Discontinued ThermoVape

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
lepstadder said:
very cool, so all the parts can be cleaned this way then? sans the batteries obviously

MY big issue with portables so far has been need the ability to clean the device 100% for travel

Some folks go from medical state to medical state without very many friendlies in-between...

Absolutely, the entire device (sans the batteries!) can be boiled, or rinsed with water. You can also use alcohol (ehtynol, or isopropyl/rubbing alcohol) and soak the device (sans the batteries!), keeping in mind that you must let the device dry out completely before use as the alcohol is flammable (this is why it is not our preferred cleaning method).

ThermoVape,

SD_haze

I just had a thought regarding the possibility of herb particles slipping through the holes with not-so-coarse grind, and charring/combusting in the heater instead of just vaporizing.

Instead of using some ceramic filter which would arguably filter out some desired components as well, wouldn't a second, removeable screen mostly negate the possibility in the first place?

I can definitely see myself adding a screen but one built-in would surely be more effective.

SD_haze,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
SD_haze said:
I just had a thought regarding the possibility of herb particles slipping through the holes with not-so-coarse grind, and charring/combusting in the heater instead of just vaporizing.

Instead of using some ceramic filter which would arguably filter out some desired components as well, wouldn't a second, removeable screen mostly negate the possibility in the first place?

I can definitely see myself adding a screen but one built-in would surely be more effective.

The problem is that adding a screen acts as a heat sink, it would get HOT, and introduces a conductive heating source.

The herb particles slipping through the holes in the bowl has not been an issue in several months of testing, the vacuum force applied by the user while vaping keeps the heater core free from particles, or at least free enough for it to "functionally" clear of combustion products. The screen would have more of a chance of overheating your herb and burning it. I do not think you will find this to be a problem in day to day use of the ThermoVape, none of our medical users who have been testing the device many times per day, for months, have had any problems.

The concern for inhaling small particles will be solved with an inline ceramic, at 100 microns no active metabolites should be filtered out.

ThermoVape,

OF

darkrom said:
Oh damn! At $211 I am getting pretty close to just pulling the trigger lol. Let me settle in and finish my car payments once and for all (next paycheck!!!!) and then I may have to just man up and get this damn thing. With a discount like that I have nothing to complain about :p Thanks for the awesome discount!

What a lightweight. Can't you hang tough for a couple of weeks until the concentrate version comes out so you can score 'the big kit'?

Pull whatever you feel a need to, but I'm saving my silver bullet for what I hope is a better target over all I think is very near?

Spot on with the take on the discount. Makes a 'maybe the best deal ever' even a bit sweeter.

I'm standing by.....anxiously.

OF

OF,

THCMuscle

I believe the air inlets are two small holes on either side of the TV about an inch down from the mouth piece. You can see them in the large macro photos on the site.

THCMuscle,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
SF Giant,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OF said:
darkrom said:
Oh damn! At $211 I am getting pretty close to just pulling the trigger lol. Let me settle in and finish my car payments once and for all (next paycheck!!!!) and then I may have to just man up and get this damn thing. With a discount like that I have nothing to complain about :p Thanks for the awesome discount!

What a lightweight. Can't you hang tough for a couple of weeks until the concentrate version comes out so you can score 'the big kit'?

Pull whatever you feel a need to, but I'm saving my silver bullet for what I hope is a better target over all I think is very near?

Spot on with the take on the discount. Makes a 'maybe the best deal ever' even a bit sweeter.

I'm standing by.....anxiously.

OF

I don't ever use concentrates since I'm a non-medical state.

darkrom,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Egzoset said:
Hello,

This is the part i'm most curious about:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2dsik5v.jpg
YouTube: ThermoVape t1 Information Video (14:45)

Is it possible to pin point the exact location of the fresh air inlet opening using this photograph???

I must be a visual: seeing is believing, i guess...

:peace:

Here you go, hope this helps.

HeaterCore.jpg

ThermoVape,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
SF Giant said:
Egzoset said:
Hello,

This is the part i'm most curious about:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2dsik5v.jpg
YouTube: ThermoVape t1 Information Video (14:45)

Is it possible to pin point the exact location of the fresh air inlet opening using this photograph???

I must be a visual: seeing is believing, i guess...

:peace:
The air inlets are about 1/2" down on that part that the heater core is removed from in this pic, and yes you can clearly see the holes on any close up photos

I think he is asking about the inner air inlet for the heater core, but you are absolutely correct, the outside air must first pass through the air inlet in the Delrin insulating sleeve (as you pointed out), and then through the Electroless Nickel Plated Aluminum of the main upper section, then through 4 tiny holes in the base of the heater core just above the threaded section.

ThermoVape,

OF

darkrom said:
I don't ever use concentrates since I'm a non-medical state.

I'm very sorry to have not considered that. I often forget recreational users, my bad.

Too bad about no concentrates. In the dark days we used to get low grade hashes from Mexico, and better ones from the near East (Lebanon was a big provider 'in the day'). Once in a while from Napal and similar. They are fun, and made a nice break from the (generally low grade) weed available. Over the years, we on the Left coast got 'upgraded' to all female plants, then seedless, then today's super weeds. Serious concentrates just fit that model I guess.

Anyway, does anyone make BHO, QWISO, bubble hash or anything of that nature?

Sorry again, I really was just poking fun, didn't mean to rub your nose in lack of concentrates.

OF

OF,

TanukiCoast

Fogbound
I'm curious if the units come standard with the Electroless Plated Aluminum mouthpiece, in the info video they look plastic but on the website they look metal.

TanukiCoast,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
TanukiCoast said:
I'm curious if the units come standard with the Electroless Plated Aluminum mouthpiece, in the info video they look plastic but on the website they look metal.

They all ship with the matching Delrin mouthpiece. This is the more versatile of the mouthpieces, as it does not get as warm as the Electroless Plated Aluminum mouthpiece, those are available separately.

ThermoVape,

OF

TanukiCoast said:

I recall being told a few pages back, they come with 'color coordinated' plastic (Delrin I think) mouthpieces. The metal ones will soon be accessories. FWIW, I know guys for whom metal is a deal breaker (sensitive teeth in at least a couple of the cases).

If I'm off base, I expect to be corrected before lunch......

OF

OF,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
OF said:
TanukiCoast said:

I recall being told a few pages back, they come with 'color coordinated' plastic (Delrin I think) mouthpieces. The metal ones will soon be accessories. FWIW, I know guys for whom metal is a deal breaker (sensitive teeth in at least a couple of the cases).

If I'm off base, I expect to be corrected before lunch......

OF

You are correct, the mouthpiece is available now as an optional accessory.

Electroless Nickel Plated Aluminum Mouthpiece from ThermoVape

You are also correct on the softer feel of the Delrin. Some of our more sensitive medical testers did not like the metal mouthpiece, that said it is a good option for those that would like an all metal flow path.

ThermoVape,
Hello everyone! Extremely new to vaporizer's and this is my 1st post. I have been following this thread since the first day and I really am excited about this unit.

I am curious if anyone put in any thought behind having Delrin (Acetal Homopolymer) in the breathing loop. It does off-gas formaldehyde at normal temps and even more so at elevated temps. A look in to the MSDS sheet on this material will probably give you the exact PPM at what temps. It is a great material to machine due to its stability and lack of "creeping" of dimensions.

The US NAVY has banned the use of Delrin in any application that is used directly in the "breathing loop" because of this. Coming from the guys that have no problem with having you do some dangerous stuff without the proper equipment... This makes me wonder.

Thoughts?

-Gravityaddict

Gravityaddict,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Gravityaddict said:
Hello everyone! Extremely new to vaporizer's and this is my 1st post. I have been following this thread since the first day and I really am excited about this unit.

I am curious if anyone put in any thought behind having Delrin (Acetal Homopolymer) in the breathing loop. It does off-gas formaldehyde at normal temps and even more so at elevated temps. A look in to the MSDS sheet on this material will probably give you the exact PPM at what temps. It is a great material to machine due to its stability and lack of "creeping" of dimensions.

The US NAVY has banned the use of Delrin in any application that is used directly in the "breathing loop" because of this. Coming from the guys that have no problem with having you do some dangerous stuff without the proper equipment... This makes me wonder.

Thoughts?

-Gravityaddict
:uhoh:

SF Giant,

TanukiCoast

Fogbound
SF Giant said:
Gravityaddict said:

Thoughts?

-Gravityaddict
:uhoh:

that's a little disconcerting...

TanukiCoast,
Im not trying to say its a dangerous level.. Just would feel better if there was some actual test data showing what the exposure level will be.

Formaldehyde should not pose a risk in humans if exposures are kept below:

OSHA Standard(1992) : 0.75ppm,8-hrs TWA ; 2 ppm,STEL
ACGIH TLV's (1992-3): 0.3 ppm ceiling

-Gravityaddcit

Gravityaddict,

OF

Gravityaddict said:

Thoughts?

-Gravityaddict

My understanding is outgassing is not an issue, even at higher temperatures than we're dealing with here. The Nav's ban has to do with high pressure. Two things conspire, more molecules of Oxygen on the surface and rapid heating on the surface as the pressure is rapidly raised. This can cause the dreaded combustion, which here too is not good for you. Please note, it's not at all banned on submarines which are by definition just plain full of breathing air.

Delrin is a traditional material for this sort of use (not always a proof, but often a guide). Drip tips for e-cigs have been made from it for years for instance.

I think the maker has done his homework. If you don't agree, I guess the metal tip is for you?

OF

OF,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Gravityaddict said:

Thoughts?

-Gravityaddict

Sure, I have some thoughts. First, breathing loop (as the Navy is using the term) is very different from "flow path" that is discussed on the forum. The breathing loop is a term used to describe diving equipment like rebreathers, a type of complex scuba tank that does not release any bubbles, because the CO2 is contained in the unit, scrubbed, and the exhaled air eventually gets reinhaled. These are great if your a Navy Seal and you have sneak around underwater for hours on end and you don't want a trail of bubbles giving your position away to the bad guy.

So, in that application, a closed, high pressure, highly complex system, the navy does not want delrin used. I am not sure what temps a rebreather reaches, but if you have ever seen one, the are very complex, and have a lot going on inside. This is a much different application then simple mouthpiece for a vaporizer.

Also keep in mind that Delrin comes in different grades, and has different thermal characteristics depending on the grade. We use the highest grade we can source.

Additionally 'off gassing' is an issue at high temperatures (like those used for high speed lathes or more frequently for injection molding) and and with large volumes of the material.

Consider the volume of the mouthpiece, a couple of grams, in such small volume parts, off gassing becomes a non-issue, and prior to forming formaldehyde from acetal you will form acetic acid (Vinegar is acetic acid), which almost everyone would notice that their mouthpiece smelled of vinegar, this just does not happen, the mouthpiece simply does not get warm enough for that reaction to occur (several hundred degrees warmer then the device temp).

Consider the temperature of the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece stays in thermal equilibrium with the insulating shell, with does not reach temps that are that high (way south of 200F), even with heavy use the insulating shell is warm to the touch, not hot, and certainly not melting point hot.

For our application Delrin is good choice, it is FDA, NSF, USDA approved. Of course for those that prefer other options we make the mouthpiece in Electroless Nickel Plated Aluminum. We also just made some in another type of high temperature plastic, PTFE (trademarked as virgin Teflon). These are a little softer then Delrin and some may prefer that. Despite the slightly softer material PTFE actually has an even higher operating temperature then Delrin.

I certainly do not think that anyone should worry about Delrin in the mouthpiece. If they are worried, then we have several options available to them.

Great discussion, thank you for the post.

ThermoVape,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Thanks for the speedy reply, after that and some google research of my own my concerns are pretty much squashed, this unit and your contributions to this forum are both top notch for me so far, vaped all night with my TV at a new years party last night and it was an excellent companion for the GF and I, we were happily medicated for the whole party :D

SF Giant,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
SF Giant said:
Thanks for the speedy reply, after that and some google research of my own my concerns are pretty much squashed, this unit and your contributions to this forum are both top notch for me so far, vaped all night with my TV at a new years party last night and it was an excellent companion for the GF and I, we were happily medicated for the whole party :D

My pleasure, great discussion.

I am loving that you and the GF rocked the TV at your New Years party and it ran well.

SF, I think you were the first official purchaser (or at least the first purchaser to receive) the ThermoVape in the world, so I am following your experience keenly.

The ultimate early adopter, keep us in the loop!

ThermoVape,
G

Im am confused as to what kind of metal exactly is used as the herb chamber? stainless steel or Aluminum?

Guest,
Top Bottom