VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

MAbud

New battery arrived and super easy to swap. Was fully DOA so charging now...looking forward to a little more life. PSM is one of the few things in my collection I would be lost without

MAbud

@Pipes got one I need your thoughts on. Just got the new battery and gave it a bunch of hours of charge (was DOA). Shows all blue lights when I test it not under load, and then under first cap I only got a single blue light. Brand new battery and all charge so was shocked to only see a single blue. Any thoughts?

MAbud,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
It should only take an hour to fully charge. Did the charger go from red to green when finished?
The power switch sometimes gets overlooked but needs to be "on" to charge.
Sounds like it never got charged and you're looking at the gauge while the charger is plugged it. :\

Pipes,

MAbud

It should only take an hour to fully charge. Did the charger go from red to green when finished?
The power switch sometimes gets overlooked but needs to be "on" to charge.
Sounds like it never got charged and you're looking at the gauge while the charger is plugged it. :\

i use a charger from amazon so it doesn’t have a light. I know it needs to be powered on to charge and I know not to test it plugged in.

MAbud,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
What does the gauge show while plugged in and turned on? If dead it should be at least 2-3 LEDs while charging and get up to all 5 fairly quickly but needs a full hour to be completely full.
If you are getting heat for a cycle or two, I'd suspect the battery as being bad. It's generally not a good sign when you get a battery and it's flat from the supplier as should have a storage charge of ar least 30%.
You can put your old battery back for charger diagnostics. :cool:
Oh yeah, what are the specs for the Amazon charger?

Pipes,
Reactions: endof3d

MAbud

Too many chargers...grabbed the wrong one yesterday. Your comment about the light triggered me, so thanks. Charging the new one now

MAbud,
Reactions: TommyDee

seeryansee

Hi! I just recently received my PSM and I love it. I've seen some photos of some people storing their PSM inside a beer koozie and it looks like it's a perfect fit. I came here to ask if anyone has an opinion, like should I not store mine in a beer koozie? Will it cause harm to the device? Or is it fine to travel with it but maybe remove it if you're using it? Thanks!

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Welcome to the forum @seeryansee. PSM is a great IH, you won't be disappointed. Personally I store and use/charge mine in a case that can be seen on the previous page. The most vulnerable part of the unit in my opinion if dropped would be the glass heating well and switch on top. Not sure how much protection a drink cozy would provide in that instance. Over heating could also possibly be a concern if it's exposed to multiple users over an extended period of time. Of course that would apply to any IH. Having said that, @Pipes units are very solid and have with stood the test of time.

seeryansee

Sweet case! Do you take it out of the case when you're using it? I dont frequently do more than 2 back to back hits from the PSM I guess I should still be concerned about overheating? Thanks for your help, I'll prolly consider that case you have or something similar.

Edit, whoops just saw that you use it inside the case, thats cool!

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I bought one of those Mega cases too. The price was right.

My PSM is on its way and almost here. Tracking says it has made it into my state distribution center, so maybe tomorrow :drool: but definitely for the weekend. Actually, the case is supposed to arrive Friday so it will be a race to see what comes first, the cart or the horse.

First thing I'm gonna do is use up the small charge by vaping bowls until the battery is drained, then store it like that. :o Just kidding, the first thing is to start the conditioning process by immediately charging to 100% before use making sure the power switch is turned on. I've done my homework.

Then I'm gonna drain that battery dead on VC bowls. ;)

BabyFacedFinster

I intend to get one of those Mega cases too, but I'm not sure which case as I see their are many. Which camera is the PSM impersonating, the DMC ZS60?

