Discontinued The Sublimator

LC-

Received my Sublimator this morning, perfectly packed and delivered. Thankyou so much once again to PV for all their help and the incredible delivery and order process.
Just wanted to confirm that the US version seems to work perfectly in the UK with a step-down converter. I'm seeing no heat/use issues, and the unit appears to be stable. Will let you know how it performs over the next few weeks, but fingers cross US models should be all good with the right UK/EU inverter.
Unfortunately I've not had a chance to test out the unit yet. All cleaned but no Glass in house, so having to wait another 12 hours before a spare RooR turns up. Really looking forwards to hitting this thing though, is a seriously cool design and cant wait to see if it hits as hard as the vides.

Enrico

Manufacturer
We were trying to get Enrico to clarify the rules but he so far hasn't responded. He never set a closing date, for example. Right now, Enrico was last active June 21, so perhaps he's forgotten about us.

As Tweek says, when (if?) it becomes official then we'll announce it.
my dear pakolo i have opened the thread called sublimator impersonator... just tought you knew ... please let's have the contesst begin we declare the winner bye end of octobre

goatgobaahh

Good thing we have some time, my boss is my camera man and we have been drumming up ideas for a few weeks.

Gonna start shooting real soon :cool:

Keep on subbinin!

goatgobaahh,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
They just had a really busy week up there in Canada, with the Health Expo, Kush Cup, Day Cruises and Cannabis Day... if you check the vids, they have been in party/recovery mode for at least a week... ;)

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

LC-

Managed to get hold of a new glass piece today and finally put the Sub to use after a long 24 hour wait. All I can say is wow. So far I have only used it once, due to work this evening, but I am absolutely blown away by the quantity and quality of vape produced. Absolutely incredible, and agreed that the high is certainly uplifting, although I can imagine that 2 or 3 in a row would have an immediate couch lock effect. Really amazed with what Enrico has created. Will write an extended entry after a few days of use, but certainly not disappointed in my purchase ( nor is the individual who received the other unit i bought ).
Also, works perfectly in EU with the inverter! Can still use a watt meter to measure digital reading of your temp/power used. Will upload some pictures of the setup in the next few hours. Thank you to everyone for the advice that brought me to this point!!!

hassan

Connoisseur
Also, works perfectly in EU with the inverter! Can still use a watt meter to measure digital reading of your temp/power used. Will upload some pictures of the setup in the next few hours. Thank you to everyone for the advice that brought me to this point!!!

Hope I assisted in that decision!

Happy Subbing!

LC-

You certainly were hassan! Must admit i'm going to have to get a Nimbus/Eagle as well, but thats just due to the renewed faith the Sub has given me in Vape.
Out of interest how long do people usually give for heat-up, with both pieces together? I'm using a RooR piece so the apollo fits perfectly into the down pipe, making for easy clearing. Currently leaving them together for 20 minutes before hits, but unsure if thats overkill.

LC-,
Reactions: hassan

hassan

Connoisseur
You certainly were hassan! Must admit i'm going to have to get a Nimbus/Eagle as well, but thats just due to the renewed faith the Sub has given me in Vape.
Out of interest how long do people usually give for heat-up, with both pieces together? I'm using a RooR piece so the apollo fits perfectly into the down pipe, making for easy clearing. Currently leaving them together for 20 minutes before hits, but unsure if thats overkill.

I'm very tempted to get on the Nimbus bandwagon myself! I just can't really justify dropping another $500 at this point, unfortunately. Plus, I've never used the Cloud, so I don't have the drool producing experience of many others on here.

As far as warm-up time goes - other than the power outage yesterday, I hadn't turned the Sub off in a few days - so I haven't really had a lot of experience with heating it from a cold start.

I recall that Enrico mentioned that if you crank up the temperature to the max for about five minutes and then dial it down to the temperature you're looking for, it speeds up the overall process.

However, he also mentioned that if that five minute period were to stretch to a ten minute period, your overall wait time may increase because it'll take time for the unit to cool back down.

Personally, I'd just find a stable enough location where it isn't going to be inadvertently touched and just leave the Apollo heater sitting in the Atomizer until the end of time.

hassan,

weedemon

enthusiast
I have my solo always charged and a gnome on standby just for this case hassan! power outages are inconvenient to say the least! it's somewhat funny to think about things we take for granted as always having. (running water, electricity, internet, cars etc...)

nice to see enrico has returned to us! and yes it seems he has been super busy with all the vids I have been seeing.

btw I predict someone burns their house down with a sub accident. I am just putting that out there. this thing is dangerous! Common sense and basic safety are a given, but you just can't account for the x factor. (a flying random dog tail, someone maybe bumps the table, or the cord gets tangled... anything could happen.)

I'll give you an example and hope you learn from my lesson I got the hard way a 2nd time now. (burn #2)

my atomizer had become a tad wobbly, and tightening the 2 parts wasn't doing anything. it felt tight/solid. but the handle could spin freely. odd right? well I kept on using it until I had an accident at 5 am last night. (it took heating it up to be able to take it apart the 2 pieces were stuck together)

I went to pull the sub out of my bong after I took my hit and it stuck a little bit this time. (no resin on the join or the teflon part, I checked already) so finally it came loose, but as I was holding it by the bottom handle to remove it. (as I have done every single time before) the heater jumped out of the atomizer, and came to sit on my forearm. in my panic i dropped the atomizer on my desk and then realized I had to react and pick up my sub and atomizer fast. the wood floor was just fine luckily, my desk had the varnish bubble up on one spot. (minor, but happened)

so I got my oven glove and with it hot I was able to take the atomizer apart. It was very dirty! I scraped the end of the atomizer out, and put it back together. been rocking much better since!

