Discontinued Thermovape Cera

Chill Dude

Sure. Is three bucks too much? Shipping included. I love these guys, my advice is to buy a few. They're plenty cheap and get here very fast, I have several spread around:
http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320

OF

No, $3 is definitely in my price range!! Sounds like a solid choice for my simple needs. How about a small heat gun, basically a high powered blow dryer I guess. Would those produce enough heat to melt in shatter or thicker consistency type concentrates? If that could work, I wouldn't even have to buy butane. Your thoughts? As Photorider said "a bic lighter would almost work", so why not a heat gun?

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
The only issue with the heat gun is the air flow. I use one at times, but if you are not careful the air flow can splatter your oil :)

For cleaning somethings that is what you want to a degree...

Chill Dude

Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 3 buck butane lighter. You can't even buy a Starbucks drink for $3 LOL. However, if It works well, and it's good enough for OF and Bob...then it's good enough for me....

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
What torch - the one I like so much I decided to keep :D

Yep, its a keeper, and thanks for reminding me, need to grab it out of the drawer and keep it in sight...

Last edited:

atran4284

So I have been doing some research, but it is still unclear to me. People are simply saying that the Cera "titanium" has nothing to do with performance. I thought the titanium would be included to enhance the vaping quality. Does the titanium even heat up on the product. Any help is appreciated.

atran4284,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
So I have been doing some research, but it is still unclear to me. People are simply saying that the Cera "titanium" has nothing to do with performance. I thought the titanium would be included to enhance the vaping quality. Does the titanium even heat up on the product. Any help is appreciated.
The titanium option is a little but lighter than the SS, and is more durable and last longer than SS. More of an option for people using or exposing it to harsh environments or people that want to be able to torch it clean. I believe...

tedthehed

finally found the source of the information re : using the LL cart., I semi-quoted earlier--
hate leaving ends loose, so;
http://www.medicaljane.com/review/the-thermovape-cera-by-thermo-essence-technologies/
Start by preheating your Cera (unpacked) for 20 to 30 seconds until you see the heating element begin to glow through the holes in the bottom of the bowl. At this point, pack your finely ground herb into the bowl all the way to the rim and fit the mouthpiece and cap back on.
During the first draw you will really be able to taste the herb, but no heavy vapor will be produced. Continue to hold the heater while inhaling deeply at a slow to medium pace. After about 30 more seconds of this process, you should be able to see a fairly heavy vapor upon exhale. If you are not, it is because you are probably letting the bowl cool down too much between hits.
Since the bowl is so small (done intentionally) some users with iron lungs are able to fully vape the usable contents off their herb in a long draw or two. I personally like this about the Cera because your herb goes much further this way. One normal snap in the Toro can provide for a full medicating session with the Cera. You will be pleasantly surprised at how much you can get off one small bowl..."

...and as an added treat, my faithful reader; a. Teflon coated needle pointed awl great for scraping out bowl, and tamping;

http://www.bonefolder.com/category_s/1850.htm

Last edited:

VapoRoor

DAB-a-DAB I'll dooooo
Well I received my Sony 2250mAh 3.7v V3 batteries about 3 days ago.
So far I've vaped 5 bowls. Haywood was right. A bit faster heat up time and less run time. I am learning not to take my time with these batteries as the core heats up relatively faster than the Panasonic 2900PD

2 seconds and I get a glow.
About 7 to 10 seconds I get a full glow

So far I like these batteries

About 4 bowls with the 2900PD
(About half a year old)

3 bowls with the 2250
(I've only charged them both once so full capacity hasn't Been achieved)

OF

finally found the source of the information re : using the LL cart., I semi-quoted earlier--
hate leaving ends loose, so;
http://www.medicaljane.com/review/the-thermovape-cera-by-thermo-essence-technologies/

Thanks for the reference, although I disagree with that part. That's definitely not official (but notice the reference to 'advanced technique', so the word was out.......).

I would never disparage the authors but I'll give odds they never test drove one.....there were very very few that had that prototype switch, I believe I have the only one still remaining. I was told I was the only Beta tester to get one (the others were 'shop units').

Notice the photos are for brand new units? Not what you see with Beta or loaners.....

No matter, really. That advice is lame, it does no good at all to preheat the LL bowl. It'll cool off just after you burn your fingers on it trying to load. Waste of time and battery. The proven routines are out there and in use by hundreds of happy campers. Start with 3 distinct steps until you learn it, same as T1 and Evolution before it.

Thanks again for the reference, but I suggest that which doesn't miss the mark there is seriously outdated. TV has this covered in both their Manual and Quick start guides (neither of which includes preheating before loading):

http://static.squarespace.com/stati...b0db0027e74b7d/1377902268644/User manual .pdf
http://static.squarespace.com/stati...bc62/1361605202217/Quick_Start_Guide_Cera.pdf

OF

tedthehed

http://static.squarespace.com/stati...b0db0027e74b7d/1377902268644/User manual .pdf :

".....Warm Up

Proceed with a 20-30 second warm up time. This is done by turning on the device by depressing and holding the momentary Switch. Follow up with a very slow and steady inhale, while keeping the power on. It is important to note that the hot air needs to contact and circulate the cham ber air, bringing the material up to vaping temperature. the quicker the draw, the cooler the chamber will become, while a slower draw will warm up the chamber; each user will find their own preference...." --TV

tedthehed,

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Yes, note that that part comes after they say to load the cartridge. I believe the original debate centered around whether you need to "watch for a glow" each time, which would require heating before loading.

nopartofme,
Reactions: OF

tedthehed

no,

it was a discussion prompted by my asking how to get more vapor out my LL Cera cart..
I figure it was resolved around the time I suggested looking before loading was possibly suggested merely as a test now and then, to gauge the battery capacity, and make sure all was operational.. I believe someone here was hung up about looking and seeing the glow, like it was gonna turn him to a pillar of salt, or something..and burn their fingers, their lips, and god knows what other protuberant body parts..I find absolutely no problem looking at the heating element glow before I load the pipe..it takes that much less time to come up to temperature ..

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Alright, I was just confused then why you quoted that part from the directions. It lines up with what we've been saying.

I can't see why loading first would make it heat up slower.

Watching for a little glow first is something I do, to check that the battery is in order. I just want to make sure no one thinks there's any reason to heat it to full glow prior to loading it up.

nopartofme,
Reactions: OF

tedthehed

well there are two reasons I'm aware of so far: to make sure it's 'on' , and, to judge the battery capacity.. I count the seconds, 20 seconds seems good, 15 seconds is a fresh battery, etc...ymmv.

...also, it's part of the preheating..heat up time to gaping temp. shorter with a 15-20 second heating before loading the bowl..

(which was another disagreement with the other poster.)

Last edited:
tedthehed,

TheRobbo

I 'always' turn on before I load. I pop on my latching mod make sure I get glow within 4 or 5 seconds and then I start to load but am quite happy to take my time, even waiting for full glow sometimes and I never burn my fingers as by 30 seconds the cart is warm but by no means too hot. Left another 10 or 20 and it would be anothe matter but I dont touch the bowl to load any way...
No I turn on first for two reasons the first being because it is f'ing cool watching it start to heat, and second because for ME I dont find I get enough vapour without loads of heat in the thing, once the whole heat chamber heats up it radiates heat tp the air passing through not just the coil and I find it produces much denser vapour much more effortlessly, which 'I' like.

Notice I stress this is my preference and may not be that of others. Also the ambient air temp is quit cool here at the moment (10 deg C) it may be a completely different story when it's 40-45 degrees centigrade in a few months time

R

OF

no, it was a discussion prompted by my asking how to get more vapor out my LL Cera cart..
I figure it was resolved around the time I suggested looking before loading was possibly suggested merely as a test now and then, to gauge the battery capacity, and make sure all was operational..

I recall it being a discussion prompted by your statement that 'the first step in loading is to run the heater....'.

