Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Why is the TonG/Lite NonG better for concentrates?

All the small tipped stems (Nylon, NonG, TonG, NonG LT) focus the heat onto the smallest area so give the highest most concentrated heat. In addition to that the TonGs and NonG LTs have slightly thinner walled tips and will add even more heat to the bowl, more quickly via conduction as a result. :science:

I feel like a lot of people go for the nano and overlook Underdog, and that's a shame.

Just wanted to share some reasons why I chose the dog over the nano:

Value: 4 stems with your dog vs one with the nano, and the nanos stems and gongs are generally more expensive.

Customer service: I believe epic vaped C's is good, but underdog and underdoggette provide legendary service that no other company I've dealt with can match up to.

Unique! Every dog is a little different, while the enano are all uniform with their simple cnc'd shape.

12v. This means it's easy and cheap to use the dog with a battery pack for camping or just kicking it in the backyard. It also means a vvps is cheap and you can control your voltage very precisely. The enano just has a knob. You can get a knob for the UD too but in general you have more options.

Thanks dude, good assessment I think (though I might be biased). :brow:

Once I found out I could get a dimmer or vvps I was sold

@underdog I will be contacting you since I am in Canada

Thank you for the info @ZC

Excellent! Send Underdogette a message and she can help you get set up. :tup:

BlazeInTheNorthernSky

Yeah the TonGs and the Lite NonGs are probably the best for concentrates.

Awesome, I can't wait for my TonG!

I've looked through the thread and checked out the different methods people are using for concentrates with the dog. Would sandwiching the concentrates in ground material be a good or bad idea with the TonG? I'm worried about the potential for it to combust before getting a good hit.

underdog

Manufacturer
Awesome, I can't wait for my TonG!

I've looked through the thread and checked out the different methods people are using for concentrates with the dog. Would sandwiching the concentrates in ground material be a good or bad idea with the TonG? I'm worried about the potential for it to combust before getting a good hit.

A concentrate sandwich with ground material works well but like you are worrying about sometimes things can get scorched before the concentrate is gone. For that reason these days I prefer to just use the concentrate on a bit of cotton or hemp fiber in the stem. :2c:

EarthFriend

Boy, this birthday sale is too hard to pass up! I've wanted a UD for years and this is the first time I feel like I've got enough socked away. I have a few questions:

-Is there still a code for FC members? I searched but didn't see anything that seemed current.
-When does the birthday sale end?

Thanks.

underdog

Manufacturer
Boy, this birthday sale is too hard to pass up! I've wanted a UD for years and this is the first time I feel like I've got enough socked away. I have a few questions:

-Is there still a code for FC members? I searched but didn't see anything that seemed current.
-When does the birthday sale end?

Thanks.

There are a few codes floating around (see Underdogettes or my signature lines) but none are needed or useful for the sale since they don't discount price and free Priority shipping is included already. :tup:

Not sure exactly when the sale will end since it's basically until we run out of the vapes we stockpiled for the sale.. that said it should continue for at least a month.

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
Picked up this bad boy recently - Ambrosia Maple Standard Core

IMG_0782.jpg

So this wood is kinda interesting. The Ambrosia Beetle has a symbiotic relationship with one of many types of a genus of fungi (genus Ambrosiella) usually collectively called Ambrosia Fungi. Beetles bore into trees and expose fungi to wood which causes the discoloration. I thought that was cool as shit. I literally have a sick dog. Thanks @underdog & @underdogette!

Edit - Added some interesting photos i found on this process.

title_gallery.jpg
ambrosia-beetle-genotypebysequencing-2-638.jpg

6079Smith

Got my new pup from the b'day sale- like the rest of her lineage, she's a beaut!
Wild Maple Standard, I gladly gave this lost pup her forever home

sBETdQz.jpg

My other dog is an air core, it'll be nice to use the standard and see if I prefer one over the other. This one is stouter with more mass than my somewhat tapered myrtle, feels great in hand. There's a small crack near the plug that made it a lost dog. It doesn't bother me a bit, just makes it seem more rugged like a scar. That and the extra stoutness is a nice contrast to the myrtle's more elegant curves to me. It's gonna be really nice having a pup in both the bed and living rooms.

Underdogette was gracious when I was an ass and changed my initial order. Shipping was lightning fast, got it yesterday, just a day after order! That was one long day at work after getting the delivered notification. I, too, will miss UD being a stones throw away from me. Whatever keeps the pups happy and breeding, though :)

Greatly anticipating an evening of bonding with the latest addition to the fam, here, and also experimenting with some concentrates. I vape flowers primarily but concentrates occasionally. I dunno why but I've never used the dog for concentrates, the recent discussion made me realize it.. That must be rectified.

Looking forward to seeing more pics from new owners

Thanks again for the gorgeous vape, Underdog and Underdogette!

ZC

@6079Smith

That's gorgeous!

I just unwrapped mine and it's even more beautiful in person. It'll be a while before I can get some decent pics of it though.

The SS Lite's look great.

The TonG's are awesome looking, and fit their respective female joints perfectly.

I got a hint of regret when I realized it might have been better to get an air core to compliment my standard core, but honestly this wood is so beautiful and the standard core works so well I can't be missing out on much.

Just to ease my curiosity, is it difficult/laborious/possible for a customer to see a pre-built log of their choice and have it switched to the other core style?

I'll update later once I've used everything but I'm just gonna guess and say it's all fantastic.

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Dogs, just a quick heads up to let you guys know that Underdogette and I will be leaving tomorrow for a quick birthday weekend getaway. We'll be back and shipping orders again on Monday. So again, we'll be shipping orders tomorrow morning then not again until Monday. We'll be in the wilderness too so no access to email or messages either. :peace:

Picked up this bad boy recently - Ambrosia Maple Standard Core

IMG_0782.jpg

So this wood is kinda interesting. The Ambrosia Beetle has a symbiotic relationship with one of many types of a genus of fungi (genus Ambrosiella) usually collectively called Ambrosia Fungi. Beetles bore into trees and expose fungi to wood which causes the discoloration. I thought that was cool as shit. I literally have a sick dog. Thanks @underdog & @underdogette!

Edit - Added some interesting photos i found on this process.

title_gallery.jpg
ambrosia-beetle-genotypebysequencing-2-638.jpg

Yeah those little beetles sure do a job on the trees which I know isn't good but on the bright side we get some awesome looking wood to use as a result!

Got my new pup from the b'day sale- like the rest of her lineage, she's a beaut!

sBETdQz.jpg

My other dog is an air core, it'll be nice to use the standard and see if I prefer one over the other. This one is stouter with more mass than my somewhat tapered myrtle, feels great in hand. There's a small crack near the plug that made it a lost dog. It doesn't bother me a bit, just makes it seem more rugged like a scar. That and the extra stoutness is a nice contrast to the myrtle's more elegant curves to me. It's gonna be really nice having a pup in both the bed and living rooms.

Underdogette was gracious when I was an ass and changed my initial order. Shipping was lightning fast, got it yesterday, just a day after order! That was one long day at work after getting the delivered notification. I, too, will miss UD being a stones throw away from me. Whatever keeps the pups happy and breeding, though :)

Greatly anticipating an evening of bonding with the latest addition to the fam, here, and also experimenting with some concentrates. I vape flowers primarily but concentrates occasionally. I dunno why but I've never used the dog for concentrates, the recent discussion made me realize it.. That must be rectified.

Awe, thanks for all nice words dude, much appreciated! I'm really digging that wood and I'm going to be sad when we run out.. it's wildly wild.

@6079Smith

That's gorgeous!

I just unwrapped mine and it's even more beautiful in person. It'll be a while before I can get some decent pics of it though.

The SS Lite's look great.

The TonG's are awesome looking, and fit their respective female joints perfectly.

I got a hint of regret when I realized it might have been better to get an air core to compliment my standard core, but honestly this wood is so beautiful and the standard core works so well I can't be missing out on much.

Just to ease my curiosity, is it difficult/laborious/possible for a customer to see a pre-built log of their choice and have it switched to the other core style?

I'll update later once I've used everything but I'm just gonna guess and say it's all fantastic.

Depending on the wood and vape design it's either really easy to swap to the other core style or not doable at all.. helpful I know lol. If you're looking at current (in stock) vapes they'll actually list core type as an option (if available/possible). Mostly we're limiting Air Cores to harder species since it conducts more heat to the wood (vs a Standard) so they're better suited to those stronger woods. :2c: You can also always message Underdogette and she can answer that question for any given piece.

ltv

sBETdQz.jpg

Which do you prefer and why? Air or standard core? I understand standard core is better with glass.

6079Smith

Which do you prefer and why? Air or standard core? I understand standard core is better with glass.

I've found the conventional wisdom to hold true in my case. The standard takes a little longer to heat up but has superior heat retention, the correlation makes sense. Both differences seem slight but noticeable.
The heat seems better distributed through the standard log, with my air core it seems concentrated closer to the top of dog but that might be heater placement or any other number of variables at work.

There's so many variables at play to be able to compare cores apples to apples. The good thing is you can always get dialed in with a vvps, if necessary. I've had zero problems using glass on either with proper o-ring placement, I'm not sure why one is favored over the other.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but since I could care less about a bit longer warm up time.. if forced to choose, I would lean toward the standard

FreddieFresh

@FreddieFresh you definitely don't need the oring in the standard core.

You can use it, and the benefits are a bit of cushion for your glass stems and a perfectly airtight seal. Personally I see no value in these qualities so I keep it off. But a lot of others use it and love it.
Thanks! As long as it doesn't affect the vapor/air ratio too much I'll be fine without it. I love those dense hits a good log provides

6079Smith

@6079Smith do you think the o-ring helps on the standard core? I'm a bit of an airpath purist so if I can avoid it i will

It came with one installed and I haven't fished it off yet to try, though I think I will be based on @ZC's post. I'll report back if my experience varies but the advice sounds solid

@FreddieFresh you definitely don't need the oring in the standard core.

You can use it, and the benefits are a bit of cushion for your glass stems and a perfectly airtight seal. Personally I see no value in these qualities so I keep it off. But a lot of others use it and love it.

Thank you! I was curious about this myself and would not have known how to answer

ltv

I've found the conventional wisdom to hold true in my case. The standard takes a little longer to heat up but has superior heat retention, the correlation makes sense. Both differences seem slight but noticeable.
The heat seems better distributed through the standard log, with my air core it seems concentrated closer to the top of dog but that might be heater placement or any other number of variables at work.

There's so many variables at play to be able to compare cores apples to apples. The good thing is you can always get dialed in with a vvps, if necessary. I've had zero problems using glass on either with proper o-ring placement, I'm not sure why one is favored over the other.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but since I could care less about a bit longer warm up time.. if forced to choose, I would lean toward the standard

Any advantages of the stainless steel heater in the UD compared with a ceramic ?

ltv,

6079Smith

Any advantages of the stainless steel heater in the UD compared with a ceramic ?

In general, I believe they are more efficient, durable, and offer increased longevity over ceramic. Ceramic may have a quicker heat up time

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in more definitively if I'm off on that

6079Smith,
Reactions: underdog

diseaze

I want to thank @underdog and @underdogette for such fast shipping on some new toys for my dog! I ordered a couple more GonGs (9 now in total!), restocked on some underbutter, some extra screens, and vinyl caps. I should have taken some pictures before I opened everything because they were wonderfully/securely packed, but I got eager to get them ready. It's been really great just filling all my stems before my session and not having to keep refilling throughout the night. They even threw in a couple extra things so I can't reiterate enough how great their customer service is!

Thanks again and happy birthday to UD! It's my birthday month too! Cheers! :tup:

Top Bottom