Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Back to batteries for a quick second...
Doing some more digging around trying to find those elusive VTC5's and found this: (From June 2016)

http://liionwholesale.com/blogs/rev...ubstitutes-for-sony-18650s?variant=3247460164

Apparently Sony has sent out cease and desist letters to stop selling individual batteries to the public and now only to sell in packs...
Quite a good write up with replacements reviewed.
Makes me wonder about those individual batteries being sold now...

waxdab23

Doing some more digging around trying to find those elusive VTC5's and found this: (From June 2016)

http://liionwholesale.com/blogs/rev...ubstitutes-for-sony-18650s?variant=3247460164

Apparently Sony has sent out cease and desist letters to stop selling individual batteries to the public and now only to sell in packs...

They've got them here: http://www.rtdvapor.com/sony-us18650vtc5-2600mah/

But it says it's their last shipment due to what you referenced.

GTAVaper

I've done some extensive research on batteries and the VTC5's provide awesome performance that the others just don't match in the published tests.....especially for Milaana usage. The suggested replacement batteries also mention the HB2 and HB6 without even mentioning the HB4 - which tests have shown (Mooch) to perform better than the HB6 under pulsed conditions.....similar to how a Milaana operates.

Hard to believe that Sony has done this.....but it is probably due to the popularity of e-cig sub-ohm mod meltdowns that have them doing this to avoid liability issues....since when they are stressed hard (as they can take it....and far past what is called for by the Milaana) they also get very hot.

Oh well, the other batteries are solid performers too......just not quite as good, or consistent through loads than the VTC5....in my experience.

I can see the e-cig people buying up all the low hanging fruit (existing stock that won't be replenished) but I'm sure they will still be available from people selling official "packs" that people will then break open to find individually wrapped cells ready to go.

Better get yours while you can.....but not a huge deal if you can't. The other cells will work well too.

I actually see my Milaana becoming a permanent plug-in for the home at a vape station anyways by way of the ZC mod.....whenever he publishes that (save me from redoing the research he has done to source all the right parts).....but no hurry.....I have an incoming project that will keep me occupied for a while anyways.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I'm having a hard time even thinking Zion now that I'm honed in with my long stems. I'm still looking fwd to it, but not really worried about when it'll show up. I'm much more concerned with my new joda stems (still waiting) and ogb stems (just ordered 2 days ago), as well as very curious to see how my newest Milaana (sent in for glass replacement 2 weeks ago today) performs after repair.

@RBT... love to know status of my Milaana if you happen to be reading this. Either way, all good, as I do have a couple of back ups... :razz:

Play Milaana forward...

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
The Milaana reminds me of this quote:

"Our audience is like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.” - Jerry Garcia

It is clearly not the vape for everyone, but many of us who like it have stopped using other vapes to use the Milaana exclusively or almost exclusively.

pandaphysics

So I've been using my milaana as my primary device for quite a while now. I had a really hard time with the learning curve, but now that I know all the variables (battery, draw speed, preheat, distance to load, etc) I'm really really enjoying it.

A few months ago I broke my only dhgate D020 piece. Since then I've ordered two more, only to have them turned back by customs. So its been months since I've been able to use my vapes with water. I do have a rig with a honey comb perc that I thought would be too restrictive for most vapes. However the milaana has been working wonderfully atop it. I find I'm having to learn the technique all over again, having no read on temp from mouth, but I'm really liking it through water. I've been using wax to keep the scorching down while I try to learn my technique.

waxdab23

@nondarb: when they say "authentic" it has always been true for me. Otherwise they exclude the word or sometimes use the word "styled" to indicate clones. The VTC5 they sell has tons of positive reviews and I believe they are the real deal.

Meanwhile I'm giving the Samsung 30Q a go (SKU 3935802 on FT) as it's apparently under-rated and could compare positively to the LG HG2. I'll report later on... at least it's a nicer color than that awful brown... :p

Are you sure the Samsung 30Q would work for our use? The max continuous discharge is at 15A.

The Samsung 25R have less capacity (2500 mAh vs 3000 mAh), but meet the Milaana requirement of 20A max continuous discharge.

waxdab23,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
According to mooch the 30Q can handle 20A continuous and is conservatively rated by Samsung, I think it should be close to the HG2 (I also think that the HG2 is "less 20A" than the HE4, say maybe 18A and I suspect the 30Q to be similar)

And in practice we are closer to 15A peak on the Mi and only for the top end of the cell capacity. The recommendation adds a margin for safety and to cope with cell aging. We're also more doing bursts rather than real continuous discharges.

I'll report when I receive it. I ordered a new HG2 to compare with. It should be fairer as the one I got with the Mi already has seen quite some cycles.

waxdab23

According to mooch the 30Q can handle 20A continuous and is conservatively rated by Samsung, I think it should be close to the HG2 (I also think that the HG2 is "less 20A" than the HE4, say maybe 18A and I suspect the 30Q to be similar)

And in practice we are closer to 15A peak on the Mi and only for the top end of the cell capacity. The recommendation adds a margin for safety and to cope with cell aging. We're also more doing bursts rather than real continuous discharges.

I'll report when I receive it. I ordered a new HG2 to compare with. It should be fairer as the one I got with the Mi already has seen quite some cycles.

Great info, thanks!

Shannock

I know RBT is not the best at keeping people up to date but should I be getting concerned?

My Milaana experience has been on hold since the end of June when my heater glass came unglued. After a little wait for some extra details to post home from overseas I shipped her back on 8th July and according to the tracking number it was delivered on 15th July.

The last I heard from RBT was the day before it was delivered letting me know it would be returned once it was brought up to current spec but since then nothing. I sent a follow-up email on 26th July just to see that it was returned in one piece and to see if I would receive a tracking number back and still nothing.

I don't want to keep hassling a busy guy and I still have faith but I have to admit that I'm beginning to worry, I miss my Milaana and just want to know whats going on!

:peace:

HerbieVonVapster

Yep my Milaana rapidly has become my daily driver just love the control it offers me. Really amazing how much a simple design just works.

Have yet to combust in mine. I can get some very dark avb with this. Sometimes need the high heat when pain is bad. This guys able to get me where need to be.

Been beating the 2 batteries I have so just grabbed a couple of the sony's before there gone.

Really not much else to add...just wanted check back in and say all's going well with this badboy.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I know RBT is not the best at keeping people up to date but should I be getting concerned?

My Milaana experience has been on hold since the end of June when my heater glass came unglued. After a little wait for some extra details to post home from overseas I shipped her back on 8th July and according to the tracking number it was delivered on 15th July.

The last I heard from RBT was the day before it was delivered letting me know it would be returned once it was brought up to current spec but since then nothing. I sent a follow-up email on 26th July just to see that it was returned in one piece and to see if I would receive a tracking number back and still nothing.

I don't want to keep hassling a busy guy and I still have faith but I have to admit that I'm beginning to worry, I miss my Milaana and just want to know whats going on!

:peace:

You may have fallen through the cracks. I've drawn their attention to your post. Let me know if you hear from them, please.

I had my first concentrate session with the Milaana a couple of nights ago using some degummed hemp fiber. Almost made me think this thing was made for concentrates...really good concentrate hits!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Another Milaana inspired post here (haha, which ones aren't?). Back from graduation, and what better way to celebrate than at my favorite coffee shop with my favorite tea and favorite author.

Still been trying to ride the low temps on the go and am having awesome results. Even smooth with the short stem, man I love it. The harshness was bothering me for a while but I really wasn't trying to keep the temp down recently for some reason; now that I am, I'm back to sailing away on smoothness. While it does have the power, sometimes I need to pull it back for the sake of comfortability and leave the heavy nights to my bubbler, oh boy does this thing shine through water. 90% of my usage recently has been stems, but whenever possible I try to go through water. It's just much more intoxicating sometimes and I don't normally like to get there recently.

Well, enough rambling, I came to share pictures of the place I post from the majority of the time. I couldn't come here with my other vapes because I can only take hits when no one comes out to the patio from the coffee shop, so the instant convection is necessary. The fact that it looks like an ecig outside a hipster coffee shop is an alibi in case someone does happen to walk out mid use. The area is pretty green friendly, but still need to be cautious of the red and blue.

rzUdjfr.jpg

ZjzbbbJ.jpg

TheRobbo

Just thought I would drop in and leave this.
Take from it what you will :ninja:

Oh yeah I went to a concert last night Macklemore if any body cares and decided to leave Mi at home for fear of damage or worse and rolled a couple of numbers to take instead (I know :puke:)... All I could think of while I was smoking them, was how I couldnt wait to get back to Mi so could actually get stoned... The effect is so strong with Mi:rockon:

:bowdown:RBT!

P.s. Concert was amazing!

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Time for a Bravesst Mi love rant, I apologize in advance. :evil:

It's hard to imagine how a small block of maple wood could change your life, but for me it most certainly has been part of a long healing process.

Sure mi tastes so sweet, and clouds are thick, but for me extraction is deep, providing a most dependable, soothing medication level. It came at I time I actually needed it, not just wanted. I must thank the creator of this box of dynamite.
@rbt
:tup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom