Discontinued ThermoVape

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm waitin on the new technology

I want to but I think I can spend $25 or so for like 8 batteries. Maybe by the time those die out the new stuff will be out. If not another $25 is ok. Its $25 for months of on the go vapor. I want the 18650 to work as bad or more than the next guy, but I will consider this the best portable herb vape (that I've had the luxury of using) to date for me personally. I'm very happy with it, but there are absolutely no doubts that I'd be happier with better battery life. I'd be ok with the same vape 2x the size for better battery life honestly! Maybe even a bit bigger. Solo sized device but with TV quality? The TV "big boy" haha. Now you've got me wanting...

I want to but I think I can spend $25 or so for like 8 batteries. Maybe by the time those die out the new stuff will be out. If not another $25 is ok. Its $25 for months of on the go vapor. I want the 18650 to work as bad or more than the next guy, but I will consider this the best portable herb vape (that I've had the luxury of using) to date for me personally. I'm very happy with it, but there are absolutely no doubts that I'd be happier with better battery life. I'd be ok with the same vape 2x the size for better battery life honestly! Maybe even a bit bigger. Solo sized device but with TV quality? The TV "big boy" haha. Now you've got me wanting...
Yeah i definitely would have been ok with it being bigger for more battery life

Futuretvowner,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
When it's all said and done, we early fortunate ones, will still have our LifePo4's as the secondary backups when we inevitably run through even the more robust arsenal of battery technology. For personal sessions, they will always be suitable and a good hedge on running through the new ones, no?

PhreedomPhries,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
not to mention several of the other vapor pens that take batteries can run with the 3.0v lifepo4, for the 6v option... or another approach, there are other vapor tops that can be used w/ the TV 6v set up, with adapters... so it's not just one or the other. If you only have the T1, you can unscrew the bowl, and there is a 510 connection in there, so it can be used for other tops. It just might look a little funny, but who cares if you are trying to save money? Right now, the main limitation for variable voltage use, is the 18650 size battery. I do believe if you are using a high enough ohm cart you can use 2x 3.7v stacked to get 7.4 with the T1 body, but that is not good to use with the T1 core (just so we are clear).

So what I am saying is, just because the T1 core is limited to the lifepo4 at this time, doesn't mean your entire T1 unit is not worth having for other uses. The fact that if you want to add or switch things up later on, is a huge plus, and the other fact that the body is so basic in function, there is little to break, so it will last a long time. All good reasons to have the T1 or other TV products, even if they don't quite meet up to your vaping standards as is... at this time.

another good use for the T1 body w/ insulated interface... found the top here: http://vapormoon.com/Saber_Flashlight.html available in 3.7v or 6v. I used a 510-510 adapter to extend the threads on the flashlight head, they are pretty low profile. Might not quite fit down in the T1 head with out a couple of stacked adapters. Please be careful using adapters, they have a tendency to cause things to short out from time to time. You've been warned...

mLutZ.jpg

QSVam.jpg

9Pk1w.jpg

darkrom

Great Scott!
TV what do you think about this flashlight? I've been interested in doing this for a while now. I need a new flashlight too. Will this void my warranty? Would there be problems with that setup? I want to do it but I'm not ready to risk the TV for a flashlight. Otherwise that is amazing.

darkrom,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I've no idea what their target numbers are, but generally you want Warranty Returns in the few percent at most level. Such 'free' support is really very very expensive typically. A single return can wipe out the profit from dozens and dozens of good units. I've seen companies go down at 10%.

I think we all understand you're way out there all right, marching to your own drummer, looking for the special edge.....which is cool and as you state not for everyone. Go for it Pipes. Like they say on Star Trek......

Question everything, stay curious.

OF
Yeah I know, if a company had a 10% warranty return they would find themselves in big trouble. I was in the service end of Sony for years and I know they liked their returns under the 1% mark. They got very pissy if returns got over 2% and red flags would go up. The sales budget for service was between 2-3% of gross sales.

When you say way out there, hope that's not in left field. Then again, there lots of room out here. Sent the drummer home as he was giving me a headache. I do enjoy experimentation although my methods may be a little bumpy and sometimes completely wrong, I usually get the desired results in the end. I have always been the type that thinks he can do better and always willing to give it a try. I know it's not particularly a desirable trait. But have fun along the way.

My phaser is always just set to stun.

Pipes:p

Pipes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
OOH, FLASHLIGHTS! My other secret hobby. I have a FourSevens Quark 123^2 tactical flashlight which I love. It puts out 360 lumens with a single LED on max, which is absolutely stupid bright (maglites are ~ 50 lumens for comparison).

Very similar in size to the TV of course, and it runs off my Tenergys which is actually why I bought it.. so I have a purpose for my "retired" batteries from the TV!

Quark-123-2-a21.JPG

I love it like I love my ThermoVape, because of it's high quality construction and all around coolness. Nothing but the best :) I would be interested in purchasing a flashlight head for my TV if it was ever available.

Peloton,
Reactions: darkrom

jambandphan03

in flavor country
haha, you can use the vape, then quickly switch to the flashlight to see how big of a hit you just took :rofl:

jambandphan03,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Won't they just say WTF is this loose mouthpiece for?

I believe the purpose is to carry it with the flashlight head on to explain the device itself, chargers etc. And carry the remaining pieces of your ThermoVape cleaned and disassembled, jumbled in with other small items to hopefully avoid attention. This is what some people do with e-cigs anyway.

TSA and other forces can get a little worked up when you're carrying some metal contraption they don't quite understand (such as an ecigarette, or in their mind a potential bomb), so carrying it assembled as a flashlight can be another measure taken to avoid detection. Yes it's not exactly foolproof and it works better with small ecig parts instead of a T1 heater core, but you get the idea right?

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
I'm sorry, but I must return to a point regarding three coils. If the battery delivery is a constant at 6v, wouldn't simply adding a third coil of equal length and gauge as that of the first two simply disperse that same available 6v of current over three coils instead of two? Or will it rather suck power from the cells at a 3/2 rate as compared to at present? That is what I remain confused about. I know when one coil fails, the other does not get fired twice as intensely to compensate, but what does happen to that 6v of current, when there is only one coil to deliver it to? And what, likewise, would happen to that 6v current with a third coil rated at two ohms added? Will it increase the overall delivery of heat, or just disperse it like I was originally thinking? The reason it seems to stand to reason that the heat would be dispersed and not fire the coils as intensely, is because if I consider what would happen if I were to attach the SV evo to the LV 3.7v battery, I would imagine the result is that the higher resistance of the SV core prevents it from firing to full intensity, no? Wouldn't adding a third 2 ohm coil to a T1 core essentially be adding more resistance to the 6v of current? I suppose this would result in longer warm-up times, akin to the evo, which would in turn drain the batteries.

That aside, new core is in hand, and delivering sweet rips of mellow gold.

PhreedomPhries,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Any chance you have an ohm meter around?
If you have a 3rd coil the same as the other two it will measure around .7 ohm. You would need to make sure you zero the meter with test leads shorted first. (At this low of resistance leads can make a huge difference.) For sure you should be aware of what load you have there.
Pipes

Pipes,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Any chance you have an ohm meter around?
If you have a 3rd coil the same as the other two it will measure around .7 ohm. You would need to make sure you zero the meter with test leads shorted first. (At this low of resistance leads can make a huge difference.) For sure you should be aware of what load you have there.
Pipes
I do not have an ohm meter. I based my 2 ohm statement based on what you stated the ohm resistance is on those coils a page or two back. Other than that, I unfortunately cannot say.

PhreedomPhries,

OF

I'm sorry, but I must return to a point regarding three coils. If the battery delivery is a constant at 6v, wouldn't simply adding a third coil of equal length and gauge as that of the first two simply disperse that same available 6v of current over three coils instead of two? Or will it rather suck power from the cells at a 3/2 rate as compared to at present? That is what I remain confused about. I know when one coil fails, the other does not get fired twice as intensely to compensate, but what does happen to that 6v of current, when there is only one coil to deliver it to? And what, likewise, would happen to that 6v current with a third coil rated at two ohms added? Will it increase the overall delivery of heat, or just disperse it like I was originally thinking? The reason it seems to stand to reason that the heat would be dispersed and not fire the coils as intensely, is because if I consider what would happen if I were to attach the SV evo to the LV 3.7v battery, I would imagine the result is that the higher resistance of the SV core prevents it from firing to full intensity, no? Wouldn't adding a third 2 ohm coil to a T1 core essentially be adding more resistance to the 6v of current? I suppose this would result in longer warm-up times, akin to the evo, which would in turn drain the batteries.

