The WISPR vaporizer

OF

When i turn mine on I can hear the hissing, but I'ts weaker than before. The problem I'm having is that it takes 5-10 clicks sometimes more to get it to ignite. But that might be the starting symptom to the problem you described, I don't know.
Thinking about trying out your technique.

I also like to talk a bit about gas.

I'd look at that as two separate problems. I suggest if gas flow isn't at least close to right it's not going to light no matter how many times you press. Let's fix that part first? This is the point where I suggest a flush or two with known good fuel (more on that in a minute) while cold is the call. Let it run. I noticed mine would cough and sputter a bit, I figured it was liquid butane in the trouble area and that was a good thing. All it can cost you to try is a few dollars (Marks, Euros, Pounds, Yen, whatever.....) and a little time and it might set it right (did for me and others).

Once the gas is flowing normally the lighting thing could well be sorted out as well. Pretty rugged system, as long as it sparks, it should light if the fuel is right. Like modern cars it can go a long time between tune ups....

As to clean gas, yes while it's hard to say how bad it is from here, the ideal would be no residue. Consider it's that very residue, over time, I suggest klags things up. The junk will dissolve (it had to to get to the mirror) again most likely given a chance. Or so the theory goes. As to specific brands, the guys that make BHO usually have this sorted out (go figure). In the US it all seems to be imported from Korea, long a leader in high tech lighters which can have the same issues as Iolite. Or so I understand.

OF

OF,

Viprdude

WISPR since 12/10/2011
In my ownership of a WISPR device, I have only used the 5x filtered Vector butane.

I have tried to flush my current broke unit multiple times and I think the valve is just gone. The only thing I can think of is the temp. change is causing a seal to prematurely fill or deposits are forming on the valve (precisely what OF said).

My 2nd unit sometimes takes a few more ignition click attempts than my first WISPR.

Viprdude,

OF

In my ownership of a WISPR device, I have only used the 5x filtered Vector butane.

I have tried to flush my current broke unit multiple times and I think the valve is just gone. The only thing I can think of is the temp. change is causing a seal to prematurely fill or deposits are forming on the valve (precisely what OF said).

My 2nd unit sometimes takes a few more ignition click attempts than my first WISPR.

Bummer. That's 'the good stuff' AFAIK but once it's absolutely plugged I think your're dead. "Sorry, Lady, it's gotta go to the shop". Used to say it a lot back in the days when folks fixed TVs.......

Good luck.

OF

OF,
Stopped cllicking yesterday, sent it in today..
Third time this has happened to me, I really hope they start upgrading their parts and pay some attention to their costumers..

tetrahydrocannabinol,

MrNorml

I'd look at that as two separate problems. I suggest if gas flow isn't at least close to right it's not going to light no matter how many times you press. Let's fix that part first? This is the point where I suggest a flush or two with known good fuel (more on that in a minute) while cold is the call. Let it run. I noticed mine would cough and sputter a bit, I figured it was liquid butane in the trouble area and that was a good thing. All it can cost you to try is a few dollars (Marks, Euros, Pounds, Yen, whatever.....) and a little time and it might set it right (did for me and others).

Once the gas is flowing normally the lighting thing could well be sorted out as well. Pretty rugged system, as long as it sparks, it should light if the fuel is right. Like modern cars it can go a long time between tune ups....

OF
Absolutely. Seeing the spark is a clue it isn't an ignitor problem :-) Assuming some minor similarity to a device called the "Iolite" some have found the gas line apparently has moved a slight touch to deter (may I say it?) combustion from occuring. Some have found clearing the unit out by running a run or 2 of fluid through it. I strongly recommend people look at the FAQs for the Iolite in terms of cleaning the unit and fuel to use - perhaps there is a similar one on the Whisper. If this manufacturer has one thing really figured out, it is on how to inform via FAQs.

