1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

If the performance is good and your getting reasonable battery life, I'd stay status quo.
    There are things to try/check to maybe give a little boost. Clean the battery contacts and check/reseat the main bullet connectors. Also, check the kill switch blade connectors for good bite. Anything a little loose along the main current drive path can cause voltage sag or contribute to it.
    I really don't think you have any major problems at this point unless your noticing a performance issue.

GreenHopper likes this.
  2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Pipes, I feel I'm getting good performance as I've only had to charge the unit a handful of times at most in the past 10 months. I will check the things you suggest. Thank you.

GreenHopper likes this.
  3. Hippie

Hippie Well-Known Member

I meant to ask when I saw the new skelly battery connections ...
    Do the new skellys need to be under load to test the battery power in either battery configuration?

I'm using HG2s in my Skelly which I think has the same circuitry as the Portside
    All the LEDs light up on full charge with no load. Under load it lights up 2 blues and the red.

@Pipes did say something about the chargers trickle charging the last 20% or so. I wonder if that's something to do with what you're experiencing.

Summer likes this.
  4. Pipes

Yes, any battery measurements of any battery should have load to get an idea of the charge. It's really up to the load to determine the voltage drop and will be different pending what that load is. For example, if you insert a non metal stick into the hole to activate, it will be a much lesser load of around 1-2 amps, compared to dipping a VC and having a 5 amp load.
    I think the bottom line is this is a gauge for giving charge information and gives the user reassurance of charge. The user will adjust on how to determine it's readings as there are variables involved such as battery rating/condition and VC type a well.
    As for trickle charging towards the upper charge, I'm not sure how this charger handles it. There will be a natural current drop off as it gets close to it's set max but not sure on just how smart these "smart" chargers actually are. Sounds like an experiment is in order. :science: Will check it out next week sometime and report back.
    Good questions guys!

Roth, Hogni and Summer like this.
  5. WAM90

WAM90 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if someone can help me out.. I just attempted to build an IH, based on this guide: https://imgur.com/a/pzRe3SV

I know it's hard to see from the videos/photo, but I'm wondering if anyone can see/think of an obvious reason why this setup isn't working for me (no heat). I've read the entire thread and many guides, and I'm completely stumped. I've checked all of my solder points and they all seem clean enough.

As you can see from the two videos, half the time when I click the momentary switch to heat the VC, the lights on the IH unit and FET board turn on solid, and then the other half of the time the lights flash in unison. Neither times heat the VC. What's weird is when I almost had everything wired up permanently, I tried it a few times and it heated the cap, but only 1 out of 3 tries. Now I haven't been able to get it to heat the cap at all.

My power supply is putting out 12V and 3A, so on the lower end, could that be it? I'm getting no heat at all though.

Image:
    [​IMG]

Solid Lights:
    Click to play YouTube Video

Flashing Lights:
    Click to play YouTube Video

6. Pipes

I think you have two things happening here.
    1/ When light stays on, the circuit is not going into oscillation. Had gone through this and only solution is to change the FETs. In this misfired state, the current draw is about 1 amp.
    2/ When your getting a flashing light, this is the unit trying to oscillate but your power supply is cutting out. You need at least 5 amps available and even then, some supplies will not take the initial surge and go into protect state as well. Causing the flashing light. You should find the LED on the supply flashing in sync.
    So, you should first beef up the supply to get it somewhat working and change the FETs to get it to 100%.
    Good luck! :science:

7. WAM90

WAM90 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the helpful reply and all of the work you've done.
    I'll try a different power supply tomorrow.

To be clear, would I need to change out the entire FET board? Or can the little squares (fets?) be removed and switched out?

Edit: Also, is there something I did that would have caused damage to the FETS? Too much or not enough power? Or are they just luck of the draw?

8. Pipes

Your quite welcome.
    Found almost all the FETs suck since last fall. Ever since they had the reversed diode fiasco. Nov/Dec vintage..?
    The procedure was discussed a page or 3 back complete with alternative FETs to use. You need a nice pointy soldering tip for the task.

polykoma, Summer and WAM90 like this.
  9. WAM90

WAM90 Well-Known Member

To update... I zombified an old XBOX 360 power supply as suggested by someone on Reddit and I've finally got it working! The lights on the heater and FET board are still glowing solid, and its taking about 8-10 seconds before i get a click, but it is working and damn does it feel good. Gonna load a bowl right now, thanks all!

Pipes, Hogni, polykoma and 2 others like this.
  10. wilky

wilky Active Member

can i use ps mini while charging many thanks

asdf420 likes this.
  11. Pipes

absolutely!

asdf420, Squiby and wilky like this.
  12. wilky

wilky Active Member

many thanks keep up the good work

13. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Pipes, can the PS be used while charging? Thanks!

14. Pipes

Sure can! Of course if batteries are completely drained, will have to give it 5 minutes to get the charge out of the basement, and after that, use away. :D

polykoma, asdf420, Skunkport and 2 others like this.
  15. asdf420

asdf420 Well-Known Member

wow i had a wrong assumption, thanks

16. Megaton

Megaton Well-Known Member

Bought all the parts i think i need to build an IH. Coming from all over the world, so i imagine i will be ready to start building in the next month or so :lol:

Pipes, asdf420 and beyond6strings like this.
  17. wkndwarrior

wkndwarrior Active Member

Nice, i feel like the lighter is the thing I dont like bout vapcaps. I don't use it very much but when I have the torch just feels like a crack pipe (especially if you ever say offer to a friend). These solutions seem a lot more elegant.

Pipes likes this.
  18. namasteIII

namasteIII Well-Known Member

Joined the gang today. Thanks Pipes, this things pretty cool. I'm being a bit to timid with the heat, more practice and I think I can get some power out of this thing.

Definitely not a VapCap need, but a super handy other way to use it.

Fat Freddy, Squiby and Sketch420 like this.
  19. Megaton

Has anyone attempted to fit an IH in a Hammond enclosure?

20. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy FUCK CANCER TOO !

Yep, I have to say the PS Mini has opened up whole new horizons for my appreciation of the VC!

RUDE BOY, DeeCee5, Pipes and 2 others like this.
  21. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

X2
    without my PS Mini, my Vapcaps were a pain in the ass where I wanted to love them/ expected to love them/ anticipated I'd love them but torching the VCs never worked out at all.

The PS mini is bringin' on the VC love!

Pipes and Fat Freddy like this.
  22. Lazy Lighting

Lazy Lighting Well-Known Member

Agreed. The PS mini is a game changer. Have not used a torch since I got it. Creates a more laid back experience. Perfect for the porch.

Pipes, Fat Freddy and MinnBobber like this.
  23. rz

rz Well-Known Member

These? With batteries, capacitor, induction coil + PCB.. the smaller ones are too tight inside, bigger ones.. too big?(but would work). something exactly between 1455C801 and 1455K1201 would be perfect but the ones inbetween don't work specially with that internal screw mounting rail. 100x60x30 internal would be about right to "SQUEEZE" something into probably not with 18650's though.. but sure,

Pipes likes this.
  24. Megaton

Those are the guys @rz! Though it was more the classic guitar pedal type of enclosure i had in mind, one of the bigger ones as opposed to the classic small single pedal type.

Also, was planning to go with mains power rather than batteries, it could even run on the same power supply as the rest of my pedal board!

25. slanteyez

slanteyez New Member

Hey guys!

My new PS Mini is on the way to my house as we speak. I noticed there are two different versions. I am wondering which is the final version that I will be getting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RUDE BOY and Summer like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors