VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

nachooo

Hi all, this is my first post here, I came from rollitup forum, I am an old grower from Spain and I have built a dynavap induction heater trying to do it cheap and very portable, it can be drived by external power or a lipo battery inside...All is a little compressed inside..but it works nicely...next improvement..will be a little window in the plastic case with a battery level indicator and the posiblility to charge the lipo without open the device.. Thanks to all people in this fórum, specially Pipes for the inspiration...Best is that I can carry it in my pocket.. I own a xvape fog and a flowermate hybrid..but dynavap is my preferred vape device, hope you like it.

9tlg5c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nachooo

Pretty neat. Any pics of the inside?
Well..this is a guetto inductor portable.... And with a 3s 20C 800ma cheap lipo battery… wich in fact only allows to process about 10 "charges" (about 40 switches) this is not bad..but I am am a heavy user...next one Will be a 2200 ma lipo … The problem with this zvs inductor is the size… and the need of a big battery…
Sorry about the dirty design...but it does the job and can be keep in a pocket...only about 10 vapcap dosis,,,
when is used with the lipo battery.
15mgwht.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I just got my portside mini!

Loving it! I am finding the sweetspot is "click" plus 4-5 seconds [from a cold start].
THANK YOU!

A few questions:

How many cycles can one theoretically get from a full charge?

What is the little metal square next to the battery monitor indicator?

Last edited:

nachooo

Nice
How much did this cost you to make?
I like the size and portability
Any plans for ppl to follow to make their own?
Or do you intend to make more that people could buy?
Good work
It is a very cheap project..
About 8 $ the zvs induction unit. and a 10 $ lipo battery plus the little glass tube about 3 $..so about 21$
The other parts like the switch. connectors etc...I found them at home from other projects ..cost almost nothing . External 12v 10 amp power unit cost about 15$ in amazon and the lipo charger about 10 $..but I had this things previously at home too....
Its only a personal Project just for fun ...It cant be sell at this point….It would need some safety measures and a much better finished aspect :)
The funny thing is that the plastic case is made of an old little bottle of Dyna-gro nutes….so Dyna-gro and Dynavap together..

Whissmu

I just got my portside mini!

Loving it! I am finding the sweetspot is "click" plus 4-5 seconds [from a cold start].
THANK YOU!

A few questions:

How many cycles can one theoretically get from a full charge?

What is the little metal square next to the battery monitor indicator?

I also received mine days ago :clap: .. it's incredible ... the master @Pipes somehow hit the bull's eye with my birthday (July 4) and that day I notice that my Portside Mini was ready for me:tup:! I received it in a few days and I'm still on the honeymoon with him:love:

----How many cycles can one theoretically get from a full charge?&
I count 99 clicks to ruin my battery, but I suspect that you can get more cycles with a new / different battery ... my battery drops in half-load, as with old RC helicopter electric pilot(that one day I went) I can summarize that having many batteries this type (also called lipos) there will always be 3 groups; those that stand out for durability, the normal ones and others that barely stand their load ... I suspect that my battery is normal .. pity not to have my old chargers to check the status of the cells of the battery:bang:...

----What is the little metal square next to the battery monitor indicator?
is a magnet to rest your vapcap

@Pipes thanks for making this great device possible :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:, I will show some pictures soon of my inducing happiness :science::leaf::worms: !!

Newcastle

Stoned!
@Whissmu yes its a magnet to rest and help cool down the click.

@FlyingLow I compare it to my triple torch. I haven't counted sessions but I feel like I recharge as much as I was adding butane. Maybe once a day....heavy user and two of us using it in the evening.

Newcastle,
Reactions: Pipes

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am having trouble dialing in the same kill in one hit with perfect color ABV that I can deliver with Butane, but I imagine that will dial in with experience.

I do love the simplicity. The quietness. No clicking lighter, no hissing butane. Peaceful and more convenient than I anticipated.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Mine is the Jarhead so is just for home use (plugged in) but it is incredibly convenient to use rather than the torch. Having used VCs for a couple years now I can manage the torch just fine, but it is certainly nice not to have to.

So I find the Ti tipped VCs take about 5 sec for the first click, but my M18 tip (on the glass wand) takes about 8 sec. Is that typical for SS tips?

Whissmu

Vapcap has many positive :) but also has negative ones :\... and one of them is that you need both hands to be able to use it :goon:!

thanks to @Pipes -> I can have a free hand to enjoy hugging of my beloved ……………..... to browse my favorite forum (FC) ...……………............ caressing my puppy ......…………………....... to use my tools ...…………..……............ to drink my favorite cup ...............…………

image.jpg

...........………...……….…................................................ wax to my board ...…………………........ read a good book ...……………….…...... use my phone ...…………......to made zapping ...……………......... or simply use it as a pillow!

image.jpg

Thanks again @Pipes for freeing my hand for when the occasion requires it :rockon::rockon::rockon: !!

Last edited:

frankbhelger

What is the smallest lipo pack you guys have had success with? I'm looking at the turnigy 370mah 25-40c. That comes out to about 9.25 amps minimum right?

I may have missed it but how many clicks are you getting with the 800mah packs?

frankbhelger,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
I do love the simplicity. The quietness. No clicking lighter, no hissing butane. Peaceful and more convenient than I anticipated.

...i can't freaking WAIT for my PSM!!!! It'll still be a while since i just jumped on the wait list a couple weeks ago...

So I find the Ti tipped VCs take about 5 sec for the first click, but my M18 tip (on the glass wand) takes about 8 sec. Is that typical for SS tips?