MrNorml,
Faulty units are all I have ever received from Oglesby and Butler. I have had two Iolites which stopped working after 6 weeks and nine months respectively. O&B were generous in giving me a WISPR as a replacement for my second Iolite, but the WISPR stopped working after only 2 weeks. I tried discharging the butane and refilling several times, as well as leaving it for a few hours and trying again. I have only used Newport, one of the two recommended brands. I might add that the speed of customer support at O&B is glacial, it takes only 2-3 days for each faulty unit to reach them in Ireland from the UK, and the same to reach my home address from Ireland. The units are generally with O&B for around two weeks.

The WISPR is an awesome vape when it works, but it's a little hard to enjoy the gaps between use when the damned thing is on it's regular jaunts between the UK and Ireland. I love both the Iolite and WISPR when they work, but are they worth the hassle? There is no way I will buy extra Iolites or WISPRs to cope with their unreliable nature. I don't have two cars or two washing machines in case on breaks down, and do not want to reward O&B for supplying faulty products by purchasing more than one.

TottenhamPete,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Very true it seams we were guinea pigs for their first rounds of tests. But thats why we make sure there is a warranty when we buy these things. They fudged their first batch, but the second seems to be okay. And they stood by there word. New tech always has a had a higher than normal failure rate.
I was pissed too when my new prize possession went out of commission within a few weeks. It was embarrassing.

Ratm22,

bayneite

After a while with the Wispr (see below) I thought I'd check back in and update.

The Wispr has performed admirably on all occasions. The warmer temperatures, good airflow and redesign have delivered the promised improvements.

The Wispr in my opinion still needs more than a few minute to heat up properly and vape the contents efficiently. I run the Wispr for at least five minutes before i give it a go. After a while on the device runs a shade too hot but you soon learn where to hold the device and how hard to draw to get a not too hot air flow!

I have taken the Wispr on the road many times and it has performed like a champion. The immediate shut off is a good thing indeed. The larger gas capacity is also helpful.

All in all a thumbs up and 7 out of 10.

Greetings, I have had an Iolite for years and I have finally got the Wispr to compare it with.

The Iolite I have has never had any problems. However, with the Iolite I feel that it runs a bit cool. Good for cookies from the AVP but vaping for myself is never a really satisfying experience. Thin vapour and patchy colouring, but it does reasonably well as a portavape and has been constantly in service.

Unpacked the Wispr filled it up... it started first time. Very familiar sound from the product highlighted what is an ill conceived name it is. This Wispr runs hotter and supposedly more efficiently than the Iolite which as desired, produces a more visible and a possibly more potent vapour. Seems that the additional heat that i'm experiencing has solved a few of the performance problems. Externally I find it no hotter than the iolite to hold.

The Wispr AVP is a nice used brown colour compared to the iolites light green. Getting baked with the wispr is a much quicker affair than with the Iolite and consequently the product in the Wispr bowl is exhausted at a quicker rate.

I like the shape of both Iolite and Wispr... Iolite is more pants pocket friendly than the Wispr. The Wispr is stable on a table and discreet and will fit nicely into a jacket or coat pocket.

The fuel gauge is a very welcome addition.The Wispr has been running 75 minutes so far and is a sliver below half full. I never get more than 45 minute from the iolite. Less refilling is welcome.

I think this upgrade is worthy and I consider the improvements to be of enough consequence to justify the expense. The noise doesn't bother me at all because I knew what to expect and the long portable use time more than offsets this minor drawback. A great thing... A Wispr, a can of gas, some herb and beer with a few friends and your set with minimal mucking about. Last but not least it does what it is designed for. Peace my brothers.

bayneite,
Reactions: Ratm22

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
I concur with bayneite's review. I might lean towards a higher 7 maybe 7.4 Its great to see the tech evolving, and hopefully future models will improve upon the design.

Ratm22,

max

Out to lunch
bayneite said:
The Wispr in my opinion still needs more than a few minute to heat up properly and vape the contents efficiently.
It's easily good to go for vapor production within 90 sec. but takes a few more min. for higher temps and thicker vapor. I never wait 5-10 min. because the best taste is available early, and with conduction being a factor, I don't want to lose any of the lower temp vapor.

max,

Lupe420

I tried my buddy's WISPR & 90 seconds is just about right! My herb lasted for around 3 minutes before having to re-fill it. I finally saved up the $269 to purchase the unit, but then I saw it on Amazon for $225. Just as I was about to buy, Got Vape had a new Price Match program where I just had to enter the price that amazon offered without having to call in! At least now I know my warranty is valid, I wonder is this is for all the Vapes they offer? I can't wait to have my own WISPR!

