Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@eideal852, what are you even talking about??? You said, "confirmed w him this AM re: no more repairs." & " I don’t know, I’m less in the loop than that, but on a live god, he had mentioned something along those lines."

Did you or did you not contact him & get a reply that he's not doing repair anymore? You either know or you don't definitively. I can't see you getting 3 Splinters recently & him not honoring his repair warranty if something is wrong with them. So please let us know what you do or do not know factually.

I had a conversation with Ryan recently and I think what he means here is that he's switching to replacements rather than repairs. I didn't ask for clarification, but it's possible that this applies only to Splinters, not other RBT products, and maybe only to the Chinese units.

started@52

Seen the deal with Vapefiend on Thursday so ordered and just had it delivered with a water adaptor. Looks very nice and smaller than expected. Bit confused as how you take apart in the event you need to change the coil, screen or maybe just clean. I have a dna mod but have never used it in anything apart from wattage. I had intended using it on an Ijoy zenith however I don't feel the mod will give me enough accuracy considering the potentiometer changes in .3v increments.
You don’t take them apart. It doesn’t use a coil, it uses a heating element that should last years and years. Screen should never get dirty as airflow doesn’t draw any material into it. Just lightly brush out any stray partials while holding upside down.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So...I have heard reports that the V1 is 19/19 only? Can someone confirm that or are they just shipped with 19/19 stems? Sounds odd he would go back to 19-19 bowl when all other current splinters are 19/22 bowls that will take either 19 or 22mm stems.

Believe he did this to make the splinter as compact as possible, while it also makes stems more unique so he can offer the specific stems you need (like wpa and coolers) instead of people trying a bunch of aftermarket stems that may or may not work well, which was already the case with 19/22 anyway so now it is just even more specific

Last edited:

started@52

Believe he did this to make this splinter as compact to as possible, while it also makes stems more unique so he can offer the specific stems you need (like wpa and coolers) instead of people trying a bunch of aftermarket stems that may or may not work well, which was already the case with 19/22 anyway so now it is just even more specific
Well, if the unit truly is shorter then that’s a plus for me. My V1 Shipped today so I’ll know soon. Thanks.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I got my V1 shipping email today too.

So if I have a wpa that feels like it fits the Splinter do I need to confirm it or is that enough? This one I maybe ordered with my Tubo X.

bossman,
Reactions: ataxian

little maggie

My v1 is coming too. Can someone please point me to the explanation of the difference between the splinter and v1 other than where it was made.

little maggie,

Mangu

I got my V1 shipping email today too.

So if I have a wpa that feels like it fits the Splinter do I need to confirm it or is that enough? This one I maybe ordered with my Tubo X.
If you got a V1 you need to make sure that your stem is less than 19mm length, otherwise it will go too deep into your heating chamber and damage the heater screen at the bottom.

My v1 is coming too. Can someone please point me to the explanation of the difference between the splinter and v1 other than where it was made.
The V1 is the newest Splinter model. Ryan is often upgrading the splinter as he comes up with new developments during production. The main difference in the V1 is that it’s his first “mass-produced” unit. He has designed the recipe and now it is being cooked up in China. Previously, I have been informed, Ryan hand-made all the splinters himself, now that’s no longer the case with the V1, as they were produced by his Chinese partners and were finally inspected and finished by Ryan. The Chinese units have some cosmetic improvements like the logo at the bottom of the 510 addy is 3D and the overall form has been minimized. Ryan talked about how those new 510 attachments were much more solid and well-built than his older peices. The new heat sink is lined with ceramic along the interior, as opposed to the mica in previous iterations. The V1 brings two stems and 3 screens along with a brush tool, the original Splinter came with one stem and two screens. The new V1 is packaged in a custom-designed color box, the old one was in a plain brown box. Also, some older Splinters had 19/22 heater joints, but the V1 is only able to accommodate the 19/19 joint stems. There’s also the Splinter z....which is different from the V1 in a few more ways.

Last edited:

little maggie

Thanks. I have a splinter and z. Right now the z is my main vape- much better than the splinter. My understanding though is that the v1 is more like the splinter than the z.

little maggie,

Mangu

Thanks. I have a splinter and z. Right now the z is my main vape- much better than the splinter. My understanding though is that the v1 is more like the splinter than the z.
Your understanding is correct. The V1 is equipped with the shorter/smaller HSA heater from the Milaana and previous Splinter models. The Z shares the deeper/larger heater from the Zion.

Mangu

Any reason to go with the V1 over the Z?

The Z has a bigger heater and intended for putting out a little more power. With that being said, the HSA heaters in both cases are capable of producing a good deal of heat.

I have a 4-hole Z that can be a little too hot on its own through a standard glass stem. I’ve covered two of the holes in the past and enjoyed the fact that there was a little less draw restriction. Mostly I prefer to use it with at least a cooling stem. Some might prefer that more open draw of a 4-hole Z, especially if you’re filtering through water. I’ve had the best experience using my Z through a 19/22 whip adapter attached to the UFO.

This setup has been yielding some amazing results. I liked the Z before, but now I see why I paid so much for it.

I am waiting on my V1 and looking forward to the smaller size and the 2-hole configuration. I’m expecting it’ll heat up at a slightly lower wattage than the Z but ultimately should be a very similar vapor experience. I’ve also a Milaana 2, which has the same smaller heater as the Splinter(V1). After gaining an understanding of the unregulated push-button on the Milaana, I really enjoy using it (via stem) even more than the Z, as the heat from the Z can be a little overwhelming through a standard stem.

At the end of the day there’s different setups for using both and they could serve different occasions, so it’ll come down to personal preference. If you’re planning to use natively as a hand held portable I recommend the standard Splinter (V1) since it’s smaller and more discrete. If you want more flexibility to use with gong attachment and filter through water I’d recommend the Splinter Z, which is also a little larger and bulkier. I don’t think you could really go wrong either way though.

little maggie

I know the splinter is a bit shorter than the z but it seems to me that what makes the biggest difference in portability is the size of the mod. My z with its p80 fits in my pocket without problems while my splinter with its bulkier mod doesn't.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I had a conversation with Ryan recently and I think what he means here is that he's switching to replacements rather than repairs. I didn't ask for clarification, but it's possible that this applies only to Splinters, not other RBT products, and maybe only to the Chinese units.

I do know that Ryan said in a stream a month or two ago that he was looking to handle warranties in a different way. Obviously, he doesn't want to deal with warranties if he can avoid it. Instead he said he was thinking units would be replaced through the vendors. And something about older units being replaced with new ones for 50%-off. But this needs to be clarified as to how exactly it will work. I'd hate to have my vape crap out because of a legitimate defect & have to pay for an upgrade. If I can catch a IG stream, I will ask if he can clarify.

That broken v1 is one of FOUR Splinter's I snagged during Joyous Jahmas Photoshop contest/raffle/goodvibes event:

V1 jank (B)
V1 jank (B-)
V2 Blackwood (:o)
V1 jank (B+)roken

Curious as to how each of the 3 Splinters are damaged or ... janked.

He's what he says about his current giveaway: "Post a pic of your favorite musician using an RBT vape, tag 2 friends and #rbtmusicicons and be entered to win a janked up (slightly flawed) #rbtsplinterv1"

eideal852

I do know that Ryan said in a stream a month or two ago that he was looking to handle warranties in a different way. Obviously, he doesn't want to deal with warranties if he can avoid it. Instead he said he was thinking units would be replaced through the vendors. And something about older units being replaced with new ones for 50%-off. But this needs to be clarified as to how exactly it will work. I'd hate to have my vape crap out because of a legitimate defect & have to pay for an upgrade. If I can catch a IG stream, I will ask if he can clarify.

Curious as to how each of the 3 Splinters are damaged or ... janked.

He's what he says about his current giveaway: "Post a pic of your favorite musician using an RBT vape, tag 2 friends and #rbtmusicicons and be entered to win a janked up (slightly flawed) #rbtsplinterv1"
the other contest was for the same, slightly janked b-grade rejects.
All very minimally “janked”, tbh. One (B) has an almost imperceptible “crack” in the wood, at either the edge of the 510 fitting, or the edge of glass (that one’s packaged still, but seriously, he showed it on cam and I couldn’t see it, and hunted when I unpacked. I’d have to hunt again to show it.) The second one of those two was a bit worse (B- maybe C), I COULD see it on cam, and quickly in real life as well, hairline crack from glass down top half. Seriously hairline. Doesn’t seem to affect performance at all (plug holes and seems tight, no draw issues/leaking)

Next package was v2 Blackwood (A), looks a beaut, but I’ve barely touched it. And the v1 in that box came broken (would’ve been B+ but came glass cracked all the way around and sunk!), but I didn’t see anything wood-wise. Of the three, as far as wood was concerned, only the one (B-/C)would have had me emailing about quality. But to be fair, I’m a wood noob, so I’d likely thing it was character ;D

Summer

Long Island, NY
@eideal852, I would think that the last one: "And the v1 in that box came broken (would’ve been B+ but came glass cracked all the way around and sunk!)" would be the one you want fixed as the other 2 still work. Broken glass, not a good thing.

For the others (cracked wood), should they get worse, possible for you to use glue to fix the cracks as he does glue the glass to the wood. I think he uses loctite glue, but don't quote me on this.

Last edited:
Summer,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Got my preorder V1.in today's mail and it's quite beautiful.
I've only had a chance for two bowls that I had to rush through, but definitely got it working! Set on 35 watts and a few seconds preheat brought real nice tasty clouds. I believe I'm going to like this thing.
Waaay too much clicking on this mod I got, I have some fine tuning to do on that thing. This part is all new to me.

eideal852

RB
Got my preorder V1.in today's mail and it's quite beautiful.
I've only had a chance for two bowls that I had to rush through, but definitely got it working! Set on 35 watts and a few seconds preheat brought real nice tasty clouds. I believe I'm going to like this thing.
Waaay too much clicking on this mod I got, I have some fine tuning to do on that thing. This part is all new to me.
hahahah, im coming off the Milaana, and my mods (weird kanger pollex and a wisme rx200) do NOT like the milaana pulse on that button. I'll be sailing then ive changed modes/locked screen/whanged wattage. ha!

analytika

I give @RastaBuddhaTao an A+for product, but a C- for messaging. We've seen frantic pleas, a putative shutdown, talk of an alliance with dynavap, hints he's floating his resume, talk of moving to another state, the pivot to China, disappearance (and reemergence) from social media, and now a pivot to retail.

His most recent missive can be read at least a half-dozen different ways.

I shared my impression a couple of weeks ago that it all sounded very late stage.

And now, indeed, it appears something of significance has happened, but we don't know the full story.

Maybe RBT has crossed a threshold, and emerged stronger and sustainable. Or maybe it's a last big push to earn some return on his work of the last few years, before closing up shop.

if indeed things have turned around and RBT is here to stay, I hope there is an upgrade to communication with us, a glimpse into whatever has just transpired, whether that's new outside funding, retailers ponying up for significant pre buys, etc. Yes indeed we've heard bits and pieces along these lines already. It's time for RBT to clear up and clean up the narrative IMHO.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
RB

hahahah, im coming off the Milaana, and my mods (weird kanger pollex and a wisme rx200) do NOT like the milaana pulse on that button. I'll be sailing then ive changed modes/locked screen/whanged wattage. ha!

Nice avatar! Did you draw that?

I'm psyched to get my V1 today or tomorrow. Not that I'm roughing it with a domestic Splinter and Z already in regular rotation.

Again for posterity: everybody should consider investing in a DNA mod for their Splinter at some point. I'll have to see whether the performance gains are just as legit with the V1.

@analytika, I read that email and didn't get stuck on any ambiguity. It seemed more like diplomatic enthusiasm, like the future looks bright but sticking to general terms. The vendor list seemed encouraging and it also makes sense to let retailers handle warranty replacements. Was there something you were expecting to learn about the future of RBT?

I'm sure there are several legitimate criticisms you or others can level at Ryan in terms of the business plan and execution throughout these early stages. Big picture though, it's a short list of really high performing products that will soon be available from more places with an eye toward improving reliability, sales, and customer service. It seems reasonable that the path would look the way it did and this seems like a good place to be.

When my V1 preorder arrives I'll be curious how it stacks up and then I'll probably move on to wondering about the performance and value of a Chinese Splinter Z, right?

Tl;dr: the Z is the best vape I own so I'm looking through rose-colored glasses at any fuck-ups or wrong turns that got us to where we are now.

eideal852

Nice avatar! Did you draw that?

I'm psyched to get my V1 today or tomorrow. Not that I'm roughing it with a domestic Splinter and Z already in regular rotation.

Again for posterity: everybody should consider investing in a DNA mod for their Splinter at some point. I'll have to see whether the performance gains are just as legit with the V1.

Yessir, or at least these hands did! I'm just a conduit man...:D (ive been a bit mad since i received my Mi2 and started with the IG contests)

What are your thoughts re: DNA vs a FW'd mod? I'm picking up a wismec realeaux rx300 today...

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
What are your thoughts re: DNA vs a FW'd mod? I'm picking up a wismec realeaux rx300 today...

I don't know what fw stands for. I was using a Wismec rx gen3 dual for both Splinters before getting the bronze wismec dna250. The rxg3d worked fine running Arctic Fox and the interface is nicely laid out. I really don't know why but the DNA just makes both Splinters work better. They heat more evenly with less risk of hot spots. I've only gone back to the rxg3d once or twice and it still works fine but requires more careful hitting and more frequent stirring.

Well done killing those contests. It's like King won that won thing and you won everything else!

bossman,
Reactions: JCat

Summer

Long Island, NY
@analytika, I read that email and didn't get stuck on any ambiguity. It seemed more like diplomatic enthusiasm, like the future looks bright ... The vendor list seemed encouraging and it also makes sense to let retailers handle warranty replacements.

I'm sure there are several legitimate criticisms you or others can level at Ryan in terms of the business plan and execution throughout these early stages. Big picture though, it's a short list of really high performing products that will soon be available from more places with an eye toward improving reliability, sales, and customer service. ... this seems like a good place to be.

I agree.

Maybe RBT has crossed a threshold, and emerged stronger and sustainable. Or maybe it's a last big push to earn some return on his work of the last few years, before closing up shop.

I can't believe since he's securing retailers (last I heard he was looking for AU retailers) & setting them up with inventory in a last push to earn some return & then to close up shop.

Logically, he's got the Splinter, the Z & the Mi2 already & he's got the Sliver for concentrates in beta-testng & working on the Splinter log & has toyed with idea of an induction vape. What I personally assume is that he's looking to remove himself from the manufacturing & warranty process as much as possible. We all know that the creative process is his shtick & not the mundane daily business activities. But he did say in his email that Vgoodiez will be the exclusive dealer of the US made RBT Custom line which will feature heavy wall German glass and exotic woods and other upgrades (& thicker XL8r stems). So I again assume that he is going to be the one to perform that custom work.

As far as the V1 is concerned, looks like the assembly as well as mfr'ing has been completely handed over to China. All he has to do is quality checks for each batch until he's secure that he can leave it totally in China's hands. Then he can even have the inventory drop-shipped to the retailers so he's completely removed from that process. He will just need to handle ordering, accounting & any probs. that arise. He did say in his email that Stephanie is now the US Sales Manager so she's gonna assume some of his responsibilities.

Naturally, his base is currently FC, reddit & VLF, but we know how that goes. A forum member shows it to friends who aren't on the boards & then they buy it & so on & so on. Where pot it legal there's add'l. exposure: People on the street ask about it & getting his products into smoking/vaping lounges where people can try them.

Once he's on an even keel, there's no reason he can't go back to work, even part time if he chooses.

Well, that's my take on it. And we will see in time if I'm right or not.

The Sliver

Log Vape
log.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom