Discontinued ThermoVape

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
That's good news, of course, but what makes you think the two new sets will be any different over time? Or that the third set will escape? Something is killing them it seems and you've done nothing to sort that out?

I could be dead wrong, of course, but AFAIK nobody's had more than one battery at a time go south???

Anyway it sounds as if you're moving the right way. Good luck. As you know it's a solid unit.....usually.

OF

Well, I sure hope there is not any other problem lurking. The whole mechanics of this device are pretty straightforward (smart). I am chalking it up to the failure of my core, but I am not an engineer... I know I have done what I can to baby these workhorse batteries, so I don't know what could be the cause of the problem. I feel fortunate that the third set of batteries appears to have made it out unscathed. The battery tech of LiFePo4 is supposed to be substantially longer-lasting than li-ion counterparts. 2000+ charge cycles, nominally. I know these are being pushed, but my sets have seen fewer than 60 cycles to be sure, which I think we can confidently agree is problematic. Gonzo mentioned all three sets of his original batteries are still running stellar under daily use since release week 1. I am all ears as to what else could be the problem here, but I have had them paired and in numbered rotation since day-one. Not sure what the user error could be, so I am just assuming it related to the faulty core. For everybody's sake, it would sure seem this was an anomalous battery failure related to the anomalous mechanical failure.

PhreedomPhries,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I could be dead wrong, of course, but AFAIK nobody's had more than one battery at a time go south???
OF
Just thought I'd add to this as I too had battery problems.
My initial 6 batteries which I received with my T1 are all history. They work for a very short time only.
I have purchase 10 replacements and out of the 10 1 did go tits up after a few days but it died and refuses to take a charge. 1 out of 10 I guess is acceptable.
As for the initial batteries the performance degrade is still kind of a mystery but think it was learning curve related and possibly over heating do to frustration on learning how to get a decent puff. I also initially had a couple pieces if electrical tape on bottom of battery sleeve to lessen the sound of the recoil. Maybe keeping some of the heat from dissipating to the sleeve? Anyway, all water under the bridge now and the device just keeps on pleasing me. I do tend to be a little more easy on them now as if they get too hot I either wait a bit or change them. Maybe too cautious but the shipping to Canada via Amazon last time was a killer. Ended up paying $36 for $11.50 (4 ea.) batteries. After shipping, customs and HST. Freakin ouch.
Glade all is working out for you Phree, the T1 is an excellent device and you made a great choice in this investment.
Cheers,
:2c:

Pipes,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Been a while since I checked this thread but just wanted to pop in and say that my T1 is still going as strong as ever. I bought it from PuffItUp the first week of release and I am still using all six original batteries. Used every day and works just as good as the day I received it. A big :tup: to the Thermovape crew for a great product! Excited to try some of the new stuff you have out as well.

Good show Gonzo. I also ordered my unit from PIU around launch, and I agree this little guy is weathering the sands of time quite well so far :nod: The batteries however, not so much. My original 6 have long been replaced. Glad to hear yours are still going strong though.

Peloton,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
imo, letting the batteries cool & rest before recharging really helps the longevity. I also recharge or replace after using the best part of the charge so as to not overheat/over-drain them on the way down. They are gonna die though . . . power cell deaths are inevitable because of our application . . .

t-dub,

OF

So, OK, here's my take on the batteries. They're the best available. We're abusing them in several ways that will shorten their 2000 cycle number guys quote from the salesmen. The same salesmen that tell us they are 750 mAh when in fact we're seeing about 2/3 that at the current levels we're running. I'm expecting mine to give up somewhere in the low hundreds of cycles if I don't screw up and trash them early. Or the charger doesn't. The charger is much easier to eliminate than the owner. In the owner case, I'd expect all to behave about the same, if you regularly overheat one set, you're likely doing it to the rest???

So when a guy says he has a fairly unique battery failure (say one in a hundred?) and a core failure (say 1:100 again?) the chances of that happening are one in ten thousand. And I think the 1:100 numbers are low, this is not in 'can't happen' country, but it's mighty near the border. Add in the 'only 2 of the 3 sets died' part and I'm no longer sure what to think except it'll be nice to have it resolved. Nicer still to understand and prevent it next time?

OF

OF,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
imo, letting the batteries cool & rest before recharging really helps the longevity. I also recharge or replace after using the best part of the charge so as to not overheat/over-drain them on the way down. They are gonna die though . . . power cell deaths are inevitable because of our application . . .

Yeah, we really are using them under some torturous conditions. I do what I can to help them live longer, sounds like you're on the same page. I have my 10 cells on a rotation, let them cool before charging, and I don't try to get more than a bowl out of a set, even though I know I can.

Peloton,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer

This is a cruital tip for all batteries!

Pretty much all batteries should be charged when at room temprature, charging them when they are hot and freshly used could reduce the longevity of them.

Cheers,

Tim

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
So, OK, here's my take on the batteries. They're the best available. We're abusing them in several ways that will shorten their 2000 cycle number guys quote from the salesmen. The same salesmen that tell us they are 750 mAh when in fact we're seeing about 2/3 that at the current levels we're running. I'm expecting mine to give up somewhere in the low hundreds of cycles if I don't screw up and trash them early. Or the charger doesn't. The charger is much easier to eliminate than the owner. In the owner case, I'd expect all to behave about the same, if you regularly overheat one set, you're likely doing it to the rest???

So when a guy says he has a fairly unique battery failure (say one in a hundred?) and a core failure (say 1:100 again?) the chances of that happening are one in ten thousand. And I think the 1:100 numbers are low, this is not in 'can't happen' country, but it's mighty near the border. Add in the 'only 2 of the 3 sets died' part and I'm no longer sure what to think except it'll be nice to have it resolved. Nicer still to understand and prevent it next time?

OF

While I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the general durability of these cores, in my case, the core did indeed fail. Once that occurred, it seems the likelihood of battery failure stands to rise; indeed exponentially. So, while the core failure I do hope was an isolated occurrence, I think the propensity of the batteries to subsequently fail is not at all unlikely. Indeed, my experience seems to indicate this. As of 72 hours ago, all was well with my Thermovape; including all 3 sets of my batteries. All held charge, all did their thing. 72 hours ago, coincidentally, I began noticing my heating core coil acting up. Then, within a span of 24 hours or so, 2 sets of my batteries ceased to hold a charge. So, this was not a case of batteries slowly petering out over time due to wear and tear, but rather due to a sudden, catastrophic event after a month of smooth sailing. So, a heads up to others; if your heater core should happen to start acting up, be wary of resultant damage to your batteries. Just glad this happened to me now rather than later, and that it can be a learning lesson for others.

PhreedomPhries,
Reactions: Pipes

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
This is a cruital tip for all batteries!

Pretty much all batteries should be charged when at room temprature, charging them when they are hot and freshly used could reduce the longevity of them.

Cheers,

Tim

A crucial tip which I have always followed. If anything, the past several days have seen the batteries encountering less intense temperatures during operation than usual, due to the temperamental coil not heating the load to full operating temp. It was in the midst of these performance issues that my batteries incurred their damage.

PhreedomPhries,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
As of 72 hours ago, all was well with my Thermovape; including all 3 sets of my batteries. All held charge, all did their thing. 72 hours ago, coincidentally, I began noticing my heating core coil acting up. Then, within a span of 24 hours or so, 2 sets of my batteries ceased to hold a charge. So, this was not a case of batteries slowly petering out over time due to wear and tear, but rather due to a sudden, catastrophic event after a month of smooth sailing. So, a heads up to others; if your heater core should happen to start acting up, be wary of resultant damage to your batteries. Just glad this happened to me now rather than later, and that it can be a learning lesson for others.
This be the case there really is only one answer that I can see. IMO. If one coil was broken and making many momentary contacts from vibration etc., the battery would be repetitively surging current. Maybe even in an oscillating fashion. Can see this causing problems with the batteries.
Good to know for a possible heads up.
:nod:

Pipes,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
This be the case there really is only one answer that I can see. IMO. If one coil was broken and making many momentary contacts from vibration etc., the battery would be repetitively surging current. Maybe even in an oscillating fashion. Can see this causing problems with the batteries.
Good to know for a possible heads up.
:nod:

While my knowledge of electricity is limited, your hypothesis seems sound to me. It accurately matches up with my experiencing the intermittent striking of the second coil, which likely caused some kind of electrical arc or surge. Pardon my ignorance of technical electrical physics.

PhreedomPhries,

PhreedomPhries

High Plains Drifter
Any updates regarding imminent availability of either the glorified pass through power adapter or the all glass pathway? Both these products definitely pique my interest. :drool:

PhreedomPhries,

darkrom

Great Scott!
All I want is an update or teaser on whats coming next. The 18650 batteries or whatever it is. I just want a peek into the future TV. Show us something cool even if it isn't ready. PLEASE?

I'm very content with my setup, but that doesn't feed my need to upgrade compulsively :p

darkrom,

OF

Please excuse me guys if I hope TV remains mum on this? The project was disclosed to explain the mistake with hit count (which still seems to have life anyway.....). Having been involved with such things, my considered opinion the suits in sales shooting off their mouths about what's coming soon causes way more problems than it solves. It's ready when it is.

If Tim hadn't posted the 50 hits per charge number in error, the project would have remained confidential.

I fully understand the nearly constant "are we there yet?" posts are part of other business models, but my take on the TV model is the timing is design and test driven.....I hope that's the case. Not because I don't want the products ASAP rather I want the right product first time out. On schedule. And I think playing it close to the vest gets that done as fast and efficiently as possible.

Just my opinion, mind, but that's how it see it.....best left alone like the proverbial sleeping dog? Let TV take all the time they need to do their job, they've done well by us so far.

OF

darkrom

Great Scott!
Please excuse me guys if I hope TV remains mum on this? The project was disclosed to explain the mistake with hit count (which still seems to have life anyway.....). Having been involved with such things, my considered opinion the suits in sales shooting off their mouths about what's coming soon causes way more problems than it solves. It's ready when it is.

If Tim hadn't posted the 50 hits per charge number in error, the project would have remained confidential.

I fully understand the nearly constant "are we there yet?" posts are part of other business models, but my take on the TV model is the timing is design and test driven.....I hope that's the case. Not because I don't want the products ASAP rather I want the right product first time out. On schedule. And I think playing it close to the vest gets that done as fast and efficiently as possible.

Just my opinion, mind, but that's how it see it.....best left alone like the proverbial sleeping dog? Let TV take all the time they need to do their job, they've done well by us so far.

OF

I fully agree and understand this, but I just want to KNOW more about what they are trying to work on. I want them to keep high quality and what not, but simply saying "we are trying to make this work and will sell it if we do" would be really cool IMO. For example I've been eying the 8 herb cart. If I know TV has something up their sleeve similar I would certainly not be looking at competition as long as I have the T1. For me this stuff takes careful budgeting so I like to be prepared ahead of time as much as possible. Anxiety/OCD will do that to ya lol. Just curious whats in the works not when or anything like that.

OF

For me this stuff takes careful budgeting so I like to be prepared ahead of time as much as possible. Anxiety/OCD will do that to ya lol. Just curious whats in the works not when or anything like that.

Understood, and I'm sure you're by no means alone. In fact, post the same question again in a week and I can guarantee others will chime in with 'me too'. It's the way it is.

But I'm sure you'll also understand why telling the world (especially your competition) your confidential business plans is not all that common in successful companies? I used to work for a place that amongst other things would chrome plate trim pieces for appearance models of new cars for GM. These were plastic. They had to be vacuum coated, a pretty unique process for such big parts, we had one of the few chambers big enough. A team of armed guards would show up and erect a tent and barricades before the sealed crates got there. There were several guys with shotguns keeping everyone (yes, that means employees) out of the area 24/7 until the crates left. Think how much that must have cost to prevent Ford from seeing the idea that might happen.

Like I said, I've had it the other way, where the suits are promising stuff Engineering never could design, nor production make or service deliver. Guess who gets the blame? I can tell you, nobody really wins that way, 'cept maybe the suits?

Hey, I want to know too. And I work with these guys beta testing stuff and have some skills and experience to offer but they (IMO wisely) don't tell me....and I don't press it.

Like I said, the topic is up by mistake. However, I fully understand the cat is out of the bag and folks want to know about the cat.

Sorry, man, needless stress for sure....for at least some of us. I'm holding off inventing something on my own, FWIW.

OF

OF,
Reactions: darkrom
I'm going to wait on a new power source till someone comes out with a 2-26650 unit. We could name it after a strain I used to get... Donkey D__k.
In all seriousness, a 18650 TV unit definitely sounds very interesting.

havealight101,

OF

I'm going to wait on a new power source till someone comes out with a 2-26650 unit. We could name it after a strain I used to get... Donkey D__k.
In all seriousness, a 18650 TV unit definitely sounds very interesting.

Hey, I'm not going to say I never saw a principal of one of these companies waving a 26650 under my nose (only one I've ever seen in fact) and talked about the concept some. I'm just not saying who, when or why that might have happened...if it did......

Seems like kind of a natural development though, doesn't it?

Ever notice how the newer designs are modular?

OF

OF,
Those have to be some huge batteries, almost a centimeter wider than a 18650!
Kinda looses the portable part, be nice for parties I guess, not a big partier though. I don't think ill ever need a portable w/2 weeks of juice. Some people might like it though.

havealight101,

Kaptan

Looks like I'm hoping to get the smooth flow tomorrow. I was shooting for today since it was like $7 to ship something that can fit in an envelope. I miss the old coupon code setup. Used to work out to free shipping on the small stuff. Ended up being close to $35 shipped just like the pure flow which I never use. I really hope the smooth flow is a better fit.

What is your opinion on the smooth flow? Has it enhanced your t1 experience?

Kaptan,

OF

Those have to be some huge batteries, almost a centimeter wider than a 18650!
Kinda looses the portable part, be nice for parties I guess, not a big partier though. I don't think ill ever need a portable w/2 weeks of juice. Some people might like it though.

It's a handfull all right. Hefting it reminded me of D cell NiCd. Dangerous if thrown or dropped. It would make a bigger but longer lived vape, no doubt better for some than a cord.... I don't see myself buying one.

What's the old joke? "Don't worry, it really will be portable....as soon as we put the handles on"?

OF

darkrom

Great Scott!
What is your opinion on the smooth flow? Has it enhanced your t1 experience?

Still getting used to it but I think it does. Honestly I don't notice "oh damn this is smooth" but I THINK I notice less throat irritation when I'm done, so it has to be doing something right? I never use the TV without it anymore, but I've been vaping less this week trying to adjust my tolerance without a break. I'll have more results later, but its FAR better than the pure-flow on the T1.

darkrom,

OF

Still getting used to it but I think it does. Honestly I don't notice "oh damn this is smooth" but I THINK I notice less throat irritation when I'm done, so it has to be doing something right? I never use the TV without it anymore, but I've been vaping less this week trying to adjust my tolerance without a break. I'll have more results later, but its FAR better than the pure-flow on the T1.

I'm with DR again on this one. The filter version is big news on Revolution and Dart, but it's much to restrictive on T1. It just plain old hobbles the beast. Because of the way it works, T1 delivers a lot of warm dry air. It's the dry part it does the best at. To get that you need to keep an eye on it and add another drop from time to time or it stall out. I too notice that I can do longer and heavier sessions with it on before my throat drying out becomes an issue. Mine's off again right now, but only because it won't fit in the case with anything but the short mouthpiece....but it's handy.

OF

OF,

NewSchoolExplorer

Speaking of the filter, I heard a member was attempting to use flavoring to add flavor to his vapor. How effective was this and has anyone else attempted this

NewSchoolExplorer,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer

Ive been having ALOT of enjoyment using the Smooth-flow! no restriction and more moisture conditioning!

SameOldTim,
Top Bottom