a little preventative maintenance would have gone a long way. the blister went away once I woke up this time, so i think it was a much less nasty burn than the first time.

everyone please be careful!!!

weedemon,

Tweek

When the power goes out, I either make love or go to sleep till it comes back on. :spliff:

Used the sub to vape a herbal blend from vaporbros and it was great. The blend contained lemon balm and peppermint which really felt lovely and misty.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
When the power goes out, I either make love or go to sleep till it comes back on. :spliff:

Used the sub to vape a herbal blend from vaporbros and it was great. The blend contained lemon balm and peppermint which really felt lovely and misty.

but it'll add a great taste to your sublimate as well

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: Tweek

hassan

Connoisseur
I went to pull the sub out of my bong after I took my hit and it stuck a little bit this time. (no resin on the join or the teflon part, I checked already) so finally it came loose, but as I was holding it by the bottom handle to remove it. (as I have done every single time before) the heater jumped out of the atomizer, and came to sit on my forearm.

When I am pulling the Atomizer out of the bong to clear the chamber, I hold both handles in each hand; i.e: I hold the Apollo Heater's handle in my right hand, and the Atomizer's handle in the left - that way there's no way that the heater could separate from the Atomizer.

Once I've cleared the chamber, I put both back into the bong. I then lift the heater off the Atomizer with my right hand, and whilst holding the heater the entire time, I lift off the Atomizer using my left hand, dump the ABV/screen into my ABV container, put the Atomizer back in the bong, put the screen into the Atomizer, and then finally put the Apollo back on to the Atomizer.

Also - I picked up this tube of stuff called 'ToobLoob' - which essentially is shaped like (and seems to have the consistency of) chapstick; I've merely rubbed it over the 18mm-14mm reducer that I have had the Atomizer in since the first day of use, and have had no friction related problems pulling the joint out since.

hassan,
Reactions: weedemon

JCat

Accessory Maker
I do like Hassan ... both hands on the Sublimator for clearing and my mouth holding the bong down. (Careful ... careful ... careful ...)

JCat,
Reactions: hassan

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
my atomizer had become a tad wobbly, and tightening the 2 parts wasn't doing anything. it felt tight/solid. but the handle could spin freely. odd right?

When CentiZen and I had our Sub session, we kept turning the atomizer handle back and forth for easy handling. The atomizer screws together at the handle, as I'm sure you know, and I realized that doing this was unscrewing the assembly. I tightened it up and all went well, but it was tricky because of course that thing was pretty hot. I think the lesson here is that if your handle is spinning freely then tighten that sucker up. I'm not sure why tightening it didn't work for you. On the other hand, your post reads as though the problem wasn't caused by the atomizer coming apart, is that right?

stickstones

Vapor concierge
weedemon...we would need a house that combusts at 500F to catch fire. I'm no expert on these things, but cotton has to get to about 700F, I think. While I am scared of personal injury, I don't worry about many things around it (except power cords which like to melt when touching it).

Also, I have been using it with my cloudbuddy to catch reclaim and I use the built in carb to clear initially...it just is less intense. Then I can leisurely remove the atomizer and dump the load.

stickstones,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
weedemon...we would need a house that combusts at 500F to catch fire. I'm no expert on these things, but cotton has to get to about 700F, I think. While I am scared of personal injury, I don't worry about many things around it (except power cords which like to melt when touching it).

Also, I have been using it with my cloudbuddy to catch reclaim and I use the built in carb to clear initially...it just is less intense. Then I can leisurely remove the atomizer and dump the load.

I think it gets hot enough to ignite paper.

pakalolo,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I gave mine a 20 minute warmup (at 30W) yesterday before taking my first hit. The hit was decent, but the ABV came out green and tan. After letting it heat up for an additional 20 minutes, I got a couple of huge fat rips that sent me into a coughing fit. The ABV came out an even dark brown (just the way I like it).

So I guess I learned that (at least at 30W) I need to give a longer initial warmup or crank the temp up for the warmup process. YMMV.

:peace:

hassan

Connoisseur
Proper temp can definitely make the difference between a massive rip and something just "meh".

That being said - I find I get more intense cerebral effects at say 25-27W as opposed to 29-30W - despite the fact that the ABV comes out that darker, more spent brown at the higher temperature, and a more golden brown at the lower.

That's the one concept I haven't managed to wrap my head around with the Sublimator.

I've always taken the colour of my ABV as an indication of how thoroughly spent my load is - however, with the Sublimator it seems that since the heat is applied uniformly all at once, the darker ABV might be indicating that certain elements of the load don't have enough time to be released in the most ideal manner and so you end up with a less potent buzz/high than you would have at a lower temperature that allowed those chemicals to be released optimally?

Okay so this is very weird...

Why would the energy that my Sublimator is drawing be reduced?

I had it plugged in last night and it was drawing 25-26W, no problems.

Finally got around to wanting to hit it today for the first time, and I looked at my energy monitor and it was reading at 20-21W.

I know no one has touched the Sublimator or the dial - and this was confirmed by the fact that the marking on my dial is still at the 'sweet spot' that I've put on there with a marker.

I cranked up the temperature to max and it seems that the Sub is now only drawing a measly 38W with the dial cranked all the way up - whereas before it was drawing somewhere closer to 48-49W.

I packed the same sized bowl that I would normally pack, and it came out more green than brown - and the vapour wasn't nearly as potent either.

I'm worried there may be something wrong with the Sublimator itself?

Any thoughts?

hassan,
Top Bottom