The WISPR vaporizer

JJ

Nice one, cheers, guys. Yes, what you say about sparker lighters being temperamental makes sense, OF. Hopefully a fully pressurised gas tank will make a difference then.

If my replacement WISPR works reliably, as it should, I'll be more than happy. But if I have problems with the next one, then I may have to look at cutting my losses and purchasing an Arizer solo.

Either way, I'm happy to be a vaporist convert, I'm absolutely sold on the concept. My only grievance is why I didn't start vaping years ago.

JJ,

OF

JJ said:
Nice one, cheers, guys. Yes, what you say about sparker lighters being temperamental makes sense, OF. Hopefully a fully pressurised gas tank will make a difference then.

If my replacement WISPR works reliably, as it should, I'll be more than happy. But if I have problems with the next one, then I may have to look at cutting my losses and purchasing an Arizer solo.

Either way, I'm happy to be a vaporist convert, I'm absolutely sold on the concept. My only grievance is why I didn't start vaping years ago.

Good luck with the replacement, hopefully you won't need it.

If Murphy gets you and you draw another dud, how about an Iolite instead? Leak issues seem to be non existent, it's a mature product with known records, works great even if it doesn't have a fuel window. It does fit in the pocket better and looks more like an innocent cell phone or something. And it costs less.

Good luck in your quest.

OF

OF,

JJ

OF said:
JJ said:

Good luck with the replacement, hopefully you won't need it.

If Murphy gets you and you draw another dud, how about an Iolite instead? Leak issues seem to be non existent, it's a mature product with known records, works great even if it doesn't have a fuel window. It does fit in the pocket better and looks more like an innocent cell phone or something. And it costs less.

Good luck in your quest.

OF

Well, the WISPR is supposedly the next generation Iolite, with such things as an 'improved ignition system' so I'm not sure I like the idea of going backwards. I think if I was unlucky enough to get another shitter then I'd go for an Arizer solo. Cost isn't really an issue for me. I'm not rich or anything, but I just want whatever works best, and I'm quite happy to pay for it. I also couldn't really give a damn about this 'stealth' issue which everyone keeps talking about, whether in relation to noise or looks. Obviously if it's really loud then that'd just be annoying, but I'm not going to be walking around busy streets with it or even anywhere with people around so I don't care at all if it looks 'suspicious'. (And the cops over here, as you probably know, are a lot more relaxed about MJ than in the US) As long as it fits in my pocket (and actually my jacket has quite big pockets), lasts long enough for a decent session, produces high quality vape, and is RELIABLE, it's fine by me.

I live in a fairly rural part of Scotland, and like to go for walks and get a bit stoned along the way :)

(Scotland = cold = big jackets = big pockets || Rural = no crowds of people)

JJ,

OF

OK, I know what the 'suits' over in marketing say, but truth be known there's a lot of us quiet happy with or obsolete models. For sure I'd say 'improved' anything anyone has been griping about if I was in their place (which is why I don't wanna be one.....) and ignition and no fuel window were on that list. Improved or not it seems at least reasonably reliable.

I'm confident the next unit will be better (the chance of two 1/10 failures in a row is 1% after all), if not I'm just suggesting you consider it.

FWIW Solo seems to have more than a few detractors as well?

As the saying (really goes) 'you pays your money and takes your choice', I'm not at all sure how chances made it into that?

Best wishes.

OF

OF,

JJ

Got my faulty WISPR in the post today, I'll hopefully have a replacement by the end of the week.

I actually had another wee go of it last night, and again I couldn't get it to light. But this time I switched it off again, filled it right up with gas, and very quickly sparked it, and... ignition. First time.

So I think maybe we were correct about the two problems being related. My guess is that this time I clicked the ignition when the gas was at, or very near, to it's proper pressurisation. So I'm a little more more optimistic now about the ignition.

I see what you're saying about marketing, OF. No doubt there's a fair bit of hype involved about these new 'improvements'. However, maybe I'm naive, but I like to think these companies are actually interested in making good quality products as well as money. I've been quite impressed with some of their posts on here.

Still, I'm curious as to where you got your 1/10 figure, OF? Did you just suggest this as a example? It strikes me that a factory producing units with a fault rate of 1/10 is woefully crap, and would warrant a rethink of the manufacturing process! At least some sort of assiduous testing stage anyway. Also, assuming your figure to be true, whilst it may be correct to say that anyone purchasing two units has a 1% chance of them both being faulty, I have already got my first unit. Past events to not influence future ones... the chances of my next unit being faulty are still 1/10!

Anyway, as I said, I'm a bit more optismistic, or let's say a bit less dubious, about the ignition system now that I'm fairly sure my igintion problem was caused by the leak.

JJ,

OF

Howdy JJ,

First off great news, hopefully resolved in time for the weekend?

No, sorry, I pulled intentionally big 10% failures to show that two in a row are indeed rare. Just to keep the numbers making some sense? The failure rate had better be a LOT better than that or we won't have this maker to poke fun at for long. It's a math thing, I forget what the stats guys call the event, but it's true one doesn't influence the next. But if you do it twice you get to multiply the odds of each for this sort of discussion. If 9 in ten customers get a 'good unit' the first time 99 in 100 will get at least one it to tries.

I share your optimism. I think the first problem was a fluke and threw you a ghost to chase in the bargain.

OF

OF,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Hey JJ, Welcome,

I purchased my Wispr the first day it was released and had high hopes for it. I went through 2 units in a 4 month period, but i will get back to that.

I have also owned the first iolite which was first called the i-Inhale. They had to change the name because of Apple's " i - " copyright. Sorry for the history lesson.

My first original i-inhale lasted about one year before it failed to ignite. Which was fine, i still had one year left on there 2 year warranty. So i sent the broken one back to O&B. I had to buy another one while i waited for my replacement. I love the iolite so much and still do. I'm using one right now while I'm typing this. Within 2 weeks i received there newer model with the upgraded non removable heat pin and changed name to iolite.

The newer unit lasted for about 6 months and also failed to ignite. Sent the second one back, and took out the third one. This cycle continued for about 2 1/2 years. Since then i have been through around 6 iolites not counting my 2 Wispr's.

Let me just say that by no means did i abuse my iolities. I have never dropped one except for a few times on the carpet. I only pack this 4 times a day and each session lasts me around 20 minutes. Except for the times you thought you switched it off. :ko:

Basically every time one of my iolites broke it was due to the ignition system failing. So when they first introduced the Wispr stating it had an upgraded ignition system i was all for it and couldn't wait to get one. Even though i wasn't fond of the new shape design and color choices because i still like the old iolites shape and the way it conforms to my hand better. I was willing to choose function over form in this case. The butane fuel fill window and bendable mouthpiece was also a plus in my eyes.

So even before i received my Wispr i already knew i didn't like the shape and color of it. I chose the espresso brown because it seemed to be the least noticeable to me. And once i held it in my hand i knew right away i didn't like how it felt. It is like holding a big lego block and looks like i am sipping out of a juice box. Great for stealth, i guess. :/ Even with all the dislikes i had for it i was still willing to give it a chance.

I was using it with no issues for about 2 months until one day after refilling with butane the gas immediately poured out. After that i was unable to refill. So of course i sent it back and in 2 weeks i received my replacement and would you believe the same thing happened one month later. Sent back the second Wispr and once i got the third one back i sold it on ebay.

I'm back to using the older iolite with 2 more brand new iolites for backups.

I ordered a Thermovape with the Revolution adapter that is due to arrive Thursday. I just had to try one.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

JJ

Cheers, OF. I hope you're right. I got a reply from my retailer today saying he's already received the unit and posted a replacement out today, first class, so I should have it well before the weekend, hopefully tomorrow. Although your 1/10 figure might have been exagerrated, it would seem that this device is just a bit too unreliable for my liking.

@Carlos- Thanks for your response.. another hard-line original-Iolite fan! Are there many more of you guys I wonder? Well, to be honest if my next WISPR breaks down that easily, I think I'll be going for a completely different system altogether, most likely the Arizer Solo. I also prefer the look of the original Iolite over the WISPR, and agree that the plastic and square shape of it is just.. tacky. As you say, like a lego brick or something. I especially hate the ignition button. I thought I'd broke it when I first clicked it down. The whole thing is reminiscent of some crappy free plastic gift or a cheap alarm clock or something. Still though, like you, I am happy to accept function over form...

If the function was reliable.

As thrilled as I am with this unit when it works, it still seems massively overpriced for what it is. Which I wouldn't actually have a problem with as it does work very well... when it works. But, as I say, it just seems too unreliable. Sorry, but for 170, I don't expect something that will break down that easily.

Mind you, if you use it 4 times a day, you're getting a lot of use out of it! I'll most likely only use mine 2 or 3 times a week, so perhaps I'll get a bit longer out of mine. Who knows. Maybe I should stop speculating until I get my replacement and test it out!

JJ,

Trickfire

So being on the subject of the WISPR and butane...
I am new to vaping. I self medicate with mmj and have been doing so for only 5-6 years. Although this is my second vaporizer I still consider myself a beginner because I had an off brand box and whip style vaporizer that I did not have the patience to learn how to master it. I have only had my WISPR about a week, and so far it has been my little buddy. There are just a few concerns...after about 5 min the contents inside the chamber start to give a bad taste. I make sure to not pull to hard at all but merely "breath" through the system. After about the second bowl and 10 min of consecutive burning I start to get extremley thick vapor clouds (which I like) but unfortunatley the taste is absolutely horrid, and the feeling that is left in m throat does not go away for hours. I thought this is something that would go away after a couple of days but my throat is left with the most God awful taste that I cannot even describe. Could you WISPR owners help me out. I have done so much research on this website and so many others to get tips on how to master vaping so I have tried to perfect every different way but I still end up with the same taste and feeling in my mouth and throat (It is almost to the point to where I cant bear it). I wonder if I have a faulty unit? (in which i hope I am not inhaling butane!!) PLease help...I do not want to have to smoke, which is my only other option...

Trickfire,

Vapemania

Trickfire said:
So being on the subject of the WISPR and butane...
I wonder if I have a faulty unit? (in which i hope I am not inhaling butane!!) PLease help...I do not want to have to smoke, which is my only other option...

I don't use a WISPR, so can't help on that front, I'm afraid.
Hopefully, others will give you more answers.

However, if you do have a faulty unit, you may consider a replacement or refund.
With a replacement, it'll be happy times all the way.

But if you're sensitive to butane heating, for whatever reasons, then you may consider a different type of vape.

175 is about $273.
If you gave me that much, I'd get a SSV, Herbalaire, RockZap, EQ, DBV or MFLB.
This is because they can be shipped outside of the US. :)
Which is where you live.

Vapemania,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Towards the end of the bowl the taste of the WISPR will definitely decrease. I find the quality of material will contribute greatly to how quickly the taste is lost. I do not get a bad feeling at the back of my throat however. I have heard of IOLITE and WISPR users reporting this but I believe it has to do with some people not being able to handle the hot vapor these two units produce toward the end of the bowl. I do find that my WISPR and TV T1 make my lips drier than my other vapes but I think this has to do with the mouthpiece on both units.

Gonzo,

jeff

Gonzo said:
Towards the end of the bowl the taste of the WISPR will definitely decrease. I find the quality of material will contribute greatly to how quickly the taste is lost. I do not get a bad feeling at the back of my throat however. I have heard of IOLITE and WISPR users reporting this but I believe it has to do with some people not being able to handle the hot vapor these two units produce toward the end of the bowl. I do find that my WISPR and TV T1 make my lips drier than my other vapes but I think this has to do with the mouthpiece on both units.

Yeah I find that when stealth is not an issue extending the tubing greatly eliminates this. I also think the screen is highly porous so too fine a grind may be a problem and you could be inhaling particulate, though I find it works better with a fine grind.

jeff,

3serieSensi

My Wispr is about teh 6th Iolite I have owned, so I know how they work and how to fuck em up, and so on. MY Wispr went dead a few weeks in and now works only after a serious, serious, struggle and a half.

runs out of butane in like 10 minutes, and it seems i can only start it will empty? this is all after i have the thing preheated with some external device of course... good thing an old iolite works still phew

3serieSensi,

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Sad news my wispr will no longer hold butane. I have owned it for two months the unit has been great up until now. Contacted Iolite, now I have to ship it back to them. Kind of peeved.

Ratm22,

fbrinsley

franklin
ratm22 - i had the same experience but because i tossed my receipt iolite policy wasn't flexible for my situation... after about three weeks w/out i finally was able to trade out the unit with the vendor. got the red instead of the green and like it much better... and all is right with the world again... when the wispr works it rocks... pitty this first run of wisprs is prone to these butane tank issues... a redesign may be in the works?

fbrinsley,

MrNorml

fbrinsley said:
ratm22 - i had the same experience but because i tossed my receipt iolite policy wasn't flexible for my situation... after about three weeks w/out i finally was able to trade out the unit with the vendor. got the red instead of the green and like it much better... and all is right with the world again... when the wispr works it rocks... pitty this first run of wisprs is prone to these butane tank issues... a redesign may be in the works?

Read the Iolite thread to see whether there have been consistent problems with them or not. While not identical units, they share several characteristics, and I think it not imprudent to look at them together as well. Many have over 3 Iolites. That says to me 1. They like them 2. Iolites don't always work perfectly.

MrNorml,

Vapemania

MrNorml said:
fbrinsley said:

Read the Iolite thread to see whether there have been consistent problems with them or not. While not identical units, they share several characteristics, and I think it not imprudent to look at them together as well. Many have over 3 Iolites. That says to me 1. They like them 2. Iolites don't always work perfectly.

Very good points, MrNorml.

I think I saw a youtube vid of the Wispr saying it had exactly the same operation as the Iolite.
The product website says the exterior design had been commissioned by some external company.
So it appears that only the exterior is different.
I think it might be called Wispr because it's quieter than it's brother Iolite.

The shape seems similar to a mid-range touchscreen phone.
And the design is obviously retro 70s.
Which is a pity.
The 80s would be retro nowadays.
IMO, the 70s is positively Jurassic. (No offense to that generation, folks).

I've also noticed there are people who have more than one Iolite.
Which says a lot.
It must be pretty convenient to simply switch the thing on and toke.
With other portable vapes, the operation may not be so easy.

Vapemania,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
:suspicious:

my tingly spider senses won't let me keep quiet.

Vapemeister, you sound like Vapemania?

ha! the double disregard confirms it! :p I'm convinced. Just call me Sherlock :D

Anyway, I'm no mod squad. Hopefully I haven't eff'd things up for you by calling you out, although you've got so much unique style it's obvious IMO. Perhaps your posts won't confound folk quite so much this time!?!

WatTyler,

Vapemania

WatTyler said:
:suspicious:

my tingly spider senses won't let me keep quiet.

Hi WatTyler.
A charming avatar.

I think you have me confused with someone else.
But that's probably because I have a similar username. Lol!

Just joined the forum.
Used to be an old smoker for years to get medicated.
Now I'm learning about the world of vapes!

Vapemania,

OF

Vapemeister said:
I've also noticed there are people who have more than one Iolite.
Which says a lot.
It must be pretty convenient to simply switch the thing on and toke.
With other portable vapes, the operation may not be so easy.

I guess it could mean several things, for me having a spare means I really like the unit and would be in a hurt if it cashed in and I had to wait on it's replacement (I surely would replace it, unless it blew up or something really showy). It also gives me a unit to loan out for friends to try, I've 'sold' two guys on the Iolite that way so far, with more to come no doubt. I consider $140 a reasonable cost for that, some will find that too dear of course.

And yes, you're right at least about the attraction to me. I can load the bowl (typically with 1/8 gram fine ground and maybe 50mg of fine bubble hash in the center), check the gas charge (weight) and mindlessly pull on it like smoking the hubbly bubbly. I even spliced the mouthpiece from the VG on it so if I close my eyes it can 'take me back'. It does remove the mechanics of vaping from the experience of vaping which can be good or bad?

OF

OF,

max

Out to lunch
Trickfire said:
the taste is absolutely horrid, and the feeling that is left in m throat does not go away for hours.
This is not the vape to get if taste is a priority, although my experience is that the bad taste is easily banished.

Vapemeister said:
This is because they can be shipped outside of the US. Which is where you live.
Since when is Atlanta, GA outside the US?

max,

fbrinsley

franklin
i like to start by saying that i love my iolite and wispr above all my other devices... and in particular the wispr. my first wispr lasted two months and then stopped holding butane. i only share this as an anecdote some might find interesting... my replacement wispr included the plastic bag of accouterments for the iolite not the wispr. minor i know but now i'm short the screw tool and my tips are white instead of the wispr grey. i still have these items from my first wispr so i'm not without... but still minor failures of attention to detail like this i'm ammused/annoyed by... i can't say enough about the overall greatness of the wispr however... it truly is an amazing device.

fbrinsley,

Vapemania

max said:
Since when is Atlanta, GA outside the US?

Very good point.
I was sure that Trickfire came from Europe.
Tho, I can't seem to find where he comes from, now!

Sorry, about this, but I must've been vaked!
But at least we all know who is from Atlanta, GA.

I remember the Olympics from there.
Vaguely... :D

Vapemania,
Top Bottom