Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

little maggie

I don’t thonk that you’re going to find a “cheap” authentic DNA mod....Why? If you go to the Evolv website, a builders ten pack of DNA60 boards and screens go for $44 per unit. 250c’s are up around $80 per unit. That’s before the build, so do the math...so, if you find a “cheap” one, either the builder is taking a loss or it’s a fake. You decide.
Not sure what you mean. I bought an HCigar for under $80 recommended by Alan. I would think he would know what is authentic and not.

little maggie,

Summer

Long Island, NY
Ryan did a stream tonight & discussed the new warranty going forward.

Warranties & repairs (as I understand it, something like detached glass bowls) will be handled by the 3 regional authorized retailer in the US (VGoodiez) Canada (PV) & EU (VF). (I will interject here that, indeed, as I previously said, Ryan's working on securing an AU distributor.) However, the repairs for the US-based VG will be forwarded over to Ryan. This way, Canadian & EU customers won't have to deal with the hassle of customs (expense & long delivery times).

Now, if it is a verifiable warranty issue, the unit will be replaced with a new one. Don't know, though, if US warranty repairs will also go back to Ryan for verification before unit replacement.

He mentioned something about Sneaky Pete, Herb Cafe(?) & To The Cloud (well, Cloud-something) also getting or possibly getting some inventory, but only the 3 aforementioned stores will he handling warranties.

Stephanie now has the title of US Sale Mgr & she is going to try to drum up wholesale orders at stores. Ryan says he's gonna contact small shops & see if he can drum up some grassroots business. And he is gonna do what he himself said he does best tonight -- create.

He said that VG will be getting the V-2, stems, 19/19mm wpa, 6 Zs (2 units of 3 colors) & the new Drydrotube(?) stem. Don't know how soon the others will get a shipment. Got the idea that there won't be anymore V-1s, just V-2. If I'm right, don't know if this is because the only wood that will be offered will be blackwood OR maybe the V-2 (regardless of woods offered) has some enhancement that the V-1 did not. :shrug:I get the feeling, & it's just a feeling, that with the V-2 design, Ryan has taken the Splinter as far as it needs to go.

Mi2 will start to be ready in about 3 - 4 or 5 weeks.

The Drydrotube is an ultra-long cooling stem, which is really cool. :clap: I'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I think the dimples in the stem may be figured different than the cooling stem.

OK, I'm pretty sure I covered everything. I tried to be as accurate as possible, but it's a little like telephone -- filled in the gaps of what I didn't clearly catch in the stream (poetic license :brow:) & the specifics as best as I can remember.

Net result, since it's all finally taking shape at the retail level, now it's all about inventory availability ... so we can buy, buy buy! :nod:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
A day and a half in and I'm loving my new best friend. Delicious and seems to allow a very wide range of use pattern, from tasty wisps to big clouds. Bravo, RBT! It's beautifully crafted, regardless of where it was made!

As a newcomer to box mods, etc, I've started out with a Wismec Sinuous P80. It certainly seems capable of powering the V1, with some obvious trade-offs in ease of use, hey, what do you get for 30 or 40 bucks anyway?

I'm surprised that I'm only getting slightly more than 3 bowls' use from a charge. With material I'm using, I'm doing basic 10-15 second hits at +/- 30 watts, maybe 6 or 8 per chamber. This seems closer than I thought it would be to what my Grasshopper does, I assumed it would be more. My batteries are newly bought Sony US18650 VTC4 - 2100mAh. Does it seem I'm in the right range here, given this setup? If I get batts that have higher mAh rating, will they work okay?

Apologies for more about batts than Splinter, but they are pretty closely intertwined at this point!

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
@vapviking, per Wismec,

"Cell Type: high-rate 18650 cell (discharging current should be above 25A)"asis

You can probably get away with a 3000mah 20A battery like the LG HG2 or the Sony VTC6 based on Mooch's analysis but to conform to the mfr's recommedation, I would go with the Sony VTC5a which is 2600mah & 30A discharge rate. These are the ones I bought for my 2-batt Wismec Ravage which is similar to the P80. I don't know though how much add'l. juice you are gonna get out of an additional 400mah.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I sent Ryan a link to my above post asking if it was accurate enough & here is what he said,

"The log vape is the "Timber Cannon" that I made over a year ago. I might do a desktop next year but this year is production of Splinter, Splinter Z, Sliver, Mi3* and the cooling glass as well as doing Custom... enough to keep one man busy. I should be able to ... do custom work more towards the end of the year. For now customs will be Splinter Z, Mi2 and cooling glass including the Drydrotube. The Drydrotube and soon the XL8R custom will employ the new square fin technology ... (which) has more surface area for better cooling."

*I don't know if he meant to type Mi3 or 2. But will ask next stream I catch. I don't want to drive the man crazy with questions.
shakehead.gif

@Other Side over on VLF posted that the Drydrotube is $59. I'm waiting for answers to a couple of questions about the stem so when I get them I will post back.

Last edited:

Easywider

Simple is the way
Thanks for the updates @Summer

@Easywider I hear folks talking about "Boost", what is it and how can I turn it on? I went on escribe and didn't see any options to turn it on or off.

I believe it's only available on the DNAc Models. I don't have the option on my Wismec DNA 250. In EScribe it lives with the preheat and ohm settings.

How it works :shrug: I think the short story is it helps get everything up to temp as quick as possible.

This is from an EScribe Rep on the DNA Forum

All power-controlled profiles can do Boost. We created Watt Boost to have one default profile preconfigured with non-zero Boost, nothing wild really..

For a power-controlled coil, the Punch setting controls Boost Punch. For a temperature-sensing coil, it instead controls Preheat Punch.

Boost and Preheat are the approaches to getting the coil up to boiling temperature quickly. Punch is on a 0-11 scale. (For Preheat, you can use Temperature instead of Punch.)

sickmanfraud

Being outside North America, my buying options are different than many in N.A.

I have a very nice, comfortable DNA250C 2 battery mod. I am referring to the Lost Vape Paranormal. Great mod.

This can get to me (free shipping) for less than $93 from AliExpress. I noticed the prices vary throughout the day/evening/night. Checking over a few days you may notice a time that works in your time zone.

eideal852

*I don't know if he meant to type Mi3 or 2. But will ask next stream I catch. I don't want to drive the man crazy with questions.
shakehead.gif
Now you see why even "from the horses mouth" is tough as far as 100% accuracy.
I'm in the same boat, sniping in w questions whilst trying to not interrupt the method! The opportune question moments are few and far between, and sometimes i watch a good question rise in the chat, hoping it's seen. Usually my good ones seem to get overwhelmed by a flurry of excitement about whatever is on cam, and here i am, trying for a q&a... :D

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
A day and a half in and I'm loving my new best friend. Delicious and seems to allow a very wide range of use pattern, from tasty wisps to big clouds. Bravo, RBT! It's beautifully crafted, regardless of where it was made!

As a newcomer to box mods, etc, I've started out with a Wismec Sinuous P80. It certainly seems capable of powering the V1, with some obvious trade-offs in ease of use, hey, what do you get for 30 or 40 bucks anyway?

I'm surprised that I'm only getting slightly more than 3 bowls' use from a charge. With material I'm using, I'm doing basic 10-15 second hits at +/- 30 watts, maybe 6 or 8 per chamber. This seems closer than I thought it would be to what my Grasshopper does, I assumed it would be more. My batteries are newly bought Sony US18650 VTC4 - 2100mAh. Does it seem I'm in the right range here, given this setup? If I get batts that have higher mAh rating, will they work okay?

Apologies for more about batts than Splinter, but they are pretty closely intertwined at this point!

Yeah single batt can definitely get you more at that wattage if you up the mAh. 2100 is pretty low, as I began with LG HE4 that are 2600 I think? Maybe 2500, but the Samsung 25R are similar and also solid. However after those I got 3000mah LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q which are mostly what I use since they are much better. These will all work fine in your mod, Sonys seem nice but more expensive so I have never tried them.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Summer: 30Q are 18A CDR in reality, they are conservatively under-rated by the manufacturer. VTC6 is also only 18A and over rated by the manufacturer (as often with Sony)

HG2, 30Q and VTC6 are only good for 40-50W max. At 30W they already sag a lot. Past some point it's possible to completely negate the extra capacity.

See for instance a 10A discharge:

Samsung%20INR18650-30Q%203000mAh%20(Pink)-Temp-10.0.png

vs a 20A discharge:

Samsung%20INR18650-30Q%203000mAh%20(Pink)-Temp-20.0.png

(source: https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh (Pink) UK.html)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
*Thank you Mod for fixing my post; correctly changing Planet of the Vapes to Planet Vape for RBT Canada. :tup:

@Shit Snacks, I wonder if the Samsung 30Q having only 15A discharge rate could be problematic?

LiionWholesale's prices are cheaper than most, but with batteries the shipping kills you.

https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries?page=2

Yeah I follow Kero above so I consider them Samsung version of an HG2, not quite as good maybe, but close + cheaper

Lightningvapes has good battery deals too, got 30Qs the cheapest over there including shipping thanks to LV15 code, because yeah the shipping cost ruins the good deals at every site unfortunately...

little maggie

I'm really enjoying my v1 even though I rarely used my splinter. I like the smoothness of the wood and love the cooling stem. I didn't think it would work without a whip but it cools well enough.
No problem just using the evic with it.

