Discontinued ThermoVape

OF

I agree thicker is better for longevity of the coil but not for power consumption. A real balancing act for sure.

Boy, ain't it the truth? I'm not 100% sure the thicker coil is all that more robust (it will weigh more too...) but it sure makes sense, doesn't it? And for sure the whole area is full of compromises. Sometimes you can get on the 'cusp' of the curve and find the sweet spot we're looking for here.

What the hell is AR?

Got me there...something I said but shouldn't have? Can you please use it in a sentence? Yeah, I know, you just did and I didn't like it......

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The AR was marketed as a vaporizer, but actually combusts, and even with some measures taken to separate the heat from the botanicals, it will combust. At least that was my experience. I tried using SS screen, and the glass honeycomb screen, and both gave me combustion. So heat was not an issue, if anything it was too hot, if we are talking about vaporizing only.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Got me there...something I said but shouldn't have? Can you please use it in a sentence? Yeah, I know, you just did and I didn't like it......
OF

That was from a post I made about the atmosraw...I know my posts are not invisible, because Pipes just quoted one of them :D

jambandphan03,

OF

Oh man, more to look into. Your killing me here. Looks very attractive. The filament must be very thin to get that heat, with modest battery consumption, and brings up the question, how is it secured?

Yes for sure it would be nice for TV to explain their reasoning for why they choose what they did, but bottom line is it works and works well for the majority out of the box.

OK, I guess that's the "AR"? Atoms Raw? Never actually seen one, but I strongly suspect the spiral element is a ribbon. That's the traditional way to make them so they'll be self supporting....can't have them sag when they get hot and go flopping around, right. Start with flat plate (rolled wire won't cut it) and shear a strip off then form it to shape. Some materials need an anneal before, alloys like here usually don't unless they've been overheated before. The ribbon ends are then typically spot welded in place to heavier (cross section wise) pins with a fair bit of coverage (we don't want hot spots around the welds). Didn't we discuss spot welding off line???

I understand it would be nice to know TV's secrets. But I'd be disappointed if they told either of us, need to know and all that. Smart companies in their place do the same thing all the time. We get to guess.

I fully agree with the bottom line idea. A solid starting place for hot rodding speculations....

That was from a post I made about the atmosraw...I know my posts are not invisible, because Pipes just quoted one of them :D

I caught on a bit ago. Not what one normally would expect given the topic and all, but I get it now.

Not to worry, lady, nobody's ignoring you. More than that first time, of course....

OF

OF,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Jam, I think OF blocked you, so he can't see your posts. Of course this cuts both ways.... now you can talk as much shit about him as you want here and he can't bitch about it. :D

Stu,
Reactions: OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Two things here. First of all, I am in agreement (and previously stated I stand corrected) that what I am indeed asking for is THICKER wire, NOT thinner. Though, as Pipes has mentioned, this will lead to even more energy being drained from the batteries. So, it is a trade off between battery life and durability. But to be clear, I AM requesting a more durable core with three thicker coils, as you previously corrected me.
It's not making sense here then. You currently have 2 coils at approx 2 ohms each giving overall load of 1 ohm. I you want to have 3 coils with the same battery consumption then you need 3 3 Ohm coils. To get close to the same heat the gauge would have to be thinner. IMO, 3 ohm at the current gauge will be much less heat per coil. However, the heat loss via drawing air through it would be less. If you have requested a thicker gauge element then 3 ohm would be a very long coil and not get that really bright red heat. But yes, would last like forever.
As stated before the research has been done for sure by TV and the result should be a product that over 90% should make it through the warranty. Myself, prefer the higher risk and better battery life.
My preference only.

Pipes

OF

Jam, I think OF blocked you, so he can't see your posts. Of course this cuts both ways.... now you can talk as much shit about him as you want here and he can't bitch about it. :D

That must be it...but it's not working.....she's still getting through.....how can I get it to stop?????

I'm so so sorry I ever called her "Pam", really I am.....

OF

You are the only person I have seen post with a failed core, let alone two. Either you did something wrong or TV did something wrong. It seems unlikely that TV made the same mistake on both of your cores while not making the same mistake on anyone elses' that they shipped out in the time between your two failed cores. Maybe you have a faulty battery or something that is killing the cores.

Futuretvowner,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
OK, I guess that's the "AR"? Atoms Raw? Never actually seen one, but I strongly suspect the spiral element is a ribbon. That's the traditional way to make them so they'll be self supporting....

I caught on a bit ago. Not what one normally would expect given the topic and all, but I get it now.

Not to worry, lady, nobody's ignoring you. More than that first time, of course....

OF
No worries OF, just poking at ya... :p

I have not removed a coil from the AR yet, but it appears to be a thinner round wire, similar to the gauges being used for ecigs and what not. I don't know what material it is made from, but it is not a ribbon from what I can see. It is simply coiled tight, and resting on top of the bottom of the chamber, which is coated in a ceramic like material. It has a center connection, and one on the outer part of the spiral to complete the circuit. I could not tell you how its wired in with out destroying one, and since it still works, I don't see the need to dissect it yet.

jambandphan03,

OF

As stated before the research has been done for sure by TV and the result should be a product that over 90% should make it through the warranty. Myself, prefer the higher risk and better battery life.
My preference only.

I've no idea what their target numbers are, but generally you want Warranty Returns in the few percent at most level. Such 'free' support is really very very expensive typically. A single return can wipe out the profit from dozens and dozens of good units. I've seen companies go down at 10%.

