Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

tharealmclovin

Just planning ahead here for my new herc. If I want the temporary washers I get 1-#10 stainless washer and 2-#10 stainless lock washers for the AAF?

tharealmclovin,

asimplebeast

I asked some questions about the Herc a few pages back, and after humming and hawing the last few weeks, I pulled the trigger and bought a Persei from work. I ended up buying the Nibbler, the Hammer and the 7.4 battery set. The shatter I have works better than I was anticipating in the 5.0 Carts. At first I was also disappointed with the taste, so I did a google search and found out that I was burning the oil (7.4V w/ 5.0ohm cart gets hot fast I guess). Reading what other people had tried, I had success improving the flavor by pulsing the power button rapidly instead of holding it down. Is this the best way to keep the oil from burning and ruining the flavor w/ the battery set-up and carts I have?

I've noticed that after I first filled the cart it was kicking ass, but as I've smoked it the last few days the vapour production is getting lighter. Sometimes I'll be hitting it and I'll suddenly get a thicker cloud though , so I'm guessing that's some BHO making it's way down onto the coil?

EDIT: Just heated the centre of the cart because it's something I skipped on loading (lol) and I'm getting alot more vapour production now.

I'd like to add that the Persei is the first vape "pen" I've owned. I did some reading before buying it, saw the warning to new users and got it anyway. So far so good, I haven't broken any carts yet but is there anything I should be aware of to avoid ruining them?

Last edited:

OF

:popcorn:Prediction...loading error, but he won't admit it and gets offended.

I'd say closer to lead pipe cinch personally. Dollars to doughnuts and then some? I don't think it's so much not admitting it as just not just not understanding? If he can calm down long enough we can hopefully sort him out just like all the others. But I don't think we're there yet.

Another major problem, I bet, is he's running the supplied 5 Ohm carts at 7.4 Volts? As we know that's OK for experts, but not a good way for new users.

Normally, I'd also suggest checking the suitability of the concentrate (running a foil test) to ensure that's not a factor in the apparent failure to feed.....but I'm in no hurry to have my head handed to me for trying to help. Someone else can do it this time.

But, yeah, TRM, I think you've got it. G has to be careful because of the old cart legacy with their taste issue. Those who were here for that fun understand that some responded to the protective coating (glycerine?) poorly, remote as it is, that's still a possibility. My guess is G was trying to eliminate it? Otherwise, we know the drill that seems to 'always work'. Use good concentrate, weight the empty cart, load half a gram to start, reload when you get to .2 grams from empty, be very careful to properly preheat the center of the cart on loading as the instructions show (no doubt the loading issue), start with 2.4 Ohm carts at 3.7 Ohms and stick with them until you master the system, prime carefully, never do dry burns for any reason, learn to control the heat in the two heaters, cool down properly to avoid plugs.

Or you can wing it and take your chances. Apparently, that's not working out much better for him than it did for us?

Best wishes.

OF

exit

Just boiled my herc for 8 minutes after ISO wash and it came out all sticky :uhh:
Did i do something wrong haha or should I just give it another boil?

exit,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
OK. Let me start over.
Hi dogkeha:

Welcome to the fun!

I had some issues when I first got my PERSEI however you seem like an experienced CANNABIS user.
I was like a STORM TROOPER in the First STAR WARS Movie.
The guy at my Local Smoke Shop told me that for concentrates this PERSEI was the one to own.
Not knowing any better I bought one.
I had a foul tasting cart that leaked like crazy.
Pissed angry confused I thought I got taken advantage of.
If I was 10 years younger I would have beat and kick the smoke shop employees A@@!
Just like you I went on this site and ranted.
This member "OF" calmly walked me through it.

So I bought a pack of 2.4 carts and when I used the first cart I was hooked.
I went to the SMOKE SHOP and bought a 2nd one.
Once I figured it out I became hooked.
Also many helped me other than just "OF" (BOB, G, DUBECRIDER) and VITOLO there are more however these guys really helped me a lot.

The PERSEI is a powerful Mother F^cker!

The carts are only an accessory.

Find what works best for you and W9-Tech are straight up people and will get you on the right track!

My collection is tiny compared to many who post here!
With your wax get a HERCULES SR71 with 2 x 18350 batteries on a PERSEI then you might understand my addiction!

Last edited:

WaxOnWaxOff

I just determined that my oil coil is popping up after the first hit or so. the vacuum is pulling it up towards the mouth piece, after which it does not product a meaningful amount of vapor.

What is the trick to keeping the coil down?

WaxOnWaxOff,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I just determined that my oil coil is popping up after the first hit or so. the vacuum is pulling it up towards the mouth piece, after which it does not product a meaningful amount of vapor.

What is the trick to keeping the coil down?

Number 10 stainless steel washer!

ataxian,

WaxOnWaxOff

Number 10 stainless steel washer!

I don't understand.. When the coil is all the way down, there is still about 1/4" gap between the washer and the coil. The coil is moving upwards from the vacuum, up against the washer. Is this not a problem?

Someone earlier mentioned similar behavior from what i'm experiencing and it was determined his coil wasn't staying all the way down, so it sounded like we had the same issue.

WaxOnWaxOff,

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
I don't understand.. When the coil is all the way down, there is still about 1/4" gap between the washer and the coil. The coil is moving upwards from the vacuum, up against the washer. Is this not a problem?

Someone earlier mentioned similar behavior from what i'm experiencing and it was determined his coil wasn't staying all the way down, so it sounded like we had the same issue.

How hard are you pulling on your Herc? You don't want to pull hard but rather use the Sherlock method of hitting. Hopefully this helps.

kindbeats,
Reactions: ataxian

bruno13

insomniac
When did the Persei start comming with s ahut off timer? I just received a replacement head from W9tech and there is a 20 second shutoff timer onmy new Persei top. My other head and my double top do not have timers. I do no like it. To me that was one of the most important selling points of a Persei. I want my old top back. Can I turn the timer off? Can I replace this top. I am really disappointed.

kronus

Hello G and Persei

I tried contacting support my Persei unit is not firing up the carts anymore the , first it was the dual top long ago but now the single top is not functioning and I miss the power of the Persei on the long battery one which is the 3.7 batt or the 2 little ones

My Persei is # 149

Also want to get the shorty setup as others have going looks sweet

Thx G hope to get some help with my Persei went back to the original Omicron on the stock carts to hold me over:)

kronus,

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
Caribbean med sessions are thaaa tits! All you can eat cruise was well taken advantage of heh. I still marvel at this device and its abilities.

Delta9 for LIFE

IMG_20130805_123113_zpsdf497e32.jpg

IMAG1309_zps45c48d6a.jpg

1375884727749_zps6319942f.jpg

Darb

When did the Persei start comming with s ahut off timer? I just received a replacement head from W9tech and there is a 20 second shutoff timer onmy new Persei top. My other head and my double top do not have timers. I do no like it. To me that was one of the most important selling points of a Persei. I want my old top back. Can I turn the timer off? Can I replace this top. I am really disappointed.
Shut off timer won't be Herc or bender friendly. The V1 Iris has this as well. Hoping the V2 Iris won't.

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
Shut off timer won't be Herc or bender friendly. The V1 Iris has this as well. Hoping the V2 Iris won't.

It's weird that they didn't mention adding the shut off feature. I remember about a year and a half ago when the HVD first came out, there were a lot of people pissed off because they switched to a click on/click off style button without mentioning it. Now I will be extra extra careful assembling the SR-71 when it arrives, as to not short out my original tops. :ninja:

First time poster here... heard a SR-71 fly over that made me create an account and post...

I was going to order one of these last month, but as I've watched things develop I'm glad I've held off because it seems there are a few kinks being worked out? If I bought one today, would it come with a SS washer and then I would be shipped the manufactured air flow washer later? Or are the air flow washers almost ready for market?

I'm also vary curious about using this unit for flowers. You have to swap out the rod if you want to switch between flowers and oils/hash/concentrates? That kind of takes away some of it's practicality for me, unless I bought two persei/sr71's. :\ Can you take the oil coil out and load the whole thing with dry flowers and go?

One of the big points for me was the fact that you could use this to do everything: flowers, hashes, and oils/concentrates. I also really loved the SS tank designed for concentrates/oils/hashes. Was it really that inefficient of a method? Why was this dumped? Just curious... the SS oil coils seems like a great idea as well though... I just liked the idea of easier (and maybe cleaner?) changing out of different oils/hashes/concentrates with the tanks versus the SS oil coils. You need to sell little glass jars or something for SS oil coil transfer.

OF

Gentle Friends,

As many of us are gearing up to drive SR71s (as well as other high power loads like Bender) I thought it might be a good time to review something we've talked about before, 'not all batteries are created equal' in our use here. And going by mAh ratings can be a very poor guide.

As it happens I've been messing about with a battery tester idea. It's basically a switch to engage a dummy load (for 'no load/full load' testing) while a display shows the voltage. Pretty simple, but graphic. And, as Dreamer so often chides me, some folks like pictures better. So here goes. First up is an AW 18350. In the first photo the contacts are held on by the magnets and the display shows 'unloaded' (actually a small load is caused by running the display, basically trivial to us).

4.22 Volts unloaded. Now to push the magic switch and put a (nominal) four Amp load on it:

4.13 Volts loaded, a drop of .09 Volts, not a lot, really.

Now, let's go to 'brand X' IMR 18350 with a 'much better' capacity, 900 mAh, not the 700 AW offers:

4.16 unloaded:

3.96 Volts loaded, .20 Volts lost this time.

Finally is the 'much better' 1100 mAh rated protected Li Ion:

4.17 unloaded:

3.87 this time, .30 lost driving the 4 Amp load.

While that may seem like a small drop, remember that a 10% drop in voltage also means a 10% loss of current for a 20% loss of power. One fifth. What this means, in practice, is the Li ions on their best day are basically like half discharged AWs.

We pay a lot of hard earned money for Persei and SR71, not to mention goods to put in them, IMO this is not a good time to try to save a dollar or two on inferior batteries. Internal resistance is very important to us.

We can actually make a pretty good measure of the internal resistance from this simple test. In the first case we have .09 Volts divided by 4 Amps, .0225 Ohms. The second is .2 divided by 4, .050 Ohms. And finally we have .3 divided by 4, .075 Ohms. I made some effort to keep resistances in my test low, but there's no doubt some contribution to the total resistance measurement which means the difference between battery qualities is really even bigger that this test indicates.

It's also worth mentioning that in the Persei driving say SR71 at 7.4 Volts the resistance is twice because of two batteries so the drop is doubled (although the percentage remains the same of course).

OF

Last edited:

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
First time poster here... heard a SR-71 fly over that made me create an account and post...

I was going to order one of these last month, but as I've watched things develop I'm glad I've held off because it seems there are a few kinks being worked out? If I bought one today, would it come with a SS washer and then I would be shipped the manufactured air flow washer later? Or are the air flow washers almost ready for market?

I'm also vary curious about using this unit for flowers. You have to swap out the rod if you want to switch between flowers and oils/hash/concentrates? That kind of takes away some of it's practicality for me, unless I bought two persei/sr71's. :\ Can you take the oil coil out and load the whole thing with dry flowers and go?

One of the big points for me was the fact that you could use this to do everything: flowers, hashes, and oils/concentrates. I also really loved the SS tank designed for concentrates/oils/hashes. Was it really that inefficient of a method? Why was this dumped? Just curious... the SS oil coils seems like a great idea as well though... I just liked the idea of easier (and maybe cleaner?) changing out of different oils/hashes/concentrates with the tanks versus the SS oil coils. You need to sell little glass jars or something for SS oil coil transfer.

The Air flow washer and the top SS washer will be shipped later once it is ready.

The SR-71 can do herbs and oils in its 7.4v stage you just have to learn to feather the button and its frustrating. We are working on a shorter coil so that you can load up oils and herbs at the same time or separate. This is in the near future.

Edited: Also no other device can do both at the same time that i know of. Not only that with the Iris feature a 3.7v will actually do oils like a 7.4v so no changing is needed, all you have to do is up the voltage to lets say around 5v, but then again to get the convenience you would need to get more items. Just like how everything else in the world works.

Manual Transmissions cost less then Automatics.

Multi Use Vehicles cost more then single use vehicles.

A smart LCD tv costs more then a Normal LCD TV

A fridge with a water dispenser costs more then one without

You get the point.

Actually it wont since it is there for safety reasons. It is a reminder to let go of the button and press again just in case if it ever gets jammed in the pocket. I doubt a half a second of letting go and pressing again is going to do much to be considered none friendly with the Hercules or the Bender since the two are Ceramic heaters and retain heat much better then a thin wire, not only that the two device users are asked to flicker the button as soon as it reaches temperatures you like. I keep saying this over and over and over again you don't need 1200 F to vaporize oils. You never have you never will but the Herc and Hammer have this capability all you have to do to access it is let go of the button for half a second and press again. Its not so hard to do this. To even consider this little motion of the button on the Persei as none user friendly is just wrong.

Last edited:

OF

I doubt a half a second of letting go and pressing again is going to do much to be considered none friendly with the Hercules or the Bender since the two are Ceramic heaters and retain heat much better then a thin wire, not only that the two device users are asked to flicker the button as soon as it reaches temperatures you like.

Doing a bit of translation I read that to be '.....to be considered not friendly...' and '....asked to feather the button...'. I disagree. When you push the hot button you expect it to get hotter. This means the only clue you get as you wait for more heat is the light has gone out to tell you it's getting colder, not hotter, as time goes on. Much of the time the user can't be watching the light, even if he can see it?

And lack of timeout is a feature on Omicron V2, right? Seems like a 'sauce for the goose' kinda moment. They can't both be 'right'.

I understand the need of some protection since you can't lock it out but IMO this is not a convenient feature to have around.

OF

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Doing a bit of translation I read that to be '.....to be considered not friendly...' and '....asked to feather the button...'. I disagree. When you push the hot button you expect it to get hotter. This means the only clue you get as you wait for more heat is the light has gone out to tell you it's getting colder, not hotter, as time goes on. Much of the time the user can't be watching the light, even if he can see it?

And lack of timeout is a feature on Omicron V2, right? Seems like a 'sauce for the goose' kinda moment. They can't both be 'right'.

I understand the need of some protection since you can't lock it out but IMO this is not a convenient feature to have around.

OF

Thats right the lack of a time out is a feature on the Omicron but the Omicron has a on/off feature, but lets not forget what issues that brings up with taste and burned oils. The Persei is always on but With the lack of a on/off feature it is just a precaution of not having it turn on by accident and stay on for a while. if lets say its in your pocket. I just dont see a temperature drop of a few degree to be any importance vs the need to let people know that learning to let go of the button is a good thing every 10-20 seconds.

OF

I just dont see a temperature drop of a few degree to be any importance vs the need to let people know that learning to let go of the button is a good thing every 10-20 seconds.

Thanks, G, I get your take I think.....I just don't agree with it. I too miss that 'feature' in the newer Persei heads, I find timeout to be a PITA as it's not in all vapes so a guy can space out and forget the details. Something I suspect you don't since you use Persei all the time?

Also, since I don't carry it around in my pocket, while I understand the safety point it's completely useless to me personally. If I could I'd turn it off I would, and I'm generally big of safety features.

IMO it's not a matter of "a temperature drop of a few degree(s)", but rather a matter of it getting colder not hotter as expected. I think I'm not alone in that.

It is what it is, of course.

OF

Top Bottom