The WISPR vaporizer

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

Gonzo said:
I have the Espresso color as well. Before I got mt UD I was using the WISPR about 8 times a day, every day. Now it's down to about 2. Hope this next replacement works out for you.

Thanks, I hope so too.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

jeff said:
Reading this makes me wish I had brought my WISPR with me to work today.

So here is a curious question for the WISPR/Iolite set. Any of you guys ever seen some sort of butane storage device that is refillable? The butane isn't a pain. But carrying that giant can of vector could kind of be a pain. It would be nice to have a little gizmo that could "recharge" it a few times.

Thanks,

Jeff

That would be a good idea. Or if Vector made a travel size. Like others i have seen but weren't 5 times refined.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I solved it with these small 18ml travel size butane bottles/cannisters. Empty out the cheap butane and you can refill the plastic bottle from a larger can of premium butane (backwards through the valve- prob. not manuf. advised). I've refilled the same one 5 or 6 times now, and can get it over 90% full with a fresh-ish larger can.

Check out this thread

WatTyler,

jeff

OhTheAgony said:
CarlosSpiceyWeiner said:
biojuggernaut said:
The orange bumper from the supreme will probably fit onto the silicon stem. Can anyone verify this?

I told you that someone would come up with an idea.

Would something like this work?

click me

I thought the vapor was a bit hot, so I went to the local shop got some whip tube, I asked for the smallest they had. It mates perfectly with the removable plastic mouth piece. I don't see why you couldn't use that method to connect it via that whip tubing to glass. You would just possibly need a lil adapter. Something like this.

Then mate that with a pre-cooler or ash catcher. Just a thought.

Has anyone use their WISPR or IOLITE with loose pollen or pressed pollen? You just drop it in there? Any tips? I put in a lil pressed and it didn't seem to go super well.

jeff,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I tried using straight loose pollen a couple of times in an iolite. It tends to clog up the screen. Its better to mix the loose pollen with some of your blend.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,
max said:
veganvapor said:
After browsing the web I have come to the realization that the $114.00 iolite on amazon is the V1 and not the v2.
There is no version 1 and 2. The changes they made to the original in the bowl and mouthpiece areas took place a couple of years ago, and it's highly unlikely that there are any original versions still around, unsold. In addition, there's no difference in performance. I have one of the first units shipped out of Ireland, back in Oct. of '08, and also one of the newer units, and I can't tell which one I'm using unless I look at the heating pin. The changes they made in the iolite were all in the bowl-mouthpiece, and dealt mainly with reliability and ease of use. Any changes in the heat delivery system would have meant altering the housing, and they never considered doing that.

I solely based this on research of model numbers. The one on Amazon for $114 was labelled the original model number, which is why I say that it was V1. Anything with the updated model number (v2) ran upwards of $200.00

Thanks for the info on the site. I will keep my eye out for proper shipping time or file a paypal claim and move forward with your recommendation above.

Cheers.

veganvapor,

jaekwong

So can someone tell me all the little tools that came with the wispr and what it does?

i have some of these brass looking metal rods with a flat end.
also 2 of these long white fabric rods.

Finally can i use isopropynol on a q-tip to clean the screen and bowl?

J

jaekwong,

dopefiend

jaekwong said:
So can someone tell me all the little tools that came with the wispr and what it does?

These are maintenance tools, used for venting the gas, taking out the screens, and for removing the herb chamber if it ever get stuck due to coagulated resin etc.

jaekwong said:

pipe cleaners for cleaning

jaekwong said:

J

yes you can, but make sure it all evaporates afterwards. best to run it empty for a bit after doing this so you don't inhale fumes from the residue.

dopefiend,

dopefiend

veganvapor said:
max said:
veganvapor said:
After browsing the web I have come to the realization that the $114.00 iolite on amazon is the V1 and not the v2.
There is no version 1 and 2. The changes they made to the original in the bowl and mouthpiece areas took place a couple of years ago, and it's highly unlikely that there are any original versions still around, unsold. In addition, there's no difference in performance. I have one of the first units shipped out of Ireland, back in Oct. of '08, and also one of the newer units, and I can't tell which one I'm using unless I look at the heating pin. The changes they made in the iolite were all in the bowl-mouthpiece, and dealt mainly with reliability and ease of use. Any changes in the heat delivery system would have meant altering the housing, and they never considered doing that.

I solely based this on research of model numbers. The one on Amazon for $114 was labelled the original model number, which is why I say that it was V1. Anything with the updated model number (v2) ran upwards of $200.00

Thanks for the info on the site. I will keep my eye out for proper shipping time or file a paypal claim and move forward with your recommendation above.

Cheers.

There is a V1 and V2- the newer ones came out in June 2011 and have a slightly different design and an upgraded igniton system. These come in a black box that says "IOLITE ORIGINAL" on it. The older models come in a box with a picture of the iolite in space and just says "IOLITE" on it.

First version with old ignition system (some have removable heat pin, but only the really really old ones)
Group_0020_Shot_0020_small.jpg

New version, named IOLITE ORIGINAL, with updated ignition system, from June 2011
iolite2.jpg

dopefiend,

jaekwong

Dopefiend,

Really appreciate your quick reply. One more question

dopefiend said:
These are maintenance tools, used for venting the gas, taking out the screens, and for removing the herb chamber if it ever get stuck due to coagulated resin etc.

what does it mean to vent the gas?

i wish there were more instructions on how to maintain this lovely device (my instructions manual only shows how to use it but not maintain/clean it) as many of us newbs are starting to vape but have no idea of how to take care of the device. this one is farfetched, but it'd be nice if someone could make a vid on how to take care of the wispr. :brow:

thanks again for everyone's help on this forum.. feedback is great here.

jaekwong,

max

Out to lunch
dopefiend said:
a slightly different design and an upgraded igniton system.
I was aware of the cosmetic change but not the internal one. Should hopefully be an improvement in reliability, but there should be no performance difference, once it's in heating mode. Thanks for the info.

jaekwong said:
what does it mean to vent the gas?
You depress the fill valve to empty the tank, in case there's air trapped inside, which would prevent a good fill of butane.

many of us newbs are starting to vape but have no idea of how to take care of the device.
Very little cleaning is necessary-mostly the mouthpiece. Clean out the bowl good after it's done and don't leave residue/leftovers in it, and you can go a long time between cleanings. Use rubbing alcohol and don't leave it on any non-metal parts long-clean it quick and rinse with water. Loading the bowl with a lot of herb will result in long vaping sessions and more of a challenge in the cleaning dept.

it'd be nice if someone could make a vid on how to take care of the wispr
There are youtube vids on cleaning the iolite-wispr's the same. Always check youtube for vape vids-there's a ton of 'em.

max,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

jaekwong said:

J

I soak everything in ISO. Even the silicone piece. No problems yet.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,
My Wispr now only seems to shut off if I turn it off WHILE it's heating up. If I turn it off any other time while It's on, it will just keep reheating. :/

I know the people at Gotvape.com and they said I have a 2year warranty, so I can just send it back any time I want. I might have to go back to the Iolite for a week or two, if my Wispr starts to become a problem.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update on the reliability. It's been about a month since I bought it. However, if my next one lasts me over a year and a half, I'll be more than happy with the purchase.

somehippie,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

somehippie said:
My Wispr now only seems to shut off if I turn it off WHILE it's heating up. If I turn it off any other time while It's on, it will just keep reheating. :/

I know the people at Gotvape.com and they said I have a 2year warranty, so I can just send it back any time I want. I might have to go back to the Iolite for a week or two, if my Wispr starts to become a problem.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update on the reliability. It's been about a month since I bought it. However, if my next one lasts me over a year and a half, I'll be more than happy with the purchase.

I have sent back 2 Wispr's in a 4 month period.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

jeff

CarlosSpiceyWeiner said:
somehippie said:

What have you sent them back for? Mine is not shutting off every time. Starts every time. I have a feeling the shut off thing is gonna be an issue. Just seems like the unreliable portion of the design.

jeff,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Are you allowing the unit to "cycle out"/ It is supposed to start and stop a couple of extra times after you turn it off.

Vitolo,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Vitolo said:
Are you allowing the unit to "cycle out"/ It is supposed to start and stop a couple of extra times after you turn it off.
While this is true of the iolite the wispr isn't supposed to do this

SF Giant,
Same problem. Trying shutting it off while it's heating up [orange LED on] and see if that works for you too.

I tend to turn it off when the LED is on max brightness; if I do it too early, the wispr does not shut off until I empty it of butane.

somehippie,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

jeff said:
CarlosSpiceyWeiner said:
somehippie said:

What have you sent them back for? Mine is not shutting off every time. Starts every time. I have a feeling the shut off thing is gonna be an issue. Just seems like the unreliable portion of the design.

Both Wispr's had a faultly filler valve. One day the gas just started pouring out from the bottom.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

SF Giant said:
Vitolo said:
While this is true of the iolite the wispr isn't supposed to do this

Your right the Wispr doesn't need to cycle out. It just switches off. Seems like the switch is just pinching the gas line closed. If i shut off while its heating/cycling it makes a fart like sound.

CarlosSpiceyWeiner,

jeff

Anyone tried Lotus Triple refined butane in a WISPR or Iolite. I was at REI and they were selling it in small can's which would be rad for travel.

jeff,

max

Out to lunch
Vitolo said:
Most have considered that the hissing = reheating (which is usually the case), but since the iolite does it after shut off, when heating isn't possible, we probably should use a term like 'cycling' instead. I don't know what they've changed so that the wispr doesn't hiss after shut off, but it doesn't. But as I've mentioned before, the vape is plenty hot enough after turning off to get another hit or three, so don't waste your weed and forget those shut down hits.

jeff said:
Anyone tried Lotus Triple refined butane in a WISPR or Iolite.
Nope, but it should work fine. That size isn't economical, so IMO it's only a good deal if you need the small size can.

max,

OF

jeff said:
Anyone tried Lotus Triple refined butane in a WISPR or Iolite. I was at REI and they were selling it in small can's which would be rad for travel.

I haven't tried that brand, but for travel I use a small (15ml I think) butane tank I got at the local smoke shop. It's clear, and came full of cheap Chinese fuel which I dumped outside. I then partially filled and flushed it with Vector a couple of times before finally filling it with 'the good stuff'. It holds about seven grams, enough to fill my Iolite twice.

This tank and a small vial with five more bowls (two bowls per fill) fit in a small camera case that also carries the Iolite. This one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F7DWH8/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

To fill, I use the number 2 adapter that comes with the gas on the Vector can (flat face, small lip around the tip). I put the small tank on the table and press the inverted big can down squarely. Usually no gas leaks with the filling process.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom