The WISPR vaporizer

fbrinsley

franklin
and o&b's refusal to help is over the line... max you're over the line. i think you need to review the rules of helping out another person. just because a person didn't save their receipt doesn't mean i stole the wispr. and so what if i did? the unit doesn't work. i'd gladly pay for a repair. nobody offered to have me send my unit it to get repaired. i was told only the original point of purchase receipt would suffice when my credit card statement actually provides more information than the receipt... there's no name calling here on the boards max and your characterization as such i find offensive... max - don't respond - leave it alone. if you can...

Modnote: Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. Read the rules.

fbrinsley,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
a lttle bit OT, but wow, awesome pics mr brinsley. great talent. brought me enjoyment. :2c:

WatTyler,

MrNorml

fbrinsley said:
mflb didn't make me jump thru hoops like this. who hoards receipts anymore? why can't they just say oh here's a guy that clearly purchased this from a retailer... says so on my credit card statement... why isn't my credit card statement sufficient? seriously i'd love to know... and are warranty requests such a burden that they have to be pricks about not helping a customer?

I now look and realize not many ebay sellers actually send receipts. The first and only time I have had to try to locate old receipts was ... my Iolite products. Ebay goes back like 6 months. One ebay seller sent me a duplicate receipt. Another seller says they don't keep them longer than 6 months. Perhaps if O&B printed serial numbers on the units they could track the 'stolen' ones they must be worried about. And since they require return of defective units, there can't be fraudulent warranty returns. Seems to me if someone stole units that didn't work they wouldn't try to return them. Maybe I'm wrong. But maybe the units should have been working when they left the factory... Anyhow, O&B is 'different' in their warranty treatment. I guess it works for them. At least so far. But when MFLB gives lifetime warranty no questions asked, and when Arizer is sending out duplicate units to try to make the customer happy, I would think if nothing else competition would require O&B to be a bit more friendly. Arogant? Selfish? Not accustomed to the US consumer market? I don't know. But they are different, for sure.

MrNorml,

Vitolo

Vaporist
After a telephone conversation with fbrinsley, a few minutes ago, I was able to learn of the solution that was arrived at for his leaking Wispr.
He went into the local shop where he got the vape... and they indeed did write him a brand new receipt for his Wispr.... BUT at the same time advised him that the manufacturer would be unlikely to respond, and that the units had been provided through gotVape. fbrinsley then contacted gotvape, and they arranged an exchange for the unit right here in our town, at the shop where the unit was purchased from.
fbrinsley wished to share his good news with you, and asked that I help him by posting the solution.
He says he will see you all soon when he gets back from his 3 day ban!

Vitolo,

MrNorml

freshpoppa said:
Hey guys and girls,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I received my Wispr about 2 weeks ago and about 2 days ago, I accidentally dropped it. It hasn't functioned optimally ever since. The butane seems to drain much more quickly and there seems to be a periodical sputtering sound while the butane is being released.

That seems to be the only issue, but a major one, as I have to refill the butane every 15-30 minutes. I know that the warranty doesn't cover drops and I am dealing with O&B right now about repairing the unit. Customer service weren't very helpful, so I sent them an email about my situation. Customer service, however, did tell me to vent the unit and then refill and repeat this 3 times in a row. They said this will get rid of impurities and might solve my issue.

So my questions to the forum: Has anyone dealt with this type of issue before (even with the Iolite) and, if so, how did you solve it? Does the troubleshooting advice customer service gave me sound familiar and do you think it might work?

I am usually not a clumsy person and feel stressed about this situation. Any kind of advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sure it is not your fuel. Iolite is big on draining/refilling/ instructions. Sorry you dropped it. We're human, thus imperfect. You didn't throw it to the ground. You didn't mean for it to lower elevation so quickly. As for warranty, etc. to be honest, I would think that occassional drops would be normal wear and tear. IT IS FOR STONERS TO GET STONED and maybe they brush it off a table while looking for the remote, or whatever. They can slip out of a shirt pocket; maybe someone grabs it by the stem and the body drops. I'm betting that no plastic broke either. You didn't do anything wrong. I think it should take normal anticipated behaviours and keep working. Hope Iolite treats you well.

lwien said:
qazqwerty1029 said:
Definitely the best portable vaporizer on the market right now.

Definitely?

If someone wants a super stealthy portable, why is the WISPR better than say a LaunchBox? And when one compares the WISPR against the Solo, what makes the WISPR better?

ALL vapes have their pros and cons, including the vapes mentioned above, and depending on what a particular user wants, the importance of those pros and cons can vary by quite a bit.

I can understand that the WISPR may be the best portable vape for YOU, but stating that it is DEFINITELY the BEST portable vaporizer on the market is a bit of a stretch, eh?

I'm wondering why the WISPR would be or could be more stealthy than the original Iolite! From what I have seen the capacity to vape is the same as the Iolite; it burns longer as if an hour or whatever isn't enough. It has a better ignition system? Hotter? I am just having much difficulty figuring out why the WISPR would be more attractive than the original Iolite. I guess the design is a personal choice, but round and PHONE-y look seems pretty good to me. So. Why WISPR over IOLITE?
Solo problem is you're carrying around a piece of glass that comes loose from the base. MFLB? Batteries. Battery covers. LB is great for real total stealth of a hit. 1 hit. Beyond that, you're shaking, rotating, inserting and capping battery, refilling, and all the stuff that makes anything un-stealthy. Solo is great once you're where you're going to be using it. Iolite is great for the trip there, even if the trip involves moving in crowds. WISPR? Not sure so much so. So, again, Why WISPR over IOLITE?

mvapes said:
dopefiend said:
Donkey said:
Can you take a video of you hitting it? Like a full bowl? :D

I posted a video of me hitting it if that's any good to you

here's the link again

sorry if you've already seen it!

Thanks for the video DF! It looks sweet but it looks huge as well. I dont see it being possible to hide that thing in public. The IO fits perfectly in most drink/coffee cups and what I do is run the draw tube through the top like a straw. If you use stirofoam it actually suppresses the noise to an extent. :2c:

That is exactly how I use mine in stores!! I can't figure anything more stealthy than that, to be honest.

dcgamer said:
New poster here, I am an owner of an Essential Vape, perfect for herbal oils, and have a chillum for hashish-"like" concentrates, so for the general plant matter consumption I am interested in purchasing a portable vape for herbal material very soon. The top prospective choices from reviews, videos and this forum indicate Arizer Solo, the original Iolite and Iolite's new Wispr are the most feasible choices (i.e. no battery-handling/switching like MFLB, best for price, handheld size).

I am a bit put off by the doubled price of the Wispr (usually 260-280 USD) and limited availability (not on Amazon, just have found listings in eBay for high price), and since the Arizer Solo seems to have multiple reports by users for a lingering electronic/smell taste (most have reported it goes away but many have posted the "stink" has remained--therefore I would like to avoid returns/dealing with warranty so soon after purchase), and since many say much of the update of the Wispr is the housing and butane meter, I am leaning to purchasing an original Iolite since the availability and range of good deals are very good. I do notice complaints of the Iolite having functional problems in the long-run, improved by the Wispr, as well mouth piece replacements etc...but to Vape-connoisseurs and those who have used/owned both (input on Arizer also welcome, but I'm not considering purchasing) Iolite and Wisper, would you say a 80-120$ Iolite (average good deal) is better purchase VS purchase of Wispr 260+ ? If shelf life of Wispr is significantly longer or anything along those lines I'd appreciate input, as I mainly consume oils/concentrates and would like to return to consuming herbal material, which a portable vaporizer would aid in alot.

edit: I may go for the Arizer for the midrange price and to avoid costs of butane, but experiences appreciated. + Can anyone recommend best retailers online that in your experience have offered warranty support? Thanks

Here is my take from what I have read and exprerienced. I have an essential vape; 3 Iolites; 2 Solo, 1 MFLB, Arizer Q, VaperWarez box, and if there are others I have forgotten them. So, lots and lots of people come down to Solo vs Iolite. Me too. Those are the choices. Ok, so how to choose. Start with reported issues. Solo - a small but vocal minority report smell problems which Arizer is quick to fix. There are other 'issues' such as design of glassware on it. Maybe others too. Issues with Iolite - they stop sparking or igniting for many. That makes them dead. Really. It happens on arrival, or within days or weeks or months. Other owners never have a single problem with the Iolite apparently. Read the comments on both, and that's pretty much "The Downside Story". The Solo may work smelly. The Iolite may not work. Pick your poison. Arizer seems user-friendly, but I have never had to contact their warranty division. O&B - not so much so in my experience. I have one Iolite sent back and am working on getting O&B to take the 2nd back (invoice was never issued and Iolite needs one). I would also note my belief that the Iolite is more stealthy and 'use in the world' capable, but the Solo seems to give bigger hits. They both seem to work for hours on a load. Iolite then takes 4 sec. to refill. Solo takes hours. Iolite is more for one. Solo can be shared with better results. Iolite works over time; Solo is quick and intrusive. Neither is really for oils/hash/concentrates. Iolite is fixed temp and Solo is variable temp. If I had to chose, I would get both. They are for different parts of your life. For sheer portability I think Iolite wins. For sheer reliability, I guess Arizer wins.

Calvin said:
I would say the two are almost the same. If you dont mind batteries I would recommend the solo though(I know this isnt the solo thread) I find that it packs way more of a punch and is easier to maintain. The problem is that if you have no outlet you are in a bit of a pickle.

The Iolite is more subtle as I use it for 20 - 30 minutes at a shot, possibly putting more in half-way through. The Solo, because of the 12-minute timer, sort of requires you to hit it hard and oftten, to get done before it shuts off. It isn't a 20-30 minute unit. So the process takes differing times, each seems to get the juice out of the plant well with similar end results.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrNorml,

MrNorml

max said:
veganvapor said:
After browsing the web I have come to the realization that the $114.00 iolite on amazon is the V1 and not the v2.
There is no version 1 and 2. The changes they made to the original in the bowl and mouthpiece areas took place a couple of years ago, and it's highly unlikely that there are any original versions still around, unsold. In addition, there's no difference in performance. I have one of the first units shipped out of Ireland, back in Oct. of '08, and also one of the newer units, and I can't tell which one I'm using unless I look at the heating pin. The changes they made in the iolite were all in the bowl-mouthpiece, and dealt mainly with reliability and ease of use. Any changes in the heat delivery system would have meant altering the housing, and they never considered doing that.

I have found that the best indicator of stage of development is found in looking at the Iolite colorized plasticy grip materials. Those have changed greatly over a couple years. But I cannot conceive that changes felt to be beneficial were never applied to newer, updated models. Not even considering mouthpieces, I would have to guess that newer ones incorporate beneficial updates over the years. If not, given complaints of sparking problems or gas problems or whatever, if they sat and did nothing, that would really be baffling.

jaekwong said:
Dopefiend,

Really appreciate your quick reply. One more question

dopefiend said:
These are maintenance tools, used for venting the gas, taking out the screens, and for removing the herb chamber if it ever get stuck due to coagulated resin etc.

what does it mean to vent the gas?

i wish there were more instructions on how to maintain this lovely device (my instructions manual only shows how to use it but not maintain/clean it) as many of us newbs are starting to vape but have no idea of how to take care of the device. this one is farfetched, but it'd be nice if someone could make a vid on how to take care of the wispr. :brow:

thanks again for everyone's help on this forum.. feedback is great here.

Go to the manufacturer's website for useful FAQs etc which is very helpful.

max said:
Vitolo said:
Are you allowing the unit to "cycle out"/ It is supposed to start and stop a couple of extra times after you turn it off.
Most have considered that the hissing = reheating (which is usually the case), but since the iolite does it after shut off, when heating isn't possible, we probably should use a term like 'cycling' instead. I don't know what they've changed so that the wispr doesn't hiss after shut off, but it doesn't. But as I've mentioned before, the vape is plenty hot enough after turning off to get another hit or three, so don't waste your weed and forget those shut down hits.

jeff said:
Anyone tried Lotus Triple refined butane in a WISPR or Iolite.
Nope, but it should work fine. That size isn't economical, so IMO it's only a good deal if you need the small size can.

It seems that the mechanism involves a piece of metal which expands/contracts, thereby governing butane flow. You flip the switch to get that to move over and open up the gas. Then it warms/expands and denies fluid. Then it cools off and permits fluid. There seems to have been some modification to that mechanism so it doesn't stay (hot/ON/expanded) open until it can cool and go to a position that doesn't allow release of fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrNorml,

dopefiend

MrNorml said:
It seems that the mechanism involves a piece of metal which expands/contracts, thereby governing butane flow. You flip the switch to get that to move over and open up the gas. Then it warms/expands and denies fluid. Then it cools off and permits fluid. There seems to have been some modification to that mechanism so it doesn't stay (hot/ON/expanded) open until it can cool and go to a position that doesn't allow release of fluid.

That's a great explanation of how the bi-metal thermostat works, thanks MrNorml!

dopefiend,

OF

Not to quibble guys, but I'm OK with the idea of reheating or cycles. Same, same. In the Iolite when you close the valve for the gas supply (eventually shutting it down) there's still some gas/liquid in the line across the bottom of the unit to the metering valve that must be bled down before the pressure drops and the cycling can end. Like waiting for the gas caught in the carb on your lawnmower to run out when you put it away for the winter (if you're into that kinda stuff). Moving the cutoff valve closer to the metering valve 'solved' that in the later model.

I think the metering runs on a bi metallic element, two metals. Hence the name. Say copper and iron. They will expand at different rates (get a different percent longer or shorter for the same degree change). How big is a problem to deal with, so the solution is to bond the two metals together as a strip or disc. Now when one expands more than the other the only solution is for it to bend. The bigger the difference (more degrees), the more the flex. Put a switch on it and you have a thermostat for your home heater.

In our case, I think the idea is a disc that carries the valve seat in it's center. It's made with a bit of a dimple in it, and at the magic temperature it snaps over to the other stable state like a kid's toy 'cricket' noise maker. Thus the valve snaps open and shut rather than throttle to a smaller and smaller opening which would eventually foul with stuff in the fuel no matter how pure. This sort of dual point system (valve stays open to a little long before slamming shut then staying shut past that temperature to a lower temperature where it again opens, leaving a 'dead band' where it's on or off depending on which threshold it passed last) is called hysteresis (great word for crosswords) and is essential for such systems to be stable. Your home heater does the same. The fire stays on to say 72 degrees but the room 'coasts up' to say 74 or 75 degrees then back down to say 69 degrees before firing up. If it's 71 degrees, the fire can be correctly on or off.

So now you know as much as me......

OF

OF,

jeff

MrNorml said:
mvapes said:
dopefiend said:
I posted a video of me hitting it if that's any good to you

here's the link again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIL5nCXcvIU

sorry if you've already seen it!

Thanks for the video DF! It looks sweet but it looks huge as well. I dont see it being possible to hide that thing in public. The IO fits perfectly in most drink/coffee cups and what I do is run the draw tube through the top like a straw. If you use stirofoam it actually suppresses the noise to an extent. :2c:

That is exactly how I use mine in stores!! I can't figure anything more stealthy than that, to be honest.

No Offense but I just don't understand this. Why the obsession with vaping in stores, movies, etc? I loved combusting all the time and now I love vaping all the time. But heck you can't just get wrecked and go to the store or the movie? Maybe people need some tolerance breaks round here.

jeff,

mongrel

hey, despite the apparent/alleged indifferent customer service (i'm gunna have a stroke if i have to keep using all these side stepping words) i'm replacing my mini arsenal of vapes with ones that work and the wispr is on my list. comments on the toughness or otherwise of the wispr from users would be appreciated. i'm pretty rough on my vapes which is why most of them are knackered and after years of stellar service my iolite at an incredibly inconvenient time, is starting to fade. it must leak because it is always empty when i go to use it. i haven't smelled gas, probably cos it's hot a buggery here and fans are blowing all the time but it clearly needs replacing. it still refills but next time it's empty again. i've dropped it stacks of times so it's lasted well and proved durable over the years. no real surprise that it's buggered now. also, how long does a fill of gas last in the real world of the consumer?
mongrel

mongrel,

jeff

mongrel said:
hey, comments on the toughness or otherwise of the wispr from users would be appreciated. despite the apparent/alleged indifferent customer service (i'm gunna have a stroke if i have to keep using all these side stepping words) i'm replacing my mini arsenal of vapes with ones that work and the wispr is on my list. i'm pretty rough on my vapes which is why most of them are knackered and after years of stellar service my iolite at an incredibly inconvenient time, is starting to fade. it must leak because it is always empty when i go to use it. i haven't smelled gas, probably cos it's hot a buggery here and fans are blowing all the time but it clearly needs replacing. it still refills but next time it's empty again. i've dropped it stacks of times so it's lasted well and proved durable over the years. no real surprise that it's buggered. also, how long does a fill of gas last in the real world of the consumer?
mongrel

So far I have knocked it off the coffee table once and it is still fine. The gas lasts a while. Depending on the day I fill it once a day or every other day. Sometimes every three. It is my everyday vape. I am almost at the 2 month mark and haven't used the whole can of gas it came with yet.

jeff,
So how does the fuel gauge work on this in compared to the original Iolite? I was told it has a readout of some sort and was just curious...:/

JoeFinny,

jeff

JoeFinny said:
So how does the fuel gauge work on this in compared to the original Iolite? I was told it has a readout of some sort and was just curious...:/

Well one has no gauge and one has a gauge so like it works? I don't get your question. You flip it upside down look in the window and can see how much gas you have. It is great

jeff,

mongrel

hey, after months of vacillation and a growing vape graveyard to provide me with incentive, i've finally ordered a green wispr from puffitup. be interested to see how it goes. thx puffitup for the fc discount. sure does pay to be a member here :)
mongrel
update: my goodness. 3 hours after order this wispr was shipped with tracking #. remarkable!

mongrel,
jeff said:
JoeFinny said:

Well one has no gauge and one has a gauge so like it works? I don't get your question. You flip it upside down look in the window and can see how much gas you have. It is great

Well you already answered my question but I was wondering it it had a digital readout as apposed to just a plain old butane tube, and when I mentioned the iolite I was referring to how long the chamber of butane lasts in comparison to the iolite. I loved my Iolite back in the day before I sold it...

JoeFinny,

jeff

JoeFinny said:
jeff said:
JoeFinny said:

Well you already answered my question but I was wondering it it had a digital readout as apposed to just a plain old butane tube, and when I mentioned the iolite I was referring to how long the chamber of butane lasts in comparison to the iolite. I loved my Iolite back in the day before I sold it...

It has a digital readout. It even has a chime and flashing light to alert you when it is running low. Pretty cool stuff!

jeff,

OF

jeff said:
JoeFinny said:
jeff said:

It has a digital readout. It even has a chime and flashing light to alert you when it is running low. Pretty cool stuff!

I myself like the bluetooth link. With it enabled, it can then call you up to tell you it's out of gas and about to get cold. You'll need to carry a second cell phone, of course......

OF

OF,

JJ

Hi folks,

This is my first post here on what seems to be a great forum. I have been smoking (cigs & joints) for about 10 years now, and recently (in the last few years) I've really started to feel the deleterious effect that those 10 years have had on my lungs. I actually gave up smoking cigarettes about a year and a half ago, but since then I have continued to smoke joints. Although I don't/didn't smoke that many, only about 2 or 3 small (1 small-sized rizla) joints per week, it has still been fucking up my lungs and throat, certainly enough to not allow them to recover as they normally would after giving up smoking. So I decided to purchase my first portable vape (portablility is a must for me).

After doing a fair bit of reading, last week I bought myself an Iolite WISPR. Here's my thoughts:

I have completely mixed feelings after buying this device. On the one hand, I love vaping! It's fantastic, I don't have much to compare it to, but the WISPR produces nice thick vapor and I got higher than I ever expected from it. So, as an introduction to vaping, this has been great and I am now convinced that this is the way for me. One thing about these portable vaporizers that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the fact that they are windproof! You can be walking around outside in strong wind and still be able to toke the thing no probs! A joint would burn itself down to the butt or you'd lose the cherry in these conditions, so I rather like this aspect.

However, I am rather disappointed with the unit. Firstly, it leaks. I think the nozzle is faulty, so it goes from having a full tank to being completely empty in about 5 minutes, whether it's switched on or not. (I am in the process of negotiating a replacement from the supplier on the grounds of this fault which I'm confident I'll be able to get.) I was able to use the unit by simply having a can of butane in my pocket and continually refilling it.

Another problem though is the ignition. I was using the unit for the 2nd time last night, and after filling it up with both fuel & herb, I couldn't for the life of me get it to ignite. After about 5 minutes of continually clicking the ignition switch to no avail, I was just about to give up, and I finally got it going. Now, I am not sure if the two problems are related, ie. because the gas is constantly pissing out the bottom, it means the pressure on the normal output jet is lower and so it's more difficult to ignite. I sincerely hope this is the case, because if, god forbid, I just happened to get a unit which has two completely seperate faults, then that's not going to bide well with me. I am now rather apprehensive about receiving a replacement unit which turns out to be just as much of a bastard to light as this one.

Put it this way. If I pack my WISPR with herb and a full tank of gas, set out on a long trip somewhere, come to use it, and I can't get the fucking thing to ignite, then I'm going to be less than impressed. What are the chances of this happening? Even it's only 1%, then that's a major drawback for me. When I spark a gas lighter, 99% of the time I can ignite it on the 1st or 2nd attempt, and if it is taking more than about 5-10 flicks to get a flame I get annoyed, and discard it as being unreliable. The same would apply to this device, the only difference being that it cost 170, not 1.

To all you WISPR owners out there, how many clicks, on average does it take to ignite?

Since buying this unit, I have done some more reading and have found a rather disturbing number of posts (that seemed to elude me for some reason when I did my initial research) from people with problems with their WISPR, mostly relating to the ignition system. Put it this way, when you start typing "WISPR wo..." into google, and it auto-completes "WISPR won't ignite / WISPR won't turn off" etc. you know there's a significant number of people having problems with this thing.

I've been reading about the Arizer Solo, and I'm starting to seriously wish I'd bought one of these instead. On all the 'comparisons' I've read, reliability doesn't feature, but I'm guessing something that runs on batteries with an electrical heating element could be more reliable than the WISPR, which is starting to seem to me to be anything but?

What do people think? And I'd like to know how long I should expect to be sitting there clicking that thing before it ignites, with a normally functioning unit?

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope my first post here goes down OK :/

JJ,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
You have a faulty unit. Contact the seller or manufacturer about a warranty replacement. I have had a WISPR since September 2011 and it has never leaked or failed to ignite. I use it multiple times daily and really enjoy the unit. Ale sure to use quality butane and after every full let the gas cycle 30-60 seconds before trying to ignite. Hjope this helps, sorrying about your faulty unit.

Gonzo,

JJ

Gonzo said:
You have a faulty unit. Contact the seller or manufacturer about a warranty replacement. I have had a WISPR since September 2011 and it has never leaked or failed to ignite. I use it multiple times daily and really enjoy the unit. Ale sure to use quality butane and after every full let the gas cycle 30-60 seconds before trying to ignite. Hjope this helps, sorrying about your faulty unit.

Cheers, Gonzo. I will do. That's good to know your WISPR works OK, although as I said, I am still a bit apprehensive at the number of people who do seem to be having problems. I have only filled the unit with zero impurity 'London Gas' butane purchased from Poundland here in the UK.

By 'let the gas cycle' I take it you mean depress the switch half-way so the gas is flowing and then hold it there for 30-60 seconds before clicking the switch all the way down for ignition?

So, to answer my question, how many times do you usually have to click the ignition before it lights?

Cheers, J.

JJ,

max

Out to lunch
JJ said:
By 'let the gas cycle' I take it you mean depress the switch half-way so the gas is flowing and then hold it there for 30-60 seconds before clicking the switch all the way down for ignition?
I'm not aware of any reason to start the butane flow without ignition. It should be a click-click process. No reason to wait between releasing the gas and starting the heating process. I've been using this catalytic system for over 3 yrs. and never saw a need to wait between starting the butane and starting the heat.

how many times do you usually have to click the ignition before it lights?
My wispr and iolites have usually started the first time, but once in a while, not. My advice, if a half dozen clicks or so isn't giving you the pilot light to indicate the heating process, is to shut it down for a few minutes and try again. I don't know that it takes that much time, or that turning it off is even necessary, but it's worked for me the few times I've had the problem.

max,

OF

JJ said:
Hi folks,

This is my first post here on what seems to be a great forum. I have been smoking (cigs & joints) for about 10 years now, and recently (in the last few years) I've really started to feel the deleterious effect that those 10 years have had on my lungs. I actually gave up smoking cigarettes about a year and a half ago, but since then I have continued to smoke joints. Although I don't/didn't smoke that many, only about 2 or 3 small (1 small-sized rizla) joints per week, it has still been fucking up my lungs and throat, certainly enough to not allow them to recover as they normally would after giving up smoking. So I decided to purchase my first portable vape (portablility is a must for me).

After doing a fair bit of reading, last week I bought myself an Iolite WISPR. Here's my thoughts:

I have completely mixed feelings after buying this device. On the one hand, I love vaping! It's fantastic, I don't have much to compare it to, but the WISPR produces nice thick vapor and I got higher than I ever expected from it. So, as an introduction to vaping, this has been great and I am now convinced that this is the way for me. One thing about these portable vaporizers that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the fact that they are windproof! You can be walking around outside in strong wind and still be able to toke the thing no probs! A joint would burn itself down to the butt or you'd lose the cherry in these conditions, so I rather like this aspect.

However, I am rather disappointed with the unit. Firstly, it leaks. I think the nozzle is faulty, so it goes from having a full tank to being completely empty in about 5 minutes, whether it's switched on or not. (I am in the process of negotiating a replacement from the supplier on the grounds of this fault which I'm confident I'll be able to get.) I was able to use the unit by simply having a can of butane in my pocket and continually refilling it.

Another problem though is the ignition. I was using the unit for the 2nd time last night, and after filling it up with both fuel & herb, I couldn't for the life of me get it to ignite. After about 5 minutes of continually clicking the ignition switch to no avail, I was just about to give up, and I finally got it going. Now, I am not sure if the two problems are related, ie. because the gas is constantly pissing out the bottom, it means the pressure on the normal output jet is lower and so it's more difficult to ignite. I sincerely hope this is the case, because if, god forbid, I just happened to get a unit which has two completely seperate faults, then that's not going to bide well with me. I am now rather apprehensive about receiving a replacement unit which turns out to be just as much of a bastard to light as this one.

Put it this way. If I pack my WISPR with herb and a full tank of gas, set out on a long trip somewhere, come to use it, and I can't get the fucking thing to ignite, then I'm going to be less than impressed. What are the chances of this happening? Even it's only 1%, then that's a major drawback for me. When I spark a gas lighter, 99% of the time I can ignite it on the 1st or 2nd attempt, and if it is taking more than about 5-10 flicks to get a flame I get annoyed, and discard it as being unreliable. The same would apply to this device, the only difference being that it cost 170, not 1.

To all you WISPR owners out there, how many clicks, on average does it take to ignite?

Since buying this unit, I have done some more reading and have found a rather disturbing number of posts (that seemed to elude me for some reason when I did my initial research) from people with problems with their WISPR, mostly relating to the ignition system. Put it this way, when you start typing "WISPR wo..." into google, and it auto-completes "WISPR won't ignite / WISPR won't turn off" etc. you know there's a significant number of people having problems with this thing.

I've been reading about the Arizer Solo, and I'm starting to seriously wish I'd bought one of these instead. On all the 'comparisons' I've read, reliability doesn't feature, but I'm guessing something that runs on batteries with an electrical heating element could be more reliable than the WISPR, which is starting to seem to me to be anything but?

What do people think? And I'd like to know how long I should expect to be sitting there clicking that thing before it ignites, with a normally functioning unit?

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope my first post here goes down OK :/

I don't own a WISPR, but do own and use two Iolites, and 'know' two more. I've tried to follow both threads.

First off, by all means get the leaker fixed. Even though Butane is the number one 'abused gas' (read 'huffing') in the UK, it's not something you want to be around. It can blow you up. burn you or suffocate you given a chance. There are all sorts of horror stories of flash fires under clothing and so on to worry about.

Sparker lighters are problematic from a number of standpoints. First, there's very little real energy there (compared to say a 'flint' fired lighter like a Bic) and it's also delivered very fast so you have to get ignition quickly to add more heat or it's gonna fizzle (that a technical expression, but that's not important.....). So that spark has to be in just the right place and the mixture of fuel and air has to be close to ideal at that point or no joy. I'm thinking your leak is making it run too rich to strike.

Guys that hammer the button over and over aren't doing themselves much good really. I have one Iolite that's a tough lighter sometimes (my 'main unit' has never failed to light???). I too can go 20 or 30 times with no luck then. But if I stop the gas and blow it out it always (or nearly so) fires on the next try. It's like trying to start an old style car after is carburetor has been flooded.

After you get it fixed, I'm sure your confidence will return. I fill my Iolites (3.1 grams max) and can count of two full bowls (I typically load 1/8 gram of herb with 50 or even 100 mg of bubble hash in the center.....goes on 'forever'). For longer trips I carry a small (15 ml?) Chinese gas 'can' (it's actually clear plastic). It cost $1.50 at the local smoke shop and came full of some Chinese Butane, and some other stuff floating around inside (why put it in a clear container?). I dumped it in the back yard, flushed it a couple of times with Vector and now carry it (full of Vector) when called for. It fills the vape twice more with some to spare.

Anyway, I'd get the defective unit replaced before I tackled the ignition issue.

OF

OF

OF,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Your welcome JJ.

You are correct about the gas cycling. Press the switch once so the gas turns on and let it run for about 30 seconds ( I Only do this once after each refill).

As long as the gas is properly cycled I usually only have to click once after I turn the gas on to get ignition. There have been an occasional te where I had to press twice for ignition but I can count these incidents on one hand (And IMO this only happened because I did not let the gas initially cycle long enough). Hope this helps.

Edit @max

I was only expressing my opinion and in no way meant it as facts. When I first purchased my WISPR I read that tip somewhere and it has always worked for me. Once again I only do this once right after each refill. I was told that sometes with this unit after refill the gas is not cycled through the unit properly and this is why people have trouble with ignition (Air bubble in the system). Running the gas after each refill was supposed to help with the problem. I suppose bleeding the line before each refill should accomplish the same thing.

Gonzo,

max

Out to lunch
I was told that sometes with this unit after refill the gas is not cycled through the unit properly and this is why people have trouble with ignition (Air bubble in the system). Running the gas after each refill was supposed to help with the problem. I suppose bleeding the line before each refill should accomplish the same thing.
I haven't heard this, and haven't had any problems directly after a refill, but there may be something to it, and it certainly can't hurt. One problem with trying to start an iolite or wispr immediately after filling can be the fact that butane is very cold and overfilling can result in a cold unit, making it hard to start. I'd say it's a good idea to bleed the fill valve every time, before you fill an empty or almost empty unit. The nice thing about the wispr is that you have a good idea of how much fuel is left. With the iolite I'm usually in the dark about the fuel level, and just fill every time I'm going to use it.

max,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I also wait about 10 min before turning the unit on after a fill. I agree that the "cold start" point as well.

Gonzo,
Top Bottom