Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

givemesome

Hmm where did you buy this? was it ever working? You also tried the double top and that also does not fire the 1.5 ohm? how many 1.5 ohm carts do you have? do you have a 5.0 ohm? can you try 3.7v with 5.0 ohm cart see if the cart warms up?

I exchanged it through you guys at your van nuys location :)
I have tried all that stuff I have 2 5.0s and 1 1.5 ohm..it was working great til I put tqo 18350s in with a 5.0 and it stopped working all of them

I have tried all that stuff I have 2 5.0s and 1 1.5 ohm..it was working great til I put tqo 18350s in with a 5.0 and it stopped working all of them
It worked up until and hour ago

Hmm where did you buy this? was it ever working? You also tried the double top and that also does not fire the 1.5 ohm? how many 1.5 ohm carts do you have? do you have a 5.0 ohm? can you try 3.7v with 5.0 ohm cart see if the cart warms up?
Tried the 5.0 and nothing

givemesome,

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer

Ok i see what the issue is just the case of bad luck. Come by Tuesday after 12pm if you can, I will be happy to test it out for you personally and take care of you for your troubles. This is super interesting as to why both tops would crap out.

tsc.v8

1) I have thought about your problem, quick question are you allowing time between hits? 2) Is all your oils melted down? (3) are you storing it on its side? (4) How much is in it now? there is about a .2-.3 buffer that is needed to be maintained.

Thanks for your response! To answer your questions:

1) I have recently started checking the cartridge before taking my next hit, to make sure it's not too hot, but it's not a solid habit yet - I'm not sure if I'm allowing enough time between hits.

2) I have done my best but I don't know how to be sure that the oil is melted down (other than making sure it goes down the fill tool correctly and heating the cartridge).

3) I was storing them on their side until I realized it was a problem.

4) I have a cartridge with .4-.5 in it that seems to heat well, though perhaps a bit slowly - yet all I can get from it is hot air. If there's a clog I have no idea where.

tsc.v8,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Thanks for your response! To answer your questions:

1) I have recently started checking the cartridge before taking my next hit, to make sure it's not too hot, but it's not a solid habit yet - I'm not sure if I'm allowing enough time between hits.

2) I have done my best but I don't know how to be sure that the oil is melted down (other than making sure it goes down the fill tool correctly and heating the cartridge).

3) I was storing them on their side until I realized it was a problem.

4) I have a cartridge with .4-.5 in it that seems to heat well, though perhaps a bit slowly - yet all I can get from it is hot air. If there's a clog I have no idea where.

1. around 20-30 seconds between hits is good, while waiting for this also pull air through the cartridge while its not working to help cool it down and preserve the taste. This will be fixed with the 1701's and less headaches.

2. Here is what you do, when you see the oil going down into the cartridge pick up the cartridge from the threaded side gently suck the air out, this helps the oil go down without any air trapped inside.

3. Storing them upright is best.

4. Heat this cartridge up and follow #2 and pull the air bubbles out. Be careful to do it gently. As you might pull oil into your mouth.

tsc.v8

1. around 20-30 seconds between hits is good, while waiting for this also pull air through the cartridge while its not working to help cool it down and preserve the taste. This will be fixed with the 1701's and less headaches.

2. Here is what you do, when you see the oil going down into the cartridge pick up the cartridge from the threaded side gently suck the air out, this helps the oil go down without any air trapped inside.

3. Storing them upright is best.

4. Heat this cartridge up and follow #2 and pull the air bubbles out. Be careful to do it gently. As you might pull oil into your mouth.

1. I doubt I was waiting that long between hits, so that's one thing I'll change.

2. I have tried this many times and it doesn't seem to help. Sometimes I feel a clog in there clear, sometimes not, but either way I only get hot air or the tiniest wisp of vapor (not enough to have an effect).

3. I always store cartridges upright now.

4. As I mentioned (#2), I've tried this repeatedly without being able to fix the problem. I tried it again a few times just for good measure - same result.

I don't know what to think. The cart that does hit well has much better airflow, so I guess you're right about the other cart having a clog. I just can't seem to fix it.

Also, is the cart supposed to "run dry" at around .2g or is that just a guideline for when to fill it?

tsc.v8,
Reactions: OF

TommydCat

Also, is the cart supposed to "run dry" at around .2g or is that just a guideline for when to fill it?
I find .2 to be almost dead-on for when a cart stops producing vapor. If it was a good producing cart with no leaks, slap another .5 in there and you'll get that .2 back (though .2 of that .5 will remain after that run), and if a different concentrate, the flavors might mix for a bit, but not as much as I expected.. If that cart was a mess, you can sacrifice the cart to try to recover the .2 (other posts in this thread explain the process).

But almost exactly when I get .2 over the empty weight before I did the first fill, the hits start getting whispy, and while I can still taste it for a while, it's definitely not giving near the capacity it once was (no visible vapor).

I tend to get several grams of a given concentrate at a time, so one cart per concentrate and 2-3 grams and it gets put in the retired collection if there were no serious clogs or leaks (with the .2 still in it), otherwise it gets tossed (I may try to get the .2 out first). If I ever run out of new carts, I can try to recover one of the "retired" ones usually starting with a good ISO soak - I've had good success with this for 2 carts, but that's a low sample number for statistics and I'd rather trust a fresh new one if given the choice ;)

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Bob how was the trip? How did the Herc hold out?

Tsc ill answer you when I get to Vegas, I need to give your answers some thought.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

tsc.v8

Thanks - I appreciate it! I'm starting to think that the problem cartridge is not heating the same as the other one, so maybe it's just no good anymore. What I may have done to make that happen is another question. :)

And just to dilute my problems with something positive, the other cart is working like a dream! I'm really enthusiastic right now because I loaded it with .1 of "Bruce Banner" and got the most milky, almost solid-looking hits. If I can learn to do that reliably I'll be very happy.

tsc.v8,

tsc.v8

.1 is not enough to load! This might be your issue with carts, try to always keep .2-.7 in the cart at all times.

Sorry, my statement was inaccurate - it had already been filled with .2g.

THC Scientific: I have carefully retested both cartridges. I found that they do heat equally, after all. I guess I have a stubborn clog (and don't know how to clear it).

(And now for something completely different)...

To reclaim from dead cartridges, couldn't you just use some combination of 1 - manually scooping out what you can and 2 - shaking and/or soaking with ISO, etc.?

I see TommydCat already recommended the ISO soak. Sorry I missed that.

tsc.v8,

givemesome

Ok i see what the issue is just the case of bad luck. Come by Tuesday after 12pm if you can, I will be happy to test it out for you personally and take care of you for your troubles. This is super interesting as to why both tops would crap out.

Btw my names tim who should I ask for?

Just had an idea, what color are your batteries?

Whoops didnt see this they are red.

givemesome,

exit

If you're loading carts and they start smoking out of the top, is it badly overheated?

I usually load until I see the beginning of wisps and then it works great. I accidentally locked my torch on and it went really quickly to smoking for a good 10-15 seconds. Now I'm not getting any hits out even though it's a new cart freshly loaded with .5...

Basically did I accentially kill my cart heating it that much at loading, if i've been unable to get any hits out of it should I just reclaim?

I might have done the same thing to a 5.0 I was refilling too unfortunately. Except the weird thing with that is that after a little heating I see wisps come out from between the cartridge and button top. I must have really fucked up?

e: Shit, just noticed my fill tool was really dirty. It might have dripped oil into the air holes :bang: I can draw air from both ends but no hits.... sigh

exit,
Reactions: tsc.v8

tsc.v8

I might have done the same thing to a 5.0 I was refilling too unfortunately. Except the weird thing with that is that after a little heating I see wisps come out from between the cartridge and button top. I must have really fucked up?

I don't know much, as many can attest, but it appears to me that there are small holes for air right above the threads at the base of a cart. I have noticed that if I push a tiny bit of air back into the cart during a hit, vapor comes out of those holes.

I just noticed that the holes are not visible when the cart's screwed in so now I'm wondering, too.

tsc.v8,

exit

Hmm, well even after checking/cleaning the air holes on both sides again they barely heat up at all. Too bad

I wonder how I killed them so fast? Maybe I was just really unlucky and loaded two duds? Might I have fried the top heaters?

OF

I don't know much, as many can attest, but it appears to me that there are small holes for air right above the threads at the base of a cart. I have noticed that if I push a tiny bit of air back into the cart during a hit, vapor comes out of those holes.

Air normally enters the two holes (after dodging it's way in past the 'castellated rim') down between the wall and the rubber seal, across the bottom of the pin (through the slot) and up into the vent leading to the furnace. Those holes must stay clear and the socket area free of oil for it to work right.

Hmm, well even after checking/cleaning the air holes on both sides again they barely heat up at all. Too bad

I wonder how I killed them so fast? Maybe I was just really unlucky and loaded two duds? Might I have fried the top heaters?

Those air holes have nothing to do with heat, except when so fouled with oil the connection in the connector fails?

Hard to tell what killed carts you can't look at, but dry burns are high on my list. A very popular way to wreck carts at a young age. With concentrate on a 2.4 Ohm heater it's darn near impossible to burn one out in my experience (please don't take that as a challenge.....)

OF

tsc.v8

:bang: I can draw air from both ends but no hits.... sigh

For what it's worth I'm having the same problem with one of my 2.4 cartridges (I do get a little vapor). THC Sci is going to get back to me about it.

tsc.v8,

exit

Those air holes have nothing to do with heat, except when so fouled with oil the connection in the connector fails?
OF

Just to be clear - if it did get so fouled with oil, might it still sound like air is flowing through the cartrdige but it would never work regardless?

Sadly if enough junk got in those air tubes I might have a few newly loaded carts to reclaim from :(

For what it's worth I'm having the same problem with one of my 2.4 cartridges and THC Sci is going to get back to me about it.

I know its not my Persei because I cant hit them with my O PHOS either. I know I fucked up my carts loading them but am trying to figure out where exactly I went wrong because maybe I've been doing something incorrect since the start.

-----------==========

Edit below:

I just found this video on youtube. I am the type to throw away the instruction manual and just see how everything goes together but that kind of behavior doesn't always work with finer tools like this.

That is way less heat than I have ever used to load a cartridge. I think I was right in assuming most of the carts I had that just didnt work from the get go I broke em. Tomorrow or later tonight I'm gonna try to get my 1.5 back from these 3 and give it another go with some new carts and a lot less heat & more patience.

For me personally it seemed the PV manual made it seem like you wanted to use a lot more heat when loading. Hopefully next cart goes nicer.

givemesome

Just to be clear - if it did get so fouled with oil, might it still sound like air is flowing through the cartrdige but it would never work regardless?

Sadly if enough junk got in those air tubes I might have a few newly loaded carts to reclaim from :(

I know its not my Persei because I cant hit them with my O PHOS either. I know I fucked up my carts loading them but am trying to figure out where exactly I went wrong because maybe I've been doing something incorrect since the start.

-----------==========

Edit below:

I just found this video on youtube. I am the type to throw away the instruction manual and just see how everything goes together but that kind of behavior doesn't always work with finer tools like this.

That is way less heat than I have ever used to load a cartridge. I think I was right in assuming most of the carts I had that just didnt work from the get go I broke em. Tomorrow or later tonight I'm gonna try to get my 1.5 back from these 3 and give it another go with some new carts and a lot less heat & more patience.

For me personally it seemed the PV manual made it seem like you wanted to use a lot more heat when loading. Hopefully next cart goes nicer.

I wonder if the batteries fried the cartridges

givemesome,
Reactions: tsc.v8

TommydCat

Too much heat while loading was a problem I kept repeating myself for the longest time, and I think the flow was adversely affected since it seemed like those carts would never hit at all. I think torching the sauce cooked it down so it was much thicker, but unfortunately you don't see this unless you destroy the cart.

I like the hair dryer idea (forget whose that was - edit: Hi, Bob!), but I think it's on my list after the past half dozen carts seem to work much better for me, but I'm still convinced they didn't need that much heat to load...

tsc.v8

worked great, buddy. spend all day recovering.
everyone loved it

as to filling....
i recommend hair dryer if you don't have low watt gun

Thanks for sharing that, Bob - my mini torch can be used as a heat gun but I never thought to use it that way when filling carts.

Top Bottom