Discontinued ThermoVape

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Well how about this, how does the harshness and temp compare to some other vapes you have used?
Perhaps someone else could jump in here as I am not a real purist in that regard. I can say I like the sweet taste it offers. But I also like my Bulli, IO or even my VG. I go for what's convenient and fits my lifestyle. And of course reliable. From reading this device is great as far as purists opinions.
Pipes

Pipes,

pecosthecat

I think my switch might have been affected by this problem. Before the unit entirely packed up, I think it was cutting in and out because I could not get good heat for nice thick vapor. I'll ask the guys at Thermovape if they want to old switch back.

Great news, thanks for passing the good word.

Any idea what happened with the switch? There was a problem early on with debris shaved off in pressing the contacts in getting trapped inside the switch causing trouble later on, but long ago they changed the process to address this. Is the dead one going back for analysis?

OF

pecosthecat,
Reactions: OF

poonman

He didn't say switch unless that is part of the spring. So I guess the switch can be boiled as well but what do I know. I am still confused.

Hey Dreamerr ,
Have you checked out their Alpha Ultra-lite ?
There's a thread for that , it looks promising too , except it looks like it uses different batteries though .
How goes your shopping list ? so far .

poonman,

OF

I think my switch might have been affected by this problem. Before the unit entirely packed up, I think it was cutting in and out because I could not get good heat for nice thick vapor. I'll ask the guys at Thermovape if they want to old switch back.

Yup, that sounds like mine was when it died for the debris reason. Stuff drifting around inside.

Hey Dreamerr ,
There's a thread for that , it looks promising too , except it looks like it uses different batteries though .

Yup, little bitty ones are all that will fit....

This means marginal performance with Revolution/DART (maybe two dozen hits if you're good) and no chance with Evolution. IMO the Ultra isn't all that much bigger, and the 15500 is a much better battery for our uses. Both are worth consideration.

OF

OF,
Reactions: poonman

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Hey Dreamerr ,

It looks like that is for liquids. I don't have any liquids easily available to me nor to I have the strength to make any or the know how. I am going to call TV on Monday and put an order in but don't have a complete list as of yet. Maybe with all your help I will have a list by the end of the weekend. I do really like that inhalator on the other thread but most of you haven't tried it yet. I love that you can make the T1 into an evolution if you so choose to get longer battery life and the no stir if you want that.

Dreamerr,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So after seeing my friend use his newer T1 last night I think the difference in hole patterns made a pretty big difference. With my cap I suck in stuff that is ground. I have to use broken by hand. With his cap ground bud works just fine allowing him to pull harder.

Tim can you let me know if I'm right in thinking the caps were updated at some point?

darkrom,

PB88123

Vaporist
So after seeing my friend use his newer T1 last night I think the difference in hole patterns made a pretty big difference. With my cap I suck in stuff that is ground. I have to use broken by hand. With his cap ground bud works just fine allowing him to pull harder.

Tim can you let me know if I'm right in thinking the caps were updated at some point?

From the video Tim just posted here is how the new top cap holes look.

73jIC.png

and here is the old one.

gsQX9.png

OF

From the video Tim just posted here is how the new top cap holes look.

and here is the old one. I just took it. (a little dirty)

Very interesting. Looks like the same pattern, minus the five in the center? I wonder if the holes are the same size? Why the change? If it works better for some reason, perhaps we could explore that with some broken off toothpick tips?

OF

OF,

aj0125

I am still in the test phase of my relationship with my T1 and while I like it I am having some mixed results. I am filling the bowl about halfway and am using a medium grind, stirring after each hit. I find that often I have small black spots on the bottom of my blend even after stirring after each hit and am having trouble getting the blend to cook evenly even with stirring each time. I have been trying to hit it like people say to on the forum. I feel like I am inhaling as fast as I can(so it doesn't burn) while still getting vapor but I don't know...any suggestions are appreciated. Also, is it normal to get maybe only half a bowl on a set of batteries? Is it normal for the switch(with the spring around it) to be quite loose in its black casing? Thanks again for all the help guys:)

aj0125,

OF

I am filling the bowl about halfway and am using a medium grind, stirring after each hit. I find that often I have small black spots on the bottom of my blend even after stirring after each hit and am having trouble getting the blend to cook evenly even with stirring each time.

