Underdog Log Vapes

jim-bob

IMO, keeping your dog primed and ready to go 24/7 would be more safely done at a lower temp than at the desired full vaping temp if using a vvps. Full heat up from there is only a few short minutes... better for a longer dog life and much less worry for Smokey the Bear... but that's just me.
I worried about this when I first added a VVPS to the mix (i've been running direct-wired logs 24/7 for years) but after playing it safe for a month or two that VVPS (Tekpower, no flamejob) has been on 24/7 at 11.2 volts for quite some time as well.

I would never recommend anyone else do anything like it of course, but I'm no longer worried about it.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
This has probably been covered but I just came across this voltage regulator while looking for non-ud related parts on amazon and immediately thought of the ud. Could be used as a super cheap digital voltage regulator or prettied up by mounting it in a box with ports and switches.

My dad has had my full size ud for couple months and he loves it ... going to have to convince him to get his own one of these days so I can get mine back ;)

Yep one of those should work just fine.. I've actually purchased a number of them off eBay and have been using them in-shop for the last 6 months to a year. :tup:

Sounds good. I'm guessing keeping it on 24/7 will change the colours of the wood overtime? Maybe I'll start unplugging it when I go to bed at least...

That's the best way to go to maximize your UDs lifespan. Alternatively like Snappo mentioned you can run it at a lower standby voltage (with a VVPS) to get the best of both words (longevity / fastest heat up).

::edited to add:: - Pretty sure this is one one on eBay that I've been using, a couple bucks cheaper than the Amazon offering too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310924042063

Lemmings

Padawan Glass Cutter
Accessory Maker
Yep one of those should work just fine.. I've actually purchased a number of them off eBay and have been using them in-shop for the last 6 months to a year. :tup:

I've been leaving my dog on 24/7 and using the dimmer I picked up at purchase time from UD. I turn the dimmer down somewhere around 50% and it stays a bit warm, then ramps up in just a few minutes when needed. The dimmer isn't putting off any heat that I can tell and should be safe to run this way yes?

I used some of the wife's nail polish to put a few indicator marks on the dimmer, and they even have names. Sparkly spot 1 and 2 are the most popular temp settings depending on how cured the herb is.

We should start a picture thread on here just for people to post up how they decorate their dimmers and vvps boxes!! :lol:

6079Smith

I've been leaving my dog on 24/7 and using the dimmer I picked up at purchase time from UD. I turn the dimmer down somewhere around 50% and it stays a bit warm, then ramps up in just a few minutes when needed. The dimmer isn't putting off any heat that I can tell and should be safe to run this way yes?

I used some of the wife's nail polish to put a few indicator marks on the dimmer, and they even have names. Sparkly spot 1 and 2 are the most popular temp settings depending on how cured the herb is.

We should start a picture thread on here just for people to post up how they decorate their dimmers and vvps boxes!! :lol:

All of a sudden the marks from my yellow paint pen seem so... boring! :)

I've been using the dimmer in much the same way while at home, idling at just over halfway on dimmer with aroma cup when not in use- but I'm in love with my most recent addition to the mix. I'm sure it's been done before but it made me happy to think of.

Remote control Dog
DGPIoIx.jpg

Now she get's her rest a lot more often; no matter how lazy or medicated I get I can always manage to push a button at arms reach! So far lol. The visual reminder's nice, as well. Programmed to the top, number one position, lest I get forgetful. Rated at 10 amps so I think I'm utilizing less than 20% max draw, hopefully no one chimes in to tell me I'm a dunce and that it's unsafe (but please do, if it is).

underdog

Manufacturer
All of a sudden the marks from my yellow paint pen seem so... boring! :)

I've been using the dimmer in much the same way while at home, idling at just over halfway on dimmer with aroma cup when not in use- but I'm in love with my most recent addition to the mix. I'm sure it's been done before but it made me happy to think of.

Remote control Dog
DGPIoIx.jpg

Now she get's her rest a lot more often; no matter how lazy or medicated I get I can always manage to push a button at arms reach! So far lol. The visual reminder's nice, as well. Programmed to the top, number one position, lest I get forgetful. Rated at 10 amps so I think I'm utilizing less than 20% max draw, hopefully no one chimes in to tell me I'm a dunce and that it's unsafe (but please do, if it is).

Looks like a good setup there dude. Where'd you get the remote system? Price? Your UD should draw less than 1 amp so you're running that thing nice and light.

6079Smith

Looks like a good setup there dude. Where'd you get the remote system? Price? Your UD should draw less than 1 amp so you're running that thing nice and light.

Hey Underdog! Thank you, I love my kit and my dog even more!

Been a dd since purchase; thank you for the awesome craftsmanship. Just buttered her up, a ritual I enjoy.

I went with this particular one to be able to use w/ other devices and also leave some room for growth, though I ended up quickly utilizing all but one ($29.88): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F83DBXG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could spend a lot less for just one pup ($11.98): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQDJJKU?psc=1

It's easy as pie, pre-programmed out of the box. Truly plug and play, even my aging parents could install and operate :)

There's also wifi versions that tie to your phone, I noticed, but there's a steep bang-for-buck drop off and more than my inner nerd requires.

I started out looking at inexpensive timers to schedule around the work day but saw how inexpensive and simple these were. My air core heats up plenty fast for me so I just turn it on once home and it quickly became part of the get-out-the-door routine to turn off via remote since other lights, fans, etc. are hooked up to it. I would often forget before, forest for the trees and all. Hope this helps anyone interested.

Hmm, one more space to fill.. September.. lonely pup..

JESUSgotNAILED

My doggy is so hot I'm finding it is way too easy to combust, even when being careful. Does anyone rock 2 dimmers (from the site) by chance? Theoretically it should be just like my current power supply -> dimmer setup right, with less wear and tear on the first dimmer in the chain? Sure wish I could speed up my VVPS order! :p

Happy toking

Late Edit - I've been calling my extension cord a dimmer.... frustrating oops right there.

Last edited:

underdog

Manufacturer
My doggy is so hot I'm finding it is way too easy to combust, even when being careful. Does anyone rock 2 dimmers (from the site) by chance? Theoretically it should be just like my current power supply -> dimmer setup right, with less wear and tear on the first dimmer in the chain? Sure wish I could speed up my VVPS order! :p

Happy toking

I can't think of any benefit to using 2 dimmers since even a single one has more than enough capacity to easily run an UD, ie there is little to no wear and tear on the dimmer.

Have you thought about picking up a cheap VVPS on eBay or Amazon, etc to last you until you get your fancy VVPS?

6079Smith

No I haven't and I think it's time! Using another dimmer wouldn't knock down the heat enough huh?

Thanks again Dave for turning the Spalted Hackberry into my beautiful unit. She is absolutely gorgeous :D

What's the range or lowest voltage of your dimmer? It should say on the unit. All I can think of is you bought a dimmer with a higher lowest voltage than is desired for our dogs. Could be faulty, as well. There's no benefit to running two.

I was happy to have a hot running dog, it meant I could tame it with an inexpensive dimmer rather than adding a vvps. It has never combusted but has definitely flirted with it. If I was unhappy with the dimmer alone I would have purchased a vvps, no problem. I just found wasn't necessary in my case.

Good luck finding a solution!

JESUSgotNAILED

What's the range or lowest voltage of your dimmer? It should say on the unit. All I can think of is you bought a dimmer with a higher lowest voltage than is desired for our dogs. Could be faulty, as well. There's no benefit to running two.

I was happy to have a hot running dog, it meant I could tame it with an inexpensive dimmer rather than adding a vvps. It has never combusted but has definitely flirted with it. If I was unhappy with the dimmer alone I would have purchased a vvps, no problem. I just found wasn't necessary in my case.

Good luck finding a solution!

Well I think I found the problem.

I've been calling my extension cord a dimmer. I think I read before on here that they dim the voltage slightly so that might be why. Wow. Ooops.

Looks like buying an ACTUAL dimmer off the site will solve my problems. I probably only need to knock it down a notch or two to have it still be a furnace but not light my herbs on fire as easily. This is one hot dog :D

underdog

Manufacturer

I've been calling my extension cord a dimmer. I think I read before on here that they dim the voltage slightly so that might be why. Wow. Ooops.

Looks like buying an ACTUAL dimmer off the site will solve my problems. I probably only need to knock it down a notch or two to have it still be a furnace but not light my herbs on fire as easily. This is one hot dog :D

Ah! Suddenly everything makes sense.. :D

Yeah the extension cords do have a slight 'dimming' effect since they drop the voltage a little bit, the longer the cord the more the drop. You can definitely stack multiple cords to get more and more drop, no problem there.

The above said a dimmer is also nice to have as part of your toolbox since it's such a low cost addition. :2c:

6079Smith

Hey, momentary embarrassment is a much better problem to have!

Have you played with screen distance? Maybe just keep backing the load off until you get your dimmer?

underdog

Manufacturer
...Hmm, one more space to fill.. September.. lonely pup..

September should be fun, since it's the 5 year mark from our going all-in with UD it'll be our biggest sale to date. Good times should be had by all. :brow:

No I haven't and I think it's time! Using another dimmer wouldn't knock down the heat enough huh?

Thanks again Dave for turning the Spalted Hackberry into my beautiful unit. She is absolutely gorgeous :D

My pleasure man, I like working with the Hackberry, it's always unique and pretty. :cheers:

I'll be ordering one soon. Thank you guys :lol:

You could probably save yourself a few bucks (even more if you have Prime) and order directly from Amazon. Not that we don't appreciate your business but figured I'd throw that out there. ;)

In other news we got proofs back from the printer this week for a new sticker and for our BJJ gi patches, exciting and fun stuff so I'm going to have to share a sneak peak with you guys.

First is a new vertical sticker that we're doing in a standard business card size. The front is a super high quality vinyl sticker (like our others) that also has the same image printed on the back so you can use the sticker and still have a card with our info.

1535liw.jpg

The second is an awesome 4" woven patch we're getting made for our BJJ team to wear on their Gis. It'd also work great on other stuff like backpacks, jackets, bags, etc.

1zz41u1.jpg

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
September should be fun, since it's the 5 year mark from our going all-in with UD it'll be our biggest sale to date. Good times should be had by all. :brow:

My pleasure man, I like working with the Hackberry, it's always unique and pretty. :cheers:

You could probably save yourself a few bucks (even more if you have Prime) and order directly from Amazon. Not that we don't appreciate your business but figured I'd throw that out there. ;)

In other news we got proofs back from the printer this week for a new sticker and for our BJJ gi patches, exciting and fun stuff so I'm going to have to share a sneak peak with you guys.

First is a new vertical sticker that we're doing in a standard business card size. The front is a super high quality vinyl sticker (like our others) that also has the same image printed on the back so you can use the sticker and still have a card with our info.

1535liw.jpg

The second is an awesome 4" woven patch we're getting made for our BJJ team to wear on their Gis. It'd also work great on other stuff like backpacks, jackets, bags, etc.

1zz41u1.jpg
Oh man!!! ...gotta have that patch:rockon:

6079Smith

Awesome. That is the one I am looking at. Thanks!

No worries, happy to help!

Though I really wish I hadn't taken another gander at that amazon link... dunno if I overlooked it before or if a later addition, but the R106 remote dimmer option in the link looks ideal to me, offers a few key advantages of the simple on/off setup I currently have.

Namely these, the cord is streamlined, so no bulbous rotary dial. The remote offers step power increase/decrease but even better has one button operation to set at 50% or 100%, which are the levels my pup lives at. I'll never fumble for that switch again, is the hope. Same 5-24v range as current setup but a much higher max amp output at 12amps.

At that price, I went ahead and ordered one; I really hope this is the beginning and end to my developing RAS! Just a flash fever, I have plenty of other syndromes that need to take precedence lol

I'm still happy with my current setup, it's pretty cool to just plop down in my chair and have lights, fans, and vapes spring to life around me. I used velcro to make one remote stationary as a ghetto switch, the other's a floater. This other should be perfect for the dog, though, with it's rc power adjustment.

Happy vaping, all :)

Link (R106 version): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSV2CFI/ref=twister_B00Q3FBB3G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Top Bottom