1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Pipes, Nov 23, 2016.

1. IAmKrazy2

IAmKrazy2 Darth Vapor

Was waiting to get some new dedicated batteries, and wanted to try the power supply in the mean time.

I can just install 3 seasoned 18650's and see what happens. I will get a chance to mess with it more on Sunday.

Also... What is the little metal square glued on top of the portside? It seems like it could come off in time, and doesn't seem to have any apparent use.

paehtod likes this.
  2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

It's a magnet to stand the vc on, however, I don't know if the magnet you got is magnetized on the top or the sides (forget the technical terminology) as @Pipes was going to change batteries from side to top magnetization(?). Mine had the side magnetization, but I found it useless so I removed it & picked up a center magnetized one from dynavap, just haven't attached it yet. Will probably use crazy glue & not that sticky silicone-type stuff Pipes used.

SloJimFizz, Pipes and IAmKrazy2 like this.
  3. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Ah I see, I think you'll be fine with the seasoned batteries while you wait for a new set. As long as they are rated 20amp+ you'll be fine.

Pipes, Summer, Squiby and 1 other person like this.
  4. jerseydvd

jerseydvd Well-Known Member

What batteries do people use in the portside? I used to vape and was always partial to either the LG HG2 3000mah 20 amp, or the Efest 3500mah 20 amp.
    I know efest also has a 3000mah 35 amp battery. Any advantage to higher amperage in the portside? Maybe even disadvantages ?

✌️

5. IAmKrazy2

IAmKrazy2 Darth Vapor

Thanks for all the help guys. After a little trouble batteries are installed and PS is now working.

Magnet doesn't seem to work for my VC. Not powerful enough. And one of my screws is already almost stripped. This could be an issue if taking in and out batteries often. The rattle sound also bothers me a little. I worry about durability. Can i just throw it in a backpack and go?

Functionally i really like the device. Really good heat, quicker than i expected, and easy and fun to use.

AtomicPB, Squiby, Pipes and 1 other person like this.
  6. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Batteries won't have to be replaced for a good long while so you won't be opening it that often. Just pick up a new screw at the hardware store or aisle; & maybe a new better quality screwdriver that won't strip the threads. I asked about the rattling sound & @Pipes said the battery holder is attached to the metal frame w/ double-sided tape & it's just wobbling. You could always try to adhere it tighter with double sided tape, I haven't yet, but I will. I take it everywhere with me. Haven't gotten a dedicated carrying bag for my vapeware yet so I just carry it in & out to the car in a plastic bag. :p

Also, after using it as is, if you aren't happy with the PS enclosure, you can always move it over to another enclosure.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    AtomicPB and Pipes like this.
  7. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

No this is bullshit, it's a 20A CDR cell with 25A max peak. Most probably a rewrapped Samsung 30Q.

The Efest 3500mAh 20A is not suitable for this application, it's only 12A CDR and 15A max. It would even be borderline dangerous to use.

Forget Efest really, they are not a manufacturer. Or well, the only thing they manufacture is the labels they print to put their brand on 3rd party cells. :shit:

There are only 3 brands you should trust: Sony, Samsung and LG (and Panasonic/Sanyo but not for high discharge 18650's)

AtomicPB, cybrguy, Pipes and 2 others like this.
  8. jerseydvd

jerseydvd Well-Known Member

Ok, we’ll i am we’ll versed it 18650’s already. I do know that efest is rewrapped Panasonic. My faves used to be the lg hg2 3000mah (brown wrapper). 20 amp peak
    That’s why I’m asking these questions. To know what stats are best for a portside. No need to try to school me in general 18650 crap. ✌Still, don’t know the basic answer to my original questions. What batteries seem to work best and last longest in portside..... any Recommendations?

mm

9. KeroZen

Excuse me but you propose using a 12A CDR cell that is completely inappropriate for this application and you call that schooling you in 18650 crap?

That's precisely why we need to repeat the same thing over and over, most FC members have strictly no clue about Lithium-Ion cells and how dangerous they are. House fires due to them is not a myth you know.

Perhaps you know better but my answer will help other readers avoid the same mistake? Perhaps you could also read the damn thread and find the answer to your question yourself, instead of making us sound like broken records?

:rant:

10. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Most use the LG HG2 3000mah. You do have to read through the thread, but take a look at my posts beginning here & @Pipe's responses. Hey, it's a start.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/v...top-and-in-car-use.23211/page-40#post-1153745

I bought mine at liionwholesale.com, others use illumn.com & I believe most use imrbatteries.com. All are reliable sources.

11. WoodVillain

WoodVillain Backwoods Rated

Not for this application but what's wrong with nitecore NL189 batts? Been using the same one for over 3 years and the charge still last a long time and i use it often... I was considering picking up a new one for backup? It's for a flashlight if it matters. Fenix pd35.

Is there a better option that still holds a charge as long?

Sorry for going off topic.... But you seem to know about batteries. Feel free to pm if preferred, and thanks in advance :D

And on topic... I got my vtc4 batteries in today and have them charging up on a nitecore d2 charger. Excited to get my PS... Hopefully Monday!

