Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

darkrom

Great Scott!
what is this? a new 1 piece Evo interface...?

sorry. ill go back and read now :doh:

Yes sorry for the confusion this was the T1 interface. I only posted here about it because for whatever reason this is the thread I mentioned it when it broke, rather than the T1 thread by mistake. I just didn't want people thinking TV left me hanging. I figured their customer service applies to all products anyway.

Plus my evo is on its way, I get to join the party soon. Can't wait to try it with my 12 arm bubbler!

darkrom,

2clicker

Observer
I'm not so sure this is a good idea at all. If this thing can melt Delrin it's getting seriously hot for most plastics and silicone rubbers....... Evolution can get mighty hot all the way to the top, which is why it has melted Delrin mouthpieces.

I understand these things concern some more than others, but I don't think I'd recommend sucking the fumes in until I knew more about the materials???

OF

maybe so with the Omi mouthpiece, but i assumed that considering its used for an oil cart that it was meant to get pretty damn hot. however the Omi carts dont get as hot as the Evo. regardless ive used both the Omi mouthpiece and the "delrin rubber" ones that come with the Gmans/smoktech/etc. cartomizers and niether have come anywhere close to melting. ive pulled them on and off when at full temp, before and after and have never experienced any funny tastes or seen any deformation of the rubber. plus the rubber mouthpiece attaches to the outside of the Evo chamber and not the inside. i would imagine its considerably cooler on the outside than the inside.

and if these rubbers arent adequate then im sure TV can source a rubber that is. a rubber mouthpiece is the only option for the Evo IMO. i cant even use the standard TV mouthpiece with my Evo anymore. its just too uncomfortable once the Evo gets properly warmed up.

2clicker,

OF

maybe so with the Omi mouthpiece, but i assumed that considering its used for an oil cart that it was meant to get pretty damn hot. however the Omi carts dont get as hot as the Evo. regardless ive used both the Omi mouthpiece and the "delrin rubber" ones that come with the Gmans/smoktech/etc. cartomizers and niether have come anywhere close to melting. ive pulled them on and off when at full temp, before and after and have never experienced any funny tastes or seen any deformation of the rubber. plus the rubber mouthpiece attaches to the outside of the Evo chamber and not the inside. i would imagine its considerably cooler on the outside than the inside.

and if these rubbers arent adequate then im sure TV can source a rubber that is. a rubber mouthpiece is the only option for the Evo IMO. i cant even use the standard TV mouthpiece with my Evo anymore. its just too uncomfortable once the Evo gets properly warmed up.

OK, I kinda expected this, which is good.

I do think the heat is higher than intended for these parts. I've never even seen a GM unit, but I assume it works like others in that there's a tiny little heater (relatively) a long ways away and only vapor (with very little hot air) is drawn up, nothing at all like what we have here. As for what the specs of "delirn rubber" is is anyone's guess since the material doesn't exist. Go look it up, Acetal plastics (like Delrin) are resins, not polymers....two entirely different classes of materials. One is rigid, the other not for openers. Marketing BS?

Since the wall of the tube is fairly thin aluminum, I'd vote for the outer surface under that insulator to be higher than below it, basically the hottest spot on the outside. Heat conducts through such metals very well, the inside and outside temperatures should be very close when the 'heat load' (energy being conducted away, in our case by heating air on the outside and radiation) is low like it is already, more so insulated. Both the inner and outer temperature will go up I think?

I'm not sure TV can source such a rubber, I'm not sure they exist. Some silicone rubbers are OK that high, but I'm not sure if they can be molded and will have the correct other properties. And I'm not at all sure that such material usage fits their business model, that's their call.

I'm sure they're going to be responsive to 'I can't use your product any more', but I'm not sure you'll get a lot of agreement from them on the "once the Evo gets properly warmed up" part, they no doubt have a few opinions on how the machine was designed to be used and what using it "properly" is all about? Not that a guy shouldn't experiment and all, but I'm not sure everyone agrees this is a good idea yet, and I think someone should point out to the new guys that this is what it is? Using unknown parts in a new application in a way some have concerns about. Leads to a more informed decision, perhaps?

