Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippogriff

Would you rather have a 18650 in your pocket or a AA? How many 18650 devices are there w/o an off switch. I think RBT vapes are the only ones.
Feel like you already know my answer: don't care, sure I could come up w/ an ideal config but I haven't manufactured it yet :), I want to try this one and I'm glad it's successfully being made which is hard to do. I wear jeans anyway so the Grasshopper is the best fit for my pocket, until I sit down because the clicker is too high above the clip and it turns on... excuse me got stop typing to light another torch...

I hear you, I like having the smallest and most minimal amount of cool stuff on my person so I'm ready at a moments notice to hitchhike onto the first Vogon ship that appears. But I have more stuff to carry and don't mind a bag, the as-designed Milaana fits me just fine. But yes, I'll likely buy a smaller, more contained, more temp controlled, and hopefully zebrawood & green glass vape if RBT makes one.

I get the constructive criticism and wanting different features and won't be blocking anybody, not my drama, but I don't agree with implications that the safety issue isn't handled, cause it is 100% by a couple quick turns and removing the battery as designed.

Wrap it up. Problem solved.

bat-efcase-lbl__82120.1436802334.386.513.jpg

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
I feel the need to remind folks that this unit is in beta and still in the unreleased section. If there is/was ever a time to offer constructive criticism (and proposed solutions!) then that time is now. If you're happy with the design then that's rad, but belittling others opinions because you're wearing rose colored glasses is ridiculous.
I am not really too sure what we are descending into here, (but anyway) the thing is, that all of these features have pretty much already been decided. The form & function of the device is virtually done & dusted. I believe that the bulk of tweaking now will mainly involve heater adjustments.

This vaporizer has not been blindly created, or fumbled together. And I think RBT deserves more credit than that. Remember that there is a reason that this boutique style vaporizer is deliverable at such an appealingly low price point.

Think about it. This is a powerhouse, on demand, full-convection vaporizer at an entry level price.

It can not be all things to all people.

That would be asking too much.

But I think, give it a chance.

Of course, feel free to throw up suggestions & ideas for your own ideal version of this vape - and future models could indeed incorporate any number of additional features . . . but I think RBT already has quite a bit tucked away up his more than ample sleevies.

But for now . . . .

:peace:

HD Springer

There is a difference between negativity and constructive criticism (usually pretty easy to differentiate, one provides potential solutions and the other whines about the problem). Not everyone is melodramatic enough to let these things hinder their purchase or leave them with a sore bottom.

I feel the need to remind folks that this unit is in beta and still in the unreleased section. If there is/was ever a time to offer constructive criticism (and proposed solutions!) then that time is now. If you're happy with the design then that's rad, but belittling others opinions because you're wearing rose colored glasses is ridiculous.

To be clear mines paid for and I'll use it if I have to PLUG the fucker in, but that won't stop me from pushing for a superior final product and offering solutions where I see fit. If you don't like it or if it makes you feel the need to post rude comments feel free to block me.

I was in no means telling anyone that they can't try and make this a better vape than it already is. I was mentioning that this is what it is. No ideas will change this as of now. Its in its final form factor. What we should be discussing IMO is different life hacks to make this customizable to the users desires (like the guitar pick sounds bad ass). The bare bones factor in this vaporizer will not appeal to everyone. But it sure as fuck does to me.

This vaporizer has not been blindly created, or fumbled together. And I think RBT deserves more credit than that.
Not sure where you are getting that from, but its certainly not my implication. I didn't quote anyone in my post, it wasn't directly aimed at any one individual.
The bare bones factor in this vaporizer will not appeal to everyone.
I asked for a means to prevent an accidental discharge, not an OLED and temp control..

If its in its final form then then it sounds like his last round of beta units was a big waste of time, regardless i'm sure it'll get fixed eventually given several very simple solutions have been presented. Once people get it in their hands (and pockets) the isolated beta incident will likely not be so isolated.

At any rate im sure a case with a buildup near the button could also be used to prevent accidental discharge in the meantime as an alternative to the plastic/pick. I'm excited to see the aftermarket support for 'Lana, particularly if nothing changes.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Guys, just because someone disagrees with you about features (or lack thereof) doesn't mean that they are arguing with you. Therefore, you shouldn't feel the need to defend your position with counter-arguments, as this can lead to arguing.

I think everyone has made their opinions known in a civil matter thus far, and I don't want people to take offense un-necessarily and devolve this conversation into a potential flame-war situation.

Thank you for your cooperation. :cheers:

GTAVaper

Jesus came bearing beer......and good advice :D

Golden rule......and all that jazz :)

Edit: Man does that avatar ever crack me up....... a result of growing up in a highly Christian "fundamentalist" household I guess :\

Kinda reminds me of the Jesus in the movie from Kevin Smith, called "Dogma", with the new friendlier "thumbs up" Jesus that has developed into such a huge meme.