MonkeyTime

My V1 showed up this afternoon, I'm still playing with my second bowl. I took an old evic VTC mini, wiped off the FJ FW and took it back to stock, the firmware has been upgraded to include a warmup and 15 sec timeout.

Having not really prepared, I read the Splinter directions and set it for 35W in power mode. It killed the flavor quickly and I was able to scorch the bowl pretty easily. But there were clouds from pull one so I was sold and ready to dive in.

Set the preheat to 40W and 2 sec, the timeout to 15 sec and the power to 23W. I did a 5 second warmup, 2 @ 40W and the other 3 @ 23W. Re-clicked and waited my 2 seconds and got a mouthful of flavor among a nice sized cloud. This bowl has been worked over and I've been bumping up the W in .5W increments and now sit at 25W. The flavor is gone, but I'm still getting vapor, this thing shows a ton of promise!

I'll continue to play with settings and I'm looking at a VTBox250c and may look for that mod box thread I keep hearing about. The mini is actually working fine, never pulling over 11A during warmup or a draw, but I keep reading about the DNA250 and C with Boost and custom software, which might add to the tinkering factor, never a bad thing.

The only thing that I can see right now that isn't positive is the somewhat custom stem size. It's already apparent that while I have other vapes that offer a lot, this one already has my attention and is going to be a lot of fun!

Off to play :smug:

LambsBreath

Ryan did a stream tonight & discussed the new warranty going forward.
Thanks for posting and reporting all the info, this really answers a lot of questions!

I signed up on IG to follow RBT (or BRT) but haven't had time to get more involved there, was wondering how to be notified of dates/times for his streams?

I have a very nice, comfortable DNA250C 2 battery mod. I am referring to the Lost Vape Paranormal. Great mod.

Thanks, I was looking at the Paranormal and noticed the LostVape Triade DNA250c is currently only $93.77.
Posted in the box mod thread for feedback.

Summer

Long Island, NY
@MonkeyTime:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/w...nvection-510-vapes.25465/page-29#post-1345953

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/t...ns-and-customizing.23742/page-10#post-1344605

@little maggie, when you get a chance try the cooling stem on your original Splinter & let us know if you notice a difference.

FYI, @Other Side says the Drydrotube is 6" long. It's $59.99. It includes a 19MM male/male adapter (normally $9.99 on its own) and 3 screens. This piece of glass is the thick German stuff.

t8fl13tkvoijgvrw.jpg

@LambsBreath, I use a laptop with win 10 which gives me a sliding side bar notification that a stream for someone I'm following has started. I don't know if it's necessary, but I do stay logged into an open instragram browser window & have the IG app for streams pinned to my start menu. All this may not even be even necessary, but it works for me. As far as your phone is concerned, I'd just make sure you're logged into IG & you'll get screen notifications.

No advance notice unless someone posts on instagram or in thread, which Ryan doesn't do. Ryan will usually do at least 2 - 3x streams a day or maybe as many as 6 or 7. If no one's around to watch he'll bail out after a few minutes.

Last edited:

started@52

30q cells should be fine in mods that take two or more, single cell mods should use a 25r or better cell.

started@52,
Reactions: Summer

little maggie

I might want a Drydrotube - not sure because of the cost. I'm finally accepting that with my reduced income I need to live with a budget. Where are they available?

little maggie,

Summer

Long Island, NY
If you are in the states, VGoodiez. Here is what @Other Side he posted on VLF in reply to my question:

Do you know how many you are initially getting?

"I am going through stock now. I have a bunch of people to contact from various sources (here, IG and some Reddit) who have asked to be notified when things come in. I have to sort through that (likely tomorrow), contact them first and offer them their requests. Once I have that out of the way I will list what is left and make an announcement here and on IG since there is a lot of interest."

So, if you don't catch it this time, LM, you'll just have to wait for the next round. Over time, Ryan will get all the retailers up to flush with adequate & continual stock.

Grifo

lame why even announce it might as well just say there wont be any until the next batch. Unless they announced they were taking pre orders. And he should have known what he was getting before it even landed.

Grifo,

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Hello all!

New to this thread. My @RastaBuddhaTao splinter v1 just landed yesterday. It’s my first RBT product, and I can see what all the hype is about.

Set low it’s a juicy terp straw, and set high it’s a fog machine. Something for everyone in one device!

Bit of a newbie question:
Some of my flower inevitably falls down into the screen of the splinter and leaves some residue there. How do I clean it? I don’t mean the top hat screen where you put the flower, I mean the fine mesh screen protecting the heater inside the splinter.

Thanks in advance,
-dab8-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom