The "Project" DIY Herbal Vaporizer

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Heh! Don't forget that some serious engineering went into designing the box mod you use. The heater is simple, like in most vapes in fact, but the rest around it is far from the early mechanical mods.

ha! yeah, for sure. I guess I mean in the sense of ease of user tampering :) Its not a propriety tech battery, a 3d printed heater hidden behind closed tech :)

Also, I'd been awake for four days, I amazed I made that much sense at all :)

Joaon

Hey buddies ! :wave:

Waiting on some Erasers to be made to join you, can't wait ! :rockon:

So meanwhile, I'm playing with VTC mini firmwares, thanks to @emmdeemo

And here is what I found:

ArcticFox Firmware & NFE Team 'third party firmware updater'

Some direct links:
- NFE Firmware Updater ReadMe
- NFE Firmware Updater Releases

- ArcticFox Firmware ReadMe
- ArcticFox Firmware Releases

NFE Thread on russian forum :science:

Were you aware of this one? Does someone successfully installed and used it?

It looks like a must have, with very plenty of options and customizations,
but I can't install NFE on my mac (Windows XP on parallels Desktop) :hmm:

:ninja:

Edit: They speaks about TCF (Just when I barely begin to understand TCR ! Rhaaa !). What the hell is TCF?! :haw:

Last edited:

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Hey buddies ! :wave:

Some direct links:
- NFE Firmware Updater ReadMe
- NFE Firmware Updater Releases

- ArcticFox Firmware ReadMe
- ArcticFox Firmware Releases

NFE Thread on russian forum :science:

Were you aware of this one? Does someone successfully installed and used it?

It looks like a must have, with very plenty of options and customizations,
but I can't install NFE on my mac (Windows XP on parallels Desktop) :hmm:

:ninja:

I'm tempted to check it out. Sounds like that definitely has more customization.

I have been known to do programming, I'm tempted to download the code too and see if it makes any sense to me.

You might be able to use the regular Mac firmware updater, just with the ArcticFox Firmware? I'd make sure before risking bricking it.

EDIT: maybe no go with the reg updater, they make it sound like you want particular versions of the NFE tool even

Last edited:
So I received the 15ea glass male and female joints today.
Made up a couple units which went well. Just waiting on the 510 stems to size up the ID on the cut male sections. As is, it's tight for most 510 tips but I know they are not all created the same so will wait for the designated stems to arrive before sizing it.

Now does anyone have any tips on the drilling to minimize the micro chipping which happens on the inside of the drilled holes? Going really slowly near the end of drilling helps but seems something that we may have to live with to some degree.
Not as hard as I thought to get this far though.

How is the glass mod going? Do you find that the glass holds/draws too much heat? I know the glass is thicker so I was wondering if that creates a cold spot that prevents a uniform vape temp. How do you get the screen to hold in place, is it just domed and wedged?

Renthispace,
Reactions: KeroZen

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Patiently awaiting the 510 stems. I hope to start rolling some out through January.
The glass gets very warm but not such it will cause instant burn. Mind you, I wouldn't hold it long enough to find out.

The bowl holds about the same in volume as the Eraser but is longer and narrower. No cold spot but the load does shrink up quickly and changes the distance between the element and load as it shrinks. This is compensated for by upping the temp after a couple good puffs. I also give it a stir half way through.

You are correct that the screens are doomed and wedged. This was a hard part initially as the screen wanted to push all the way through. To overcome this, I decided on using the 510 stem to support the rear of the screen, making it much simply to install.

I really like to watch the coil as it heats and really give you an insight to wants happening. Great for experimenting with settings, like preheat etc.

For those on the waiting list. I recommend you grab a 14mm 45 degree elbow adapter for use with WTs. Also, great for the stainless steel sponge for use with Shatter and such. The setup below has yet to be cleaned. But has had over 2 grams go through it. Once the splash through or reclaim builds up in the spheres I chase it back into the ss sponge with a lighter. Also, the 45 degree give a flexible holding position in where you can observe the display and element.

Can you tell how I hold my Cuboid? LOL, the black units have terrible paint jobs... But gives it the broke in look. ;)

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
wait a second @Pipes i dont remember any report about using flat wire :| :D
Good eye. Yeah, been playing some. It's .3X.8mm flat SS. Works OK but the gauge is over the AWG 22 which I've being using. So to maintain around the same ohms, it ends up much shorter. Translates to it working harder and glows more visibly to maintain the temperature which is easily achieved by the longer AWG 22. Not going to change anything as no noticeable benefit. Maybe a thicker one, as the .3X.8mm looses too much stability in holding it's own weight when made much longer. This became more evident when using Shatter as you need to crank up the temp by 40-50 degrees. The flat is pretty much maxed and glowing bright, wouldn't want to go any higher. Makes me uncomfortable so never mentioned it.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
So, I'm tentatively liking the Arctic Fox Firmware and configuring it via the NFE Toolbox. I'm not sure I knew all of what the old firmware could do though, so I'm not 100% sure what's new. But being able to configure everything and name profiles is pretty sweet. I think it's supposed to recognize different atomizers as the different profiles, so it says "Project" with the Project atomizer, I just haven't tested switching it to something else yet.

Also, I got aorund to resizing a proper Boba Fett logo for the cuboid, that didn't need the new firmware, but is a vast improvement.

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
the firmware that arctic fox uses was once a myevic one too, its optimized for the toolbox. i think the newest myevic firmware should be compatible with the ntoolbox manager as well. but apart from the toolbox the firmwares are very similar, the profiles are in myevic too.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
the firmware that arctic fox uses was once a myevic one too, its optimized for the toolbox. i think the newest myevic firmware should be compatible with the ntoolbox manager as well. but apart from the toolbox the firmwares are very similar, the profiles are in myevic too.

interesting, like i said, didn't know 100% all of what the myevic could do. The other killer is some of those threads are in russian :)

Edit:
may have to lasso my sister, luckily she knows some russian :)

rabblerouser,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
That was my understanding too. The Arctic Fox was a branch off the myevic early on which went into the Russian programmers realm. Both are equally confusing for the newbie. And now having to pick even the open sources firmware to run your device... The Arctic Fox claims it can make it perform like a DNA chipset. IMO, this claim is pushing it some and quickly dossed my belief in what else they are saying. I'm sticking with the myevic guys. They are open to questions and even support for those having trouble.
Good group of guys.

E0x

but in the other hand the arctic fox support RX200 mod , myevic not.

i think you don't need a new firmware so far the dif is not that big , the only thing is the fire time but now i am too adjusted to the 10s time is work perfect for me.

E0x,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I got the eVic VTwo Mini in the mail today. It really isn't that much smaller, the lighter weight is more
noticeable. But it just feels less unwieldy. especially holding it upside down for water use. I'll probably be using it most of the time; the cuboid may be my new daily driver for e-cig purposes.

That was my understanding too. The Arctic Fox was a branch off the myevic early on which went into the Russian programmers realm. Both are equally confusing for the newbie. And now having to pick even the open sources firmware to run your device... The Arctic Fox claims it can make it perform like a DNA chipset. IMO, this claim is pushing it some and quickly dossed my belief in what else they are saying. I'm sticking with the myevic guys. They are open to questions and even support for those having trouble.
Good group of guys.

interesting... definitely if i wanna try and read the code, russian comments will not help. I'll probably flash back to myevic and explore that a little more. Maybe do side-by-side now that I have two compatible devices.

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
I have an eraser and a glass version on order as well as a cuboid on the way. I have read through the entire thread but I have a few questions to help me one my way:
  • Between lg hg2 vs samsung 25r, which would be the preferred battery for this application? I seem to be limited in my reasonably priced choices as Canada has changed the laws on shipping 18650s.
  • How is the bowl set up on the glass version? Would any 14mm joint work?
  • Once my cuboid comes, what can I do to prepare it before my project atomizers come?
  • Aside from re-reading this thread (which I plan on doing), what else can I read to understand this whole thing better?
Thanks in advance and I hope you all have a great new year!

Bizkat

I have an eraser and a glass version on order as well as a cuboid on the way. I have read through the entire thread but I have a few questions to help me one my way:
  • Between lg hg2 vs samsung 25r, which would be the preferred battery for this application? I seem to be limited in my reasonably priced choices as Canada has changed the laws on shipping 18650s.
  • How is the bowl set up on the glass version? Would any 14mm joint work?
  • Once my cuboid comes, what can I do to prepare it before my project atomizers come?
  • Aside from re-reading this thread (which I plan on doing), what else can I read to understand this whole thing better?
Thanks in advance and I hope you all have a great new year!
The "Project" could use a FAQ.

natural farmer

Has anyone ever used an Hcigar VT75 nano to power the Project? Seems interesting with its small dimensions and DNA75 chip. Good price as well!!

R1nelBo.jpg

x3hcmrL.jpg

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
Has anyone ever used an Hcigar VT75 nano to power the Project? Seems interesting with its small dimensions and DNA75 chip. Good price as well!!

no, I just added the vtc vtwo mini to my collection which is even a little bit smaller than that, and I am quite happy with it so far, although obviously less battery life with the single 18650 versus the dual in the cuboid.

I see that the VT75 can take a 26650, so that explains the larger size.

rabblerouser,

natural farmer

no, I just added the vtc vtwo mini to my collection which is even a little bit smaller than that, and I am quite happy with it so far, although obviously less battery life with the single 18650 versus the dual in the cuboid.

I see that the VT75 can take a 26650, so that explains the larger size.
No, not the Nano... VT75 is the bigger brother. VT75 nano is only 18650 and quite smaller.

natural farmer,
Reactions: Pipes

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
No, not the Nano... VT75 is the bigger brother. VT75 nano is only 18650 and quite smaller.
ok, i missed the 'nano' part. That brings the size near identical to the vtwo mini, much more interesting. Except that I already got the vtwo mini. I watched one review video, but not sure about wanting to pay the extra cost

rabblerouser,
Top Bottom