...i found with a torch the ti tip heated quicker than my 'M'...

just_the_flu,
Reactions: cybrguy

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
What is the smallest lipo pack you guys have had success with? I'm looking at the turnigy 370mah 25-40c. That comes out to about 9.25 amps minimum right?

I may have missed it but how many clicks are you getting with the 800mah packs?
IMO, 370 mHas is too low, but would work for, guestimating, around 4-5 bowls. With the 800 mHa, I get between 10-12 full bowls. Pending how many times I milk it.
I believe a chap earlier quoted 99 times to the click. This is more than I'd expect but would depend on bowl size and quickness before reheat. It's hard to nail down a solid number and I look at it has a good night out without worry. At 370 mAh, you might be left on empty too soon.

frankbhelger

Thanks pipes, I think I am going to give it a shot and at least setup a bench setup and see how it does.

Are there any drawbacks to moving the inductors to lower the height of the board? I know someone was building a scratch induction heater. Did anything ever come of that?

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Thanks pipes, I think I am going to give it a shot and at least setup a bench setup and see how it does.

Are there any drawbacks to moving the inductors to lower the height of the board? I know someone was building a scratch induction heater. Did anything ever come of that?
That is @rz.
I don't thinkv he's shelved the project, but he's got a recent addition to his family which I imagine has occupied LOTS of his time.
This is the thread:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-auto-magic-super-rztoaster-or-something-like-that.24154/

I hope the rztoaster is still on the cards eventually @rz?

I've joined the mini wait list in the meantime, this volume of great feedback couldn't be ignored any longer, and I've had great previous experience with Pipes, so it's definitely a no-brainer :freak:

I'm perfectly happy with torches, but so many have said that and then gone on to :bowdown: induction heating that I have to go for it!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm perfectly happy with torches, but so many have said that and then gone on to :bowdown: induction heating that I have to go for it!
This! I have no problem with torches and even enjoy using them with the VCs when out. However, the ziplessness of using the IH at home is a game changer. I often just skip the big boys and VC to the stars...

nachooo

IMO, 370 mHas is too low, but would work for, guestimating, around 4-5 bowls. With the 800 mHa, I get between 10-12 full bowls. Pending how many times I milk it.
I believe a chap earlier quoted 99 times to the click. This is more than I'd expect but would depend on bowl size and quickness before reheat. It's hard to nail down a solid number and I look at it has a good night out without worry. At 370 mAh, you might be left on empty too soon.
Yes...370 ma is nothing...even 800 is too little for heavy users like me..only 10 bowls for me...I have been thinking that my next model will have at least a 2200 ma lipo battery… there are also lipo batteries designed for airsoft wich are longer but thinner...Other ones are made with Graphene and seem to be very nice but the prizes go high… Also some batteries weigh more tan others..and thats important cause lipo batts weigh a lot...

nachooo,

Summer

Long Island, NY
You know @nachooo, don't know if you're building your own or not, but your would have loved @Pipe's now-discontinued Portside IH. You know Pipes, I really don't know why you dc'd the PS. I fully understand why the Mini is extremely popular, but there are those like nachooo for whom the PS is a better choice. I don't know why you can't do a batch or two every year for those people. They just have to be aware that there'll be have an extended wait time until any commitment from you as to a delivery time frame. Then, if they're willing to wait, why not produce it? You can check in with them when you decide to make a batch & see who remains interested & you can build the # of units accordingly.

Just my unsolicited :2c: Pipes. :D

Summer,
Reactions: Hogni

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
It boils down to how much time I have to put these together. Trying to do too much just slows everything down and raises the wait times for the PSM and Jarheads.
Discontinuing the PS and Skelly has increased my PSM output by quite a bit. Not to mention, gives me a some more time to relax a little this summer. :haw:
Introducing the Bare Bones components should be the route for perks in need for a bigger 3S Lipo to take. Tons of options there.:science:

Summer

Long Island, NY
I understand @Pipes -- but you're assuming that everyone is capable of building a bare bones system. I never welded anything in my life, no nothing about circuitry (can only install a computer board) nor understand anything more that the very basics about electricity (dangers, knowing storm home grid safety, how to turn a light switch on.:p, how to reset a circuit on the breaker board). And building an IH is too intricate for me. I don't want to struggle through the angst of each step. I'm sure there's many like me. Well, maybe one day the minis will slow up & maybe you'll consider doing a repromote. Never say never. ;)

But fully understand you wanting to enjoy the summer. I can't believe there's only 6 weeks left until Labor Day, & if those of us in the Northeast are blessed, we'll have lovely weather through Thanksgiving.

nachooo

You know @nachooo, don't know if you're building your own or not, but your would have loved @Pipe's now-discontinued Portside IH. You know Pipes, I really don't know why you dc'd the PS. I fully understand why the Mini is extremely popular, but there are those like nachooo for whom the PS is a better choice. I don't know why you can't do a batch or two every year for those people. They just have to be aware that there'll be have an extended wait time until any commitment from you as to a delivery time frame. Then, if they're willing to wait, why not produce it? You can check in with them when you decide to make a batch & see who remains interested & you can build the # of units accordingly.

Just my unsolicited :2c: Pipes. :D
Well... I built my first model some days ago, you can look for a pic in this same thread..a few post before
I discovered Pipes work some weeks ago, but I am in Europe and I love to do things by myself…So I decided to do my own one with the help of Pipes indications along this thread.
Also the rztoaster inductor is an inspiration..but this is way beyond my DIY capabilities…
What I would really like is a way to reduce or rearrange the zvs heater to built the smaller portable inductor posible, mine is 7cm x 4cm x 11 cm which is easy to carry in a winter coat..but not so comfortable in a jeans pocket in the summer.

Top Bottom