WWJD? .......Crack a beer and vape on :D

Last edited:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Jesus came bearing beer......and good advice :D

Golden rule......and all that jazz :)

Edit: Man does that avatar ever crack me up....... a result of growing up in a highly Christian "fundamentalist" household I guess :\

Kinda reminds me of the Jesus in the movie from Kevin Smith, called "Dogma", with the new friendlier "thumbs up" Jesus that has developed into such a huge meme.

WWJD? .......Crack a beer and vape on :D

Buddy Christ!

2j1nbc9.jpg

MrPeanut

Zion, stealing faces since 2015
Plain and simple the Milaana design is completed. It is in beta testing to make sure the heater operates at good vape temps across the life of the battery not to implement design changes that would disrupt manufacturing and supply chain access that is already in place.

As far as cases just about anything will work. I found an old blood glucose monitor that does not work anymore. The zippered case works great. There are elastic bands to hold a battery and stem. An old film canister also fits for materials.

Milaana is simple. Put battery in. Put flowers in. Push button. Inhale. Let off button. Rinse. Repeat. Remove battery store and move along. If you want more than that from a vape there are MANY other choices Milaana might not be for you.

No one is dismissing people's ideas we are simply stating they will not happen this time around. As mentioned this (nor Zion) will be for everyone it has its own niche, positives and negatives (heh).

Maybe a moderator could make a RBT Suggestions Thread.

Early spring here... I will be out plowing the corn field with Moe at my side. Hope everyone has a groovy day.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
........Maybe a moderator could make a RBT Suggestions Thread.

Great idea!
RBT is surely very open to suggestions (as evidenced by Zion), and although there's no doubt that his design vocabulary is chock full of new terms which arent even in our dictionary yet, a suggestions thread would satiate our desire to have our ideas aired (and possibly implemented in future models?)

Although I don't feel the need for any additional features in Milaana, I'll certainly be tempted by new models which may have new features.
And I do love hearing what other ideas are suggested anyway.

I'd subscribe to that thread without hesitation :science:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
If its in its final form then then it sounds like his last round of beta units was a big waste of time, regardless i'm sure it'll get fixed eventually given several very simple solutions have been presented. Once people get it in their hands (and pockets) the isolated beta incident will likely not be so isolated.

The incident was with a Zion. So far very few people have had a beta Milaana in their hands. But yeah we need to swallow our pride for now and keep all the good ideas in a separate thread, I like this perspective. As RBT clearly told me to stop bugging him with improvement suggestions.... and I've beeen doing that since the beginning of the Zion thread if you recall... I know it's frustrating but he's very goal oriented for now, and his single goal is to get production and distribution going.

Now you might argue that the Milaana beta round was kinda expedited, but as said before the heater tech was already validated and the circuit and build are much simpler than in the Zion. In a sense, all proof of concepts have long been established. We're really in the tweaking phase.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Am I the only one who never considers putting something like the Milaana or a Grasshopper in my pocket? I look at stuff like this like I look at CDs. If they aren't in my hand, they are in the case when not in the player

Well....let's see....let's check the archives from the last survey regarding how FC members carry their gear....bear with me just a minute....ah yes...here we go! Whatdaya know, yep, survey says..... YES!

You are the only one!

Well, ya know, we're all special in so many different ways....this appears to be yours! Congrats! :clap::clap::clap:

For those new to 18650land, like me, don't forget that they have different tops, as well. Smooth and button top. These ones are smoooth...
I feel compelled to point out that I have unprotected flat top 18650 batteries that are too long for my device. If you had a selection of batteries in front of you, I'd measure them up against the stock battery, just to ensure they weren't a few mm longer. Most unprotected batteries I own fit, and I don't own any protected 18650's to confirm, but I think they're all too long.

I must be unlucky! I checked again, all my adapters are ISO. I was wrong about Stevenlmz (at least on my fc278) his joints all appear to be US. My Hyman banger is also oddly short jointed but very short..

Can you provide a measurement of the length of the joint?
I have a m2m from Steven, and it's between ISO and US standard -- it still won't function with the production heater, due to the screen changes making the clearance tighter.
To make a stir slot that holds a stirrer tight is too difficult given the project parameters i believe. In Zion it has the lid so it doesn't matter that it fits loose. In Milaana it would surely fall out all the time anyway without a lid, and since the design is mostly finalized I don't think you'll see one until maybe a version2... Remember this is just bare bones Zion heater tech with one battery small and cheap as possible (asofnow). Think of it like its your lighter, heat source, then the glass stem is actually your piece. So a good stem holder that can carry a stirrer will be best anyway imo (though I wish it was all one package like Zion, maybe some day something like that can exist here, but not for a while, not unless these do well as is first)
@thekarmawhore approved stir stick hack being standard would fix the issue, but I agree that I don't think v1 will be seeing that integrated.
If you store the unit in your pocket with the battery installed the vape will heat. That is why batteries must be removed for storage as noted above. The instructions will clearly state that when they are printed.

I am hoping that RBT will be making the small stem standard. It fits in a battery case next to a battery.

20160313_190623.jpg

You can easily find a cap, keep one battery and three capped off stems or whatever. There is a small toothpick in the case as a stirrer.

This is very pocketable for me but then again I carried a Zion around in my pocket on the farm for a year without issues.
Providing a safe, user-friendly product doesn't necessarily mean more parts.

I'm sure there are lots of ways to keep that button from being pressed inadvertently. Just takes some purposed thinking is all. MFLB didn't change a single step of their manufacturing process to provide their safety mechanism, and it works well to this day, and is inexpensive and provides a benefit to the user.

Again, a manufacturer has the choice ... simple and safe or simple and dangerous.

A product that turns on easily in the pocket unless the user specifically removes the battery is not a simple and safe product.

The important thing though is what the manufacturer does next. Ignore this safety issue or act and correct. From a government viewpoint, safety is complex and expensive (think TSA). From an entrepreneurial viewpoint, safety can and should be expected to be inexpensive and easy, just ask the MFLB manufacturer.
I suppose it's always valid to be concerned about safety, but "safety" as a concept is pretty subjective. It seems safer than a chinese water boiler, and is made of safe materials. If the battery door is still adjustable (well, removable, but in this case I'd be adjusting it a little loose), a piece of plastic should be easy to slip in there. I don't know off hand if it still uses that same assembly to hold the battery door cover on, though.

Last edited:

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
None the less it is important for manufactures using these batteries to educate and take every precaution to keep there customers safe as is the first and foremost even before quality. Safety can cost a life, quality can only make for an unhappy customer... the fist cant be fixed, the second can. A good plan for would be to buy batteries in lots and lot test them to help prevent any quality escapes. I think a few test would be a good insurance policy for anyone retailing 18650s.

Giving RBT, et al, the benefit of the doubt, perhaps there has been significant battery research completed behind the scenes as the Zi and Mi have been developed over the past several months. Of course, it would be nice to know the extent and thoroughness of such testing before one decides to purchase.

Fat Freddy,

GTAVaper

I've used Nitecore i4, Xtar (x2) VP2, SP-1, no-name Chinese (1st Li charger)......and what intrigues me right now is the Soshine H4 - Universal charger (NiMH too). I have no direct experience with it - so I'm not really recommending it......just saying that it's the next one I want to try out.

But after giving away my Nitecore i4 4-bay charger to my nephew, I think that with the Apollo, Milaana and Grasshoppers incoming.....along with my flashlights.....that a 4-bay charger will be a nice option to have in the future.

Was also interested in the eFest 4 LUC4.....but reviews showed slight undercharging taking place and 2A charging also available on SP-1, if I want one cell done quickly......otherwise rapid charging is hard on batteries and their lifespan. :o:(

Nothing wrong with the D4 but it seems like the one that is assumed to be "best" and most recommended when there are so many options available......its good to do a little research. :sherlock:

So - I've got the battery charging situation sorted.......just waiting for my new vapes to arrive. I really don't drain flashlights as fast as I would drain my new vapes :)

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Nitecore is clearly not the best brand. Let's say it's the cheapest that is not utter crap, there's a nuance here! :p

Regarding the battery safety concerns above, as long as you use the recommended IMR chemistry you should be good. They are considerably safer than the standard Li-Ions and should die more gracefully, even in case of a short. In fact they must pass the shorting test without catching fire, before being put on the market (as well as a full battery of other tests, no pun intended)

Problems can arise if you get non-IMR non-protected cells or if you get counterfeit cells. Know your source.

If the battery door is still adjustable (well, removable, but in this case I'd be adjusting it a little loose), a piece of plastic should be easy to slip in there. I don't know off hand if it still uses that same assembly to hold the battery door cover on, though.

Can you or anyone confirm whether the battery door is threaded and user removable? I'm only curious because mounting a piece of plastic to the post directly seems like the best solution for now.

Problems can arise if you get non-IMR non-protected cells or if you get counterfeit cells. Know your source.
Very true.. The counterfeit market for $5-10 batteries blew my mind, saw lots of false packaging, fake QR codes and even a few AA's in larger cases passed off for brand name 18650's on a preliminary Amazon search. Very very shady market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom