Underdog Log Vapes

shredder

I'm one of those who only use direct draw stems and don't often vape through a water piece. in my experience they all take a few minutes to recover when using a bubbler.
... But dry I find that my newer 'dogs don't have any noticeable recovery time between hits after the core is hot enough to vape which takes 10 minutes warm-up at most, where as my old core 'dogs seem to need a few minutes wait between hits until the wood is pretty warm to the touch which takes 'em being plugged in at least half an hour in-order to get consistent quick back to back hits (my oldest UD takes 45 minutes or more to get to temp, it's pretty thick and large compared to the others).

I think it somewhat depends on the bubbler as to recovery times. I like a fc-711 with my dog, and no recovery time needed. But if I use my bigger fc-187, it may need a little time between hits, especially if more than just I are using it.

Funny, but I go through trends. At first I only used a stainless tip inserted in a glass stem, then for a few months I just used a glass stem. Now for the last couple months I'm using the fc-711 and the 14mm gong.

BlazeInTheNorthernSky

No worries, happy to help!

Though I really wish I hadn't taken another gander at that amazon link... dunno if I overlooked it before or if a later addition, but the R106 remote dimmer option in the link looks ideal to me, offers a few key advantages of the simple on/off setup I currently have.

Namely these, the cord is streamlined, so no bulbous rotary dial. The remote offers step power increase/decrease but even better has one button operation to set at 50% or 100%, which are the levels my pup lives at. I'll never fumble for that switch again, is the hope. Same 5-24v range as current setup but a much higher max amp output at 12amps.

At that price, I went ahead and ordered one; I really hope this is the beginning and end to my developing RAS! Just a flash fever, I have plenty of other syndromes that need to take precedence lol

I'm still happy with my current setup, it's pretty cool to just plop down in my chair and have lights, fans, and vapes spring to life around me. I used velcro to make one remote stationary as a ghetto switch, the other's a floater. This other should be perfect for the dog, though, with it's rc power adjustment.

Happy vaping, all :)

Link (R106 version): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSV2CFI/ref=twister_B00Q3FBB3G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Have you gotten a chance to play around with the R106 remote dimmer yet? Mine showed up yesterday but I haven't been able to take it for a spin.

Looking at the remote it looks like it should be kept in "Lighting" mode and the brightness adjustment buttons used to control heat, along with the percentage selectors. There's no way this thing could harm the Dog by feeding it too much current... is there?

BlazeInTheNorthernSky

Nope no way that can happen as long as the voltage stays at 12v.. current can't increase without voltage increasing as well. :tup:

Thanks for the reassurance. Looking forward to trying out the remote dimmer and potentially building a setup around it. My only reservations are the lack of any sort of level indicator with the remote (makes sense, though, as it's intended for lights). I'll probably keep my regular dimmer switch in the power chain and use that to attenuate from the percentages on the remote, at least at first.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Thanks for the reassurance. Looking forward to trying out the remote dimmer and potentially building a setup around it. My only reservations are the lack of any sort of level indicator with the remote (makes sense, though, as it's intended for lights). I'll probably keep my regular dimmer switch in the power chain and use that to attenuate from the percentages on the remote, at least at first.

Happy to be of service! Yeah those remote dimmers would be perfect if they just had some kind of visible output display.

6079Smith

I did play around with it and the performance was very good, I tested the rf by throwing the cord behind furniture and it remained responsive.

I also would like a visual, though, I'm thinking of wiring a single led just behind the dimmer as a status light. The lack of status light is the only real con vs my analog dimmer. Everything else is a pro for me.

There's only three buttons I use- on/off, 100%, and 50%. There is 10 steps to 12volts, each click down should be 1.2 volts. I just prefer mine at 12 volts.

I was thinking of posting some thoughts and pics comparing the two, just hadn't had the time.

Hope it works well for you, happy vaping!

6079Smith

Okay, it's been six hours and my edit option is gone, think I'm good for the double post.

