Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I just discovered a wonderful way to use my Evo w/ my 14mm glass. I put 2 of the orange O rings on the Evo body, loaded the chamber with a small screen on top, and put the smooth flow in with the mouth piece removed. Stuck that down into my 14mm adapter, and it fit snug, the O ring makes good contact with the glass, and filled my bubbler with some pretty solid vapor. :D

U7Fjs.jpg

usB2a.jpg

darkrom

Great Scott!
I actually bought two O-Ring kits; the standard one and the "all oranges" one. Can't have too many O-Rings. And I always keep my orange O-Ring on (the bottom notch of the core). The insulating sleeve comes off way too easily (for me) otherwise. I anticipated losing the O-Ring (which for some reason I haven't), hence my order of extras.

btw, I've been using the extended black delrin mouthpiece with UFO (aka "Tru-Flow UFO Mouthpiece"), and it's become my favorite mouthpiece to use directly into the Evo core. A minuscule reduction in airflow compared to the plain extended mouthpiece, and a minuscule less room for herb in the core, but NO MORE BITS IN THE MOUTH!!! :) It also self tamps the load down for me, saving a step. (Fill the core loosely, put the Tru-Flow UFO in, and its flat bottom tamps down the load the perfect amount). My screen experiments were less than fruitful, so this is really a blessing. Thanks for the tip, Tim!

Can you post a pic of that setup please?

darkrom,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Sure, but I'm on the road so it will have to wait until I get home. Too many TSA checks to bring it with me...

Haywood,

Lono

Just received my thermovape in the mail and I can't get it to produce any visible vapor at all. Product just doesnt seem to be vaping very well. I purchased the low voltage version. I've tried pretty much every suggestion on this forum for getting fat hits but still nothing. My friends can't get it to work either.

I've let it heat up for 30 seconds or more and it does heat up, you can definitely feel it. I just don't know that it's hot enough. He core on the inside def glows red. I also know to draw slowly as I'm used to using the magic flight. I feel like this should be functioning considerably better than the LB.

Do I have the option to send this back and pay an xtra 50 for the t1 package instead?

Lono,

OF

I've let it heat up for 30 seconds or more and it does heat up, you can definitely feel it. I just don't know that it's hot enough. He core on the inside def glows red. I also know to draw slowly as I'm used to using the magic flight.

Do I have the option to send this back and pay an xtra 50 for the t1 package instead?

You've got a flaw in your technique. It's at step 2, you're not drawing hard enough. "I also know to draw slowly" is where the problem no doubt is. You're not drawing heat in fast enough to get ahead of the losses, the herb never gets hot enough to vape even though there is heat several hundred degrees higher than we need available on the other side of the grid. Review the step 2 guidelines and I think you'll have the same success the rest of us have?

I'm not sure about swapping up to T1, but that won't fix anything, you still need a medium or harder LONG pull for step 2 to get to temperature before you actually hit in step 3. Same basic machine, same rules.

OF

Lono

Well I only mentioned that I knew to hit slow to clarify that I knew it at all... lol, basically, what I meant was I started slow then pulled hard afterwards, just like I used to do with my old vaper bros vape. You had to start slow to get it going and then you could pull hard. If anyone wants to get on skype or somethin and webchat it up with me i'll show ya lol

Lono,

2clicker

Observer
Just received my thermovape in the mail and I can't get it to produce any visible vapor at all. Product just doesnt seem to be vaping very well. I purchased the low voltage version. I've tried pretty much every suggestion on this forum for getting fat hits but still nothing. My friends can't get it to work either.

I've let it heat up for 30 seconds or more and it does heat up, you can definitely feel it. I just don't know that it's hot enough. He core on the inside def glows red. I also know to draw slowly as I'm used to using the magic flight. I feel like this should be functioning considerably better than the LB.

do me a favor... put in a fully charged battery. then load up your evo and engage the switch for a full minute. another 15-20 secs would be even better.

then start pulling with a slow pull not even medium. ive been finding im getting better vapor production with a slower pull.

after your first hit (please note there is no prime hit) of which should have produced a decent cloud, keep the switch engaged. after that it should be plenty warmed up. at this point you should be able to get great rips with a multitude of pull speeds. even a fast pull will produce lots of vapor. i like a slow pull because it seems to fill my lungs faster than a medium or fast pull.

then report back your findings. ill bet you will have a much better experience. if not then you really need to consider using the dome screen mod on top of the load to hold it down in place just above the heater. IMO this is the best way to make the LV Evo shine.

2clicker,

Lono

I charged the battery once already and tried it... held it on for a around 30-40 seconds, but ill try this one more time. I've also tried varying bowl sizes... ground up product, not ground up, pure kief. It just doesn't seem to work, although it DOES get hot for sure... I've taken off the mouthpiece and when I touch the bowl it's definitely getting heated up. I will try again but I feel like there's no way I wouldn't have gotten at least a small amt of visible vapor at this point. No one I hand this thing to seems capable either. Waiting for the battery to charge up one more time though wish me luck....

Lono,

2clicker

Observer
a futurist who believes that we will figure out how to live forever in one form or another

he is far more than just a futurist. he is an inventor, author and just incredible thinker. and has been since he was a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Kurzweil

for those who are interested please check out the documentary by Ray called "Transcendent Man". his reasons for why we may see immortality in our lifetime are actually quite compelling. Transcendent Man is a must see. it shows the great thinkers of our time talking about things like "the singularity" and other bugged out stuff. it is truly an mind bending watch. i HIGHLY recommend it!

ok back on topic...

about the MPs melting when used direct connect... has this been reported with those who arent running a UFO in the MP? i remember seeing someone say their UFO is what melted the MP. sorry to bring this up again. just been thinking about it and i wanna weigh all my MP options.

2clicker,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I think there are 2 things your been shy about.
1/Fill that sucker and then some. Can pack as far as it doesn't restrict the air flow. I'm starting to find you can get much more in then originally believed. But works good as long as at least full.
The more the merrier IMO. Lesser loads pull up away from the heat and conduction becomes impossible.
2/If you have the heat then you need to bring it up. You'd think the fast air flow cools the element but in fact brings that needed heat up to where you want it. Mine gets hissing quite loud when I'm rockin it.
The extended heat up time SHOULD make that first cloud easier.
I have the 6 volt version so maybe that's why I don't wait so long????
Generally a 5 second with no draw then start very slow until I feel the heat build a bit. Kind of confirms it's going. Then ramp it up over another 10 seconds or so. You should feel and taste it at this point. The faster you get to the next ones the less ramp up time.

If your still having trouble then it's the herb. I get some once in a while that is very dry and get vapor but not very visible. A small piece of friut peel in the bag with it over night can make a big difference on the cloud factor.

Good luck, and don't worry you'll get it.
Pipes

Pipes,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
1/Fill that sucker and then some. Can pack as far as it doesn't restrict the air flow. I'm starting to find you can get much more in then originally believed. But works good as long as at least full.
The more the merrier IMO. Lesser loads pull up away from the heat and conduction becomes impossible.

totally agree. although a domed screen will allow the same performance from a smaller amount. it will hold the load in place instead of using more herb to do it.

however i like the more herb idea better after a second thought... :brow:

2clicker,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
about the MPs melting when used direct connect... has this been reported with those who arent running a UFO in the MP? i remember seeing someone say their UFO is what melted the MP. sorry to bring this up again. just been thinking about it and i wanna weigh all my MP options.
I remember that post as well.
I tried the UFO from the supplied hood in a non-TV Delrin drip tip and when I took it out after while it was still hot, the UFO was melting the hole out.
I think the TV MPs are better but that is a hot spot for sure. Never tried a standart Delrin TV MP. ...yet....

Pipes

Pipes,

Lono

I have no shortage of quality herbs, thank god, so I know it's not the product lol. The first bowl I loaded kind of small, only about half. Then the second try I did a layer of regular herb then I put in like half the kief I had in my little Wicca box with another layer of herbs on top, and it didn't work at all. The whole bowl was filled, altho I did not pack it tightly at all. Subsequently recharged the battery and let a couple of friends try it out and they failed as well.

I'm still waitin on this battery to charge so I don't screw this up.... patience, patience.... I'm having difficulty finding more information about this domed screen mod btw? It sounds like something I need to do.

Lono,
I've been experimenting with using the Evo with the cover again, and I am getting good results. I think my major issue in the past was with my not keeping the button engaged long enough. I am finding right now at least that I get MUCH better and consistent results by keeping the button engaged all the way through to a fully vaped stem. I just find the draw, stop, reheat, draw, stop thing doesn't work for me at all.

I am heating for about a minute or so (stopped counting because its a pain in the ass) or until the shield feels warm, and then draw slowly for a shallow hit. Keeping the button engaged still, I hit it again a little faster and deeper. Button still engaged, I hit it a third time at a normal pace and full draw. By hit three I get a strong hit with good vapor. I do this all the way through the stem. By the sixth or seventh hit, the fucker is starting to get hot on the thumb, but usually the stem is finished by then.

I did this today down at the river with a kief sandwich and holy shit! After one stem, I was absolutely toasted. It was great because I just held my book up while I was taking hits and no one around knew a damn thing, including my kids who were swimming about 20 feet away. lol

I was not sure I was going to be happy with this thing at first, but the more I experiment with it, the more I like it. I do wish the thumb pad had some kind of heat protection on it. It gets hot after awhile.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
I just discovered a wonderful way to use my Evo w/ my 14mm glass. I put 2 of the orange O rings on the Evo body, loaded the chamber with a small screen on top, and put the smooth flow in with the mouth piece removed. Stuck that down into my 14mm adapter, and it fit snug, the O ring makes good contact with the glass, and filled my bubbler with some pretty solid vapor. :D

nice. sorry i havent gotten back with the oring size info i said i would. i believe that it would be the same ID as the TV red oring, but an 1/8" thickness instead of 1/16th.

ive got access to an oring checker and will get the answers we need. would be helpful if TV could supply us with the oring dash numbers... ? :wave:

I have no shortage of quality herbs, thank god, so I know it's not the product lol. The first bowl I loaded kind of small, only about half. Then the second try I did a layer of regular herb then I put in like half the kief I had in my little Wicca box with another layer of herbs on top, and it didn't work at all. The whole bowl was filled, altho I did not pack it tightly at all. Subsequently recharged the battery and let a couple of friends try it out and they failed as well.

I'm still waitin on this battery to charge so I don't screw this up.... patience, patience.... I'm having difficulty finding more information about this domed screen mod btw? It sounds like something I need to do.

Just my .02, but it's method. I was just like you when I first got this. I was getting nothing at all and trying everything. And then I would get a decent little hit and think I was figuring it out and then nothing again. It was very frustrating.

Hang in there, though. It takes some time to figure out. I think the main thing for me at least is that it wasn't heating up enough. Try keeping the button engaged all the way through and see what happens.

Edit: I'm not using a domed screen and it works fine for me, so it's not required at least. I fill loosely until full, then tamp down gently. Then add more, tamp gently, etc., until it's about 1/8" from the rim. That has been working great for me.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Lono

I packed it to the brim, I let it heat up for a minute and 30 seconds, I hit it, nothing.

Lono,
I packed it to the brim, I let it heat up for a minute and 30 seconds, I hit it, nothing.

Exactly. But keep that button held in and hit it again. The second hit will be whispy. Keep the button held and hit it again. The third hit will be much stronger. Keep the button held in and hit it again. The fourth hit will be strong. Again. Again.

I do this until the stem is finished or the button gets too hot to handle, whichever comes first. I was stoned as all hell today using this method with no mods whatsoever, just straight from the box with a fully charged battery.

Edit: a minute and a half is too long for the first hit. Try 45-60 seconds.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: deadc0ffee

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Do you only have 1 set of batteries?
If so, I'd start wondering about them.
Also, have you been waiting for them to cool before charging?
I ruined many batteries due to frustration on the T1 before I got the knack...

Pipes,

Lono

Buddy I def hit it again and again I mean I didn't just try it once and toss it across the room lol.

ya I only have 2 battery. The device does heat up tho, it's strange. I feel like it should work since it does glow red, but what do I know :|.

Lono,

Lono

Oh also the button NEVER gets too hot to handle. The button i'm holding never even gets close to being too hot... if I remove the mouthpiece and touch the bowl, THAT is hot to the touch but i'm not sure if it's hot enough to do the job.

It's pretty lame that they only ship you a single low voltage battery :\

Lono,

Lono

didn't mean to offend with "buddy" sorry spent time in Canada and kind of picked up the habit.

Lono,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Let's take a step back. Are you sure you got a LV version EVO?
LV stamped on the bottom? No stamp mains HV and will not get hot enough.
Maybe a miss labelled unit? Check the ohms with a meter if possible. If a little over 2 ohms its a HV. I'm not sure what a LV unit would measure but likely a little over 1 ohm.
The herb tube should get more then very warm but dang freakin hot. Burn hot for sure.
If all still seems good but suspect heat you need to check the battery. If not technical then you would need another one to compare.
Good Luck,
Pipes

Pipes,
Top Bottom