Lupe420,

Martha72

I tried my buddy's WISPR & 90 seconds is just about right! My herb lasted for around 3 minutes before having to re-fill it. I finally saved up the $269 to purchase the unit, but then I saw it on Amazon for $225. Just as I was about to buy, Got Vape had a new Price Match program where I just had to enter the price that amazon offered without having to call in! At least now I know my warranty is valid, I wonder is this is for all the Vapes they offer? I can't wait to have my own WISPR!

If this is the case, that is the way to go! I hate having to call in just to ask for a price match when I know they see the same lower price on Amazon. Please let me know if this works out for you, the money saved can be used on the Meds :)

Martha72,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

If this is the case, that is the way to go! I hate having to call in just to ask for a price match when I know they see the same lower price on Amazon. Please let me know if this works out for you, the money saved can be used on the Meds :)

Just an FYI, but it doesn't matter if you buy an iolite / Wispr from an unauthorized dealer. As long as you have the invoice showing the date of purchase that is all you need to prove to them you are still within the 2 year warranty period.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

Vayperson

I asked the company who sold me the Wispr's to replace my unit with a Thermovape instead of a 4th Wispr and they kindly agreed. I couldn't be more happy. Yeah, I have to charge batteries but I'm done buying expensive butane and now I can vape concentrates too with the Revolution adapter!

Vayperson,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
You guys are scaring me havent used mine in a week. Here it goes...

Click... Click.... Light!

Do you guys keep the mouth piece in while its heating up? Or wait until it hits temp to insert?

OMG I just hit this thing through my nose! Kindof like it:brow:

Ratm22,

Vayperson

I definitely left the mouth piece in while it was heating up. IMO getting a good hit with the Wispr is contingent on a slow draw and the unit (including mouthpiece) being up to temp.

Vayperson,

max

Out to lunch
Vayperson said:
IMO getting a good hit with the Wispr is contingent on a slow draw and the unit (including mouthpiece) being up to temp.
Since it takes a while for the conduction heating to really 'get there', I'm assuming a good hit for you is a thick one. Wait 5 min. or so before you hit and you lose the first vapor produced, along with the best taste you'll get from that bowl. The wispr starts producing vapor in a min or so, and that's when you should start hitting it in order to get the most efficient use. If you only go for thick hits, with most any vape, you usually end up wasting vapor at both the low and high end of the temp cycle. You can't 'feel' all the hits with vaporizing, and there's just no way around it. I can get high on the beginning and ending hits from a bowl, where others think there's no vapor being produced. Light vapor is only visible when exhaled under good lighting.

max,
Reactions: OF

HaroldBuddha

I have had mine for a week now and so far so good. Hopefully mine won't fail like so many others.

HaroldBuddha,

dopefiend

Just heard from IOLITE HQ that they've pulled the WISPR from production and are making "big internal modifications". Sounds good to me as far too many were being returned for my liking. I'll keep you informed!

dopefiend,

max

Out to lunch
Just heard from IOLITE HQ that they've pulled the WISPR from production and are making "big internal modifications". Sounds good to me as far too many were being returned for my liking. I'll keep you informed!
Sounds like they were too anxious to get it on the market. :\

max,

max

Out to lunch
Gee, how do you suppose something like that happens???

OF
I don't know. No other manufacturers EVER rush THEIR products to market. :rolleyes:

its going to cost them a fortune to do this.
It depends on what they have to change. As long as they don't have to alter the housing, the costs may not be too bad. At some point, a redesign becomes more cost effective than continuing to fix/replace defectives. I imagine they're considering the bad press as well, for a high failure rate.

max,
Top Bottom