To Any Scotch or Bourbon drinkers.....

lwien

So recently, I started getting into single malt scotches, not to get drunk or even buzzed, but just to put a shot into a new Glencairn Whisky Glass that I just got and just sip it and smell it for an hour or so. I don't think I've ever used my sense of smell like this before. It's almost better than sipping it. If ya haven't tried it, while vaped.............you gotta.

Sidebar: If ya don't like gettin' the munchies late at night and getting fucking fat (like I did at one time, ok maybe more than once), then for some odd reason, nursing and smellin' a shot of whisky totally keeps those munchies at bay. This would make sense if what you were smelling smelled like shit, but that liquid in that glass when I'm vaped, smells really, really good.

Of course this is exactly what I'm doin' as I'm posting this. :razz:

djonkoman

at home I almost never drink(if I drink just one glass, wch I would, I fall asleep easily with the tv still on), but at the bar I sometimes order whiskey(whisky? can't keep them apart, but I mean the version from ireland or scotland), since I don't drink often I don't know that much, but one that I order sometimes is tullamore dew, and with that I also like to sniff it a lot while taking tiny sips.

djonkoman,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Many of my friends are into single malts, as am I, and none of us drink them to get drunk or buzzed.* It is just as you describe, a smell and taste experience. I'll make a shot (well, a double usually) of something like The Glenlivet Nadurra last a whole evening. I'll sip just enough to get the flavour, barely a drop on the tongue.

I'm not sure how you drink yours, but putting ice in is sacrilege, and it will kill a lot of flavour and odour. Some people feel that water is acceptable (I don't) but again you're reducing the intensity of the flavour. The best way to get the most from your single malt is to add a single drop of water. This releases and opens up the aroma and flavour.

* I'm almost the same age as you. Getting buzzed or drunk is, I think, a young person's game. I drink for two reasons: one, my cardiologist prescribed one drink a day (liquor or wine) to help keep my cholesterol levels in check; and two, I like the taste.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Not sure if you've already tried it, but you can freeze one of your steele concept cubes and use that as a whisk(e?)y stone :tup:.

Yes you can, but the reason for avoiding ice is not the dilution, it's that chilling kills the flavour and aroma. This is why brandy snifters have that bulbous shape. It's meant to be cradled in your hands so that your body heat hands can warm up the brandy and enhance the aroma and taste. I like to use a miniature snifter for my Scotch for the same reason.

Edit: D'oh!

that herb guy

Yes you can, but the reason for avoiding ice is not the dilution, it's that chilling kills the flavour and aroma. This is why brandy snifters have that bulbous shape. It's meant to be cradled in your hands so that your body heat can warm up the brandy and enhance the aroma and taste. I like to use a miniature snifter for my Scotch for the same reason.

:shrug: Maybe I haven't been in the game long enough, or the environment is different (basically it's hot as heck out here all year long). Usually I'll throw the glass I'll be drinking with in the freezer a couple of hours before hand and yes, it's milder than a warm glass but IMO preferable under the right circumstances.

Who knows, year or two down the line I might be kicking myself for this post but just for the sake of what I'm doing now I thought I'd throw it out there.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
:shrug: Maybe I haven't been in the game long enough, or the environment is different (basically it's hot as heck out here all year long). Usually I'll throw the glass I'll be drinking with in the freezer a couple of hours before hand and yes, it's milder than a warm glass but IMO preferable under the right circumstances.

Who knows, year or two down the line I might be kicking myself for this post but just for the sake of what I'm doing now I thought I'd throw it out there.

You might, but everyone is different. Scotch is an acquired taste. Some people need to get used to it gradually, so taming it down with cold is a way to do that. Maybe you'll decide that chilled is the way you'll always prefer it. When I said putting ice in Scotch is sacrilege, I was just expressing a sentiment widely held by Scotch snobs (that would be me). It doesn't mean it's always right. If you do it, however, we will have to burn you at the stake.

Tweek

Since Bourbon was mentioned as well, and I am a Bourbon drinker, I will add that is perfectly acceptable to add a splash of water to open up the flavor of Bourbon. Traditionally this is known as a Bourbon & Branch.

I am one of the sacrilegious who adds an ice cube and I'm ok with that :D

Your Highness

Cannasseur
This thread is fascinating. Looks like I will be heading doing to the liquor store for a taste. This seems like something I could totally enjoy.

No ice, no water. Just......neat.

Btw, I didn't think that a glass would make a difference, but it can make a HUGE difference. If you and nose your whisky through a standard tumbler, you gotta try the Glencairn glass. It truly changes everything. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencairn_whisky_glass

Trying different scotches. First try was Glennlevit 12. That was my break-in, get acquainted with scotch bottle. Now trying Highland 12. Amazing. They're all different.

It's really a lot of fun. I never used my sense of smell like this before. And trying out different single malts. It's really an adventure. And yeah, single malts are kind of expensive, but if ya nose and sip a nursed shot for an hour or two, for me, a 750mil bottle lasts me about a month, kinda like using my PD. lol

ok 2 glasses ordered from Amazon. Now all I need is a bottle and a friend to share with. But I'm sure I will do fine all by myself as that is how it usually is. Too bad more people can't be into things Ike vaping, single malts and nice bongs. Weirdos if you ask me!

Thanks again to my FC brethdren with another awesome idea to try out...I will be reporting back.

lwien

Btw, I didn't think that a glass would make a difference, but it can make a HUGE difference. If you and nose your whisky through a standard tumbler, you gotta try the Glencairn glass. It truly changes everything. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencairn_whisky_glass

Trying different scotches. First try was Glennlevit 12. That was my break-in, get acquainted with scotch bottle. Now trying Highland 12. Amazing. They're all different.

This thread is fascinating. Looks like I will be heading doing to the liquor store for a taste. This seems like something I could totally enjoy.

It's really a lot of fun. I never used my sense of smell like this before. And trying out different single malts. It's really an adventure. And yeah, single malts are kind of expensive, but if ya nose and sip a nursed shot for an hour or two, for me, a 750mil bottle lasts me about a month, kinda like using my PD. lol

I drink for two reasons: one, my cardiologist prescribed one drink a day (liquor or wine) to help keep my cholesterol levels in check; and two, I like the taste.

That's the exact reason I'm started. My cholesterol is in great shape, except my HDL's. I've done everything I can to try to get it up, from exercise to diet, to niacin, etc etc, but nothing works. Can't seem to get that puppy above 36. Heard that a shot or two of whisky or a glass or two of wine every night or so can have just as much of impact on HDL's as exercise, so I thought I'd give it a shot (pardon the pun), but what I wasn't expecting was how pleasurable this was all going to be.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Since Bourbon was mentioned as well, and I am a Bourbon drinker, I will add that is perfectly acceptable to add a splash of water to open up the flavor of Bourbon. Traditionally this is known as a Bourbon & Branch.

I am one of the sacrilegious who adds an ice cube and I'm ok with that :D

Bah! Who cares what you do with Bourbon? :p

Bourbon is too sweet for my taste. I like Canadian rye neat, which despite the name is also basically a corn whisky*, but Bourbon just puts me off. I also like Irish whiskey.* Any age of Bushmill's is good. The problem with Irish whiskey is that it sneaks up on you. It's the smoothest of all because by law it's triple distilled where most Scotch and others are only distilled twice.

* In general but not always, it's Canadian and Scotch whisky/whiskies, and Irish and American whiskey/whiskeys.

That's the exact reason I'm started. My cholesterol is in great shape, except my HDL's. I've done everything I can to try to get it up, from exercise to diet, to niacin, etc etc, but nothing works. Can't seem to get that puppy above 36. Heard that a shot or two of whisky or a glass or two of wine every night or so can have just as much of impact on HDL's as exercise, so I thought I'd give it a shot (pardon the pun), but what I wasn't expecting was how pleasurable this was all going to be.

Neat is the only way. The glass I like to use has a similar shape but doesn't have the extended upper portion. Mine truly is a miniature snifter.

My first single malt was also The Glenlivet 12. That was 40 years ago and I've lost count of the single malts I've tried but that's still my favourite. I've also had The Glenlivet 15 and The Glenlivet Nadurra (16 y/o) recently. If you liked the 12, you'll like these too, provided you don't mind the price. The Glenlivet gets progressively smoother as it ages, as you would expect, but I still wind up with the 12 as my favourite.

I just finished a bottle of Highland Park 15 a couple of days ago. It's a much peatier whisky, with a heavier flavour and nose. Also pricey, but like you I use it so sparingly that a bottle seems to last forever.

The idea that a little alcohol daily helps isn't a myth. When my cardiologist made that recommendation I was already eating properly, exercising regularly, and was in shape typical of men 20 years younger than me, so he said it was the only thing that would help.

lwien

So I've tried Glenlevit 12..........liked a lot. Now trying Highland Park 12.

The following is on my list to try next:

Dalmore 12
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Laphroaig 10 (which I've heard is REALLY unique)
MaCallan 12
Glenlivet 15

This takes me out to about 6 months........... :)

But yeah, for me Bourbon is a bit too sweet and "thick" as compared to single malt scotches.

Tweek

Glenlivet is indeed quite nice. The 15 will knock your socks off IMO. There are Bourbons out there with stronger characteristics...more smoke and less sweet, etc. I will see if I can do a little list for anyone interested in trying. But yes, they do have a sweet edge overall which I enjoy.

Tweek,
Reactions: BD9

lwien

Was also going to try some good aged dark rums like:

Cruzan Single Barrel Rum
Pyrat XO Reserve Rum
and Ron Abuelo 12 yr.

Never sipped quality rum before but thinking about giving it a shot. On the other hand, if Bourbon's not my thing because it's a bit too thick and sweet, rum may be out of the ballpark for me.

Tweek

Yeah, if you are not a fan of sweet...rum might not be your thing. You could always try out a Tawny Port...those can be quite nice with complex flavors. Not sweet like the the ruby's.

that herb guy

If you do it, however, we will have to burn you at the stake.

I thought this sight was called fuck combustion :p.

Honestly if I'm going for taste I more frequently buy a decent 4/6 pack of beer. Dogfish head ftw.

+1 for both of the Glen's (livet and fiddich) though. That, or a nice bottle of crown black and I am set for a week or so.

SD_haze

I'm not against adding a dash of non-tap water to bring a scotch down to ~70proof
Kind of similar to vaping through water; a little less intense, but cleaner flavor.

lwien

Yup. Cigars and a good cognac go sooooo well together. Quit smoking cigars about 8 years ago, but man, a good cuban Cristo with a snifter of Louis Royer, and I was in heaven, especially after a good Rib Eye along with a nice Cab for dinner....:mmmm:

No more tobacco and steak for me though. Trying to live a healthier life, but, but............ :ugh:

Was also going to try some good aged dark rums like:

Cruzan Single Barrel Rum
Pyrat XO Reserve Rum
and Ron Abuelo 12 yr.

Never sipped quality rum before but thinking about giving it a shot. On the other hand, if Bourbon's not my thing because it's a bit too thick and sweet, rum may be out of the ballpark for me.

Some dark rums that I truly enjoy are Appleton 12yr, El Dorado 12yr and Flora De Cana for a light-colored rum. Also have a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Solero. As for Scotch, I only have one bottle and it's McCallan 12yr. At the moment, I'm enjoying bourbon in all its forms: old, young, wheated, rye, blended, etc. . . I currently have Old Weller Antique, WL Weller 12yr, Rittenhouse, Sazerac Rye, Four Roses Singal Barrel and a few others. Grab a bottle for $20-$30 and do a little tasting ;)

Tweek

Yup. Cigars and a good cognac go sooooo well together. Quit smoking cigars about 8 years ago, but man, a good cuban Cristo with a snifter of Louis Royer, and I was in heaven, especially after a good Rib Eye along with a nice Cab for dinner....:mmmm:

No more tobacco and steak for me though. Trying to live a healthier life, but, but............ :ugh:

Oh man...a nice Rib Eye...my favourite cut...another homer face because this thread deserves it :mmmm:

My wife got me some stemless wine glasses and I really like drinking Scotch out of those. I guess its a stemless snifter if you think about it. Im gettin a drink.

I use those as well...they work quite nice I find.

Top Bottom