I think we all understand you're way out there all right, marching to your own drummer, looking for the special edge.....which is cool and as you state not for everyone. Go for it Pipes. Like they say on Star Trek......

Question everything, stay curious.

OF

OF,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
It's not making sense here then. You currently have 2 coils at approx 2 ohms each giving overall load of 1 ohm. I you want to have 3 coils with the same battery consumption then you need 3 3 Ohm coils. To get close to the same heat the gauge would have to be thinner. IMO, 3 ohm at the current gauge will be much less heat per coil. However, the heat loss via drawing air through it would be less. If you have requested a thicker gauge element then 3 ohm would be a very long coil and not get that really bright red heat. But yes, would last like forever.
My preference only.

Pipes
I may have to buckle and concede defeat on this one. Can't say I know better. So long as the one I'm being sent holds up to knocks like the one in their stress test, and so long as my previous two were anomalies that suffered bad connections, I may just have to agree to stick to stock.

:uhoh:

PhreedomPhries,

darkrom

Great Scott!
My core look ok?

i51RL.jpg

darkrom,
I may have to buckle and concede defeat on this one. Can't say I know better. So long as the one I'm being sent holds up to knocks like the one in their stress test, and so long as my previous two were anomalies that suffered bad connections, I may just have to agree to stick to stock.

:uhoh:
You might as well try it. Who knows it could end up working better and TV could have just not thought of it. Vaporizers sometimes don't always stick to 'logic' as we know it. Sometimes a tiny adjustment can seemingly defy the laws of physics.

OF

No worries OF, just poking at ya... :p

I have not removed a coil from the AR yet, but it appears to be a thinner round wire, similar to the gauges being used for ecigs and what not. I don't know what material it is made from, but it is not a ribbon from what I can see. It is simply coiled tight, and resting on top of the bottom of the chamber, which is coated in a ceramic like material. It has a center connection, and one on the outer part of the spiral to complete the circuit. I could not tell you how its wired in with out destroying one, and since it still works, I don't see the need to dissect it yet.

Thanks, lady, consider the poke returned?

Ah, so! It's not self supporting? Wow. OK, I guess that works for a while. Any chance it's encapsulated (like the heater of the 8 appears to b)? That is is it 'fired on' or lust sitting there waiting to get snagged somehow? Then again, it's an expendable bit.

Encapsulation would be a two edged thing, solving some problems, but perhaps introducing others.

Maybe some day I'll get a chance to mess with one. Sounds interesting at some levels.

Thanks again. Glad you're getting some use from it.

OF

OF,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
You are the only person I have seen post with a failed core, let alone two. Either you did something wrong or TV did something wrong. It seems unlikely that TV made the same mistake on both of your cores while not making the same mistake on anyone elses' that they shipped out in the time between your two failed cores. Maybe you have a faulty battery or something that is killing the cores.
To that end, it ain't the batteries. They are all fairly new sets in proper operating condition. I say proper, as in, all the sets hold a proper charge, they all provide a solid round to get through a chamber, and they all discharge, and each pair recharges at equal pace. I know it's been mentioned by others that they've had problems with their cores, which, upon physically knocking about, they were able to "fix". While I applaud such successes, I am not one to attempt such remedies. I believe that if TV says a product will work, it should indeed work, with hassle-free performance, as advertised and intended. The risk of causing further damage offsets the possibility of a lucky, quick fix. And I know TV can do better than that. They have the videos to prove it!

:nod:

PhreedomPhries,
To that end, it ain't the batteries. They are all fairly new sets in proper operating condition. I say proper, as in, all the sets hold a proper charge, they all provide a solid round to get through a chamber, and they all discharge, and each pair recharges at equal pace. I know it's been mentioned by others that they've had problems with their cores, which, upon physically knocking about, they were able to "fix". While I applaud such successes, I am not one to attempt such remedies. I believe that if TV says a product will work, it should indeed work, with hassle-free performance, as advertised and intended. The risk of causing further damage offsets the possibility of a lucky, quick fix. And I know TV can do better than that. They have the videos to prove it!

:nod:
Yeah I have had problems with mine in the past but it always ended up being a switch issue I think, never an actual core issue. And I agree with you that if TV says a product will work, it should. I too emailed TV after I sent back what I thought was a faulty core 2 or 3 times asking to make sure they got it and to see what the problem was but I too never received a response back.

Futuretvowner,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
You might as well try it. Who knows it could end up working better and TV could have just not thought of it. Vaporizers sometimes don't always stick to 'logic' as we know it. Sometimes a tiny adjustment can seemingly defy the laws of physics.
That is also true. If TV did not try it, I just might have to. I have a question into them to find out if it was ever prototyped. It is certainly true that a tiny adjustment can make a big difference. Just look at how great the T1 works already! I'm sure there were many unsuccessful pre-releases, many probably with seemingly minor differences... Here's to successes!

PhreedomPhries,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Needs cleaning......Clogged holes.
:smug:

Can't clean it, works too well. Makes me not want to move.

Seriously though as clogged as it ALWAYS ends up being after 1-2 uses it always works quite well. My only beef with it is battery technology right now. Time to finally toss these and buy more I think.

darkrom,
Can't clean it, works too well. Makes me not want to move.

Seriously though as clogged as it ALWAYS ends up being after 1-2 uses it always works quite well. My only beef with it is battery technology right now. Time to finally toss these and buy more I think.
I'm waitin on the new technology

Top Bottom