Got home from work and did some more testing of the remote. It was a lot easier starting with a cold dog. With dimmer no where in sight, between a wall and bed, I had a 100% success rate while remaining in room. It didn't matter where I aimed and this is as it should be with rf. I performed about half a dozen tests.

Next, it worked from an adjoining room travelling through a wall, closet, and about 20' total space. I went one more room/wall further, this time it did not respond. I did not re-test as the dog was getting pretty hot now and I'm not one to waste an opportunity, hehe. Also, the range was fine with me as I'll use it in the same room.

Despite the success rate of the remote, I'm not keen on not knowing absolutely what's going on with the dog visually. The remote does cast a beam of light when used so I guess I'd know battery health but it's still weird. I could leave the OG remote in the setup as a sort of master, this wouldn't be a huge deal but it does not appeal.

I think it would be best to wire in a single led right past the dimmer and nowhere near dog, that would just be wrong. So, a super cheap mod and I should have an rf controlled dog with a led status light on cord, pretty cool.

The lack of light is really all that's preventing me from hands-down recommending this over the typical rotary switch. I also don't know how finely you can adjust voltage on the analog vs the 1.2 volt steps on digital. That's a moot issue for me. I love mine at full 12, can rip away without heat soaking stems (ain't nobody got time for that!), end up with evenly dark abv. I use half power with the aroma cup.

It completely streamlines the cord, which is one of the major benefits to me, also remote is sleeker and not so chunky/dated, pics:

Dog for scale
TWYtMdV.jpg

vs the 'ol ball-and-chain and OG remote
hnSNRG4.jpg

Hope the rest of the pack is enjoying their evening, cheers!

underdog

Manufacturer
Okay, it's been six hours and my edit option is gone, think I'm good for the double post.

Got home from work and did some more testing of the remote. It was a lot easier starting with a cold dog. With dimmer no where in sight, between a wall and bed, I had a 100% success rate while remaining in room. It didn't matter where I aimed and this is as it should be with rf. I performed about half a dozen tests.

Next, it worked from an adjoining room travelling through a wall, closet, and about 20' total space. I went one more room/wall further, this time it did not respond. I did not re-test as the dog was getting pretty hot now and I'm not one to waste an opportunity, hehe. Also, the range was fine with me as I'll use it in the same room.

Despite the success rate of the remote, I'm not keen on not knowing absolutely what's going on with the dog visually. The remote does cast a beam of light when used so I guess I'd know battery health but it's still weird. I could leave the OG remote in the setup as a sort of master, this wouldn't be a huge deal but it does not appeal.

I think it would be best to wire in a single led right past the dimmer and nowhere near dog, that would just be wrong. So, a super cheap mod and I should have an rf controlled dog with a led status light on cord, pretty cool.

The lack of light is really all that's preventing me from hands-down recommending this over the typical rotary switch. I also don't know how finely you can adjust voltage on the analog vs the 1.2 volt steps on digital. That's a moot issue for me. I love mine at full 12, can rip away without heat soaking stems (ain't nobody got time for that!), end up with evenly dark abv. I use half power with the aroma cup.

It completely streamlines the cord, which is one of the major benefits to me, also remote is sleeker and not so chunky/dated, pics:

Dog for scale
TWYtMdV.jpg

vs the 'ol ball-and-chain and OG remote
hnSNRG4.jpg

Hope the rest of the pack is enjoying their evening, cheers!

Nice writeup!

I've had decent luck with these both for visual (approximate) power level indicators and as a tool to verify that power supplies are working. It might work for your needs too. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/82-12680

6079Smith

Nice writeup!

I've had decent luck with these both for visual (approximate) power level indicators and as a tool to verify that power supplies are working. It might work for your needs too. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/82-12680

Awesome, you da man!

You have no idea how many phrases and terms I tried while searching online for something exactly like this, lol. I thought it would be best to find something with the barrel ends installed, for simplicity and for anyone interested in replicating.

This looks perfect- LED, barrel connectors installed, slim profile and less than five inches.

Thanks for the link, Underdog!

j-bug

Just had replacement stems come in the mail (for ones we broke because glass breaks eventually, we'll be even more careful with these ones, no more dropping glass stems on concrete)

Picked up some hemp fiber from the store as well and I'm excited to use it as a filter, was actually just doing a mainly edible evening tonight to reduce some irritation i've been having. Hopefully the hemp acting as a particle filter and the water in the piece work together and allow me the pleasure of some wonderful vapor. Haven't been able to use direct draw much recently. I think the general heat and dryness of the air around here right now is making my throat more picky about vapor. Through water was originally A++ for me, but with recent irritation it's more of a solid B, I think the hemp fiber will bring it up to A++ again.

Also picked up a NonG stem and I'm excited to try this one possibly with some hemp fiber with concentrate on it to get some real nice concentrate hits through the water tool.

Ok so perhaps I should share the story of how the GonG stems broke, because both broke in remarkably similar ways, but I broke one and my partner broke the other. Basically we have a nice setup on the back porch right now where we are staying. We are with family temporarily who support medical usage of cannabis but don't much like the smell so we respectfully go out back. Anyway there's a lovely little table and we hook up the dog to an extension cord and just enjoy the backyard as we vape and we keep a bubbler on the table(mostly). Occasionally one or the other of us will get relaxed and lean back in our seat with it. On two separate such occasions when lifting the dog off the stem to clear the piece the stem decided to run off with the dog to unfortunate results. The ground is concrete and not the most forgiving, not the least forgiving floor here either, but unforgiving enough that the poor little GonG stems didn't stand a chance and were declared dead at the scene. Those were two separate very sad days. However, the second of such days was a bit less sad as we decided to replace them and to pick on an NonG stem(14mm) so that no matter what we'll have a stem for use with a water tool around, I think both of us have learned our lesson and with any luck we will be more careful in the future, but planning for the worst and hoping for the best usually works out well for me so that's what we're going for.

Sorry if that got ponderous at the end the indica candy is starting to hit me and while I feel lovely it's not the most conducive state to edit and/or to write with brevity. There unfortunately did not seem to be a good place to start a new paragraph so it may be too wall of texty for some, my apologies in advance to you.

Edited to add: wow I'm spacey today, I always want to convey my strongest gratitude to the Underdog Team, I don't know where I'd be without you. I'm going to be finding myself in the same part of the state as you guys this weekend, but unfortunately I'll be too busy on this trip to beg for a visit of the shop. So instead I humbly request more shop pictures as I always enjoy seeing where our precious dogs are birthed.

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
On two separate such occasions when lifting the dog off the stem to clear the piece the stem decided to run off with the dog to unfortunate results. The ground is concrete and not the most forgiving, not the least forgiving floor here either, but unforgiving enough that the poor little GonG stems didn't stand a chance and were declared dead at the scene.

You will be very happy using a NonG for water as it feels like smoking a snapper. Where I find the GonG particularly good is using it with a J hook. Due to the exact kind of issue you mentioned I now use rings of silicone to either pinch grip when removing the UD or curl my index finger around it when using the J hook so my finger does not get burnt.

vZ1ypfNl.jpg

j-bug

You will be very happy using a NonG for water as it feels like smoking a snapper. Where I find the GonG particularly good is using it with a J hook. Due to the exact kind of issue you mentioned I now use rings of silicone to either pinch grip when removing the UD or curl my index finger around it when using the J hook so my finger does not get burnt.

vZ1ypfNl.jpg
I started to keep a finger on the stem at all times after the first one broke XD but now I will be sure to pass on the memo to anyone who wishes to use it.

j-bug

You might want to look into a carbed 14M->14F adapter, that would save you lifting the stem to clear it. I think it only takes one busted stem for it to pay for itself.
It was my understanding that dogs should be only upside down for as long as is necessary to take a hit as being upside down causes the heat to aggravate the more delicate parts, but perhaps @underdog or @underdogette could share guidance? Or someone else familiar with the care and feeding of our pups :D

Last edited:

jim-bob

Yeah, I'm not the best one to answer this - i typically spend my underdog time chasing the perfect one-hitter, so I try to never pack enough that I have to stir or hit again.

