Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

OF

OH.

MY.

GOD.

OK, OK, so how's the Evolution working for you now? Don't be coy......

Neat machine, ain't it? Every guy's gotta sort it out for himself I think, best we can do is guidelines. You'll find, I think, you don't really need such a long preheat time in the end as you refine your technique, but there's no real downside except short battery life. This was the turning point for me, when Tim said 'let it run, we make tough heaters'. It's much better to come at it from the 'longer than needed' end than the 'not long enough' one for sure.

Congratulations, lad, and just in time for Father's Day no less!!! Well done.

Thanks for the great news.

OF

Polmol

Thanks OF! I'm actually gonna be a first-time father in October :)

After that first illuminating hit, I checked the herb and couldn't believe how green it still was. The core seems to extract the maximum out of it. I wonder if the ufo makes the air spin inside the core? I'd love to see an infrared video of the inside as a hit is being made...

OF

Thanks OF! I'm actually gonna be a first-time father in October :)

After that first illuminating hit, I checked the herb and couldn't believe how green it still was. The core seems to extract the maximum out of it. I wonder if the ufo makes the air spin inside the core? I'd love to see an infrared video of the inside as a hit is being made...

You're welcome. Congrats and best wishes all around, a true change of life for one and all.....

Yes, the good stuff seems to come off before the green stuff goes away, at least to some extent. I doubt the UFO has much effect on spin, not that you really want that through the core as I understand such things. You want even, but not uniform flow. That is you want turbulence such that all the air is in the area for about the same amount of time but lots of churning otherwise. The way the intake ports are made, the way the heater is laid in at an angle and so on go to that. Otherwise, after the grid the air comes up in so many columns to try to work it's way through the mass. We win (hopefully) based on lots of little paths through the load and up to the ports in the UFO. Through the UFO the action is all radial, that is in toward the center, up, or outward. No twist at all, so no spiral.

Maybe.

Yes, a video of the hit would be fun. Expensive to do, but fun.

OF

ctweips

I decided after a couple of burnt lips after sessions to mod my sleeve a bit (by that I mean taking a sharp knife and chopping off where the UFO used to sit). So now I have the direct mouthpiece with UFO set-up and a heat shield. Best of both worlds!

ctweips,
I just took some temp readings of the outer sleeve.... 270 degrees consistent...wow, conduction anyone?
I couldn't get a good reading on the cart itself, due to the size compared to my IR gun, but I would imagine its warmer by a bit.

havealight101,

OF

I just took some temp readings of the outer sleeve.... 270 degrees consistent...wow, conduction anyone?
I couldn't get a good reading on the cart itself, due to the size compared to my IR gun, but I would imagine its warmer by a bit.

Of course. It's 400 degrees in there and it's a thin metal wall so the outer surface of the tube is also close to that temperature. Delrin is a good insulator, but that just means heat flows slowly though it, it's caught on the outside, too cool for radiation, all out of conduction and now all it can to is try to heat what air is in contact (convection). That's about what a guy would expect. Which is also why running it without the heat shield will increase the thermal losses and therefore power needs.

Anyway, I'd advise against touching it.....

Thanks for the numbers.

OF

Thanks for the numbers.

OF
That's all I'm giving. No fight here, we all know a 100% pure convection vape(portable or not) will be pretty challenging(refrigerant around herb chamber maybe? Sounds terrible don't it). But we got a step in the right direction here on the portable side.

havealight101,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Dropped my extended mouthpiece AND the smoothflow into a murky lake never to be seen again today. It was not a good day.

darkrom,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Dropped my extended mouthpiece AND the smoothflow into a murky lake never to be seen again today. It was not a good day.
Sorry dude . . .

sadfacen.jpg

t-dub,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm going to have to place an order for smooth flow, t1 to evo adapter interface, extended mouth piece and who knows what else lol. I'm just saving up for a big order at this point because all these small orders are killing me with shipping prices.

darkrom

Great Scott!
$51ish shipped. Evo interface, o ring kit, and smooth flow ($30 seems incredibly steep and yet I ordered it again...guess its worth it). I hope I don't drop or break anything else. I've had incredibly bad luck with this vape lately, but its just that...luck. Or my own fault even. Definitely not TV to blame, but it is certainly frustrating. Then again if it were a less modular vape I might be really screwed.

Had to pass on the extended mouthpiece for now. The extra length on the smooth flow + extended is partially why I lost it. I did like the greater distance though, so it'll be in a future order for sure.

darkrom,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Broke down and bought the SV Evo today and PureFlow Filter and extra set of batteries.... Can't wait to try this thing out. Is TV gonna be at the cup next weekend?

ru_frothi,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
rufrothy: Most of us feel the Pure-Flow is really only suitable for the Rev/Dart, not so much for the T1 or Evo. It just restricts the air flow too much. The Evo setup has a UFO built into the delrin insulating sleeve, so there's no need for the Pure-Flow to block bits of herbal material. The Smooth-Flow is another story though. It doesn't attempt to block particles, but it does allow you to saturate the ceramic inside to help cool and moisten the vapor.

If I'm not misunderstanding things, I think you might want to consider calling/emailing Thermovape and asking them to change the Pure-Flow you ordered into a Smooth-Flow.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Just touching base here on the bowl packing..?

The discovery that using without the stock outer sleeve seemed to achieve larger clouds had me thinking it might be the packing. The reason been the sound difference and the feel in the pull was slightly different.

I am now using the stock sleeve. Mind you I like the extended mouth piece with it. Also use the O ring for sure. (Hate to drop it a Lake. jk) But now pack more in. Been adding a bit more each time and check for tighter feel in the draw. So far it seems like you can pack the hell out of it and still get good draw. I am up to close to the same as the T1 when packed to the normal 90% or so capacity. And performs great, get around 7 or more good hits. However, the bottom does char some what. Myself, I don't mind this as not that bad. (no combustion)

Now this is based on the herb I am now using as many variables between how the different herb vapes. The batch I presently have was initially very dry and vaped poorly. Put a small slice of apple peel in the bag with it. Used apple as was the first fruit I saw. The next day it was much nicer and I medium ground it. Slightly moist feeling but not sticky.

I still like the taste better with the T1 even though you have to fiddle with it more. Also, puff per puff the T1 seems to have better mileage. At least now with the over packing....

Anyone else finding this? Or I'm I losing it.....again?

Pipes

Pipes,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yea, i have had the same results.
I never expected this when I first ordered. That's for sure and a nice surprise. Great for for visits to the John between dinner and dessert....:tup: Come out with a hot pocket though...
Almost wondering if I should have a couple more to keep preloaded.
Pipes

OF

Yea, i have had the same results.

You know, when I first tried Evolution out I briefly tried different fills and came to the 'full by not tightly packed' conclusion and never went back to explore it again now that I can run it better. If you guys are getting good results, it seems like time to rethink that.

And it's very encouraging to me that you seem to be embracing the heat shield again, how it could be so much better for that reason had me thrown for the proverbial loop.

Thanks for the updates.

OF

OF,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Pipes: I don't pack quite that much, but (as you might guess from my messages), I'm a HUGE fan of connecting the mouthpiece directly to the Evo core, while covering it with the modified delrin insulating sleeve. The problem I found with a really tightly packed load was that it required hernia level suction to work at all. I have noticed that different strains of herb work better with different packing levels. My experience is that the more moist/sticky/dense strains work better with a lighter pack, and the drier strains work fine with a heavier pack. I also noticed that a fine grind really requires a light pack, and a finger crumbled load can be packed a bit more with no hernia.

I've always used an extended length delrin mouthpiece when connecting directly to the core, and the past week or so, I've been using the same mouthpiece with a UFO in the end; I'm finding that I don't have to vary the load amount and packing amount anymore. As I mentioned in an earlier message, the UFO serves to also pack the load down a little, since it extends quite a ways into the core. I generally load the core fully, tapping the base of the TV at 25% full, 50% full, 75% full, and then at 100% full. When I insert the UFO mouthpiece, it packs the load down, probably to about 75%. This method has worked great for me, regardless of strain.

I'll post a picture or two tomorrow of my setup, as requested last week while I was on the road without my TV.

Haywood,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Haha pipes the missing o-ring has NOTHING to do with my over extended mouthpiece (smooth flow AND extended mouthpiece) being long and simply flopping off the top of my vape while handling it.

darkrom,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
over extended mouthpiece (smooth flow AND extended mouthpiece) being long and simply flopping off the top of my vape while handling it.

So darkrom, I have to know, DID you go into the water after it? Did you look for it? :ninja:

t-dub,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Pipes: I don't pack quite that much, but (as you might guess from my messages), I'm a HUGE fan of connecting the mouthpiece directly to the Evo core, while covering it with the modified delrin insulating sleeve. The problem I found with a really tightly packed load was that it required hernia level suction to work at all. I have noticed that different strains of herb work better with different packing levels. My experience is that the more moist/sticky/dense strains work better with a lighter pack, and the drier strains work fine with a heavier pack. I also noticed that a fine grind really requires a light pack, and a finger crumbled load can be packed a bit more with no hernia.

I've always used an extended length delrin mouthpiece when connecting directly to the core, and the past week or so, I've been using the same mouthpiece with a UFO in the end; I'm finding that I don't have to vary the load amount and packing amount anymore. As I mentioned in an earlier message, the UFO serves to also pack the load down a little, since it extends quite a ways into the core. I generally load the core fully, tapping the base of the TV at 25% full, 50% full, 75% full, and then at 100% full. When I insert the UFO mouthpiece, it packs the load down, probably to about 75%. This method has worked great for me, regardless of strain.

I'll post a picture or two tomorrow of my setup, as requested last week while I was on the road without my TV.

It was your posts about the sleeveless method that got me to try it. And found it did something that enhanced the experience. It just made no sense about the lack of sleeve??? The stock UFO does do a very small bit of packing but not near as much as using a direct frip tip insertion.
I have found that around 225 mg of the herb I have at present is about a max fill. Where as the level of choice in the T1 is about 240 mg At this level the pull is a little tighter but not a hernia maker by no means.

This is a big deal IMHO because it makes the difference of been close to where you want to be but not quite to, OK, I can live with just one for now. So one trip to the Latrine is enough without having to repack a bowl. I do notice that some taste seems for-fitted and really seems like it's done before you'd expect when comparing similar load in the T1. Nevertheless, always good to have options.

The extended mouth piece sure does help cool it a bit. I'm using a small piece of hosing as well to secure it better to the sleeve. I found it falls out too easy for me. Now it stays in place and can pull it from my storage pouch by the mouthpiece. Speaking of mouthpieces, should be getting my smoothflow soon, can't wait to try that in the mix.:brow:

For filling I have been shaking it down little by little as you do. I found if you leave an air pocket in there the whole process screws up somewhat. I have lately just putting the amount I guesstimate to be a full load in my palm and just scoop off like with the T1. Pack it in till gone. Let the mouthpiece do the finial push.

Curious to see you set-up.

Pipes

Pipes,
Top Bottom