OF

OF,

ctweips

I do think the heat is higher than intended for these parts. I've never even seen a GM unit, but I assume it works like others in that there's a tiny little heater (relatively) a long ways away and only vapor (with very little hot air) is drawn up, nothing at all like what we have here. As for what the specs of "delirn rubber" is is anyone's guess since the material doesn't exist. Go look it up, Acetal plastics (like Delrin) are resins, not polymers....two entirely different classes of materials. One is rigid, the other not for openers. Marketing BS?

Since the wall of the tube is fairly thin aluminum, I'd vote for the outer surface under that insulator to be higher than below it, basically the hottest spot on the outside. Heat conducts through such metals very well, the inside and outside temperatures should be very close when the 'heat load' (energy being conducted away, in our case by heating air on the outside and radiation) is low like it is already, more so insulated. Both the inner and outer temperature will go up I think?

I'm not sure TV can source such a rubber, I'm not sure they exist. Some silicone rubbers are OK that high, but I'm not sure if they can be molded and will have the correct other properties. And I'm not at all sure that such material usage fits their business model, that's their call.

I'm sure they're going to be responsive to 'I can't use your product any more', but I'm not sure you'll get a lot of agreement from them on the "once the Evo gets properly warmed up" part, they no doubt have a few opinions on how the machine was designed to be used and what using it "properly" is all about? Not that a guy shouldn't experiment and all, but I'm not sure everyone agrees this is a good idea yet, and I think someone should point out to the new guys that this is what it is? Using unknown parts in a new application in a way some have concerns about. Leads to a more informed decision, perhaps?

OF
Would the PTFE mouthpiece be of the same concern as the delrin? I have seen no mention of one of those deforming in the heat.

ctweips,

2clicker

Observer

OF

yeah that is why i put " " around the delrin rubber... i wasnt sure if it actually existed. makes me wonder even more about Gmans.

and i could have swore that the only aluminum parts on the Evo/TV unit was the battery sleeve and main sleeve. and that the Evo itself is constructed from brass and then nickle plated... even the herb chamber part is brass and not aluminum. im pretty sure that is the case no...?

either way the rubber mouthpieces im using are not melting and i am applying lots of heat to them. in fact i can hold the Evo at the mouthpiece when fully heated and its not too hot. off gassing...? possibly i suppose, but wouldnt i taste something? or wouldnt the appearance of the material change if this was the case?

if this rubber is getting too hot then i have no idea how to tell that to be so. doesnt melt, smell funny, taste funny, or appear to be out of the norm at all.

now im very curious.

as for the properly heated up part... i call it that because that is what it takes for me to get good results from it. otherwise it can be a bit dissapointing.

2clicker,

OF

Would the PTFE mouthpiece be of the same concern as the delrin? I have seen no mention of one of those deforming in the heat.

PTFE ("Teflon") has a much higher temperature rating (which is why you can bake with it), I wouldn't expect any issues.

yeah that is why i put " " around the delrin rubber... i wasnt sure if it actually existed. makes me wonder even more about Gmans.

and i could have swore that the only aluminum parts on the Evo/TV unit was the battery sleeve and main sleeve. and that the Evo itself is constructed from brass and then nickle plated... even the herb chamber part is brass and not aluminum. im pretty sure that is the case no...?

as for the properly heated up part... i call it that because that is what it takes for me to get good results from it. otherwise it can be a bit dissapointing.

I hear you about the questioning part, as if we really needed more nails for that coffin? When you start faking materials......

I could be wrong in that the tube is plated brass (in which case the problem is actually worse, not better....). With I think the sole exception of the SS and teflon loading tool I think everything machined from metal is either 6061 Aluminum or lead free free machining brass. None the less it's metal that conducts heat very well relative to air or the plastic mouthpiece, heat will increase under the mouthpiece (insulation).

I understand about the 'properly' part, I was poking a bit of fun with the term. For sure TV supports reasonable experimenting with their stuff, but there are limits. For instance the fellow that was putting the better part of a gram in his Revolution and then torching the outside to heat it up.....I bet he got great hits all right but I suspect the TV guys kinda cringed when they read stuff like that. You're nowhere near that, of course, the rules say you can hold the key down until the lights dim out without ever taking a hit and the machine will survive. It's just if you're using it in a mode that gets it hotter than designed to run at typically it might not get all the support you might otherwise?

Good luck with your experiments, please keep us posted?

TIA

OF

OF,

OF

now im worried that the MP im using could be harmful. :doh:

sucks cuz i really prefer it.

Lots of things in life are harmful at some level, the one's worth doing sometimes more so. It's a matter of degrees (sorry, couldn't resist....). It's a real long shot, but it is a commercial product, there's supposed to be a MSDS available on the part that either names the exact material or lays out the temperature specs directly. Fat chance that that is probably, have to write one for 'Delrin Rubber' first I guess.

Part of the problem is some of the stuff that can come out is pretty nasty. Nerve gas kinda nasty. One of the shadetree tests for such materials is to bake them at a higher temperature then carefully test for changes in weight (which can be slight) and physical properties. If it survives a bake for a reasonable time then you can (advisedly) use it at a lower temperature. How wide that safety margin should be I'll leave to others.

For myself, I see a different standards for personal use and those advised for others. Risks I take are my business, but I'd hate to lead some innocent onto the thin ice.....as I'm sure most if not all would.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
380007_10151061974695451_876717358_n.jpg

jambandphan03,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Too bad I didn't see this a few minutes ago, I would have added it to my order and tried it out... oh well, next time. :p
I have one but added another one to my order because to make it work you need to cut down the poker part. I did not want to sacrifice it for an experiment. My thought is to cut it down and thin it out. Could just cut it off but always have that option. Since the UFO piece is on the bottom the length of herb space becomes less. But if we're going to pack it...? The remaining stick can help with unloading the spent herb.
Planning to plug the Smooth Flow into it and then the month piece.
Pipes

Pipes,

ctweips

The more i use the evo, the more I refine my technique and the amount of vapor I am getting out of a small amounts of herb is increasing all the time. It's amazing. I have had this for 2 months now and I am still getting better and better at using it. I am now getting consistent thick clouds from hit one to about 5. This has completely replaced combustion in my routine. Even when out with friends I can bring a couple of batteries along and vape while thy smoke a blunt or bowl. Its amazing and I cannot wait for future products.

propjoe

i'd love to get to that point. i can sometimes get some nice little puffs. but most times i feel like i am getting nothing. very inconsitant results.

propjoe,

OF

i'd love to get to that point. i can sometimes get some nice little puffs. but most times i feel like i am getting nothing. very inconsitant results.

You know how to get to Carnegie Hall? Practice. Practice, practice, practice. The chap above took months to gain the skill (or so he said). I don't expect it to always take that long, but I also don't expect it to happen automatically. My advice is to follow the guidelines, all three steps. Preheat well (more is better than less here if in question), draw air through to get the load up to temperature well before trying for a hit. Then follow your successes, trying to repeat them and then trying slight modifications for their effects.

The learning can be fun too......

Good luck.

OF

OF

OF nailed it! The key is the preheat. Once it's up to temp she will perform.

Thanks, VNB, but Tim's the guy that put me wise to it. "Let it run, we make tough heaters" was a real learning moment for me. Letting it run over long before going to step 2 taught me how long it needed to run to work right (it's easy to cut back a bit at a time from there). That time also gets longer through the session as the battery gets weaker, but is shorter if it's already hot. You need to learn to control it....or just go a little longer to be sure.

New guys try to rush this part too much.....which is understandable but not a good plan.

OF

OF,
Reactions: t-dub
Is it easier to get big clouds with the T1?
For beginners I would recommend letting the device preheat for 40+ seconds. This will get you some nice hits while you become accustomed to the airflow needed to get consistent good hits with less heatup.

Futuretvowner,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
Is it easier to get big clouds with the T1?

I find the T1 is easier to pull consistent, large hits from throughout the full load. The Evo has less of a "sweet spot" in it's operating range, but no doubt it can really knock your socks off too given the right user inputs. I think it's much easier to char the bottom of your Evo load if you get it a bit hot, since it is a no-stir device. The no stirring required part is a positive thing in many ways, but shaking the T1 up between hits has a nice benefit of ABV that is a uniform brown.

Peloton,
So I got my evolution today and it won't even get red hot...like no heat the batteries were fully charged any help :(

iDropDatsik,
Top Bottom