That aside, new core is in hand, and delivery sweet rips of mellow gold.

OK, where to start.....

Voltage is a pressure, not a current. What the Europeans call 'tension' (we sometimes refer to 'high tension' lines, meaning high voltage, not that they are tighter than others). Current is something different than pressure it's a more or less orderly flow of electrons. Water systems are a good analogy. You have pressure difference (measured in pounds per square inch) and flow rates (in gallons per minute). Entirely different measures, done in different units but related. Higher pressure (voltage) gives us a higher flow rate (current). We could invent a unit to relate these two to each other, something in "gallons per minute divided pounds per square inch". Electricity is like that, that's what Ohm's law is all about.

It relates the pressure in Volts (a fundamental unit of measure actually, electromotive force is like length it's not derived from other units like most are). Current is an actual number of electrons (6 with 18 zeros in fact) past a point in a second, this is the Ampere. One Ohm will cause one Amp to flow when pushed by one Volt. The same load (one Ohm) will pass 2 Amps with two Volts and so on. Power, measured in Watts, is something else, it's Volts times Amps. So in the first case we have one Watt, but doubling the Voltage also doubled the current, now we have (2 X 2) four Watts.

Now to simple circuits. What we have is a parallel circuit. There is more than one possible path (two coils) for any individual electron to take, but it can only go through one or the other. Obvious (to us today) the current from the battery has to split at the junction into two groups of electrons (say left and right?) only to join up again on the other side. Like a river flowing around an island. This is clear to us, but it was profound enough for Norton to get his name in the textbooks for the next 400 years or so....

Your house is a parallel circuit too. Every time you plug something new in it too becomes a possible path for current (and therefore power use). Like everything else in the kitchen it's power use is added to the total. Your bill goes up accordingly. That's what happens if you add a third element to the two already there. Same voltage as before, half again more current now flowing through the new element. 50% increase in power all else being equal. So TV will no doubt cut the wire size in the coils down, increasing the resistance for the same length, decreasing the current therefore keeping the total the same (roughly five Amps for T1).

Or so.

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If you have a third standard coil your going to have one hell of a brute there.
Yes, in theory it will be 33% hotter. Hold back on the reins as it should require some technique change.??
Good stuff,
Pipes

Bart

I insist you go out and immediatly buy a 13 dollar digital multimeter.
How in the hell can you know what's going on with your batteries if you dont have a multi meter.
Lithium batteries of any chemistry are dangerous if not monitored. Look up exploding lithium batteries.
Know your batteries. Test your batteries

Bart,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
How in the hell can you know what's going on with your batteries if you dont have a multi meter.
Lithium batteries of any chemistry are dangerous if not monitored. Look up exploding lithium batteries.
Oh, my voltage meter will also measure ohm? I did not realize this. :ugh: So where/what then do I connect the probes to to test ohm ratings??

PhreedomPhries,

I do not monitor the batteries for my TV at all... neither do most people.... is this dangerous?

Futuretvowner,

Bart

Does it have a setting that looks sorta like a horseshoe. If so set dial and touch leads to zero devise then hit post and base of Cart to check ohms. Don't check ohms of batteries. No good.

Check an ecig forum and search lithium battery explodes. I'm a heavy eliquids vaper. Similar tech. Just recently learned of this side of vaping. Go to vapeatron dot com it's where I found a couple links to y'all. It's very rare but a couple ecig mods have blown up in people's faces using wrong batteries or overcharging. A charger for an 18650 will blow the hell out of a lifepo4 battery. We have a guy on there that likes to blow up batteries for testing. He used to be a NASA rocket scientist.

Bart,
Top Bottom