insulation, i've seen this on 2 ticking Clouds, and could clearly see the insulation turned brown/dark. I did not have this smell on 2 non ticking Clouds, but the insulation looked different.

I honestly miss that smell...it was kind of a burning smell, but with sweet added to it. Wasn't offensive at all, but I was pretty sure it was due to using the higher temps for too long.

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The solution is where the smell emanates from. Its obvious to me that the smell drifts up from the bamboo center, on the convection current, and does NOT come from the surround. I have never seen pictures of this "burnt" insulation and can find ZERO evidence of this on my Cloud fwiw . . .

vape4life

Banned for life
Not the insulation IN the Cloud, but rather just surrounding the bamboo right at the top. I always thought it was normal, and it definitely wasn't black.

But I do agree and know what you are talking about....the black ABV dust inside the bamboo.

vape4life,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I know exactly what you are talking about. IMO it's the white insulation, i've seen this on 2 ticking Clouds, and could clearly see the insulation turned brown/dark. I did not have this smell on 2 non ticking Clouds, but the insulation looked different. I honestly miss that smell...it was kind of a burning smell, but with sweet added to it. Wasn't offensive at all, but I was pretty sure it was due to using the higher temps for too long.
Not the insulation IN the Cloud, but rather just surrounding the bamboo right at the top. I always thought it was normal, and it definitely wasn't black.But I do agree and know what you are talking about....the black ABV dust inside the bamboo.
You better pick a story and stick to it . . . which is it? The smell comes from the bamboo, not the surround, period ime . . . end of story.

t-dub,

vape4life

Banned for life
Woah, easy now... it could be either.... i've smelled both, the black ABV dust in the actual bamboo, and the insulation. Look i'm just trying to add my anecdotal experience here, so I guess i'll just shut up now. Honestly really only trying to help, take it as you will.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Woah, easy now... it could be either.... i've smelled both, the black ABV dust in the actual bamboo, and the insulation. Look i'm just trying to add my anecdotal experience here, so I guess i'll just shut up now. Honestly really only trying to help, take it as you will.
So, you are telling me, that you put your nostril up to the Cloud and sniffed, reeeaaaaal hard, for a loooong time, months same unit, like I have, though several cleanings, so we are not talking about smells from multiple new units like you have had, and you are POSITIVE the smell came from the surround? If so, I apologize for belittling your experience, but all I "smell" here is a rat . . . :peace:

modnote: please abide the 'be nice' rule

t-dub,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
So, you are telling me, that you put your nostril up to the Cloud and sniffed, reeeaaaaal hard, for a loooong time, months same unit, like I have, though several cleanings, so we are not talking about new smell, and your are POSITIVE the smell came from the surround? If so, I apologize for belittling your experience, but all I "smell" here is a rat . . . :peace:
Looks to me like he's saying he smells something, coming from the cloud, and his theory is the insulation...
You're asking for a far more definitive statement than I've read on the matter :shrug:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Looks to me like he's saying he smells something, coming from the cloud, and his theory is the insulation... You're asking for a far more definitive statement than I've read on the matter :shrug:
Frederick, smell from surround insulation, imo, is a serious charge and should not be leveled without a little more evidence than what has been offered so far. They offered NO tests of smells one way or the other, indicating they did NO science. I realize "my nose/BS meter" isn't a scientific instrument, but I use it, a lot.

t-dub,

John Lewus

Ok I have let my cloud run hot for 5 hours and the smell is mostly gone. It now smells more like heated teflon if that makes any sense. I am trying to post pics but it is hard to reach down to my keyboard from up here in the clouds. I've got a few more but here are some. You can see some baked on residue. The way I had to clean it was slide the bamboo up and down and rub with iso hard.

Pics some flash some no flash. I need to go to bed soon.

UPDATE: OK second time to try updating. I realize now my original post might be controversial without some more details. I took time to get macros with flash and without centered metered.

Left pics flash no flash - You can see the browning of white insulation start.

P1020971.jpg

P1020970.jpg

Center Pic flash no flash - There is a nice little black chunk among the browned insulation

P1020973.jpg

P1020972.jpg

Right pic flash no flash - This shows the scope of the browning relative to the cloud.

P1020976.jpg

P1020975.jpg

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Ok I have let my cloud run hot for 5 hours and the smell is mostly gone. . . Pics some flash some no flash. I need to go to bed soon. . . . .

In the interest of this discussion I "pushed" my bamboo up that high, higher than its ever been, my insulation is perfect, and again, any smell from it would emanate from outside the bamboo :peace:

Edit: IMHO, that discoloration probably occurred during your "aggressive" ISO cleaning of the resin "ring" you accumulated during your "careful" use of the Cloud . . . Chunks?!? Really?!? if there is a smell from something you LET leak down into the housing, thats on you.
There is a nice little black chunk among the browned insulation

t-dub,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
My cloud is way more crispy then his on the inside insulation. Mine is completely cooked!
Once again, on the user I think, jmho, I have ran my "hot clicker" for as long as you want with no discoloration of the insulation. There is NO proof that you or they didn't let something get in there during use. You want to create a claim in this thread for improper insulation materials, I WISH YOU LUCK :peace:

t-dub,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hey guys ... can't we just cool it a little ... can't we all be friends? :) I'm certain those that have the "browned" insulation don't know of anything that's gotten down in there ... are you maybe suggesting that some condensation from the HT can drip down there and cause the browning? Or just dust from the environment? I know I'm super OCD about cleaning my vapes and stuff, but I'm pretty sure I noticed this issue as well (on the one that I sent back for warranty).

