VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Follow the standard 60% storage charge. Batteries should not be stored full or empty.
At 50-60 % shelf life is very long like months if not years. :tup:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, I don't have any money for 420 and I haven't bought anything for myself in a while, so I decided it was finally time to order a PSM and since they are several weeks away I don't need to come up with the money yet. On rationalizations I think it was Goldblum in The Big Chill who said... Nevermind, this is what he said...

NexVision

I was very pleasantly surprised by the size of the PSM and cant wait for my Caldron to get here. I was using the dental heater before and its amazing the difference tot he PSM. Wonder how it will be when I replace the battery in the PSM I have now and can get more then 2 heat ups before it starts getting longer and longer.

NexVision,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Mono Loco

... Wonder how it will be when I replace the battery in the PSM I have now and can get more then 2 heat ups before it starts getting longer and longer.

With an appropriate Power supply adapter, you can disconnect the PSM's battery and use the PSM as a "desktop" unit ... right? Granted, you'd be tethered to an AC outlet, but have better performance than your dental heater.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
you’re gonna love the caldron ... go ahead and get ready to get a portside mini ... it’s happened to a bunch of us lol!
Hasn't happened to me yet, but the ball is in the air. Been longingly watching the cool kids for a while now. Summertime is gonna call me outside, even if it is just for solo walking and breathing fresh air. All that inside air is getting stale and the vitamin D generator awaits... :nod:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You need a battery pack to at least get you unplugged @cybrguy :cool: Summer is indeed right around the corner.

I'm thinking the Caldron could use a simple "battery pack adapter" to make use of the plethora of 11.1 volt Li-Po hobby packs out there. They need to be 3S and the cell size doesn't matter much. And hobby packs are for the most part rated for high power application anyway. They have their own charging paraphernalia . All that is required to make it work with the Caldron is an adapter between the battery pack's connector and the Caldron's 5.5 x 2.1 connector.

If you do RC hobbies and you have a Caldron, you've got everything you need somewhere around the house.

Come to think about it, with recent posts it is clear you can probably do this for your PSM out in the field if a pinch. A great way to extend battery life in the PSM too. Just leave the switch off or you'll also be balancing cells :brow:

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
:rofl: I do like the stealth of the coffee cup ones. PSM on a belt pouch is pretty stealthy too as long no one asks what it is. What's a good comeback for that?

TommyDee,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Hasn't happened to me yet, but the ball is in the air. Been longingly watching the cool kids for a while now. Summertime is gonna call me outside, even if it is just for solo walking and breathing fresh air. All that inside air is getting stale and the vitamin D generator awaits... :nod:

The old shade tree on the ridge is calling me and my good buddy PSM.;)

Mono Loco

I'm thinking the Caldron could use a simple "battery pack adapter" to make use of the plethora of 11.1 volt Li-Po hobby packs out there. They need to be 3S and the cell size doesn't matter much.

Oh boy. I'm so battery-ignorant!

Having an external battery pack with a dongle to plug into the Caldron seems like a very fine idea for those who might need an occasional portable unit and don't mind the added minimal "hassle". But, I'm confused.

A short while back, I inquired about the feasibility of using a 12v 10A rechargeable "battery bank" to power the Caldron. It was deemed acceptable by Pipes ... it's not small (but not too large to serve for "emergency field maneuvers") and it ain't cheap, but it seems as thought it should work. The one I inquired about holds (12) 3.7v 18650 batteries @ 3200mAh ... in "3S4P". I'm guessing that means 3"Series" 4"parallel". I believe that "series" means the Voltages get summed but the amps remain constant, and, conversely, "parallel" means that the Amps get summed but the voltage remains constant. Right? If so this battery pack of (12) 18659 LiON batteries should provide an output of about 11.2v @ 12,800mAh (or 12.8A). OR ... maybe I'm completely confused, because the product's descriptions reads, "Capacity: 3.7v 38400mAh" which, to my VERY limited understanding, would mean all the (12) batteries are in Parallel. So, there's some Li-Ion 18650 confusion. Now ... on to the Li-Po confusion!

@TommyDee, you say the use of an external LiPO battery pack to power the Caldron is straightforward. When the topic was mentioned before, Pipes did not seem to think it was a good idea, IIRC. I'm hoping that I DON'T recall correctly! If Pipes' had safety concerns (did he????), I wonder if his caution would be satisfied by a BMS in-line between an external battery pack and the Caldron's input. Is the BMS strictly for recharging control, or does it also monitor and protect the batteries during use/draw? Does a BMS, for example, have the capability to cut power from batteries if it senses an issue?

Also, let's say I have the 3S-11-1V-800mAh-25C-JST-XH-Li-Polymer-Battery that was linked on eBay back a few pages and I terminate its output leads to a 5.5x2.1 plug (or use an adapter) ... could I use the simple, cheap charger linked below to recharge the battery pack? : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081CZ1GNJ
It seems too easy! Nice AC chargers that balance, etc. are pretty expensive. Is this cheapo cable a fire hazard ???

Mono Loco,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The LiPo hobby option is for well trained high energy power users. It's a Lego approach to connecting a Caldron by making an adapter cable. Hobby people in this realm also have charge capabilities so that removed the necessary discussion of 'how to charge hobby packs'. Being an RC racer of old, this would be a no-brainer but people have melted their fingers with these. Maybe that is what @Pipes was referring to. I'll point to the remainder of your question, connecting the smaller pack externally. Same difference with a lot of options for the amount of power you want. You could even opt for a 7.2V low voltage unit or a modified DIY variable unit.

Now that Li-Ion power pack - different animal. Yes, it is overkill. 3s 18650 lasts me days days. 3s/2p is a week's worth. 3s/4p is a camping trip in the boonies!
They did mis-advertise that thing I agree. Pipes caught it and called it. Those packs are the safest route. Just plug it in.
One thing to note - the pack you linked was unregulated. It was called "12V" but in reality it has a range from 12.6v to 9v [iirc]. That means the Caldron's performance will follow the discharge curve of the cells.

I'm not afraid of Li-Ion cells. I have not done a lot with polimers that replaced Ni-Cad from my day. Basic difference is that the IH with cells have battery management systems inside them and the Li-Po packs don't. They require a charger that connects to each set of parallel cells.

And even better - you can probably use that monster power pack to charge you Port Side Mini. When you get one of course.

@Mono Loco :razz:

Edit; BMS is a means of last resort in my book. They are a form of resettable fuse typically 150% of their rating or there abouts. They also have a circuit to limit voltage to each cell or parallel set. The charge circuit which includes the voltage limit function also protects low voltage conditions and other housekeeping functions that could cut the connection between the full pack and whatever the connected source is. I will not that the BMS is in a small way a switch that opens and closes the negative line. The positive is a pass-through but does provide the high side for functional circuit voltage. Some of these BMS board have tabs for indicators such as charging and charged lights.

Last edited:
TommyDee,
Reactions: endof3d
Top Bottom