VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Mono Loco

Hi, all. I haven't been here for some time. I was hoping that our newly elected Governor was going to fulfill his campaign promises to LEGALIZE here in Connecticut, but ... ha, silly me for trusting a politician!

Pipes: I know you said there is not battery option for the Caldron, but I wonder if a "battery bank" could be used ... as long as it can put out 12v @ 6 amps? For example, I see some on Amazon ... they ain't cheap, though! ($89.99). I'm not saying it's a "practical" solution, but would it work? If the Amps are borderline, maybe a slightly larger unit would be better. Clearly, it's not a substitute for the PSM, but is it "do-able"? Here are its specs.

Technical details:
Built-in 12pcs rechargeable 18650 lithium ion battery cells in 3s4p.
Capacity: 3.7V 38400mAh / 142.08Wh (12pcs 18650 cells, the capacity of each cell is 3200mah at 3.7V)
Input: 12.6V/2A
Output: 12V (voltage range is 12.6-9V) /6A Max. 5V/2.4A Max.
Weight: About 730g
160mm long x 82mm wide x 47mm thick.

edit: Oh, and if it would work, how many uses would you expect a charge to provide ????

THANKS!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H8F5HYJ/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Keep safe!

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You can run a Cauldron on a battery powered source. I run my ZVS IH using 3s 18650 with perfect results and that is only 11.1v when the peek wears off.

Not having a battery in the Cauldron is an advantage. You could even make a variable voltage power bank... here
Just put the converter on a 3s or 4s battery pack.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Funny as I actually saw that puppy. Yes, it would work but a little expensive. And that's the cheapest one in that series.
As far as how many bowls you'd get. Let's do some math, 80-100 mAh per bowl and the unit is 38,400mAh therefore 38400/90 would give 427 bowls.
You'd have a hard time just conditioning that pup as would take a couple of months to deplete. If the capacity is as advertised it's overkill IMO. But I really have my doubts about it actually been that rating.
It will have good protection though. :science:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
They are arranged in 4 parallel cells with 3 each in series. Since it's the parallel cells making up the rating, they would have to be 38400/4 or 9,600 mAh in that configuration.
If they were all in parallel and using 4.2 volts, then yes, believable. as would be 3100-3200 mAh cells. My guess that this is the number they are quoting as more marketable. :\
So then, back to expected bowls. 9600/90 which is 107 bowls. Should give you a day or two anyway... :D

TommyDee

Vaporitor
LOL I got you. Yes, per cell is what they are counting. For our purposes, it counts. In fact, you are of course right in that the actual rating should be 12.8 amp hours.

I seem to be getting programmed on watt/hours. Amp/hours is missing a critical element - at what voltage.

I also noted they are not regulating the 12V. It actually varies from 12.6-9 volts. So output will sag with depletion. This does change the power the VC sees.

The first is a dead link but the second is in stock. However, it is a 30-50 discharge instead of the 20-30 discharge that @Pipes uses. Does that make a difference? I know nothing about lipo batteries.

Everything is out of stock everywhere. I can't even get a new drum head for my snare. LOL I put in to be notified when they are in stock again but, now days, that could be months from now. :(

Thanks again.

Hackerman,
Reactions: TommyDee

TommyDee

Vaporitor
:mental: that first link is my bad. I did find another of an off-brand-off-supplier. A-main hobbies will treat you right. I think you can contact Tenergy to find out when their next run is scheduled, or if.

Here you go;
https://www.hobbytown.com/align-3s-...L_qrb8beSwjiN2AJWKv41WYvdU2AXK6BoCwGoQAvD_BwE

55 x 30 x 24.5 -BUT- I don't know what charge plug they use. It looks like the opposite mate.

@Pipes - is there room for a connector adapter cable between the battery and the electronics?

Just wondering if this pack can be adapter easily.

18852.jpg

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I think only a skilled person should attempt a connector change. Working with a live circuit or battery is not forgiving and can be a scary experience if anything gets touched that shouldn't. I would not openly recommend it.
HobbyKing has run out before and will get stock back before long. :)

It would be awful tight. There is some space but I can't confirm if it would all fit. :\

Just a thought :2c: It seems to be the connector that is the limiting factor. Do you have the ability to replace the power connectors?

Hey, this looks promising... 26mm instead of 25...
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-850mah-3s-35c-lipo-pack.html

Thanks again for the help, guys.

I am not too worried about it fitting back into the case. It's a desktop anyway. I NEVER NEVER NEVER take my VapCap out of the house. In this backass state, everybody just points and screams CRACK ADDICT, CRACK ADDICT. Even when I took it to a gig, once and tried to use it, even my dumb ass friends would say, "What? Are you a crackhead, now?" Unbelievable. I'll bet DynaVap has never ever ever sold a single VapCap in my state. LOL Sad, but true. LOL

Anyway, back on topic... since this is a desktop model, could I just skip the battery and attach a power supply? I have a nice 12volt, 8 Amp power supply. @Pipes is it an easy task to attach a power supply in lieu of the battery? Would I bypass the little circuit board that (I assume) controls the battery charging? Or, just attach it to the + and - leads that would normally attach to the battery?

Thanks

It would be awful tight. There is some space but I can't confirm if it would all fit. :\
Hey Pipes, just got turned on to using a conduction heater and you seem to be the man to go to. I am most interested in purchasing one of your heaters. I need to figure out how to PM you though. Oh’ I am new to the forum too.

my deepest apologies for hijacking the tread, but for the life of me, I haven’t figured out how to PM. If someone would be so kind as to teach me to navigate this feature, I would highly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Thanks @Pipes,
I just got my Caldron today. 10 mins later Ive smoked to many bowls and can not do my chores. This is the best thing I have used for my Dynavap. Thank you so much for the quick shipping during these times.
Stay Safe Homies!
That’s what I’m taking about! Good for you, can’t wait to get the Caldron or Portside Mini to get baked!

Top Bottom