I'm NOT saying there isn't some explanation apart from materials ... but if it's user error than it would still be nice to get to the bottom of what that user error is so that steps can be taken for future users to avoid it (as it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident).

Anyways ... just a little friendly discussion ... I don't think vape4life nor elmomuzz are saying that it's necessarily just materials ... they are just hypothesizing as to possible reasons why the insulation is browned (the pictures prove that some do get cooked a little). If you have a hypothesis t-dub ... let's hear it as it can only help.

Lately everyone seems to be getting agitated over little things ... (sometimes the agitation is warranted ... but it shouldn't be the norm ...) .... anyways ... just wanted to speak my peace.

I'm huge supporter of VXL and the Cloud (I own 2 and just sent one in for repair, gladly paying the $150 fee + shipping), and think their products are good value and only getting better; however, their products aren't perfect and flaws/issues (whether isolated or not) do warrant discussion.

Just my 2 cents (... now I'm covering my head before I get pummeled probably by both camps :lol:)

treeman

I don't think anyone's suggesting that there is improper insulation materials, I think it's just that when t-dub said he noticed a smell others suggested that it could be the insulation as they had noticed some discoloration with their insulation. It would seem that in the case of t-dub's cloud the smell was caused by particles in the bamboo but I see how elmomuzz's and V4l's suggestions could have been helpful. After all, if its discoloring it could be off-gassing. It's kind of irrelevant as its completely separate from the vapor path and it wouldn't bother me but they were just trying to be helpful. . .

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
If you have a hypothesis t-dub ... let's hear it as it can only help.
You cant prove a negative. My insulation is pristine. If you want "proof" you are going to have to take a new Cloud and "test" it. Otherwise it is speculation and, IMHO, smearing the product, because you simply do not KNOW if you are correct.

No wonder the manufactures are leaving here. Between whining crap like this and endless demands for videos and ship dates, I wouldn't be here either . . .
however, their products aren't perfect and flaws/issues (whether isolated or not) do warrant discussion.
Discussion, yes absolutely, thats what we are doing. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

t-dub,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
a lot of this is semantics. t-dub has a scientific view of things and is going to be very matter of fact with less tolerance for unproved hypotheses. if the insulation discoloring is a concern then please open up a ticket and let us know how it gets resolved.

ludwig...no vids from me, but there's nothing to see, really. It's a glass tube. The only thing to see would be the exhale, which will look the same as an HT exhale. The dry tube tastes stronger and cools the vapor enough for me to use it whenever I feel like it without issue. I simply prefer the water filtration, although the fine screen of the ELB's is probably why my throat doesn't get irritated with the dry tube.

stickstones,
Reactions: harmudge

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I could care less that my insulation is burnt and brown. My cloud works great. But it is a 100% certainty that it gets hot enough on the joint of MY unit that its cooking the fiberglass. I've never noticed a smell and I'm not concerned.

elmomuzz,
Reactions: JCat

vape4life

Banned for life
So, you are telling me, that you put your nostril up to the Cloud and sniffed, reeeaaaaal hard, for a loooong time, months same unit, like I have, though several cleanings, so we are not talking about smells from multiple new units like you have had, and you are POSITIVE the smell came from the surround? If so, I apologize for belittling your experience, but all I "smell" here is a rat . . . :peace:

You have such a nice way with words, but I really don't appreciate being called a rat, it's not very nice. I did say "IMO" and i'm not "smearing" VXL whatsoever....I will be buying another Cloud in the future. Look, all i'm stating are my observations, i'm not trying to prove anything. And all I said dude was that the smell could be black ABV dust in the bamboo which i've experienced on two brand new non ticking Clouds. BOTH those Clouds DID NOT have that sweet insulation smell whatsoever, but rather that slight burning smell which was caused by the ABV. Clean the ABV, smell gone.

The other smell i've observed on 2 older ticking Clouds I think came from the insulation because of the darkening as John Lewis was nice enough to post (thank you).

That's it, no accusations, no slamming VXL, no videos, no asking for shipping, yadda yadda. Thanks to JCat and guys above for your support. Not sure WTF happened there, sounds like a big deal out of nothing?

Obviously everyone uses their Clouds differently...someone all day everyday, some for 30 mins and done for the day. I used mine alot, at high temps, which is why I think that starts to happen to the insulation. I also noticed on the 4 Clouds that each insulation that could be seen was slightly different, some insulation could be seen sticking out, some not. I've even had "white fibers" coming out of the crack between the steel at the top, which I just trimmed off.

Enjoy your the Clouds T-Dub! :horse:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Look, all i'm stating are my observations, i'm not trying to prove anything.
Of course not, if you were there would be proof of unadulterated "caramelized" insulation and definite smells outside of the bamboo. Something I have yet to observe with my unit.

t-dub,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
So you are accusing me of lying?
No, I am saying that "chunks" don't belong where they were observed which raises a "red flag" to me that something "found" its way down there, on this and probably many other occasions as well. Why is my Cloud so clean and all of yours not? Until you "prove" otherwise, why come in here and place unfounded concerns in people's minds?

t-dub,
Top Bottom