I too thought it'd been put to rest when you said you now thought it was a 'once in a while' (not every time) deal, but you days later brought up the easily misunderstood (and IMO false in places) reference above.

For the record, I'm in no fear of being turned into any such of pillar.....interesting analogy given Lot's wife suffered such for disobeying simple instructions...... I do, however, have 'a thing' for bad advise that might be taken for good on this Forum. I think guys should be able to trust the advice they get here, or at least know the reasons behind it? Informed choices being the goal.

Alright, I was just confused then why you quoted that part from the directions. It lines up with what we've been saying.

I can't see why loading first would make it heat up slower.

Watching for a little glow first is something I do, to check that the battery is in order. I just want to make sure no one thinks there's any reason to heat it to full glow prior to loading it up.

That's how I recall it as well, and I was there......

I agree, preheating before loading is not going to effect timing all that much, it rapidly cools off to a temperature that it can achieve in a second or to from cold (the slow part of heat up is at the top end, not the bottom).

Watching the core to gauge battery is fine, but overdoing it only wastes time and battery power. And for sure it's not a necessary step each time.

OF

OF

atran4284

From my understanding the pin isn' really that important unless im planning on storing it away with the battery in, right?

atran4284,

TheRobbo

From my understanding the pin isn' really that important unless im planning on storing it away with the battery in, right?

That's correct. Mine got used once before it got taken away by mr police man cause it was in my stash box... I still Thank the weed gods every day the full unit wasn't in there at the time.
I will say the few times ive put it in my pocket fully loaded with battery in ready to go I have worried but it seems unfounded as it has never gone off in there. Though I do make sure there is nothing else sharing the pocket that could press the button

R

TheRobbo,
Reactions: Tom Funk

tedthehed

sounds like you could use some sort of protective rim around the edge of the button to prevent activation when pressed against a flat or slightly convex surface..
Im going to try glueing an o ring around the circumference , just to make sure it doesn't go off when put in it's cup holder , vertically...

so what will be the glue du jour? silicone seems ideal, though it will take many hours to set..so forget that. jb weld? something temporary? sticky putty maybe.. hot melt glue? fugitive glue? snot?

OF

Im going to try glueing an o ring around the circumference , just to make sure it doesn't go off when put in it's cup holder , vertically...

so what will be the glue du jour? silicone seems ideal, though it will take many hours to set..so forget that. jb weld? something temporary? sticky putty maybe.. hot melt glue? fugitive glue? snot?

Glues will be a tough fit. On one side you have metal, the other rubber. Not an easy mix, especially if you're trying to be neat. Hot melt is probably a good call for fast and easy to recover from, but adhesion to the ring is probably going to be bad (don't expect it to last too long). OTOH you can drop the ring and just build up a ring of the glue itself.

Or you can try what I did 'in the day' when I was messing with it. I first used a one inch cap (the same one as for the 'latching switch' mod in fact) to hold the ring in place. A second version just saw a big hole in the bottom the the cap and no ring.

Another option is an insert for the cup holder with a funnel shaped one inch hole in the center with depressed bottom? Maybe stacked sheets of HDPE foam glued together?

Good luck with it.

OF

Dr. Plutonious

So I'm very interested in the Cera (helps that there are a few in the classifieds currently) and was trying to get a better understanding of it.

The common cons I've seemed to find out are:

'Interesting/ suggestive' shape.
Odd button placement, causes peoples fingers to get tired.
Gets extremely hot extremely fast.
Not the best 'portable' portable because it is big and awkwardly fits in a persons pocket.

Still, clearly this thing is a hell of a vape because everyone still reviews it very positively.

Does anyone use the Cera as their main portable and what do you think of these cons? Personally, I don't mind the shape or button placement, but the temperature of the unit is the biggest concern for me because I know I'd be sharing with my friends. I personally have a pretty high heat tolerance on my hands (the result of being a waiter for sometime), but it be disappointing if friends couldn't use the device because their inability to deal with heat.

Dr. Plutonious,
Reactions: nopartofme
Top Bottom