I can tell you that I've had an underdog plugged in since 2012 (with a few breaks when i leave town) and it doesn't seem to have any issues, for whatever that's worth.

underdog

Manufacturer
Awesome, you da man!

You have no idea how many phrases and terms I tried while searching online for something exactly like this, lol. I thought it would be best to find something with the barrel ends installed, for simplicity and for anyone interested in replicating.

This looks perfect- LED, barrel connectors installed, slim profile and less than five inches.

Haha.. I know what you mean it can be near impossible to find stuff if you don't know which search words to use. We actually used to stock these on the website for DIY troubleshooting tools (see if power is being delivered to Dog, etc) but people didn't buy them so we stopped. :shrug:

It was my understanding that dogs should be only upside down for as long as is necessary to take a hit as being upside down causes the heat to aggravate the more delicate parts, but perhaps @underdog or @underdogette could share guidance? Or someone else familiar with the care and feeding of our pups :D

It's definitely better for an UD to be right side up so that excess hot air can escape out the open top and so that it keeps that heat from the lower half of the vape where the power plug and wiring is. We're talking long term here though not on a short term stem session kind of time frame.. should be no problems with that kind of usage. :tup:

TeeJay1952

Just had son in law open out of warranty, not heating all the way, dog and found that someone (no hulk need be mentioned) had allowed overflow resin to inundate innards. A ISO clean up and it it fresh as a daisy! (not sure how fresh those are but unit heats very well.)
@underdog Common or is my girl special? I preach less is more but green deaf ears.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
You might want to look into a carbed 14M->14F adapter, that would save you lifting the stem to clear it. I think it only takes one busted stem for it to pay for itself.

I have found using a claisen/carbed GonG to be overkill for the UD. That is mainly because I use NonG's with water as a one hitter & if I am using the GonG I will need to remove the UD to stir in between hits anyway. Where a carbed GonG works well is with a session vape I have found. Always worthwhile to have one lurking around though.

j-bug

I have found using a claisen/carbed GonG to be overkill for the UD. That is mainly because I use NonG's with water as a one hitter & if I am using the GonG I will need to remove the UD to stir in between hits anyway. Where a carbed GonG works well is with a session vape I have found. Always worthwhile to have one lurking around though.

This is probably the main reason I haven't already picked up a carbed adaptor or carbed gong. Becuse if I'm using the glass it's usually gonna be stirred.

It could Potentially could be useful when doing concentrates on the GonG stems. But I am finding now that I have the NonG(14mm), I've very much been inclined to reach for that packed with a bit of hemp fiber and a tiny bit of concentrate for ridiculously tasty tiny bits of concentrate to do concentrate one hitters where you get all the goodies in one hit with the taste.

While the stems packed with flower, keef, and wax the first few hits have unbeatable taste ime, but the terpenes definitely get vaporized before all the other medicine. And I find the medicine doesn't taste so nice on its own, once the terps are gone.

So I think the NonG has moved into being number 1 for terp filled hits of concentrate. I find for some of the effects I'm most looking for, insomnia relief being a major one recently, that terpene profiles can be really important in getting to a point where it'll knock me out properly and keep me there for a reasonable time.

Though I also find that finishing off the evening with a small conduction vape that clicks when it's ready to hit has a really nice complimentary effect to the impact of the Underdog. As others have said they make an excellent tag team, better than any other combo I've had the joy of trying anyway :)

JESUSgotNAILED

No worries, happy to help!

Though I really wish I hadn't taken another gander at that amazon link... dunno if I overlooked it before or if a later addition, but the R106 remote dimmer option in the link looks ideal to me, offers a few key advantages of the simple on/off setup I currently have.

Namely these, the cord is streamlined, so no bulbous rotary dial. The remote offers step power increase/decrease but even better has one button operation to set at 50% or 100%, which are the levels my pup lives at. I'll never fumble for that switch again, is the hope. Same 5-24v range as current setup but a much higher max amp output at 12amps.

At that price, I went ahead and ordered one; I really hope this is the beginning and end to my developing RAS! Just a flash fever, I have plenty of other syndromes that need to take precedence lol

I'm still happy with my current setup, it's pretty cool to just plop down in my chair and have lights, fans, and vapes spring to life around me. I used velcro to make one remote stationary as a ghetto switch, the other's a floater. This other should be perfect for the dog, though, with it's rc power adjustment.

Happy vaping, all :)

Link (R106 version): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSV2CFI/ref=twister_B00Q3FBB3G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They need one in black!!! :lol:

My dimmer arrived. All is well :D

BlazeInTheNorthernSky

Awesome, you da man!

Well, I found the remote dimmer to be completely impossible to use without any sort of indicator, at least with how I've been using the Dog. Looks like I'll be picking up one of these too. I know I promised pics of my new Dog a week or so ago, but I feel like my setup is sooooo close to what I'm visualizing and the indicator is more or less the final piece. Hopefully delivering on that soon.

Thanks for all the helpful info as always!

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Dogs, just finishing up a long week in the shop (not that I don't work weekends too lol) and thought I'd catch up on answering some missed posts..

Squaredog looks great!

I always wondered why log makers don't sell square logs at a discounted price. No turning saves a bunch of labor!

Our experience has been the opposite, sanding square pieces off the lathe takes us 2-3 times longer than a round Dog on the lathe. Maybe if I got a better finish straight off the bandsaw it might not be so bad but cut with a resaw blade the blocks are pretty rough to start. :2c:

I believe the square shape is actually more labor intensive than the cylinder because a lathe can't be used. I believe that's why they don't do them more often.

Just so. :tup:

...I always want to convey my strongest gratitude to the Underdog Team, I don't know where I'd be without you. I'm going to be finding myself in the same part of the state as you guys this weekend, but unfortunately I'll be too busy on this trip to beg for a visit of the shop. So instead I humbly request more shop pictures as I always enjoy seeing where our precious dogs are birthed.

Ah thanks man, we appreciate the appreciation. :brow:

At least you're not missing anything on the shop visit front. Since we lost the store (ie our commercial space) to that sketchy POS landlord who effectively robbed us of a year or two of profits we've been limping along out of our small home based shop again for the time being. We actually need to raise a bunch of money so we can relocate, our crappy little town (and associated county) are working on banning all businesses like us in case (and/or before) California legalizes this year. :ugh::cry::doh::rant::shit:

I may have went overboard of the emoji there but it's still a sensitive subject lol. :peace:

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Hey Dogs, just finishing up a long week in the shop (not that I don't work weekends too lol) and thought I'd catch up on answering some missed posts..

Our experience has been the opposite, sanding square pieces off the lathe takes us 2-3 times longer than a round Dog on the lathe. Maybe if I got a better finish straight off the bandsaw it might not be so bad but cut with a resaw blade the blocks are pretty rough to start. :2c:

Just so. :tup:

Ah thanks man, we appreciate the appreciation. :brow:

At least you're not missing anything on the shop visit front. Since we lost the store (ie our commercial space) to that sketchy POS landlord who effectively robbed us of a year or two of profits we've been limping along out of our small home based shop again for the time being. We actually need to raise a bunch of money so we can relocate, our crappy little town (and associated county) are working on banning all businesses like us in case (and/or before) California legalizes this year. :ugh::cry::doh::rant::shit:

I may have went overboard of the emoji there but it's still a sensitive subject lol. :peace:
Paradise my arse! So sorry to hear about this Dave.

Top Bottom