the unofficial FC bubbler thread

SD_haze

@ Stu - :) Check these at Soulshine (more proof-of-concept, imho):
$100 showerhead bubbler: http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=64
$100 inline wigwag bubbler: http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=65
$105 gridded inline bubbler: http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=63

@Teaparty - It's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish in this thread.

How are you getting those $100 bubblers to show up? They say 1 left in stock but when you go back to the bubblers page none of them are actually listed O_O

SD_haze,

placetime

Wow you're right, I've been on SSFG way too many times to have never seen the page 2 button :rofl:
Yeah, I missed it at first too. :nod: Makes me wonder if that's the reason why those $100 bubblers haven't sold yet...

placetime,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Good find, placetime. I didn't catch the second page either. Those pictures aren't that great, but from the looks of it they are pretty decent bargains for a bub.
:peace:

placetime

I think this is a really good idea and am going to see if I can find a artist that is interested in making the FC bubbler. Below are some of my favorite made by Governmint and Headford...

289464_186080404791689_6089924_o.jpg

4789d1269912689-ben-wilson-headford-glass-inline-bubblers-ben-1.jpg

Man, what an awesome first post Homie!! That's gotta be some kind of record or something--Homie currently has One post and Four "likes". Who else around here get's 400%. :haw: That Governmint piece is freaky cool. Do you have a link to that?

placetime,
Reactions: Homie
The only thing that kept me from grabbing the governmint was the inline(?) perc had 6 1/4"+ holes, witch didn't look super appealing to me. If you look closly at the pic, you can see them. 2 cents

havealight101,

greenmunster

I think he is trying to say this will never happen and we are retarded for trying. Does that about sum it up, TP? Because that's how you come across.
i'd have to agree on both accounts. dont see how it would be worth anybodies time. $100 doesn't stretch like it used to.

greenmunster,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
Anyone with a basic understanding of economics & basic accounting principals as well as some knowledge on what goes into creating a bubbler can easily understand why a $100 price point on something even similar to a mobius is simply not happening.

Tea Party,

placetime

So apparently I'm not the only one who is willing to claim (in one way or another) to not be clever enough to know how someone could make a quality piece of glass for under $100. :razz:

I admittedly know virtually nothing about the business of glass-blowing. But I've seen multiple examples of sub-$100 US-blown bubblers that don't suck, so I know that this idea is possible. It seems like an opportunity for a relatively unknown blower, possibly for a beginner/intermediate-level blower (or team of blowers?), to make a name for themselves, in my opinion. :2c:

greenmunster

Anyone with a basic understanding of economics & basic accounting principals as well as some knowledge on what goes into creating a bubbler can easily understand why a $100 price point on something even similar to a mobius is simply not happening.

liked the GP of this thread, although quickly seen the fail (its a $100 price limit).
just not worth a quality blowers time (old or young).

greenmunster,

stickstones

Vapor concierge

I agree that this may be impossible. I also think you have a pretty condescending tone on this forum. You could be nicer or just not post.

placetime

Thanks stickstones. I'm curious though--what is it that you see as maybe being impossible? Teaparty keeps saying that something like a Mobius is impossible. Is that what you're saying too? Or something else? (honestly curious on your take on this) Personally, I never really envisioned something "even similar to a mobius" being a feasible solution; but I do think there may be a feasible solution.

I'm open-minded enough to admit there's a possibility that this is an exercise in futility. Ultimately it might not be worth a blower's time to try to take on a project like this (i.e., might not be profitable enough). Not being a blower myself, I'm not a good judge of that. But, I haven't seen or heard anything yet that disproves the concept. And, I don't understand how/why y'all dismiss the Zap Bubbler, some of the SSFG bubblers, and the SSV bubbler as not roughly fitting into the category of bubbler that we (or at least I) have been discussing in this thread. What am I missing about those pieces? Maybe I'm just ignorant. Somebody please school me. (and I don't consider a whack on the knuckles as being educational--just makes one think the teacher is ignorant too :p )

SD_haze

Zapbubler definitely is a perfect example that it should be very possible. Only it isn't $100, it's $85 :p

I don't think anyone is looking for something more than a simple showerhead, but certainly something even more simple if the glass is great quality and the price is right.
:2c:

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
So apparently I'm not the only one who is willing to claim (in one way or another) to not be clever enough to know how someone could make a quality piece of glass for under $100. :razz:

I admittedly know virtually nothing about the business of glass-blowing. But I've seen multiple examples of sub-$100 US-blown bubblers that don't suck, so I know that this idea is possible. It seems like an opportunity for a relatively unknown blower, possibly for a beginner/intermediate-level blower (or team of blowers?), to make a name for themselves, in my opinion. :2c:
Yea, and work it locally, one proto for all, many blowers for one pro to :)
Share the proto model and blow it with your local glass blower find through this thread :) anyone else any input???

Zangano Cruel,

placetime

Yea, and work it locally, one proto for all, many blowers for one pro to :)
Share the proto model and blow it with your local glass blower find through this thread :) anyone else any input???

not sure if i'm following you correctly--are you suggesting kind of an open-source economy-style FC bubbler design? :tup:

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
Zapbubler definitely is a perfect example that it should be very possible. Only it isn't $100, it's $85 :p

I don't think anyone is looking for something more than a simple showerhead, but certainly something even more simple if the glass is great quality and the price is right.
:2c:
Going to point the same, showerhead or even my guess easier, honeycomb perc, like boobs Liquid Sci, mine's as well, like evolver glass(glasstafarian) , some kind of good old natural perc plus a little help of new school diffusion, example the fritter, cost of a cheap frit, maybe free(I saw in some LHS, they sell glass screens made of chips and bit leftovers from making fancier percs :) jaja, David Goldstein's genius for real!!!:bowdown: and blow it locally, avoid dealers/retailers $$$$$$$ 100% plus profit :( and mailing, waiting time and worldwide web free :tup:

Do we need 7mm thick glass??? is more expensive???? IDK
I just need 3mm, 4mm maybe.
Tall??? Noooo, vapor don't need that much water volume??? IMO 5" to 7" tall can is OK???
Low down to the can percolation/diffusion????? BIG YESSSS :tup: no mouth splash!!!
Low water volume ???? Less weight and more portability :tup:
Sidecar mouthpiece??? YES no mouth splash:tup: and you can see and fancy the bubble action PRICELESS
Wide semi thick base???? YES a plus for stability :tup: Cloud & EQ users
18mm GonG female??? YES more airflow and you can use an adapter for 14mm :clap:
Local glass blower???? YES we avoid dealers/retailers/couriers...

This is IMO, any more inputs??? Hitman cheaper thinner replica??? boobs replica?? more replicas?? smaller sizes???

Zangano Cruel,
Reactions: placetime

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Placetime... I say that because I spent the last for months trying to find a good, cheap bubbler and couldn't. I ended up getting a matrix ion for more than I started out wanting to spend. so maybe it can be done and maybe it can't.

Tea Party makes good points, he just has a hard time not being abrasive.

placetime

I hear ya stickstones. But it still seems to me that a big part of this is how one defines a "good, cheap bubbler," right? It's subjective, I know. In what way(s) would you consider the Zapbubler, SSFG bubblers, and SSV bubbler to not be "good cheap bubblers"? They pale in comparison to the matrix ion, to be sure, but they seem to be functional enough or close to it for most people, at least as far as I can tell with my inexperienced eye and only pics on the web.

In the past, I've been exposed to a $20 5" tall soft glass piece with a too-long 14mm slightly diffused (5 pin holes around the bottom) downstem stuck through a grommet. Pretty? No. Purr? No. Zero-drag? No. Functional, in that it cooled and hydrated with no water in the mouth? Yes. That thing was pretty ugly. I think that it could be possible to make something much better for less than $100--much prettier than the soft glass shenanigans that I just described, but nowhere near as sparkling pretty and drag-free as a mobius is necessary (though who knows...maybe there's some as-yet-undiscovered super-talent who'll get his first break here on FC... :lol: )

In addition to the SSV, Zap, and SSFG bubblers that have already been mentioned, I can find several other bubblers online at or very near the $100 mark that appear to be thick, nice, US-blown glass. Most of them seem to be direct-inject, though, which I find kind of annoying (doesn't work as well for me as a female joint). It can't be that much different in the blower's cost, if at all, to weld on a female joint vs a male joint, right? And maybe design around some of the ideas that have been tossed around? But again, I'm no blower, so what the hell do I know? Hmm....maybe it's time for me to start taking glass-blowing classes so at least I'll have a more accurate perpective on all this? :p

placetime,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
Going to point the same, showerhead or even my guess easier, honeycomb perc, like boobs Liquid Sci, mine's as well, like evolver glass(glasstafarian) , some kind of good old natural perc plus a little help of new school diffusion, example the fritter, cost of a cheap frit, maybe free(I saw in some LHS, they sell glass screens made of chips and bit leftovers from making fancier percs :) jaja, David Goldstein's genius for real!!!:bowdown: and blow it locally, avoid dealers/retailers $$$$$$$ 100% plus profit :( and mailing, waiting time and worldwide web free :tup:

Do we need 7mm thick glass??? is more expensive???? IDK
I just need 3mm, 4mm maybe.

Even 3/4mm is still going to be costly for quality lass.

Tall??? Noooo, vapor don't need that much water volume??? IMO 5" to 7" tall can is OK???

+ what, a 5-8" mouth piece?

Low down to the can percolation/diffusion????? BIG YESSSS :tup: no mouth splash!!!

Good luck achieving that with something hand spun and not made on a lathe

Low water volume ???? Less weight and more portability :tup:

See above

Sidecar mouthpiece??? YES no mouth splash:tup: and you can see and fancy the bubble action PRICELESS
Wide semi thick base???? YES a plus for stability :tup: Cloud & EQ users

The flat wide thick bases you see on tubes and mobius bubblers has to be spun on a lathe. Thick bases require thick glass BTW

18mm GonG female??? YES more airflow and you can use an adapter for 14mm :clap:
Local glass blower???? YES we avoid dealers/retailers/couriers...

How many local glass blowers do you know that just take order from people in off the street and sell it at whole sale?

This is IMO, any more inputs??? Hitman cheaper thinner replica??? boobs replica?? more replicas?? smaller sizes???
:\

Tea Party,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
In the past, I've been exposed to a $20 5" tall soft glass piece with a too-long 14mm slightly diffused (5 pin holes around the bottom) downstem stuck through a grommet.

Imported chinese grommet vs american made GonG

Tea Party,
@ Stu - :) Check these at Soulshine (more proof-of-concept, imho):
$100 showerhead bubbler: http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=64
$100 inline wigwag bubbler: http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=65
$105 gridded inline bubbler: http://ssfgglass.com/shop/product.php?id_product=63

@Teaparty - It's not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish in this thread.

Wow, those are some nice pieces for the asking price, and SSFG stands behind their stuff. The showerhead is 14mm whcih is "meh" in my mind but otherwise those look awesome.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: placetime
Top Bottom