Also, is it normal to get maybe only half a bowl on a set of batteries? Is it normal for the switch(with the spring around it) to be quite loose in its black casing?

In backwards order, yes the switch contacts need to 'float' inside the housing so they can make a firm contact, quite normal.

Try a fine grind. This is a convection vape, only surface exposed to the hot air will vape. Only part of the load is exposed, at the bottom, near the holes, only a small percentage is, as you go higher, the air paths spread out and the flow is more uniform you're basically using the less random part, a fuller load would also help in both volume and uniformity. The overheated bits come from being directly above a hole. If you let it go (don't mix) these lead to 'chimneys' of over done herb forming hit after hit. The shrink back of material only opens the channel up so the chimney gets wider and the condition worse.

With reasonable skills, good material and a little luck you should be able to easily do a full bowl on a set of batteries. OTOH, you can also run a pair into the mud without any vapor to show for it. 3 steps: Preheat, draw to working temperature, hit it like you mean it. Do 3 separate steps, don't cheat or rush it, you'll sort it out. Don't sweat battery life until you do. As Tim advised 'let it run' at step 1 until you're sure it's at full temperature (and maybe run it a few seconds longer yet to be sure), then and only then start the warm up pull without worrying about getting vapor (use 'test puffs' to sample until you do, the end of step 2), then dump what you have in your lungs and take a real, full, hit. Don't try to count the wimpy stuff you get working up to a positive test puff. After you sort it out, you can fine tune your technique to get faster hits using less battery.

Practice, practice, practice.

OF

OF

So, when you are taking a full, long hit do you keep the switch on the whole time or turn it on and off?

Leave it on the whole time. We need to use power faster than the heater can make it. That's why you need to store heat in step 1 and keep step 2 going at a good clip (I figure maybe 15 or so seconds to fill your lungs kind of rate to start?) in order to have all the heat you need for a solid hit. If you don't get a good test puff witin about 30 seconds (say two tries) shut down and restart with step one all over again. IMO new guys are too shy about putting heat in, it doesn't bite you or wreck the unit (like I first thought), Tim is absolutely right when he advised me '...let it run, we make tough heaters here'. Don't be shy.

I figure maybe 30 seconds total for a typical hit? The battery should be good for about 6 minutes (1/10 hour), say a dozen such hits?

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OF I'm under the impression that the holes in the new layout allow less bud to be sucked into your mouth. It sure seems that way when my buddy hits it with a finely ground up batch and really rips on it. If I do that I eat lots of crumbs.

darkrom,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I noticed that pattern change as well and also there has been a change in the bowl holes IIRC as well. I think it may be to help even out the air flow away from the centre. Avoiding a more single centre air stream making stirring more critical.? Just a thought.
Pipes

Pipes,

poonman

I noticed that pattern change as well and also there has been a change in the bowl holes IIRC as well. I think it may be to help even out the air flow away from the centre. Avoiding a more single centre air stream making stirring more critical.? Just a thought.
Pipes

Would you recommend inserting a screen inside the cooking chamber and/or one screen in the
mouthpiece cap also ? Maybe extra fine screens like the NO2 screens ?
To prevent debris from getting/dropping thru and for easier cleaning :)

poonman,

OF

OF I'm under the impression that the holes in the new layout allow less bud to be sucked into your mouth.

Interesting. Did you try it as well? If it does turn out that most of the debris comes through the center perhaps we can test that out with some toothpick ends as plugs? Should be easy enough to push them out from the other side with a needle when the test is done?

I guess I missed the bowl change, I can see that changing the 'chimney effect' but can't see how changes at the top would. In my testing I noticed the flues seem to form first at the bottom and are worse there. If you carefully dump the load out as a lump you can pick through it you know. Something pretty sick about messing with it at that level trying to understand, but I could have worse afflictions I guess?

Would you recommend inserting a screen inside the cooking chamber and/or one screen in the

I routinely use a fine 5/8 screen on top of the load. It's small enough to fit completely inside the rim of the bowl and seems to rotate a bit presenting fresh areas to the holes above. I grind fine and find this keeps the draw easier and the holes cleaner.

Yes, I recommend that much. I don't worry about stuff that gets itself into the firey furnace below, it's strictly on it's own down there. What little survives will get boiled out someday. Maybe.

Edit: Being basically lazy I run a series of them (maybe a dozen) through the T1 putting the used ones in a little jar until I have enough to make cleaning worth while. Since they're SS I grab my trusty torch lighter and 'flame' them clean outside then put them in the 'to be used' pile. It takes months of use sometimes to fill that jar up if I get distracted on say DART......

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If your having problems with it. Like with too fine of herb.
Use OF's recommendation. 5/8" ss screen which is slightly smaller then the bowl lip. Do not want to scratch the bowl. Helps to agitate the herb while twisting and shaking as well.
I have found if herb is a medium grind there is no problems with this.

Pipes

Pipes,

jpdnkstr

Interesting. Did you try it as well? If it does turn out that most of the debris comes through the center perhaps we can test that out with some toothpick ends as plugs? Should be easy enough to push them out from the other side with a needle when the test is done?

I guess I missed the bowl change, I can see that changing the 'chimney effect' but can't see how changes at the top would. In my testing I noticed the flues seem to form first at the bottom and are worse there. If you carefully dump the load out as a lump you can pick through it you know. Something pretty sick about messing with it at that level trying to understand, but I could have worse afflictions I guess?

I routinely use a fine 5/8 screen on top of the load. It's small enough to fit completely inside the rim of the bowl and seems to rotate a bit presenting fresh areas to the holes above. I grind fine and find this keeps the draw easier and the holes cleaner.

Yes, I recommend that much. I don't worry about stuff that gets itself into the firey furnace below, it's strictly on it's own down there. What little survives will get boiled out someday. Maybe.

OF
I should be getting a T1 soon, and love the pointers from a pro like OF! I can't wait to be vaping flowers again!

OF

I should be getting a T1 soon, and love the pointers from a pro like OF! I can't wait to be vaping flowers again!

"A pro like OF"? That kinda tickles me..... If you could get paid for this I'd never have retired. Makes you wonder if Tim can deduct his oil expenses for 'professional reasons'? It a just world, we all could I guess. Hey, I've got a note from the Doctor.....

I'm also kinda tickled to pass on what works for me and what doesn't in the hopes not everyone has to make the same mistakes I did.

But I agree with you. Oil is nice and all for getting the dose delivered, but fine bud is a treat to savor sometimes. When the time comes for that, T1 is hard to beat for sure.

Bet you enjoy yours once you get the hang of it.

Best wishes.

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Opps, posted before I wrote anything.
This is the change I remember seeing. Knew I wasn't going nuts.

ThermoVapeHeaterCore-2T.jpg
tv1_bowl3.jpg

Pipes

Pipes,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Opps, posted before I wrote anything.
This is the change I remember seeing. Knew I wasn't going nuts.
ThermoVapeHeaterCore-2.jpg

I found this picture from the current PuffIfUp website. Must be an old pic but as you can see has less holes?? So they increased the holes in the heater and took some away from mouthpiece. Perhaps Tim could explain the reasons.

Pipes

Theres supposed to be more holes than that?

darkrom,

TonyBlaze

Is there a set of 7.4v batteries that work with the TV or is that not possible? Like what G is doing with the Hercules cart and would like to get it when it comes out. I just remember him saying its works with 6v but not like it does at 7.4

TonyBlaze,
Top Bottom