• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

Chicken Charlie

MicroDose Cognoscente
Hey Dogs, just finishing up a long week in the shop (not that I don't work weekends too lol) and thought I'd catch up on answering some missed posts..

Our experience has been the opposite, sanding square pieces off the lathe takes us 2-3 times longer than a round Dog on the lathe. Maybe if I got a better finish straight off the bandsaw it might not be so bad but cut with a resaw blade the blocks are pretty rough to start. :2c:

Just so. :tup:

Ah thanks man, we appreciate the appreciation. :brow:

At least you're not missing anything on the shop visit front. Since we lost the store (ie our commercial space) to that sketchy POS landlord who effectively robbed us of a year or two of profits we've been limping along out of our small home based shop again for the time being. We actually need to raise a bunch of money so we can relocate, our crappy little town (and associated county) are working on banning all businesses like us in case (and/or before) California legalizes this year. :ugh::cry::doh::rant::shit:

I may have went overboard of the emoji there but it's still a sensitive subject lol. :peace:
I'm sorry for your recent trials and tribulations...(so undeserving) given the kindness, concern and generosity you've shown to others The malevolence of this world never ceases to amaze me. Your Karma is destined to be rewarded!

Lemmings

Padawan Glass Cutter
Accessory Maker
I'm sorry for your recent trials and tribulations...(so undeserving) given the kindness, concern and generosity you've shown to others The malevolence of this world never ceases to amaze me. Your Karma is destined to be rewarded!

Ditto here, some day Karma comes back to us, though it may seem it never will. I hope things improve for you soon Dog Team! I've been sitting on my hands waiting till the end of the month to pick up a bit I need, budget issues really stink.

@underdog I have a question regarding using a dimmer device before the wall wart as opposed to after the wart with the inline 12v dimmer. I've read a lot of the dimmer and vvps posts on here and I'm just never 100% clear on the exact method of application I'm reading about. If I need to go back and search the thread better just lemme know!

I have a fairly heavy duty 120V 15A, stepless dimmer controller - power strip. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Rose-City-Speedster-Variable-Control/dp/B000HQAVNI

What I'm wondering is if plugging the walwart in to such a dimmer and varying the voltage it receives has a chance of damaging the power supply over time. I think this controller is designed more for lights and motors and I haven't been able to determine with certainty if it's bad for a 12v power supply.

Thank you, apologies again if this is already covered.

[quick edit addition] I've been googling and still not finding an answer, the combined topics make this a google' bermuda triangle. Any EE types out there?! :lol:

Last edited:

j-bug

Ditto here, some day Karma comes back to us, though it may seem it never will. I hope things improve for you soon Dog Team! I've been sitting on my hands waiting till the end of the month to pick up a bit I need, budget issues really stink.

@underdog I have a question regarding using a dimmer device before the wall wart as opposed to after the wart with the inline 12v dimmer. I've read a lot of the dimmer and vvps posts on here and I'm just never 100% clear on the exact method of application I'm reading about. If I need to go back and search the thread better just lemme know!

I have a fairly heavy duty 120V 15A, stepless dimmer controller - power strip. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Rose-City-Speedster-Variable-Control/dp/B000HQAVNI

What I'm wondering is if plugging the walwart in to such a dimmer and varying the voltage it receives has a chance of damaging the power supply over time. I think this controller is designed more for lights and motors and I haven't been able to determine with certainty if it's bad for a 12v power supply.

[quick edit addition] I've been googling and still not finding an answer, the combined topics make this a google' bermuda triangle. Any EE types out there?! :lol:
Any dimmer or vvps should be between the wall wart and the underdog. This has been mentioned here before iirc. It may be mentioned in the "best of" thread as well.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer

There are always exceptions but generally speaking you don't want to undervoltage (like with a dimmer) a wall-wart or other power supply. Some components inside don't always care for that and will let out their magic smoke real quick. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Lemmings

Padawan Glass Cutter
Accessory Maker
There are always exceptions but generally speaking you don't want to undervoltage (like with a dimmer) a wall-wart or other power supply. Some components inside don't always care for that and will let out their magic smoke real quick. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Thank you sir! I hate it when the magic blue smoke sneaks out!!! :lol: Glad I held off on using it until after checking with some experts. It would be funny to post up on here what I originally purchased it for, but I think it would need its own adult thread somewhere else.

ZC

I'm sure I've said this before but it bears repeating: The long stainless steel stems are just amazing. I have something like 30+ stems between my UD and other logs. None of them are as smooth or tasty as the pure SS Underdog stem.

I'm glad you guys are still offering them instead of it being a one-off thing like originally planned.

6079Smith

The illuminated, inline pigtails arrived yesterday... and they work like a charm! :D Vape mail is the best mail. Thanks again for the link, Underdog, these babies are just what I was after. The led is bright and blue, each step in power gives a noticeable change in brightness of led.

It also confirmed something I'd noticed the last week, that being when initially turning on device it takes more than a quick click of the button and more of a momentary depression. We're talking a half second, maybe. Everything is very responsive to quick clicks after the initial power on.

The power steps seem to be small enough to be of use. I clicked down twice from 12volts and still had good results but noticeably lighter ABV. At half power my wax in aroma cup is on verge of becoming viscous, stepping up in increments I could see it become more and more fluid.

I haven't had any problems with over a hundred hours on dimmer now, it comes with a year warranty if I do. With the addition of the status light I feel very satisfied and can now feel good about recommending this setup. The colors of wire, white/red, don't match but it hasn't bothered me- it's a cord that resides on the floor, after all. If it starts to bug me or I'm bored one day maybe I'll throw some heat shrink on it, this would protect the cord but may be less pliable. Being into this about 22 bucks, with seven of that shipping, gotta say I'm pretty happy with this simple plug-and-play mod for my pup.

The illuminated pigtail. Red wire camera-side, other side's black
X2ZF78F.jpg

Hope everyone's enjoying their morning as thoroughly as I am.. easy like Sunday mornin'.. :leaf:

underdog

Manufacturer
I was cleaning my stainless-tipped glass stems and one of the screens popped out. what is the recommended depth of the screen with these tips?

also, any chance of an all-glass stem like what enano offers? that would be awesome

In the various SS tipped stems the screens can sit anywhere between it's own depth (ie, it's rim flush with the tip) to twice it's depth or more. By default we set them at about 1/4" deep, so usually just a bit deeper than the screens depth. I kind of feel like Dr. Seuss wrote that lol.. hopefully it makes sense.

As far as glass screens go, no probably not something we'll make again. We've tried it in the past and always found them lacking (most people ended up putting SS screens on top anyways) and very fragile at the screen joint. You could probably have one of the many community glass guys make you some though. :2c:

The illuminated, inline pigtails arrived yesterday... and they work like a charm! :D Vape mail is the best mail. Thanks again for the link, Underdog, these babies are just what I was after. The led is bright and blue, each step in power gives a noticeable change in brightness of led.

It also confirmed something I'd noticed the last week, that being when initially turning on device it takes more than a quick click of the button and more of a momentary depression. We're talking a half second, maybe. Everything is very responsive to quick clicks after the initial power on.

The power steps seem to be small enough to be of use. I clicked down twice from 12volts and still had good results but noticeably lighter ABV. At half power my wax in aroma cup is on verge of becoming viscous, stepping up in increments I could see it become more and more fluid.

I haven't had any problems with over a hundred hours on dimmer now, it comes with a year warranty if I do. With the addition of the status light I feel very satisfied and can now feel good about recommending this setup. The colors of wire, white/red, don't match but it hasn't bothered me- it's a cord that resides on the floor, after all. If it starts to bug me or I'm bored one day maybe I'll throw some heat shrink on it, this would protect the cord but may be less pliable. Being into this about 22 bucks, with seven of that shipping, gotta say I'm pretty happy with this simple plug-and-play mod for my pup.

The illuminated pigtail. Red wire camera-side, other side's black
X2ZF78F.jpg

Hope everyone's enjoying their morning as thoroughly as I am.. easy like Sunday mornin'.. :leaf:

Awesome man, thanks for the update, glad to hear it's working out!

I've got probably 500-800 hours on my dimmer of the same make and model so I suspect you'll get a good amount of use out of it. The pigtails are also a well used part of my toolkit, glad those are working for you as well. Just as an FYI the tip color will change (between blue and red) depending on tip polarity of the wall-wart plug (not that it matters to an UD).

I like to take one of those pigtails and a Mini Dog with me when looking for junk power supplies for projects. I can go somewhere like a thrift store that has wracks of old wall-warts and plug the pigtail-Mini in and the light will show me right off the bat whether it's working or not. The Mini provides some load since sometimes a bad power supply will have enough output to light the pigtail but not push a vape. Hope that makes sense?

6079Smith

Awesome man, thanks for the update, glad to hear it's working out!

I've got probably 500-800 hours on my dimmer of the same make and model so I suspect you'll get a good amount of use out of it. The pigtails are also a well used part of my toolkit, glad those are working for you as well. Just as an FYI the tip color will change (between blue and red) depending on tip polarity of the wall-wart plug (not that it matters to an UD).

I like to take one of those pigtails and a Mini Dog with me when looking for junk power supplies for projects. I can go somewhere like a thrift store that has wracks of old wall-warts and plug the pigtail-Mini in and the light will show me right off the bat whether it's working or not. The Mini provides some load since sometimes a bad power supply will have enough output to light the pigtail but not push a vape. Hope that makes sense?

Wow, that's great to hear about the longevity of your dimmer of same make. In the back of my mind I was worried I might be recommending a POS and kept waiting for it to fail, lol. I tried to be clear throughout that I was uncertain about setup and was experimenting.

To use the log as a small load while testing makes total sense, what a smart and simple tool to take along with you on your treasure hunts! Definitely keeping this in mind and am certain it will come in handy one day- hmm, sounds like the perfect excuse for outfitting my work-truck with a dog! I always wanted a ride'a'long-pup-copilot!

Edit: a word

Last edited:

underdog

Manufacturer
Move North! North, my friends!

North is definitely one of our top options! Any suggestions on specific areas?

I was gonna vote south (but not the South) the part of the state where we get to enjoy the sun year round

Been there done that and while it was a fun adventure it's not for us in the long run. :cool:

Damn..sorry to hear about loosing the shop @underdog, how long has that been? Wishing you and underdogette the best of luck finding a new place.

It's actually been quite a while, probably a year or two ago.. damn time flies.

We may have already mentioned it back then but I don't recall. It was definitely shitty. The owner of the building took all our money, defaulted on the building to the bank (who foreclosed on it) so everything was up in the air and we had to show up each morning wondering if there'd be a lock on the door when we got there. Then to add insult to injury the owner took our deposit money and spent it on new parts for his race car instead of giving it back to us. Good times! lol

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
North is definitely on of our top options! Any suggestions on specific areas?

I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for...

I have only really really passed through and not spent much time there but Eugene, OR seems like a very friendly place to live. It is a college town and extremely liberal, so if that does not work for your disposition it might not be for you. You'd be in a place that seems very green friendly, I noticed at least a couple of glass blower outfits so there are definitely other craftsmen making neat stuff. It would probably be a real cool place to have a little storefront after you got your shop up and running.

I have previously resided near Portland for a bit of time, and that is a really cool town, definitely much larger than Eugene. If you were hoping to live in or near a decent sized city, it has lots of what you might hope to find - lots of great food, lots of interesting folks, and a plethora of retail establishments offering our favorite flower. It does not feel as much like a large city because it was built outwards, not up. Not many super tall buildings downtown, but the city seems to last a long while driving through it. If hipsters drive you crazy, you might go mad here, however it seems like folks up this way would appreciate the high quality of your art and would be likely to support a small business.

A bit further north and you'd be in Washington, which is super great as well. I really like Olympia and live 'round those parts currently. A couple hours south to visit Portland, an hour and change north to get to Seattle, it is kind of a great location.

Of course there are bunches of smaller, quainter towns all up and down Oregon and Washington, depending on what you prefer. Something out of the way in the woods? Tons of stuff like that. Little communities near the beach? Lots of that too.

I really like it up around here, you can't really go wrong. Unless you really like those long, hot, NorCal summers. In that case, lots of other options but you'd be better off heading in a different direction entirely.

Good luck finding somewhere you like!

underdog

Manufacturer
I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for...

I have only really really passed through and not spent much time there but Eugene, OR seems like a very friendly place to live. It is a college town and extremely liberal, so if that does not work for your disposition it might not be for you. You'd be in a place that seems very green friendly, I noticed at least a couple of glass blower outfits so there are definitely other craftsmen making neat stuff. It would probably be a real cool place to have a little storefront after you got your shop up and running.

I have previously resided near Portland for a bit of time, and that is a really cool town, definitely much larger than Eugene. If you were hoping to live in or near a decent sized city, it has lots of what you might hope to find - lots of great food, lots of interesting folks, and a plethora of retail establishments offering our favorite flower. It does not feel as much like a large city because it was built outwards, not up. Not many super tall buildings downtown, but the city seems to last a long while driving through it. If hipsters drive you crazy, you might go mad here, however it seems like folks up this way would appreciate the high quality of your art and would be likely to support a small business.

A bit further north and you'd be in Washington, which is super great as well. I really like Olympia and live 'round those parts currently. A couple hours south to visit Portland, an hour and change north to get to Seattle, it is kind of a great location.

Of course there are bunches of smaller, quainter towns all up and down Oregon and Washington, depending on what you prefer. Something out of the way in the woods? Tons of stuff like that. Little communities near the beach? Lots of that too.

I really like it up around here, you can't really go wrong. Unless you really like those long, hot, NorCal summers. In that case, lots of other options but you'd be better off heading in a different direction entirely.

Good luck finding somewhere you like!

Thanks indicandescent, very detailed and thoughtful post! We've actually spent quite a bit of time in Oregon both as visitors and short term residents. We haven't spent much time in Washington though and will have to look into it more. We're actually planning on going up and spending some time wandering around OR-WA looking at areas firsthand and seeing if something jumps out at us.

It's a tough search since we need enough space to run the business (the outdoor aspects like cutting/milling lumber) which preclude us from living in pretty much any 'town' area. That will probably mean we're looking at somewhat rural property outside of an agreeable town.. with the caveat of it needing to be somewhat affordable lol. :o

I'm sure we'll find our place in the world eventually it'll just take us a while.

Sorry to hear about recent difficulties with your business. I hope you get a good plan figured out.

I also recently received a new underdog. I love these things so much. I love the nylon direct draw the most.
Ah5m9xk.jpg

Another of my favorite Dogs.. I really like how that one came out. :tup:

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Good news everyone! (That was my Prof. Farnsworth from Futurama voice in case anyone missed it) :)

We got our woven patches in today- check it out:

2gwdvs3.jpg

Available on the website now: http://underdogvapes.com/wovenpatch

We've also put our stickers back on the website for anyone who has more things they need to cover in UD Love. ;)

24zhqiw.jpg

http://underdogvapes.com/stickers

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Good news everyone! (That was my Prof. Farnsworth from Futurama voice in case anyone missed it) :)

We got our woven patches in today- check it out:

2gwdvs3.jpg

Available on the website now: http://underdogvapes.com/wovenpatch

We've also put our stickers back on the website for anyone who has more things they need to cover in UD Love. ;)

24zhqiw.jpg

http://underdogvapes.com/stickers
Dave, you put the swag in swagger, brother!

Edit: :lmao:Just saw Dave didn't even post this, my apologies. We know who really runs the show anyways. :rofl:

Last edited:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Thanks indicandescent, very detailed and thoughtful post! We've actually spent quite a bit of time in Oregon both as visitors and short term residents. We haven't spent much time in Washington though and will have to look into it more. We're actually planning on going up and spending some time wandering around OR-WA looking at areas firsthand and seeing if something jumps out at us.

It's a tough search since we need enough space to run the business (the outdoor aspects like cutting/milling lumber) which preclude us from living in pretty much any 'town' area. That will probably mean we're looking at somewhat rural property outside of an agreeable town.. with the caveat of it needing to be somewhat affordable lol. :o

I'm sure we'll find our place in the world eventually it'll just take us a while.

Another of my favorite Dogs.. I really like how that one came out. :tup:
Check out the town of Sandy OR. Just got back from a week there. Beautiful small town. Lots of land for your shop and close to Mt. Hood. Lots of great hiking, if that's what you're into.

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Check out the town of Sandy OR. Just got back from a week there. Beautiful small town. Lots of land for your shop and close to Mt. Hood. Lots of great hiking, if that's what you're into.

You know, some friends of ours in Portland said we should check out Sandy too. Thanks for that- we'll definitely put it at the top of our list.

6079Smith

Spoiled my pup a bit of late.. easy to do when your faithful companion never lets you down during your countless strolls together.

In addition to the recent remote set-up, which I'm still very happy with, for some time I've been watching the classifieds like a hawk for some of Ed's stems and/or adapters. Ideally, both. This week I got lucky and pounced on a trifecta of goodness at a great price :)

NzSFaVM.jpg

I love my nylon stems but also have an affinity toward wood and even better, with these being Ed's basket tip, they offer a bit different experience than the oem tip. I would have been happy with either. The maple pairs well with the myrtle and who doesn't like cocobolo?

Gave the whole kit a nice rubdown. I ran out of butter recently and I've taken to mixing up micro batches in the aroma cup, it's perfect for mixing the wax and mineral oil. This time I added mct oil, I already had it on hand and read recently that it is effective and does not go rancid like most other fats. A couple of aroma cups worth filled my small tin again, good to go for a while.

NickDlow

Log Hog
Spoiled my pup a bit of late.. easy to do when your faithful companion never lets you down during your countless strolls together.

In addition to the recent remote set-up, which I'm still very happy with, for some time I've been watching the classifieds like a hawk for some of Ed's stems and/or adapters. Ideally, both. This week I got lucky and pounced on a trifecta of goodness at a great price :)

NzSFaVM.jpg

I love my nylon stems but also have an affinity toward wood and even better, with these being Ed's basket tip, they offer a bit different experience than the oem tip. I would have been happy with either. The maple pairs well with the myrtle and who doesn't like cocobolo?

Gave the whole kit a nice rubdown. I ran out of butter recently and I've taken to mixing up micro batches in the aroma cup, it's perfect for mixing the wax and mineral oil. This time I added mct oil, I already had it on hand and read recently that it is effective and does not go rancid like most other fats. A couple of aroma cups worth filled my small tin again, good to go for a while.

I almost jumped on those myself. Glad to see they're in a nice collection. Enjoy my friend.

Top Bottom