Discontinued Thermovape Cera

Tweek

I didn't notice the leaking during fill or in use. I took a few hits last night and everything seemed fine, then in the morning I looked at it and noticed a little oil coming from the little vent holes. So I unscrewed the heater core and there was a mess of oil below. Do you think the heater core is defective? Or, I guess I could have inadvertently overfilled it. I thought if you did happen to overfill the oil would just sit on top of the ceramic pad, not gush out the bottom. BTW, I'm new to these higher end oil vapes. Before Cera I was mainly hitting oil with a dab style vape pen...

You can overfill the Cera. Also, if you accidentally blow in, it could push oil down toward the air intake. I think the max for Cera is around .5?

Chill Dude

How much did you put inside? Are there any loose screws that you can see?

No, the screws look fine. I did add oil yesterday maybe .3g over .3g. I think? See that's the whole problem it seems like its a guessing game. I mean, you want to top off with enough that you get those big tasty hits, but it's hard to know the limitations. Maybe, it's like Photorider said "learning curve".....

Chill Dude,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
Mine comes from the seal around trhe center post, not so much from the air holes... Typically from over heat/fill together. Really have not had much issue in use, but I don't hit it more that 1-2 at a time and use a cool down cycle at the end of each draw...

The suggested method to load is to weight the cart when new, load, weigh, use, reload and weigh keeping the wax < ~ 0.5 gram

The cart will register about 0.2-0.3 extra after the 1st load - it stays in the disks (or on them) until you clean it (which is a good reason not to unless there is a reason to). So the 2nd through nth loads adding 0.2-0.3 is fine as long as it starts with about the same.

I don't through 0.3 in one try. I break it up. I notice when empty it sucks it in quickly. As it gets fuller it slows. That's a feedback method...

Last edited:

Chill Dude

Mine comes from the seal around trhe center post, not so much from the air holes... Typically from over heat/fill together. Really have not had much issue in use, but I don't hit it more that 1-2 at a time and use a cool down cycle at the end of each draw...

The suggested method to load is to weight the cart when new, load, weigh, use, reload and weigh keeping the wax < ~ 0.5 gram

The cart will register about 0.2-0.3 extra after the 1st load - it stays in the disks (or on them) until you clean it (which is a good reason not to unless there is a reason to). So the 2nd through nth loads adding 0.2-0.3 is fine as long as it starts with about the same.

I don't through 0.3 in one try. I break it up. I notice when empty it sucks it in quickly. As it gets fuller it slows. That's a feedback method...

Yeah, I think mine was leaking around the center post below the heater as well. Then when I sat it on its side the oil moved throughout the lower chamber and started to leak through the vent holes as well.

Great guidance on loading methods! I'm going to be very conservative in loading going forward..

I didn't think overloading would actually cause it to leak out of the bottom of the heater. I simply thought if you overloaded oil it would pool a little on top of the heater and maybe leak into the mouthpiece when put on its side. That's obviously not the case LOL.

So, what do you guys think maybe a 90% chance this issue is associated with overloading(or loading too much too fast) and 10% chance it's a defective heater. I don't think that's happened very much. OTOH, I'd hate to load more oil into a defective heater! Your thoughts?

Edit: BTW, what would constitute overheating during loading? When I've been melting in wax, I generally load the material onto the ceramic pad. Then I heat for like 8 seconds and stir with a dabbing tool trying to move it down into the heater. I repeat that 3 to 4 times, or until all oil is absorbed. Is that too much heat? Sometimes I notice a little vapor then I back off the heat.

Last edited:

PhotoRider

Yeah, I think mine was leaking around the center post below the heater as well. Then when I sat it on its side the oil moved throughout the lower chamber and started to leak through the vent holes as well.

Great guidance on loading methods! I'm going to be very conservative in loading going forward..

I didn't think overloading would actually cause it to leak out of the bottom of the heater. I simply thought if you overloaded oil it would pool a little on top of the heater and maybe leak into the mouthpiece when put on its side. That's obviously not the case LOL.

So, what do you guys think maybe a 90% chance this issue is associated with overloading(or loading too much too fast) and 10% chance it's a defective heater. I don't think that's happened very much. OTOH, I'd hay to load more oil into a defective heater! Your thoughts?
Doubt its the heater, maybe bad seals

To decide that I would contact Zeki.
Overfilling does cause what you are saying also. If you overheat it in the load to continue trying to get into the cart is typically when a leak happens. Doing smaller loads helps this. Mine don't leak in use though.

I would do a fresh load, medium, not a heavy one and burn through it. Always turn off power at least the last 1/3 of the draw to cool down the cart some. See if it leaks. If not, probably the load.

Use a q-tip and reclaim it with an ISO bath...

This equipement isn't your typical e-pen type of tool. Its powerfull and requires a little more effort in use, but it seriously pays you back in spades for doing that.

Thanks for the complement, paying forward the education I received from the more experienced users such as @OF. The community here are awesome and very helpful people.

Chill Dude

Doubt its the heater, maybe bad seals

To decide that I would contact Zeki.
Overfilling does cause what you are saying also. If you overheat it in the load to continue trying to get into the cart is typically when a leak happens. Doing smaller loads helps this. Mine don't leak in use though.

Thanks Photorider, I will try a medium size load tonight and report back....

I am concerned about overheating during loading though. I take it overheating is not much of a problem unless you try to overload at the Same time. Is that correct? I edited my last post regarding heating during loading. Let me know if you think I'm overheating. Thanks..

PhotoRider

I think you may be overheating.

I use a cake icing tip (#10 I think) to loaded the wax. I heat it a bit with atorch to melt the wax and pulse the power on the Cera. About 3-5 seconds on, 10 sec off. Trynot to produce vape or bubble the wax much by the Cera heater. It will with the torch though.

Once the oil is mostly flowing in you can remove the funnel icing tip and finish. i use a needle slightly heated to remove the wax from the outside ring around the ceramic plate showing inside - angle it to force this. Avoid touching the ceramic plate - too much risk of damage, been there, done that the 1st week. My fault of course, but they were kind and fixed it under warranty. Get that from a e-pen company :)

All this becomes 2nd nature quickly. I typically keep two loaded.

Chill Dude

I think you may be overheating.

I use a cake icing tip (#10 I think) to loaded the wax. I heat it a bit with atorch to melt the wax and pulse the power on the Cera. About 3-5 seconds on, 10 sec off. Trynot to produce vape or bubble the wax much by the Cera heater. It will with the torch though.

Yeah, that's what I needed to hear. My heat pulses were longer than 3 to 5 seconds and I probably only had it off for like 5 seconds before the next pulse of heat (probably not enough time to adequately cool down). I also felt I was rushing the process. Next time when I load say .5g in a fresh core; instead of trying to melt it all in at once I'll do it in 2 or 3 stages with much less heat.

Also, I never knew that the ceramic plate was so fragile. I did gently touch it with a dab tool during stirring, but it doesn't look damaged. Next time if stirring is needed I'll stay above the ceramic pad w/o actually touching the pad.

As to the cake icing tip# 10, I'm not really certain what those are... I thought they were cone shape plastic pieces. I guess it's just hard for me to visualize how using the torch with the icing tip would actually work. How about loading a chunk of wax with a dab tool and use a lighter or touch about 1" above the dab until the wax slides onto the ceramic plate? Seems like the whole point is to get the concentrate to liquefy to a certain extent so that less heat pulses are needed. Is that right?

OF

As to the cake icing tip# 10, I'm not really certain what those are... I thought they were cone shape plastic pieces.
They definitely make metal icing tips, too. There's a few upstairs in the kitchen I know for sure.

While there might be plastic ones as well, the 'hot ticket' is the Wilton (brand) number 10:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Standard-Round-402-W-10-Cake-Party/dp/B0083B9GV2

This is the 'old school' way to load Omicron carts (put a wooden toothpick in the flue tube to plug it and give a support post for the funnel). They're plated brass and conduct heat fast and well. Very easy to control.

The brass is soft. I've used a round screwdriver blade to 'roll' a parallel bit at the small end, then flare it out to fit the bore of the EO core. This keeps it in place in the top of the core.

Some concentrates are fine to load into the well and pulse the heat to melt them in. For the stiffer ones, I too like the Wilton number 10. Preheat the core and 'wave' the torch over the brass funnel and down it goes. You can also upend the little screw top vials some concentrates come in in the funnel and torch their little bottoms a bit. I scoop the first half out (smear it on the funnel wall) and heat the whole vial for the second half.

Lots of ways to do it, for sure. Just keep the goal in mind, we want to absorb the oil into the ceramic pores under the top plate so the heater can 'flash' them from the surface of the reservoir hit after hit after hit....

Best wishes,

OF

PhotoRider

You basically got it.
I got mine at Michaels, but any store of that type or kitchen store would have them. They are sold by themselves in various sizes.
I selected one that was the same size hole as the ceramic disk. This keeps the wax focus on that...
EDIT - OF explained it completely, which was my source.

Chill Dude

Well, thanks for all the help especially Photorider and OF. I think I'm finally on the right track to effectively loading the EO!

When I got into vaping I never knew I'd be talking about DIY switch mods and icing tips among other things. It kind of cracks me up....okay gotta go it's almost Cera Time!!!

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I absolutely love the Cera. The EO cart is like @Tweek said "a fucking beast. The only issue I've ever had with it is the button. Not so much their fault but you all know I have Parkinson's Disease. I use my right hand when vaping and keeping a finger could be a challenge at times. My left hand is even harder.

Has anyone rigged anything, maybe with tubing to be able to adapt to water without inverting the cera? That's when I notice mine get's messy.

And @OF - the toothpick is perfect for sticky stuff. If I use a wax I just drop it in the middle with my finger. If it's super sticky I use the fill tool from the Persei. Funny thing is I have hundreds of pastry
tips from my days in the kitchen. Thanks for the great idea guys! :tup:

OF

Has anyone rigged anything, maybe with tubing to be able to adapt to water without inverting the cera? That's when I notice mine get's messy.

Sure TV made (and may still have some of?) just such an adapter. It had a 'drip tip' fitting on one end of a foot or so of (too heavy IMO) tube with a 14/18mm GonG fitting (made of plastic....) on the other.

I've had better luck with a piece of silicone tube over a drip tip on the Cera end and a normal 'tube to GonG' adapter like this:
http://www.pipesdaddy.com/18mm-Vaporizer-Bubbler-Knob-p/as-0035.htm

OF

Chill Dude

While there might be plastic ones as well, the 'hot ticket' is the Wilton (brand) number 10:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Standard-Round-402-W-10-Cake-Party/dp/B0083B9GV2

This is the 'old school' way to load Omicron carts (put a wooden toothpick in the flue tube to plug it and give a support post for the funnel). They're plated brass and conduct heat fast and well
OF

Thanks OF. I just ordered the #10 icing tip! The only thing I don't understand is why you need a toothpick to plug the funnel opening. I thought you just put the funnel over the ceramic pad and melt it into the plate by torch, waving it over the funnel. Why would you want to plug the hole? I don't follow. Secondly, from your posts a while back I think you recommended taking off the O-Rings prior to using the torch method. Do you still feel that is necessary, or do you think the torch is far enough away to not be a problem? Thanks

Chill Dude,
Reactions: mvapes

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Thanks OF. I just ordered the #10 icing tip! The only thing I don't understand is why you need a toothpick to plug the funnel opening. I thought you just put the funnel over the ceramic pad and melt it into the plate by torch, waving it over the funnel. Why would you want to plug the hole? I don't follow. Secondly, from your posts a while back I think you recommended taking off the O-Rings prior to using the torch method. Do you still feel that is necessary, or do you think the torch is far enough away to not be a problem? Thanks
he's talking about loading omicron carts there. as he mentions

take rings off before you torch, unless you want to torch rings

OF

Thanks OF. I just ordered the #10 icing tip! The only thing I don't understand is why you need a toothpick to plug the funnel opening.

Secondly, from your posts a while back I think you recommended taking off the O-Rings prior to using the torch method. Do you still feel that is necessary, or do you think the torch is far enough away to not be a problem? Thanks

You need the toothpick with Omicron carts (to keep the funnel from falling off.....). Like I said, I flared the lip on the one for Cera loading so it doesn't rest on the ceramic in addition to keeping it from getting 'top heavy' and falling over.

No, I leave the rings on, they're plenty far away from the heat if you're careful.

You're welcome, good luck with it.

take rings off before you torch, unless you want to torch rings

I never have, just keep the fire under control.

If you decide to pull them, be sure you have spares, sometimes they get broken....

OF

Chill Dude

So I ordered my icing tip #10 to assist in loading the more difficult concentrates. Thanks for the recommendation OF and Photorider. The problem is, I don't have a torch. Any advice on a small quality torch? I will be using mainly to load my Cera with oil, so I want one that's reasonably powerful, but not too powerful, as I'd like to control the heat so I don't blaze the O-Rings during the loading process. The one at planet Vape looks pretty nice. It's priced at $69, and it's a "Blazer GB 2001 Micro Torch". Anyone familiar with that one? Thanks..

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
So I ordered my icing tip #10 to assist in loading the more difficult concentrates. Thanks for the recommendation OF and Photorider. The problem is, I don't have a torch. Any advice on a small quality torch? I will be using mainly to load my Cera with oil, so I want one that's reasonably powerful, but not too powerful, as I'd like to control the heat so I don't blaze the O-Rings during the loading process. The one at planet Vape looks pretty nice. It's priced at $69, and it's a "Blazer GB 2001 Micro Torch". Anyone familiar with that one? Thanks..
$25 and I charge it every 3 months.
The BHO can is more than 75% full after 2 years.
The can was $5!
I have some $5 Torches that work fine.
$69 kind of like gold lined underware!

PhotoRider

I would get a torch like what Ataxian posted. Its under $10 and a right angle. You don’t need a powerful unit. A bic almost works :)

OF

Any advice on a small quality torch? I will be using mainly to load my Cera with oil, so I want one that's reasonably powerful, but not too powerful, as I'd like to control the heat so I don't blaze the O-Rings during the loading process.

Sure. Is three bucks too much? Shipping included. I love these guys, my advice is to buy a few. They're plenty cheap and get here very fast, I have several spread around:
http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320

OF

Top Bottom