It's this design.
https://www.amazon.com/MegaGear-MG1...ear+Leather+Camera+Case&qid=1588810430&sr=8-8

Some folks posted the warehouse side of Amazon where you can get one "practically new" for much less. The one I ordered was like that and it was half the price. You can get a light brown one for $7.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=megagear...=megagear,electronics,191&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_8

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: Easywider

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, that's the problem. The blurb in the ad for that is for different cameras than, for example, the first one mentioned (by @endof3d ). They are all the same design and may all be the same case, or they may have different dimensions to fit different cameras. I don't yet have my PSM so I think I will wait for it before ordering a case so I can send the case right back if it is the wrong one.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Mega Gear cases are designed to custom fit different brands of cameras. In this category of cameras they offer six sizes; each slightly different in height, width and depth measurements. The case that I chose was designed to fit the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 series.
Thought those folks who travel with their PSM might be interested in a few photos of the unit in it’s secure, well constructed Mega Gear case. Have had no need to remove it from the case - even when charging - since I received it. Comes with a sturdy adjustable strap and is available in seven different colors. For just twenty dollars it’s pretty much a no brainer. There are two in-depth posts on page 132 of this thread if you have questions on materials, size, fit etc..

https://www.amazon.ca/MegaGear-Panasonic-DMC-LX10-DMC-ZS60-DMC-ZS100/dp/B01BVMUCLC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2BONXA3RR577L&keywords=megagear+camera+bag&qid=1588083391&sprefix=mega+gear,aps,206&sr=8-4

The post on page 132 and page 139 of this thread I thought were clear as to the specific MG camera case I chose (including a link) based on researching the six different camera models and their sizes in this class of cameras. I apologize for any misunderstanding, but really don't know how I could have made it any clearer. Let us know how your choice works out.

endof3d,

BabyFacedFinster

Yeah, that's the problem. The blurb in the ad for that is for different cameras than, for example, the first one mentioned (by @endof3d ). They are all the same design and may all be the same case, or they may have different dimensions to fit different cameras. I don't yet have my PSM so I think I will wait for it before ordering a case so I can send the case right back if it is the wrong one.

I see. I hope mine fits now 'cause I ain't got no fancy camera.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: Easywider

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The post on page 132 and page 139 of this thread I thought were clear as to the specific MG camera case I chose (including a link) based on researching the six different camera models and their sizes in this class of cameras.
You were perfectly clear. And I found the one you listed on the used site for $7 so WTF.

cybrguy,

Mono Loco

Several pages back, we discussed using a "battery Bank", used for charging cell phones, to potentially power the Caldron. On Reddit, I found a link to a video of a gal using one, actually a more powerful one that can jump-start a vehicle, to power her Apollo II. Its output is 12v, 10A ! Here are the links, if interested.

(using it)

(Amazon) https://smile.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-T8-Car-Jump-Starter/dp/B07BGRN4TF

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Love that video @Mono Loco - particularly at 5:18 when she finally does an on-demand draw.

Those packs can be deceiving. Yes, they are what they say they are but their output is unregulated. They are in fact direct connect 3s(n)p packs that go through the same voltage curves as simple packs. The range is still 12.6v at the peak 11.1v cruising, and 9v at the cutoff. After testing a similar circuit to the Apollo, I'm going to suggest there is a huge performance curve depending on battery voltage. This is true of all portables, but Apollo users may not be ready for that. The 120w Mini-ZVS circuits are more forgiving than I am assuming the Apollo would be based on my experiments and findings. You probably understand changing of a curve's Q. In that respect, the reduced output IH is 'peakier' than the more populated standard offering. If the power band is operating in this sensitive range, my finding will apply.

However, yes, those backup packs would do just as well as a power brick. It will tame a Caldron and depending on the power brick used by the Apollo 2, I suspect it would tame that one too - on the condition the charge of the pack is already waining toward 11.1v under load.

Yesterday I was reading some interesting statements with regard to powering an IH. Without mentioning brands, the difference was obvious, one 2s and one 3s. The poster compared the 2s to making a great herb cooker. 15-17 seconds to a good roast. I concur. But the second was relegated to concentrate and dynacoil. The faster bake kept concentrate from what sounded like a reference to charring [ignorant of these things]. Along with that conversation was the idea to pulse the power. And I got that - not specifically PWM, but maybe a on-off-on-off cycle intervals of 0.5-1 second for instance. I really like that concept.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
My logic for the case is to make it easier to carry around rather than to protect it. A shoulder strap is nice, and maybe even the belt loop under the right circumstances.

Top Bottom