The WISPR vaporizer

Viprdude

WISPR since 12/10/2011
I read through a large chunk of this thread. I would like to share my experience with the WISPR.

I have owned it since Dec. 10, 2011. Used it multiple times a day every day since I purchased this device. I have been extremely happy with the performance and medication ability the WISPR provides. I have used only Vector 5x filtered butane. I just began my third can a little over two weeks ago and just a few hours it began leaking out of the fill valve. I am saddened that this has happened and attempted rampant research for a few hours. (That is what lead me to these forums, and this thread) The igniter still causes a spark but the leak does not allow enough air and fuel to make ignition anymore so the product is now broken.

I had a green unit with a serial number on the bottom of it.

I will try to contact my local retailer where i purchased the product from tomorrow and also contact the US offices (888-710-3055) I may end up buying another one since I am so spoiled. I tried to combust tonight and it really left a foul taste in my mouth about the whole ordeal that I really am thinking about buying a new unit tomorrow.

I purchased a bunch of backup supplies and by rotating filling chambers, it allows me to have a similar performance all the time with the WISPR. Overall, I have been very satisfied with this product. No bad taste, no crazy smell, just simple vaping.

Viprdude,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I read through a large chunk of this thread. I would like to share my experience with the WISPR.

I have owned it since Dec. 10, 2011. Used it multiple times a day every day since I purchased this device. I have been extremely happy with the performance and medication ability the WISPR provides. I have used only Vector 5x filtered butane. I just began my third can a little over two weeks ago and just a few hours it began leaking out of the fill valve. I am saddened that this has happened and attempted rampant research for a few hours. (That is what lead me to these forums, and this thread) The igniter still causes a spark but the leak does not allow enough air and fuel to make ignition anymore so the product is now broken.

I had a green unit with a serial number on the bottom of it.

I will try to contact my local retailer where i purchased the product from tomorrow and also contact the US offices (888-710-3055) I may end up buying another one since I am so spoiled. I tried to combust tonight and it really left a foul taste in my mouth about the whole ordeal that I really am thinking about buying a new unit tomorrow.

I purchased a bunch of backup supplies and by rotating filling chambers, it allows me to have a similar performance all the time with the WISPR. Overall, I have been very satisfied with this product. No bad taste, no crazy smell, just simple vaping.

I went through 2 Wispr's in a 4 month period. I sold the third one i received because it was annoying me that they broke so quickly. The US office is in Crystal Lake, Illinois. It is usually a 2 week turn around from the time they get yours to the time they ship out a new one.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Viprdude

WISPR since 12/10/2011
I went through 2 Wispr's in a 4 month period. I sold the third one i received because it was annoying me that they broke so quickly. The US office is in Crystal Lake, Illinois. It is usually a 2 week turn around from the time they get yours to the time they ship out a new one.

That is a shame you went through twice as many units in a 4-month period that I did. I am sorry, sir. What did you end up replacing the WISPR with? I do not want anything to do with batteries so they are out of the question for me. Batteries cramp my style, it is what it is.

I called and spoke to them via telephone and setup a return request. Time to clean it as best as I can in prep for shipping.

In the mean time, I went out and bought another one. I already have spare parts, screens, filling chambers, butane, and other various parts to use for the device. I just missed not having one and combustion sucks. I now have a brand new blue one and a green one that leaks.

The boxes are slightly different. My old green box did not have a sticker with the serial and product number printed on it and the blue one has the newer sticker that I see on most videos and pictures of the WISPR.

Viprdude,

Psychic

Psychic Medium/Vaporist
vapegirl... there is nothing more that I would like than having my mind blown. Bring it on!

I am so unhappy and confused. I had a wonderful weekend with the Iolite Classic, which was new to me, and now it doesn't work at all, regardless of my maintenance. This is probably the wrong thread to post on it and I apologize. Perhaps I should have bought a Whspr. Or...perhaps i should not waste any more hard earned money on portable vaporizers. :(

Psychic,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I think this vaporizer has a higher than most rate of failure.. not sure if it is due to user error or something wrong with the vaping process of the unit in itself.

vorrange,

kewpcer

I think this vaporizer has a higher than most rate of failure.. not sure if it is due to user error or something wrong with the vaping process of the unit in itself.
That's iolite. I really wanted to believe the Wispr would be better than my Iolite was, and I could go back to it, but... then I read this thread.

kewpcer,

OF

I am so unhappy and confused. I had a wonderful weekend with the Iolite Classic, which was new to me, and now it doesn't work at all, regardless of my maintenance. This is probably the wrong thread to post on it and I apologize. Perhaps I should have bought a Whspr. Or...perhaps i should not waste any more hard earned money on portable vaporizers. :(

Sorry you're having problems. There's lots of folks around with Iolites with very few exceptions it seems they either get it sorted out or abandon the effort. What is the nature of the problem (no gas delivery or no spark being the most popular?). How was it doing before (fill conditions, last use, so on). What fuel are you using? Can you accurately weigh your unit, and did you think to do that empty (helps decide how much fuel is there)?

You know, details? TIA, let's see if we can get it going again, the usually can.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Psychic

Viprdude

WISPR since 12/10/2011
I have a question I would like to pose. For those who have sent a unit back to receive a replacement, how clean was the metal heating chamber when you sent it in? Getting all the crud off is becoming very laborious!! I guess this is a signal of poor maintenance?

Viprdude,

OF

I have a question I would like to pose. For those who have sent a unit back to receive a replacement, how clean was the metal heating chamber when you sent it in? Getting all the crud off is becoming very laborious!! I guess this is a signal of poor maintenance?

I've never sent one in and tend to keep mine fairly clean but making it squeaky clean should be easy. I'd use a bit of steel wool. I have 000 and 0000 grades 'all over' but a brillo pad should also work fine (wipe the soap out with a damp paper towel afterward. I'd probably make a 'q-tip' of it and a bamboo skewer or something and run circles around the pin. Change it if it gums up. It should polish you down to base metal in no time.

OF

OF,

Psychic

Psychic Medium/Vaporist
Sorry you're having problems. There's lots of folks around with Iolites with very few exceptions it seems they either get it sorted out or abandon the effort. What is the nature of the problem (no gas delivery or no spark being the most popular?). How was it doing before (fill conditions, last use, so on). What fuel are you using? Can you accurately weigh your unit, and did you think to do that empty (helps decide how much fuel is there)?

You know, details? TIA, let's see if we can get it going again, the usually can.

OF
Thank you so much for offering your kind reply! I am using Vector (which is the same I use for Vapor Genie) and after an email with Vito I am going to completely empty Iolite and refill. I used it for a weekend, cleaned it and filled it when it was empty, but perhaps wind-walking had something to do with it. I came home and I could hear the hiss and all was good and then, poof. Nothing, even after a refill. There was not even a sound when turned on. I'm on the road on a book tour and when I am back at home later, I'm going to see how things work out with the advice I've received and read about.

Again, thank you, and anyone else here for the kindness. I have found people in the marijuana community, to be so much more kinder, more understanding and balanced than those who are not! That says a lot for our choice of herb, yes? It is so refreshing and I thank you all! :)

Happy Vaping!

Psychic,

max

Out to lunch
Viprdude said:
I guess this is a signal of poor maintenance?
If you've got crud, I'd say yes. Should be nothing more than a stain. The steel wool suggestion is a good one.

Psychic said:
perhaps wind-walking had something to do with it
Doubtful, although if the unit is being used outside and it's cold enough, it can affect successful startup.
There was not even a sound when turned on.
I assume you mean you get nothing after ignition, since it's a two step process. It's always been a common problem on the iolite to fail to get ignition (2nd step). The amber light should come on, but if it doesn't, that doesn't always mean your unit is defective. Sometimes it takes repeated pressing of the button, or even shutting it off for a few minutes and trying again. If you work with it a while (and you're ceratain you have fuel in the tank), and can never get the amber light and heat up, you may well have a defective unit.

max,

OF

Thank you so much for offering your kind reply! I am using Vector (which is the same I use for Vapor Genie) and after an email with Vito I am going to completely empty Iolite and refill.

You're very welcome, thanks very much for saying so. Such manners have become rare enough these days to be a treat indeed when they happen. My respects to your grandmother.

If 'the Sage of the High Desert' (Vitolo his own self) is on the case it's as good as resolved I bet. You're in the best (and probably most experienced) hands around. Please be gentle with him, we're gonna need him a lot more later I'm thinking.

Best wishes, I'm sure it'll get sorted out directly. It worked well once, it can do it again.

OF

OF,

Psychic

Psychic Medium/Vaporist
You're very welcome, thanks very much for saying so. Such manners have become rare enough these days to be a treat indeed when they happen. My respects to your grandmother.

If 'the Sage of the High Desert' (Vitolo his own self) is on the case it's as good as resolved I bet. You're in the best (and probably most experienced) hands around. Please be gentle with him, we're gonna need him a lot more later I'm thinking.

Best wishes, I'm sure it'll get sorted out directly. It worked well once, it can do it again.

OF

Thank you OF! Vito is a friend of mine in many places around the net and I have come to rely on his expertise and am grateful for his generosity of spirit. I always hope to do the same for him and anyone I meet!

And manners are still important, and my grandmother thanks you. :)

Psychic,

Psychic

Psychic Medium/Vaporist
If you've got crud, I'd say yes. Should be nothing more than a stain. The steel wool suggestion is a good one.

Doubtful, although if the unit is being used outside and it's cold enough, it can affect successful startup.
I assume you mean you get nothing after ignition, since it's a two step process. It's always been a common problem on the iolite to fail to get ignition (2nd step). The amber light should come on, but if it doesn't, that doesn't always mean your unit is defective. Sometimes it takes repeated pressing of the button, or even shutting it off for a few minutes and trying again. If you work with it a while (and you're ceratain you have fuel in the tank), and can never get the amber light and heat up, you may well have a defective unit.

Actually, I have no sound at all when I turn it on, and it's full. Thank you for your advice. It's so very appreciated. I'll be reporting back, as I never like to leave people with negative news on a product. It's often the user's fault and not the product. I'll be reporting something positive, I predict!

Have a great day!

Psychic,

max

Out to lunch
Actually, I have no sound at all when I turn it on, and it's full.
I'm sure you know what you're doing, but just to be clear, the switch (to the left [1] for 'on') turns the vape on, and no sound is the norm. The ignition button though, is what starts the heating process and that's usually the issue when you get no heat/hissing sound. If your light goes amber when you press the button, and there's no hissing/heating, then there's no doubt your unit is defective. And if you can never get the light to turn amber, after many tries and shut downs/restarts, that's also going to be a case of repair/replacement needed. And with a good, working unit, one press of the ignition button is normally all you need. If you have to fight with it for 10 minutes every time, pressing the button over and over, I'd call that a defective unit as well, even if it heats up in the end.

max,

Psychic

Psychic Medium/Vaporist
Iolite Update: yay! Thank you to everyone and especially Vito! I am back in business after cleaning it out and circulating new Vector in it.

Happy Vapping!

Psychic,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but just to be clear, the switch (to the left [1] for 'on') turns the vape on, and no sound is the norm. The ignition button though, is what starts the heating process and that's usually the issue when you get no heat/hissing sound. If your light goes amber when you press the button, and there's no hissing/heating, then there's no doubt your unit is defective. And if you can never get the light to turn amber, after many tries and shut downs/restarts, that's also going to be a case of repair/replacement needed. And with a good, working unit, one press of the ignition button is normally all you need. If you have to fight with it for 10 minutes every time, pressing the button over and over, I'd call that a defective unit as well, even if it heats up in the end.

Sorry but when you turn the switch to the left position ( 1 ) for on, you are suppose to hear the gas hissing. Then pressing the button ignites the hissing gas. So when Psychic turned the switch to on there was no gas hissing to ignite. Happened to a lot of my iolites and I've had over 10 of them.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

MrNorml

Actually, I have no sound at all when I turn it on, and it's full. Thank you for your advice. It's so very appreciated. I'll be reporting back, as I never like to leave people with negative news on a product. It's often the user's fault and not the product. I'll be reporting something positive, I predict!

Have a great day!
First thing, go to Iolite site and use their FAQs - empty, refill, empty, refill, light type stuff. As for cleaning for return, don't worry too much - ISO wipedown should be satisfactory.

MrNorml,

MrNorml

Sorry but when you turn the switch to the left position ( 1 ) for on, you are suppose to hear the gas hissing. Then pressing the button ignites the hissing gas. So when Psychic turned the switch to on there was no gas hissing to ignite. Happened to a lot of my iolites and I've had over 10 of them.
Why have you had over 10 of them? 3 here to cover failures, but 10???

MrNorml,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Why have you had over 10 of them? 3 here to cover failures, but 10???

I have been using the original iolite since the day of its release. And that was when it was called the I - inhale. So for around 4 years I have been using one everyday at an average of 4 times a day. Every single one eventually failed. Either failed to heat or failed to ignite. I pretty much have had every color except for pink, and purple. I even had a tie dye one. Still love them and still use one. I also had 3 Wispr's in a 4 month period. 2 of them failed due to a valve problem they are having. The third one I sold on EBay.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Viprdude

WISPR since 12/10/2011
My first WISPR had a problem with containing the butane in the filling port (if that is the reported valve problem) then I hope they will replace all of the affected units. A two-year warranty is nothing to shake a finger at these days. I was mighty impressed the unit even had a warranty but two-years is gold to me!

Viprdude,
On my third WISPR now and this one seems to be kicking the bucket this week. Has gone from 1 click to ignite to about 10-20 clicks to ignite.
This is making me depressed quite frankly.. last time it took about 2 weeks to send and return the new unit. This was not O&B's fault but the postal service but it's still costing me 20 euros every time I have to send it back and I've already spent 60 euros..

Anyway, will ring them up first thing in the morning for a proper chat about this whole thing..
Also reckon I'm going to buy a MFLB as a spare in case this turns out to be a regular thing..

tetrahydrocannabinol,

OF

In the case of units that don't hiss (release gas) when expected I have a perhaps different take. I had this happen to me early on. I figured it was junk in the butane that had deposited on the aperture in the valve. It's a tiny hole the liquid gas goes through to 'flash' as the pressure drops to gas. I think deposits can form the liquid evaporates off like hard water stains build up in a sink drain. My solution was to flush them out. Fill the unit with good fuel but rather than dumping it by forcing the fill valve open with a pin, I left the unit switched on outside for the gas to leak out on it's own. It worked for me, without the heat the fuel washed the junk out of the tight spot and it started working again.

I've suggested this to a couple of others for whom it seem it worked. Not always, of course, but it might and if it does it seems to be fine after if fed good fuel.

Good luck,

OF

When i turn mine on I can hear the hissing, but I'ts weaker than before. The problem I'm having is that it takes 5-10 clicks sometimes more to get it to ignite. But that might be the starting symptom to the problem you described, I don't know.
Thinking about trying out your technique.

I also like to talk a bit about gas.
I've found two gases with the "Near zero Impurities" logo.
One of them is the recomended newport "Sarome" gas >LINK<
And the other is "Unilite" by a brand called Roermond.
I tested both of these on a mirror and both leave a stain after vaporating.
But I have no clue if this is normal with high quality butane.

If any of you have any tips where I can get a hold of better quality gas in europe, please hook me up!

tetrahydrocannabinol,
Top Bottom