KeroZen likes this.
  12. KeroZen

Most of the time there's nothing wrong with rewraps excepted they just write exaggerated numbers on them and that sets unrealistic expectations which can lead to dangerous situations.

Sometimes you may also get B-grades instead of A-grades but it's not obvious unless you measure their parameters closely, or it might just show over time as they age faster etc.

But sometimes you get really bad stuff, like really poor cells able to handle only 3A... and when you try to draw 25A from them, bam!

At least with name brands (and using a reliable source) you know what you get.

PS: for your flashlights as long as you're not into silly high lumens stuff it's usually not a problem. And you can use protected cells too no? The ones with the nipple.

Summer and WoodVillain like this.
  13. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Here's a testament to the LG HG2:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/v...top-and-in-car-use.23211/page-40#post-1154941

@KeroZen & @WoodVillain, did you see the link in my above post that Pipes uses the Stony VCT4? He said his mah's are 1500 so they must have upgraded it as now they're 2100. Here's his entire post:

So coming from Pipes' battery choice, maybe the highest mah-rated 18650 isn't always the best?

ClearBlueLou and WoodVillain like this.
  14. WoodVillain

I asked him which batteries he personally recommended when i paid for my PS. I figured i can't go wrong using what he uses LOL

I ordered from liion. Quick shipping and everything came looking good to me.

Pipes, The Beagle and Summer like this.
  15. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

So, what you're saying @WoodVillain, is that you ordered the Sony VCT4? I spoke to Liion CS about about a website issue during the eclipse & I really was impressed with their attentiveness.

16. WoodVillain

Yep i got the VTC4s. All charged up and ready to go now.

My Portside should be here tomorrow. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

paehtod, DirtyD, Pipes and 1 other person like this.
  17. LabPong

LabPong Well-Known Member

Just because I had several extra Samsung 25R's.....that's what I use in my skelly. They work fine and I would never even worry or want any battery that might last longer. They last long enough and I get days on end from 1 charge anyway. Using the better LG's and Sony's for my Air.

Zecrono, Pipes and paehtod like this.
  18. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

My Portside literally just arrived and i released it from its packaging. o placed 3 18650's in it that i picked up from IMR. i hp[e they are facing the correct way as these batteries were not marked "+" or "-" so i assumed that the totally smooth flat end was "-" and the end with some divets was "+"

i plugged in the supplied charging cable and when i press the test button i see one red light, one green light and 2 of the 3 blue lights lit but only when i press the button and for a few seconds after i release the button. I hope this means its charging? is there supposed to be any other indicators when charging lit all the time? any idea how long it should take to fully charge?

i have read the FAQ but did not see this mentioned. i do have a jarhead as well (for now) so i understand the basic workings of the unit but since my jarhead is plugged in all the time i am not sure of the subtle differences between the two yet

19. Pipes

Pipes Addicted DIY Enthusiast Accessory Maker

Sound right so far. The little charger has a light to indicate charging. Red while charging and will go to green when done.
    The battery indicator only shows when you press the test button. This unit draws zero power in standby so there is no standby indicator.
    Enjoy as it is likely fully charged by now.

20. mmenzie

thanks @Pipes for the reply. i did not notice the light on the charger plug itself. i looked and mine is blinking between green and orange/red? does that indicate it is still charging since it is blinking? it is a slow blink as well not a rapid blink

21. xlr8shun

xlr8shun Well-Known Member

i am not sure its charging when its blinking..

i havent been able to find out what that means..

from one of my previous posts in this thread...

the green can also mean its done charging, either way, no load...

AtomicPB, Summer and mmenzie like this.
  22. mmenzie

i have not unplugged mine yet or mess with the "1/0" switch but i did press the "test" button and saw all 3 blue lights, green and red all lit and my charger light stopped blinking and went back to solid orange.

i think it's ready for me to test but i am not sure and i do not want to harm my new toy on its first day

AtomicPB, paehtod and DirtyD like this.
  23. WoodVillain

Got my PS in. Threw the batteries in. Checked the test strip. It showed full charge. Grabbed the omnivap. Stuck it in the hole and lightly pushed down.

A few seconds later i heard a click, i waited 1 second after, 1-1 thousand, and had a great first hit with visible vapor on exhale.

The next two hits were about the same, with flavor completely diminished on the 3rd hit and nothing left but dark brown abv that taste like popcorn to me lol.

Refilled omni and repeated the above with damn near identical results.

One more refill for good measure... Yup! Still performing excellently !

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

No questions. No complaints. This is a great product !

Thank you Pipes.

24. xlr8shun

xlr8shun Well-Known Member

you can surely operate it on less than full batteries.

unplug it from the charger and have some fun.. when you're done, put it back on the charger till full..

25. mmenzie

did EXACTLY that and have been enjoying it for sure!!!

***EDIT***
    i keep forgetting to turn off the kill switch when i am done using it. @Pipes says no power is flowing unless a dip is happening so i assume i am not draining any battery or doing any harm by forgetting or am i?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors